Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #4

Captain F

6'6 240lbs from Philadelphia.  Kid is a monster.  He might emerge as the best WR in this class. While listed as a TE, he has better hands and size then anyone in this draft.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pitts was outlandishly good this year. He's going to go high...top 15 probably. With Ertz's likely departure, he'd be an interesting option for the Eagles. If they want to keep playing out of 12 personnel at a real high rate, the offense would change less with Pitts taking over for Ertz. That would probably necessitate keeping Goedert inline more, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:54 PM, RastaPasta said:

Pitts was outlandishly good this year. He's going to go high...top 15 probably. With Ertz's likely departure, he'd be an interesting option for the Eagles. If they want to keep playing out of 12 personnel at a real high rate, the offense would change less with Pitts taking over for Ertz. That would probably necessitate keeping Goedert inline more, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.

Richard Rodgers played pretty well before his injury. Doubt they go in that direction

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Richard Rodgers played pretty well before his injury. Doubt they go in that direction

Agreed although injury has been his biggest issue since he arrived in Philly so they need to look to move on there i think. But he is a cheap option.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, judunno said:

Oh yeah, I totally doubt it as well. I just wonder if they view running plays out of 12 personnel a current necessity, or if they plan on making it a permanent fixture of the offense. My guess would be the former, but who knows.

27 minutes ago, RastaPasta said:

Oh yeah, I totally doubt it as well. I just wonder if they view running plays out of 12 personnel a current necessity, or if they plan on making it a permanent fixture of the offense. My guess would be the former, but who knows.

Good point actually. Maybe it's not so far fetched. I guess it depends on if Jalen is the starter. Makes more sense to have 12 personnel out there for the RPO run game. How is Pitts as a blocker?

26 minutes ago, judunno said:

Good point actually. Maybe it's not so far fetched. I guess it depends on if Jalen is the starter. Makes more sense to have 12 personnel out there for the RPO run game. How is Pitts as a blocker?

I don't think he's stout, though from what I hear he had plenty of snaps inline. I don't think he's useless at blocking but if he and Goedert were together, Goedert would be inline the most with Pitts running routes. I've seen some guys say Pitts is WR2 in this class. He's 6'6 246. 

This guy's game log this season was insane. 

image.png.54846442057933cfb7d14e2f8401445f.png

12 hours ago, RastaPasta said:

I don't think he's stout, though from what I hear he had plenty of snaps inline. I don't think he's useless at blocking but if he and Goedert were together, Goedert would be inline the most with Pitts running routes. I've seen some guys say Pitts is WR2 in this class. He's 6'6 246. 

This guy's game log this season was insane. 

image.png.54846442057933cfb7d14e2f8401445f.png

But is he an elite run blocker like Riley Cooper? If not pass.

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, What The F said:

6'6 240lbs from Philadelphia.  Kid is a monster.  He might emerge as the best WR in this class. While listed as a TE, he has better hands and size then anyone in this draft.  

When Howie takes this kid at 6, he's going to use this logic 

Just kidding, I don't think he likes the TE position that much? 🤨

If both Smith and Chase are off the board, do you make a case for Pitts this early?

Where would you rank Jaylen Waddle? I've seen Waddle go as high as top 10 in some of these mocks. Could he be this year's Henry Ruggs III with a fast 40 time at the combine? He reportedly runs a 4.27 which would put him in contention to be picked pretty high.

14 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

When Howie takes this kid at 6, he's going to use this logic 

Just kidding, I don't think he likes the TE position that much? 🤨

If both Smith and Chase are off the board, do you make a case for Pitts this early?

Where would you rank Jaylen Waddle? I've seen Waddle go as high as top 10 in some of these mocks. Could he be this year's Henry Ruggs III with a fast 40 time at the combine? He reportedly runs a 4.27 which would put him in contention to be picked pretty high.

I was thinking more along the lines of trading back to 8-12 and picking up a 2nd rounder. If he is bpa at 8-12 take him. Then take the best CB available in the 2nd. or use your pair of 2nds to jump back into the 1st and grab another stud bpa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:34 PM, What The F said:

I was thinking more along the lines of trading back to 8-12 and picking up a 2nd rounder. If he is bpa at 8-12 take him. Then take the best CB available in the 2nd. or use your pair of 2nds to jump back into the 1st and grab another stud bpa. 

I'm not sure he makes it past 8 unless the Panthers trade with us for 6.

He's a top end talent at either TE or WR, and he's absolutely a legitimate pick at 6, in fact given the offenses tendency to use TE's as primary receiver if they go offense then right now my guess would be this guy honestly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We probably won’t take a TE that high ever but this kid is handsdown one of the elite prospects in the draft.

The team that takes him will immediately have a top 5 TE in the league. He moves like a WR and has the hands and frame to catch everything thrown his way. Just elite!

• Like 2

Fun facts:

In 1973, the Eagles used the 6th overall pick in the draft on Charle Young out of USC. He ended up having a successful career, winning Rookie of the Year with the Eagles, making 3 Pro Bowls, making 1st team All-Pro twice and 2nd team once, as well as winning a Super Bowl with the 49ers.

In 1988, the Eagles used the 13th overall pick on Keith Jackson out of Oklahoma, who was even more successful than Young, making 6 Pro Bowls, three 1st team All-Pros, and a 2nd team once, in addition to winning a Super Bowl with the Packers.

Maybe the third time taking a TE so high brings us a guy who wins a Super Bowl with the Eagles? You know they say third time is the charm. 🤔

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jenkins27 said:

I honestly wouldn’t mind this pick at 6. He’s gonna be really good.

Me neither! Out of curiosity, started doing some homework on this kid this week. I know, that’s really late for a draft nut like me but hey, never thought a TE could be in play early let alone at 6.

Until I read about and saw gametape of this kid. This is not a normal TE. It’s basically a X receiver on steroids playing the TE position. Heck, I would have no problem starting him at receiver. He’s such a unique weapon, doesn’t really matter where you line him up. If Sirianni will take part of the Colts playbook with him, we’ll use two TE sets anyway. Heard him talking about scheming to create favorable matchups, play to your strenghts etc. Well Nick, if you’d take this guy, even at No.6 overall, you won’t have to scheme for him. He is the definition of a matchup nightmare. 

Dare I say it, if Chase is off the board I would not be mad at all if they take Pitts over the likes of Surtain, Farley, Smith and Waddle. Talking about a handful of elite prospects in each and every draft. Well Howie, here you have one and he’ll be right there for the taking!

• Like 3

I'm 100% on board, I think he's gotta be the safest pick in the entire draft and has the highest ceiling as well. How well he moves at 6'6" 240 is unbelievable, 0 drops, A++ at adjusting and making contested catches, and is the ultimate mismatch weapon

Truly, he moves so well that people calling him a tight end are grossly underestimating how good he is. He's a top 5-10 WR prospect ALONE, with the ridiculous versatility to line up with his hand in the ground next to a tackle. 

Even if we didn't hire Sirianni and want to utilize 12 personnel, just as purely a WR prospect, I'd be all in at 6 for this guy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Does anyone think he'll transition to WR in the NFL?

Transition is a big word but I think he could do it. He’s basically a WR in a TE body (6’6” // 240 lbs).

The good thing is that size wouldn't be a problem for Pitts, whether you consider him a TE or WR. 6'6 and 240 lbs would be a matchup nightmare for shorter corners and still be a handful for the bigger ones.

For reference, Calvin Johnson was 6'5 and 235 lbs, so you could argue Pitts can stay around his current playing weight at XWR or lose about 5-10 lbs to help with speed. 

Once you remove the label of TE and view this guy as a XWR, there's a lot to like here at 6th overall in terms of potential value. If he runs a good 40 time, it'll only help his case.

• Like 1

Well as a life long UF fan i can honestly say that he is the most complete prospect i have ever watched in the orange and blue. I'm talking generational talent at the position. Top 5 TE in the league instantly as a rookie. Am i biased? Absolutely. Am i far off? I don't think so. I think he's already Waller and will be better.

I am shocked so many people are already on board with him, figured a lot of people would be put off by the tag of "TE"

To be clear, i believe he is and will be a TE. However, i don't feel like in today's NFL that designation matters. IF he were here with Goedert we can all safely assume that DG will be the inline TE. Pitts would be the move piece, I would assume they would legitimately scheme ways to get Pitts on a the weakest cover LB (or really any LB) or a slot CB, or even a slow/small CB. While also maximizing Goedert as well against a LB or slot CB. These can both be done. Interestingly IMO, for as much 12 personnel as we loved to run i was never overly impressed with it under the previous regime. I think it could be run so much more effectively, especially with a freak of nature at TE in place of Ertz (And i LOVE Ertz)

I fully expect him to test off the charts at the combine, with the exception of the 40 time. I would say 4.6 at the highest, but i watched him run past and through SEC CBs all year so i am not concerned about that at all. He's strong and will not be jammed at the line. He's quick and his routes are CRISP for a "TE". His hands are unreal, if the ball is near him it's HIS. Pitts did not drop a pass all year. He is so good at knocking a defenders hands away from him and then high pointing a ball. His reach and vertical will test very well.

He absolutely manhandled first/second round CB Tyson Campbell, UGA could only stop him by knocking him out of the game with a concussion. Pitts was regularly put on CB's all year and beat them regularly as well. UK Corner back Kelvin Joseph (and at the time current SEC leader in interceptions) called out Pitts before their game. Pitts had 99 yards and 3 TD's, 1 of which he caught the ball with Joseph in his hip and ran 40 yards for a TD without being touched and Joseph trailing the whole time. Joseph opted out of the season after that game. Pitts has that "and i took it personally" MJ mentality. He is a competitor. He wanted to play so badly vs LSU but Mullen wouldn't let him, please don't get me started on that.

His blocking is the one thing i continue to see brought up and to me it is completely overblown. is he George Kittle pancaking guys into the endzone while laughing? No absolutely not. He will however get in your face and block you and he will force you to go through him or around him. With his size and reach that is no easy task for LB's and DB's. He is willing and able. Do i expect him to hold off Myles Garrett from sacking the QB? No and that's not what he will be brought in for. I would fully expect him to be the second TE on the LOS if they are in a heavy formation and running that ball which would most likely put him blocking a LB or DB anyway. Goedert would be the primary blocker.

I am a very big Chase fan, He is my #1. If he is off the board at 6 then i really think Pitts should be on the table, He would easily be BPA and wouldn't be a traditional "TE" in any sense. That is my biased opinion.

• Like 5

I'm on board. Especially if both Smith and Chase are off the board, I wouldn't want to trade down. Take Pitts at 6 and use him as a versatile offensive weapon. Have him line up outside at WR, move him inside to TE, change it up.

31 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm on board. Especially if both Smith and Chase are off the board, I wouldn't want to trade down. Take Pitts at 6 and use him as a versatile offensive weapon. Have him line up outside at WR, move him inside to TE, change it up.

I see Pitts as a consolation price if Chase and Smith are off the board, you don’t feel comfortable taking Waddle, Surtain or Farley at 6 and can’t find a dance partner to trade down.

At 6 there’s only one player I really want. If that kid is off the board, it would be a toss up between the above mentioned prospects.

I’m not down on Smith by any means but I do have questions. Will his game translate well to the NFL? It’s a combination of his frame and how he plays I have questions about. Might work in college but doesn’t necessarily mean it will work if you play with the big boys. Even the smallest girls skinny jeans would look baggy on him...

I like Surtain and Farley but I’m not convinced they’re worth the 6th overall selection.

Even though I love Pitts, is a possible elite TE worth that high a pick?!

Just get it over with and let Chase fall right into our lap! 

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

I see Pitts as a consolation price if Chase and Smith are off the board, you don’t feel comfortable taking Waddle, Surtain or Farley at 6 and can’t find a dance partner to trade down.

At 6 there’s only one player I really want. If that kid is off the board, it would be a toss up between the above mentioned prospects.

I’m not down on Smith by any means but I do have questions. Will his game translate well to the NFL? It’s a combination of his frame and how he plays I have questions about. Might work in college but doesn’t necessarily mean it will work if you play with the big boys. Even the smallest girls skinny jeans would look baggy on him...

I like Surtain and Farley but I’m not convinced they’re worth the 6th overall selection.

Even though I love Pitts, is a possible elite TE worth that high a pick?!

Just get it over with and let Chase fall right into our lap! 

Well I probably should have worded that better, but my preference is to go Chase or Smith at 6 (if available).