Peter King: Howie Can Figure Out Wentz's Contract

D-Shiznit

44 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

He's not correct that its the best or most likely move.  The best and most likely move is a pre 6/1 trade as I've detailed.  Howie isn't going to eat an extra $10M of dead cap for no reason.

The reason the Eagles might be willing to eat the additional $10 cap hit in 2022 is because of the potentially reduced salary cap in 2021 and likely higher salary cap relative to 2021 in 2022.

EDIT: I didn't see the response directly above.  Still, the salary cap levels in 2021 and 2022 do make it a possibility the Eagles would be OK with a post 6/1 trade.  Additionally, it is possible Wentz's value post-6/1 grows if some team's starting quarterback goes down with injury in training camp/preseason.

They need to figure something out and either move on from Wentz or Pederson. Pederson is 11-2 as a head coach WITHOUT Wentz as his starting QB. It doesn't take anything more than common sense to realize that there is a major disconnect between the two and the offense looks significantly better when someone else is at QB post Frank Reich. I'll take the guy who won a SB with a career backup. Keeping Wentz around as a 30 million dollar backup is going to be a major distraction. If they can find a taker and get back so much as a 2nd or 3rd round pick I would eat the 35 million next year. Better to remove the distraction and move on and potentially get something for him than have him as the backup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

The reason the Eagles might be willing to eat the additional $10 cap hit in 2022 is because of the potentially reduced salary cap in 2021 and likely higher salary cap relative to 2021 in 2022.

I don't think so.  They can easily move money from 2021 to 2022 elsewhere as I've detailed.  Why eat an additional $10M of total dead money when they don't have to?

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Someone yesterday suggested that if Wentz wanted a trade, he could negotiate a new contract as part of the agreement which would allow it to make sense for everyone.  I don't know the contract side of things if that's how it could work but it's a thought.

I’ve heard and read so much about Carson’s contract and I still don’t get it. People have said this deal was a dream for the Eagles yet it feels like a nightmare. Carson may need to restructure if he really wants out of Philly. Whatever happens I think it’s best for both parties to part ways. 

Just change the Title of this threat to " The Official I hate Wentz Fan Club threat" 

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Just change the Title of this threat to " The Official I hate Wentz Fan Club threat" 

Nobody hates Wentz so you can stop with the strawman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

How can we say we are concerned with teams figuring out Hurts, 

I don't buy that figure Hurts out BS.

An offensive scheme can be figured out for sure, but Hurts is a dynamic player, he'll adjust to whatever a defense brings his way even if the offensive scheme is figured out.

And all of this Hurts played OK talk I heard today from the haters is crazy, Hurts played great!!  He didn't force anything, whatever was there he took and mind you, he was playing the the same subpar talent that Wentz played with.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

An offensive scheme can be figured out for sure, but Hurts is a dynamic player, he'll adjust to whatever a defense brings his way even if the offensive scheme is figured out.

And all of this Hurts played OK talk I heard today from the haters is crazy, Hurts played great!!  He didn't force anything, whatever was there he took and mind you, he was playing the the same subpar talent that Wentz played with.

Hurts did something in his first start that a 5th year Wentz has never been able to figure out. He hung in the pocket as long as he could, and when there was no other option he would scramble outside and either take what was there or throw it away and live to fight another down. He did this several times. Little things like this make a difference but the fact that a 5th year QB can't do this is astonishing.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’ve heard and read so much about Carson’s contract and I still don’t get it. People have said this deal was a dream for the Eagles yet it feels like a nightmare. Carson may need to restructure if he really wants out of Philly. Whatever happens I think it’s best for both parties to part ways. 

If he played at the level he did when Reich was here, it was a good contract and they were able to lock him up before other QBs got paid.  I understood the thinking there...but then a year later they saw that 3 years in a row they had another QB ending the season in a playoff game for them and couldn't rely on him so they drafted insurance.

But imagine Carson being set to hit free agency this year and having Hurts ready to take over.  Would make the decision easier for sure.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

If he played at the level he did when Reich was here, it was a good contract and they were able to lock him up before other QBs got paid.  I understood the thinking there...but then a year later they saw that 3 years in a row they had another QB ending the season in a playoff game for them and couldn't rely on him so they drafted insurance.

But imagine Carson being set to hit free agency this year and having Hurts ready to take over.  Would make the decision easier for sure.

The only thing I see making this hard is the money, but the Eagles created this problem when they drafted Hurts. They knew this all was a possible outcome so clearly they had their own internal doubts about Carson. 

35 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I’m with you on this. 

15 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

It's a good article, but he's wrong about point #3.

Trading him before his roster bonus in 2021= $34M total dead cap in 2021 and $0 dead cap in 2022 and onwards.  Doing what he suggests means $44M total dead cap in 2021 and 2022 combined, which is much worse.

If they come to the conclusion that they want to move on from Wentz, I’d prefer they just bite the bullet and take the full $33.8M hit in 2021.  That way they’d be completely free of that albatross of a contract immediately (and not be dealing with another $24.5M dead money hit to the 2022 cap).  And they’d have a QB playing on a rookie contract to offset the dead money hit for the year (i.e. the payout to the QB position would be practically the same as paying a top QB on his 2nd contract).  In 2022 you’d then have substantial cap space freed up.  Seems to be the smartest move IMO.  But again, they’d need to be sure they want to move on from him prior to the 3rd day of the new league year (and find a trade partner).  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Peter King on his Monday morning column talked about Howie moving Wentz:

3. Howie Roseman will figure out the Wentz contract if he needs. All we’ve heard about the Wentz deal is it will tie Wentz to the Eagles for the next two years, because moving him or cutting him is too cap-onerous. "No contract is untradeable,” former Eagle exec Joe Banner says. Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap has the best and most tolerable possibility for moving Wentz: If the Eagles trade him after June 1, 2021, he’d count $19.27 million on the cap for Philly in 2021, then $24.5 million in dead money in 2022, when the cap should finally be rising again. Especially with Hurts’ second-round rookie contract making the Wentz cap hits hurts less, it’s doable.

Actually, the "best" scenario that the article he referenced (aside the pipe dream one they also listed) is if they can trade wentz before the 3rd day of the 2021 calendar season.  That way he is off the books before his roster bonus kicks in for an 850k savings

Hard to do but theoretically possible.  They would have to leverage their relationship with Frank Reich and get Indy on the phone the second their season ends to hammer out a deal.

53 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Hurts did something in his first start that a 5th year Wentz has never been able to figure out. He hung in the pocket as long as he could, and when there was no other option he would scramble outside and either take what was there or throw it away and live to fight another down. He did this several times. Little things like this make a difference but the fact that a 5th year QB can't do this is astonishing.

Exactly.  It's the "little" things like this which are so alarming about Carson.  Either he's just not intelligent enough to realize he needs to throw it away, or he's too stubborn to do so.  Either one is totally unacceptable after 5 years.

Jalen Hurts displayed more poise and better decision making in his first ever NFL start than Carson Wentz does as a 5 year veteran.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can Howie figure out a way to get out of Elliott’s contract and the over 10mil guaranteed money?

That one is going to be impossible.  No way another team is dumb enough to trade for Elliot and take his deal off our hands.  

Keep both and have them compete in training camp next year. Maybe that will light a fire under Wentz. If instead he acts entitled and pouty, then that's a signal he should be traded. 

I am certain during the off season there will be a lot of analysis on what happened this year and how it could be fixed for next season. They aren't going to walk away from Wentz just because Hurtz had a few good games. I believe the organization would need to be convinced there is no solution to Wentz's problems and that not even a coaching change could right the ship. I believe the organization will be willing to listen to anyone that thinks they can right the ship without trading Wentz and taking a cap hit.

5 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

Exactly.  It's the "little" things like this which are so alarming about Carson.  Either he's just not intelligent enough to realize he needs to throw it away, or he's too stubborn to do so.  Either one is totally unacceptable after 5 years.

Jalen Hurts displayed more poise and better decision making in his first ever NFL start than Carson Wentz does as a 5 year veteran.

Yep. That and the fact that it appears he is weak mentally based on the Foles and Hurts stuff tells me the idea of him ever being an elite QB is wishful thinking. I think he can be what he was in 2018 and 2019 which is a good but not great starter, but that will probably require a change of scenery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

The QB factory would be down to Hurts.  What happens if Hurts gets figured out by defenses, doesn't adjust to deliver more passes in the pocket or...gets hurt?

One of the reasons Howie cited for taking him is that Sudfeld wants to go somewhere else with a chance to be a starter. So would they re-sign him, plus pay money to Wentz to play for another team?

You think Lurie wants to see his investment going to play for another team and pay for it?

You keep Wentz and Hurts, it is what it is at this point.  You see how things go.  At one point Wentz was on his way to being elite and the future.  So you don't know if Hurts is now the future either.  

He was best throwing from the pocket Sunday than outside of it. Just an fyi.

They either need to trade him or if Hurts plays well the rest of the way then they need to confirm that Hurts is their starter going in to TC. Course it should be an open battle in TC but I don't think it does anyone any favours by leaving it open ended to the media. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Nobody hates Wentz so you can stop with the strawman.

It's true.   I don't hate Wentz... but I do hate his fan club.  :D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, T-1000 said:

I was impressed with that. I mean, he literally waited until the very last moment to throw it away....I saw at least once where he was about to surely get tackled and had the presence of mind to heave it out of bounds.....

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They either need to trade him or if Hurts plays well the rest of the way then they need to confirm that Hurts is their starter going in to TC. Course it should be an open battle in TC but I don't think it does anyone any favours by leaving it open ended to the media. 

Wentz mentally can't handle competition so I agree with you.  I seriously doubt though that the organization can risk trading the wrong QB and keep Wentz for the 2nd time, assuming Hurts continues to play well. They need to move on from Wentz either way. Too much damage mentally for him to rebound here. There is also the fact that every single time another QB takes over they look better, the team looks better, and Doug looks like a significantly better coach. Something just isn't right with Doug and Wentz and it doesn't take anything more than common sense to see the obvious.

• Like 1