Peter King: Howie Can Figure Out Wentz's Contract

D-Shiznit

Peter King on his Monday morning column talked about Howie moving Wentz:

3. Howie Roseman will figure out the Wentz contract if he needs. All we’ve heard about the Wentz deal is it will tie Wentz to the Eagles for the next two years, because moving him or cutting him is too cap-onerous. "No contract is untradeable,” former Eagle exec Joe Banner says. Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap has the best and most tolerable possibility for moving Wentz: If the Eagles trade him after June 1, 2021, he’d count $19.27 million on the cap for Philly in 2021, then $24.5 million in dead money in 2022, when the cap should finally be rising again. Especially with Hurts’ second-round rookie contract making the Wentz cap hits hurts less, it’s doable.

4. The Colts are the most logical suitor. Makes total sense. Wentz reunites with former Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, the ultimate patient and calm teacher, and the Wentz mental makeover happens in the decidedly low-pressure-cooker of central Indiana. There’s no WIP there. GM Chris Ballard never met a big deal he was afraid to make. But—and this is a very big but—the Eagles most assuredly have not decided to deal Wentz. As of this morning, I bet the majority of their top people think he’ll be back in 2021. But if Hurts has three more games like Sunday’s? We’ll see.

5. The NFL still likes Wentz, so his future, while cloudy in Philadelphia, is brighter than you think. One GM whose team will be in the market for a quarterback this offseason told me last week he will seriously study Wentz when the season ends. He said: "What’s happened with him concerns me. But I’ve seen him play well too many times to think there’s some fatal flaw there. I don’t think the Eagles will move him. I wouldn’t if I were them.” It’s tampering for a GM to say, "I’m interested.” But I can sense there will be some interest if the Eagles decide to trade him, questionable contract and all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Peter King on his Monday morning column talked about Howie moving Wentz:

It's a good article, but he's wrong about point #3.

Trading him before his roster bonus in 2021= $34M total dead cap in 2021 and $0 dead cap in 2022 and onwards.  Doing what he suggests means $44M total dead cap in 2021 and 2022 combined, which is much worse.

3 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Trading him before his roster bonus in 2021= $34M total dead cap in 2021 and $0 dead cap in 2022 and onwards.  Doing what he suggests means $44M total dead cap in 2021 and 2022 combined, which is much worse.

If I am not mistaken, what your talking about happens if they trade him before June 1st, what King is talking about is what happens if they trade him after June 1st. He believes spreading out the cap hit would be better than one big gulp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If I am not mistaken, what your talking about happens if they trade him before June 1st, what King is talking about is what happens if they trade him after June 1st. He believes spreading out the cap hit would be better than one big gulp.

Yeah, but it really doesn't matter whether we spread it out or not since we can shift cap space into future years (or from future years into the current year) whenever we want by restructuring deals.  So cap space in 2021 vs 2022 doesn't make a difference.  What matters is the total dead cap over both years, which is minimized by doing the Pre 6/1 trade instead of Post 6/1.

The QB factory would be down to Hurts.  What happens if Hurts gets figured out by defenses, doesn't adjust to deliver more passes in the pocket or...gets hurt?

One of the reasons Howie cited for taking him is that Sudfeld wants to go somewhere else with a chance to be a starter. So would they re-sign him, plus pay money to Wentz to play for another team?

You think Lurie wants to see his investment going to play for another team and pay for it?

You keep Wentz and Hurts, it is what it is at this point.  You see how things go.  At one point Wentz was on his way to being elite and the future.  So you don't know if Hurts is now the future either.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The QB factory would be down to Hurts.  What happens if Hurts gets figured out by defenses, doesn't adjust to deliver more passes in the pocket or...gets hurt?

One of the reasons Howie cited for taking him is that Sudfeld wants to go somewhere else with a chance to be a starter. So would they re-sign him, plus pay money to Wentz to play for another team?

You think Lurie wants to see his investment going to play for another team and pay for it?

You keep Wentz and Hurts, it is what it is at this point.  You see how things go.  At one point Wentz was on his way to being elite and the future.  So you don't know if Hurts is now the future either.  

Not knowing if Hurts is the future is not a reason to keep Wentz.  We already know Wentz is NOT the future so there's no reason to keep him.

If Hurts doesn't work out we'll need to find someone else anyway.

• Like 3

The money is there. Might as well get as much as you can for Wentz. The team still needs to build so get draftpicks while you can. The dead money is on the books regardless. The good news while that money is on the books they don’t have to pay Hurts. Trade Carson and they better not try and be coy here. Get the best deal they can and move on. There is nothing good coming from Hurts and Wentz both on the roster next season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There is nothing good coming from Hurts and Wentz both on the roster next season.

This I agree with. 

9 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Not knowing if Hurts is the future is not a reason to keep Wentz.  We already know Wentz is NOT the future so there's no reason to keep him.

How can we say we are concerned with teams figuring out Hurts, but not be more concerned that teams have completely figured out Wentz? His fall clearly looks like a guy who the league has figured out just like they figured out Chip Kelly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phil77 said:

This I agree with. 

It will be a crap show, and it will be 100 times worse if they let fans back into the stadium.

• Like 2

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

It will be a crap show, and it will be 100 times worse if they let fans back into the stadium.

Neither one of them will be able to operate freely it would be very bad for both QBs, the franchise, coach, and teammates.  They would have non-stop questions after and before every single game. 

• Like 4

The old adage still holds, if you have two Quarterbacks, you have no Quarterbacks. Pick one between Hurts and Wentz, bringing back both will only hurt them both.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, phil77 said:

Neither one of them will be able to operate freely it would be very bad for both QBs, the franchise, coach, and teammates.  They would have non-stop questions after and before every single game. 

This season almost confirms Carson can’t operate well with a backup quarterback, and this guy his apologists tell me is nothing more than a running back playing quarterback. If he can’t handle that then how does he beat Tom Brady when he’s throwing for 500 yards in a game? Anyways my point is the pressure was hardly there this season, but next season if he were named the starter the pressure would be to extreme levels. Then there’s the chance he’s benched and everyone is uncomfortable. The only good move here is to trade Carson and wish him the best. 

• Like 1

Mike Florio of PFT says Indianapolis is going to be the destination, and that the Eagles by saying they are committed to Wentz are simply trying to create leverage.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

Well they're paying a lot of money to Wentz as well so why trade him and take a hit?  What if Hurts gets hurt, then you have at QB...?

A lot can happen in the offseason.  People can be fired, new OC or QB coach could come in, Wentz could use the time off to get himself right and come back strong next year.  Too many unknowns.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The money is there. Might as well get as much as you can for Wentz. The team still needs to build so get draftpicks while you can. The dead money is on the books regardless. The good news while that money is on the books they don’t have to pay Hurts. Trade Carson and they better not try and be coy here. Get the best deal they can and move on. There is nothing good coming from Hurts and Wentz both on the roster next season.

Someone yesterday suggested that if Wentz wanted a trade, he could negotiate a new contract as part of the agreement which would allow it to make sense for everyone.  I don't know the contract side of things if that's how it could work but it's a thought.

As agitated as i am (most of us) with him, id still like to hang on to him next season. Never know! Hurts may look good for the remainder of 2020 and blow chunks 2021. Wentz MAY get his head out of his arse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arsenal79 said:

He is talking about a trade after June 1st, which is 100% correct.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He is talking about a trade after June 1st, which is 100% correct.

He's not correct that its the best or most likely move.  The best and most likely move is a pre 6/1 trade as I've detailed.  Howie isn't going to eat an extra $10M of dead cap for no reason.

3 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

He's not correct that its the best or most likely move.  The best and most likely move is a pre 6/1 trade as I've detailed.  Howie isn't going to eat an extra $10M of dead cap for no reason.

Eagles may not have a choice, as they desperately need to create 2021 cap room.

Says he'll be surprised if the Colts don't want him. Compensation could be anywhere from a late 1st to a 2nd+change.

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Eagles may not have a choice, as they desperately need to create 2021 cap room.

He'll have a choice.  It's easy enough to create enough additional 2021 cap room by restructuring other guys.  I'd guess Cox and Hargrave would be at the top of the list since they're still under 30 and a reasonable bet to be good for a couple more years at least.

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Says he'll be surprised if the Colts don't want him. Compensation could be anywhere from a late 1st to a 2nd+change.

A 1st or a 2nd would be a home run deal for us.  Get it done Howie!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arsenal79 said:

He'll have a choice.  It's easy enough to create enough additional 2021 cap room by restructuring other guys.  I'd guess Cox and Hargrave would be at the top of the list since they're still under 30 and a reasonable bet to be good for a couple more years at least.

Can't keep kicking the can down the road, that is how you end up in the situation currently in.

Just now, downundermike said:

Can't keep kicking the can down the road, that is how you end up in the situation currently in.

Agree, but they have to do so just enough to get under for 2021.  There's no choice re: that.  My plan avoids kicking $24M of dead cap for Wentz into 2022.