Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #4

Captain F

48 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Just your wording alone is what I'm talking about. Labels. 

Tight ends, receivers, linemen...

You want the best player. You want a playmaker. You want a difference maker. People have to stop looking at players as positions. Brian Dawkins, Ed Reed, Jamal Adams ... those are not safeties. Those are players who end up redefining the position and/or filling so many different roles for a field and/or for a franchise that you're not picking a "safety". 

You mentioned several tight ends being picked where the Eagles are picking and it's never happened. The only guy I know of that was drafted 6th or higher was Vernon Davis. That's it. A 6'3, 255 pound guy that ran 4.38 at the Combine. A guy who ran faster than an tight end had ever even thought of running. He was just a weapon. Completely worth picking there. That he ended up on Mike Nolan and Jim Harbaugh teams absolutely WASTED ... not his fault. In the modern NFL ... holy hell what he would have been. And he wasn't the receiver that Pitts was in college. 

Back to the point, and I'm not aiming at you, but just making the point based on your post...

Not only this high, but at all times people need to start looking at the bigger picture with these guys. Kyle Pitts may not even play TE in the NFL. That's my point on him. So, where do you value a 6'6, 240 pound WR? I don't value Pitts at 6 by the way. I ask questions though. Same at QB. Is Justin Fields the 2nd best QB in this draft? Because when I watch the kid from BYU ... wow. Is the Toney kid from Florida's value higher with his skillset? But then he apparently doesn't want to listen, so whatever. 

I'm just talking about a mindset. I'm not slamming you. And if I appear like I am, I apologize. 

At the end, you say exactly what I do feel. The smart pick. To me right now, the smart pick is trading down and drafting from more of a position of value. 

I may be reading more into what you are writing than needed. Hopefully this conveys as communication and not condescension. 🙂 

No your good, I dont get offended easy. Also, I totally feel you, at least if I am understanding you right... I think a guy like Aaron Donald (coming out of college) is a perfect example of what you are hedging at. Is he a DE? Is he a DT? What scheme are we talking, is it an area of need? Who cares if the man can flat out play, we can always find a place for gamers. I am 100% on board with trading back a few slots if the opportunity presents itself, but then again if a guy like Sewell drops in our lap, do you pass on a guy who is clearly plug and play? 

I will slightly counter your point, because positions do exist. Every team does a self analysis of where do we have need, often times this is done using positional labels. Unfortunately these labels have been constructed by positional duties and the individuals who defined the position in the past (your Ed Reed example), these are fluid and ever-evolving processes. Good drafting teams do however consider these labels when they make a selection, you want to get the best player available in an area of need. Positional labels (like the 'types' of receiver) aide in clarification and almost serve as shorthand for the variety of player traits and skillsets for the 21 players on the field at a time. They facilitate the draft process. Now here is where I agree with you...

"area of need" can mean so many different things, and may actually combat the positional labels we often leverage. For example, an eagles "area of need" is an elite offensive player who often serves in a pass-catching role. This can mean a WR, TE, or HB; so Pitts does fit this criteria. My point is that pass catchers (labeled as WRs and TEs) have less control over the game than other positions. They are dependent on the QB, on time, on their ability, on the defensive scheme, etc. (and yes i realize elite receivers and scheming negate some of these barriers). But Lineman, QBs, and even DBs, (see im using labels as shorthand) have the potential to make a lager effect on any given play, this makes them inherently more viable with an early pick. 

I think we can agree, I hope we get a weapon, but I dont want it to come at the cost of a better player. I would feel better picking a pass catcher if we trade back or get another early rounder from wentz. I like chase, you seem to like pitts, both could be great weapons, but lets make sure we make the smart pick and refrain from getting emotionally attached to one guy or the other (at least until they are wearing midnight green). 

Also vernon davis' career could have been so much better, if he wasn't in such a bad spot for the most part... but if I had acknowledged that, it would not have served my argument as effectively 😉

• Like 1

The last 4 TEs drafted in the top 10 of draft:

TJ Hockenson

Eric Ebron

Vernon Davis

Kellen Winslow Jr

I wouldn’t say they are bust but I wouldn’t say they are top 10 picks again in a re-draft. I love Pitts but no way in hell at #6

My statement for Pitts would be that he is ONLY worth it if we use him in a Mike Evans role as a outside WR. Can you move him around into the slot or even TE at times in certain packages? Sure. But unless he is used as a main weapon on the outside then hes not a great fit for our pick. Think Micheal Pittman Jr. as well if you want a non elite WR on the up rise to compare

5 hours ago, Jenkins27 said:

Two TDs for Gronk so far in the Super Bowl... :whistle:

😴😴😴

Has there ever been a more boring combination in the history of time?

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

😴😴😴

Has there ever been a more boring combination in the history of time?

The Eagles should be so bored lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:50 AM, DeathByEagle said:

My statement for Pitts would be that he is ONLY worth it if we use him in a Mike Evans role as a outside WR. Can you move him around into the slot or even TE at times in certain packages? Sure. But unless he is used as a main weapon on the outside then hes not a great fit for our pick. Think Micheal Pittman Jr. as well if you want a non elite WR on the up rise to compare

He legitimately has Kelce/Kittle ability. That is certainly worth #6. 

Chase is still my first choice if he’s there, but if he’s off the board and Pitts is sitting there he’s my pick. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Chase is still my first choice if he’s there, but if he’s off the board and Pitts is sitting there he’s my pick. 

This is also where I'm at right now.

• Like 2

You guys really think Lowie is gonna pass on the opportunity to add a QB to the factory for a TE. Really guys?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

You guys really think Lowie is gonna pass on the opportunity to add a QB to the factory for a TE. Really guys?

I think three QBs go in the top 5. That means the best available will be Lance. Despite the "rumors” I can’t see them going back to another North Dakota QB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I'm just stating my preference, not what that discount rack brain trust is going to do. 

Call me crazy, but I think we should pick Pitts even if Chase is there. We have maybe the best WR coaching group we've had in a long time and still lots of young fast talent. Perhaps even JJAW can be salvaged somewhat as a WR4 or something. 

Pitts can play X, can do all sorts of things. He can learn blocking from Stout and Goedert. He is a QBs best friend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matchew88 said:

Call me crazy, but I think we should pick Pitts even if Chase is there. We have maybe the best WR coaching group we've had in a long time and still lots of young fast talent. Perhaps even JJAW can be salvaged somewhat as a WR4 or something. 

We have the best WR coaching group but a lack of talent at the position. Do I think these coaches can get more out of these WRs? Yes I do but not a great amount. 

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We have the best WR coaching group but a lack of talent at the position. Do I think these coaches can get more out of these WRs? Yes I do but not a great amount. 

I think you would be surprised. If our WRs are well-distributed talent but no ace card, that would still be really good. Plus, having top TEs would complement well. I think Fulgham and Raegor can absolutely be coached up to be 2nd tier WR1's, and both Hightower and Watkins were only rookies last year. The Chiefs don't have the classic prototypical WR1, they have Tyreek Hill who AR schemes his speed to be a WR1.

The only one I would not depend on is JJAW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matchew88 said:

I think you would be surprised. If our WRs are well-distributed talent but no ace card, that would still be really good. Plus, having top TEs would complement well. I think Fulgham and Raegor can absolutely be coached up to be 2nd tier WR1's, and both Hightower and Watkins were only rookies last year. The Chiefs don't have the classic prototypical WR1, they have Tyreek Hill who AR schemes his speed to be a WR1.

The only one I would not depend on is JJAW. 

But there's no experience there. There's no proven player. I get what you're saying and I don't completely disagree with you. But there's a huge risk going in to the year with these WRs.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But there's no experience there. There's no proven player. I get what you're saying and I don't completely disagree with you. But there's a huge risk going in to the year with these WRs.

I see risk differently. For me, a risk is banking on DJax not getting injured again ad signing him. Young talent with upside and great coaching, I see more as opportunity.

Risk vs. low cost opportunity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matchew88 said:

I see risk differently. For me, a risk is banking on DJax not getting injured again ad signing him. Young talent with upside and great coaching, I see more as opportunity.

Risk vs. low cost opportunity.

I think there's a middle ground. Desean was a bad gamble by this organization, especially in Year 2.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, nipples said:

Exactly my choices: Chase, then Pitts if Chase is gone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Exactly my choices: Chase, then Pitts if Chase is gone.

Pitts all the way. Plenty of WR's that can help us MUCH later. Very deep class,so I will snag the STUD OFFENSIVE WEAPON (he is more than a TE) Good WR's even in round 5

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:03 AM, D-Shiznit said:

QB Factory lost a cog.... must be replaced by another NDS sku.

32 minutes ago, judunno said:

QB Factory lost a cog.... must be replaced by another NDS sku.

QB factory-TOO funny. More llike a Yugo factory.. We can't keep the ones we get with adequate supporting players. 2017 was a FLUKE

On 2/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, nipples said:

It still bugs me we didnt grab Kelce. To be fair I thought he would last to our pick in the 3rd (maybe even 4th)... Reid knew what he saw and grabbed the guy before he was gone. This is what good drafting teams do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

It still bugs me we didnt grab Kelce. To be fair I thought he would last to our pick in the 3rd (maybe even 4th)... Reid knew what he saw and grabbed the guy before he was gone. This is what good drafting teams do. 

That’s why we can’t trade down and hope Pitts is there.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:25 PM, stinkfist said:

Just your wording alone is what I'm talking about. Labels. 

Tight ends, receivers, linemen...

You want the best player. You want a playmaker. You want a difference maker. People have to stop looking at players as positions. Brian Dawkins, Ed Reed, Jamal Adams ... those are not safeties. Those are players who end up redefining the position and/or filling so many different roles for a field and/or for a franchise that you're not picking a "safety". 

You mentioned several tight ends being picked where the Eagles are picking and it's never happened. The only guy I know of that was drafted 6th or higher was Vernon Davis. That's it. A 6'3, 255 pound guy that ran 4.38 at the Combine. A guy who ran faster than an tight end had ever even thought of running. He was just a weapon. Completely worth picking there. That he ended up on Mike Nolan and Jim Harbaugh teams absolutely WASTED ... not his fault. In the modern NFL ... holy hell what he would have been. And he wasn't the receiver that Pitts was in college. 

Back to the point, and I'm not aiming at you, but just making the point based on your post...

Not only this high, but at all times people need to start looking at the bigger picture with these guys. Kyle Pitts may not even play TE in the NFL. That's my point on him. So, where do you value a 6'6, 240 pound WR? I don't value Pitts at 6 by the way. I ask questions though. Same at QB. Is Justin Fields the 2nd best QB in this draft? Because when I watch the kid from BYU ... wow. Is the Toney kid from Florida's value higher with his skillset? But then he apparently doesn't want to listen, so whatever. 

I'm just talking about a mindset. I'm not slamming you. And if I appear like I am, I apologize. 

At the end, you say exactly what I do feel. The smart pick. To me right now, the smart pick is trading down and drafting from more of a position of value. 

I may be reading more into what you are writing than needed. Hopefully this conveys as communication and not condescension. 🙂 

Couldn’t agree more. You want playmakers. If you go the safe route every time in the draft you end up a with mediocre team. That’s what Howie’s been doing every year. Taking JJ over DK is the perfect example. JJ was the safe pick. The consensus was that he would be a solid WR with limited upside because he’s not a great athlete. DK had unlimited upside with TO-like abilities but he had some injury problems and his production wasn’t great in college so Howie took the safe route and drafted JJ. You have to take some chances in the draft.