Starting To Feel Like Doug’s Gonna Be A Fall Guy

Runtherock

7 hours ago, xstonr said:

I'm thinking Doug will be here next year. He hasn't lost the team and the players still want to play for him. But he needs help calling plays that are more creative so I hope Lurie tells him that and brings in some Offensive help. Howie needs to just concentrate on crunching the numbers and let someone else draft players.

I'm starting to think lurie is going to run it back with everyone. Howie, Doug and a lot of the coaches etc. That's just my opinion of course and I have no idea what Lurie is thinking but I think he's going to have excuses / reasons for this disaster of a season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm starting to think lurie is going to run it back with everyone. Howie, Doug and a lot of the coaches etc. That's just my opinion of course and I have no idea what Lurie is thinking but I think he's going to have excuses / reasons for this disaster of a season. 

I think you're right. Covid and the massive disruptions it has brought are probably enough of an excuse. Covid doesn't seem to have disrupted the better run teams in the NFL though. Hmmm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can definitely see that.  Especially now that some time has passed after he was reportedly so furious and having had an opportunity to watch this team compete with some of the better teams  (even beating one of the best) with Hurts running the offense.  It will be easier to put more of the blame on Wentz ... you know what they always say: "how Wentz goes the team goes".  Sure injuries, COVID-shortened offseason, etc. will also be factors.  

• Like 1

They have already brought in Offensive help for Doug with the additional veteran Coaches. And it didn't work out.

So, fans want more Offensive help??? Who do you hire? Why would Doug listen to another coach that gets added to the staff that he may not want??

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

They have already brought in Offensive help for Doug with the additional veteran Coaches. And it didn't work out.

So, fans want more Offensive help??? Who do you hire? Why would Doug listen to another coach that gets added to the staff that he may not want??

I think people have a misconception that Doug doesn’t listen. He listens all the time. He tells us moments when he works from his "gut” and he tells us when he defers to other people. He listened to Foles in the Super Bowl on the Philly Special. Doug listens to others who decide if the Eagles should go for it on 4th down or with the 2pt conversions. I think Doug listens a lot more than people give him credit for. I think this comes down to frustrations. People want to see a smooth running offense, but let’s be honest here. The offensive line is in shambles, Wentz has totally lost it at least for this season, rookies and 2nd year players (other than Sanders) are progressing much slower than they should, and the execution on the field has suffered greatly from this. If nothing else Hurts (even with his rookie mistakes) has brought some consistent play at the quarterback position that’s helping to mask some of the problems facing this team, but they’re still there. You can’t always make lemonade when you’re given lemons year after year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I can definitely see that.  Especially now that some time has passed after he was reportedly so furious and having had an opportunity to watch this team compete with some of the better teams  (even beating one of the best) with Hurts running the offense.  It will be easier to put more of the blame on Wentz ... you know what they always say: "how Wentz goes the team goes".  Sure injuries, COVID-shortened offseason, etc. will also be factors.  

I think the last few games could again fool Lurie in to thinking that things aren't as bad as they seemed. 

• Like 2

Someone for sure will have to be the scapegoat, aside from Schwartz who will likely be gone since his contract is up.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howie tries to pin it all on Carson and they trade him away, keeping everyone else in tact.

Howie is the master of shifting blame.  While Wentz has been the biggest problem by far, that doesn't excuse the terrible roster, cap, and draft management by Howie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the last few games could again fool Lurie in to thinking that things aren't as bad as they seemed. 

Yep.  A lot of coaches going to owe Hurts a steak dinner for saving their jobs come season’s end.  

8 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Give him an offensive line that isn’t playing 4th stringers, a quarterback who doesn’t have his head crammed up his ass, and one stud receiver. Then get out of his way. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Kind of like the last 4 games last year? I think you're right, especially if Lurie is looking for reasons to not make Howie look bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Kind of like the last 4 games last year? I think you're right, especially if Lurie is looking for reasons to not make Howie look bad.

Yep just like the last 4 games of last year. Just like the last few weeks of 2018 too.

I think somebody has got to pay for the elephant in the room Wentz, a huge investment by the team in both draft and salary capital. I think it’s DP who gets the slip. I like him but he deserves to take the fall

• Like 1

After today he needs to be.  Awful game plan. McCarthy looked like Vince Lombardi compared to Pederson.  Defense was struggling and had major injuries so the plan should be to run the ball which Dallas sucks at.  Grind it out and keep the offense out there.  Yet what did they do?  Right.  I’ll admit wentz was awful this year but Pederson is proving week after week he’s a much bigger problem.  He needs to admit he needs an OC or he needs to go.  

• Like 4

I hate to be a prisoner of the moment but after today, yeah he needs to go. That was a downright pathetic performance over the last three quarters from the coaches on both sides of the ball, players, etc.

Doug Peterson’s refusal to run the ball is absolutely embarrassing. Don’t let the numbers fool you. Most of the Hurts runs were him scrambling out of the pocket. Any time the team is down, Doug is like every online Madden rookie. They panic and completely refuse to run the ball.

End of the road for Doug.  Probably Schwartz too if they want a fresh start.  And a bunch of older expensive players as well.  It’s time to turn the page which will be good for the team.  Been a long time coming.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Miami said:

End of the road for Doug.  Probably Schwartz too if they want a fresh start.  And a bunch of older expensive players as well.  It’s time to turn the page which will be good for the team.  Been a long time coming.

Unfortunately Roseman stays lol.

Not a good day for Doug, but I still say the problem is roster and injuries. Give him a team with talent and we’ve seen what he can do. I mean the guy running personnel decided before the season that Avonte Maddox was a starting #2 cornerback who reminded him of Darrell Green and Aaron Glenn. The same guy who thought Reagor over Jefferson and JJAW over DJ Metcalf were no brainers. The problem isn’t Doug.

• Like 2

I still believe whether he goes or stays will be Doug's decision. I doubt Schwartz will be back no matter what. They can easily paint him as the fall guy. They'll probably try to get Dan Quinn as DC if Doug decides to stay. 

I sincerely hope he is fired. 1 and 4 after a bye, team is never prepared, and we struggle in the beginning of every season since Reich and difillipo left. Players leave here and do much better in other offenses. Carson regressed under his care. Doug is just horrible. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Runtherock said:

Not a good day for Doug, but I still say the problem is roster and injuries. Give him a team with talent and we’ve seen what he can do. I mean the guy running personnel decided before the season that Avonte Maddox was a starting #2 cornerback who reminded him of Darrell Green and Aaron Glenn. The same guy who thought Reagor over Jefferson and JJAW over DJ Metcalf were no brainers. The problem isn’t Doug.

Agree and you can add Jones instead of Kamara.  Sure nobody is pefect in drafting but Rosman is flat out awful.  I don't have season tickets anymore but I would not renew them if Roseman is kept on as head of personnel and drafting.  Watching Jefferson play all year and realizing he was the guy drafted one pick after Reagor is nauseating.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, Eagles1960 said:

Agree and you can add Jones instead of Kamara.  Sure nobody is pefect in drafting but Rosman is flat out awful.  I don't have season tickets anymore but I would not renew them if Roseman is kept on as head of personnel and drafting.  Watching Jefferson play all year and realizing he was the guy drafted one pick after Reagor is nauseating.  

23 GMs passed on Kamara after the Eagles picked Sidney Jones.  The only player taken in those picks that has even made a Pro Bowl is JuJu (one year as an alternative when Antonio Brown bowed out), taken 19 picks after Jones, and whose career ain't exactly on the upswing.

Jones was always a risk, a guy that because of his achilles injury, had a decent chance never to become an impact player.  But he was also a guy who, if he recovered sufficiently, might have become an excellent player at a premium position.  And there was no good way to predict which of those scenarios would play out other than seeing what happened after the expiration of time.  One can whine about it all they want, but it was not like there was an obvious value choice they passed up for Jones ... if there was, Kamara wouldn't have been passed over by 23 other GMs.

Roseman certainly has not had a great track record on drafting the past several years, but expending the 43rd pick on Sidney Jones in a very weak draft class is really not the pick to complain about.

BTW, here are all the picks the Eagles have had in the first 100 picks of the past 3 drafts:

2018:  49th pick - Dallas Goedert

2019:  22nd pick - Andre Dillard

2019:  53rd pick - Miles Sanders

2019:  57th pick - JJ Arcega-Whiteside

2020:  21st pick - Jalen Reagor

2020:  53rd pick - Jalen Hurts

That's it.  Mostly because of trades that loaded up the 2017 Super Bowl team, they have been bereft of top picks.  Not one was a premium pick, with 21st the highest.  There are by my eyes two moderate successes (Goedert and Sanders), one incomplete but looking promising (Hurts), one too early to tell (Reagor), one too early to tell but leaning against (Dillard) and one unmitigated failure (Arcega-Whiteside).  That seems ... extraordinarily normal ... by NFL standards, considering the slots of all those picks.

Everything after the top 100 is a crapshoot -- the Eagles did pick up a few potential contributors (e.g., Maddox, Pryor, Mailata, Herbig) and the jury is still out on a lot of players.

• Like 2