Kyle Pitts (Florida TE/WR) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #4

Captain F

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Couldn’t agree more. You want playmakers. If you go the safe route every time in the draft you end up a with mediocre team. That’s what Howie’s been doing every year. Taking JJ over DK is the perfect example. JJ was the safe pick. The consensus was that he would be a solid WR with limited upside because he’s not a great athlete. DK had unlimited upside with TO-like abilities but he had some injury problems and his production wasn’t great in college so Howie took the safe route and drafted JJ. You have to take some chances in the draft.

Well, I've changed my mind. I have Pitts rated as the No. 1 player in the entire draft. So ... draft him if he's still there. 

• Like 1

It would be cool if Eagles could use Pitts like Plaxico Burress. From all highlights I have seen, this kid looks more WR than TE...

@Ray75, I hear we are a Cover-2 team now. How do these DB picks align with that idea?

image.thumb.png.d1df4f6d8925af99014600d4453a8412.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

@Ray75, I hear we are a Cover-2 team now. How do these DB picks align with that idea?

Sold on the first 2 picks alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

That is a dream draft.  And yet... possible. 

9 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Wow I love that. Samuel, Cisco and Ford? Plus add a weapon like Pitts to the offense. I'm all in. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wow I love that. Samuel, Cisco and Ford? Plus add a weapon like Pitts to the offense. I'm all in. 

Agree. That would hopefully nail down the S position

Kyle Pitts (6'6 and 240 lbs) as a WR is basically Calvin Johnson (6'5 and 237 lbs), but not quite as fast. Megatron ran a 4.35 at the Combine. Pitts is probably going to run around a 4.5, which is pretty fast for a TE and still good for a WR at his size.

The Eagles can draft him as a "TE" (save money on that second contract?) and line him up at XWR on the majority of snaps and then line him up at TE1 in certain formations based on the situation. Jalen Reagor is more likely to succeed at ZWR with defenses paying attention to Pitts on the outside and can use his speed to make big plays. 

Travis Fulgham showed flashes of promise and I would have him play at XWR when Pitts is placed at TE1. JJAW is a lost cause but Quez Watkins and John Hightower still have some untapped potential as potential starters. Greg Ward has solidified himself as the reliable slot WR, similar to how Jason Avant was back in the day, and is already a favorite target of Jalen Hurts. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, stinkfist said:

Well, I've changed my mind. I have Pitts rated as the No. 1 player in the entire draft. So ... draft him if he's still there. 

On 3/5/2021 at 5:08 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Kyle Pitts (6'6 and 240 lbs) as a WR is basically Calvin Johnson (6'5 and 237 lbs), but not quite as fast. Megatron ran a 4.35 at the Combine. Pitts is probably going to run around a 4.5, which is pretty fast for a TE and still good for a WR at his size.

The Eagles can draft him as a "TE" (save money on that second contract?) and line him up at XWR on the majority of snaps and then line him up at TE1 in certain formations based on the situation. Jalen Reagor is more likely to succeed at ZWR with defenses paying attention to Pitts on the outside and can use his speed to make big plays. 

Travis Fulgham showed flashes of promise and I would have him play at XWR when Pitts is placed at TE1. JJAW is a lost cause but Quez Watkins and John Hightower still have some untapped potential as potential starters. Greg Ward has solidified himself as the reliable slot WR, similar to how Jason Avant was back in the day, and is already a favorite target of Jalen Hurts. 

I've also changed my mind. I think Pitts would be a great pick. The D needs help, but I think right now the right choice at 6 is either Pitts or Chase.

12 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I've also changed my mind. I think Pitts would be a great pick. The D needs help, but I think right now the right choice at 6 is either Pitts or Chase.

Yeah, I mean I'm working to get the new site going and it looks like a 3rd grader made it, but I can't rush Top 50 rankings. If I did, I would probably have Pitts ranked #1 overall right now. In the class. I'm shaking my head saying that. 

I do need to deep dive QBs, but I never like them. I THINK I'm at Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields and then Lance, but that's NAKED EYE. So in other words, don't listen to that. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

I love Samuel but he’s listed at 5’10”. Pro day is in two weeks. If he really measures at 5’10” or a couple of inches taller, I’d draft him in a heartbeat but if he’s smaller than that, I don’t know, man. I don’ want another Maddox playing on the outside. Awesome player though...

Say...Stokes ran a sub 4.3 40 at 6.’1”.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:29 PM, What The F said:

That is a dream draft.  And yet... possible. 

Howie

On 3/2/2021 at 3:47 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

I think I'd fall over if our draft resembled that.  I'd have to wonder ... who tied up Howie in the basement of the NCC while the picks were made?  :lol:

• Haha 1

Kind of feel that this should be a pinned topic. Pitts to the Eagles is gathering steam. IMO he's one of the top 3 players we are most likely to draft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I love Samuel but he’s listed at 5’10”. Pro day is in two weeks. If he really measures at 5’10” or a couple of inches taller, I’d draft him in a heartbeat but if he’s smaller than that, I don’t know, man. I don’ want another Maddox playing on the outside. Awesome player though...

Say...Stokes ran a sub 4.3 40 at 6.’1”.

I figure that Stokes will be selected in the bottom quarter of the 1st - he's certainly seems to have the desired measurables and had a strong 2020.

From what I've read a Cover-2 corner needs a strong jam to force an inside release, enough athleticism to carry the receiver through the 'hole' and the ability to set the edge and reliably tackle.  I think ASjr has a good handle on these components.  Then of course there's all the mental stuff: techniques related to reading the QB, recognizing route combos, run/pass keys, etc. - which is much more of a projection (and where I hope genetics kicks in).  From what I understand he's mostly been trained in man coverage, but based on the low completion percentage and that he's gotten his hands on the ball he seems be one of those guys who should be able to contest.  I agree with you about the height/length concerns, if I was going to bet - I'd take the under.

2 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I figure that Stokes will be selected in the bottom quarter of the 1st - he's certainly seems to have the desired measurables and had a strong 2020.

From what I've read a Cover-2 corner needs a strong jam to force an inside release, enough athleticism to carry the receiver through the 'hole' and the ability to set the edge and reliably tackle.  I think ASjr has a good handle on these components.  Then of course there's all the mental stuff: techniques related to reading the QB, recognizing route combos, run/pass keys, etc. - which is much more of a projection (and where I hope genetics kicks in).  From what I understand he's mostly been trained in man coverage, but based on the low completion percentage and that he's gotten his hands on the ball he seems be one of those guys who should be able to contest.  I agree with you about the height/length concerns, if I was going to bet - I'd take the under.

Me too and that’s the problem.

For some reason Stokes stock has taken a hit the last couple of months. From a late first rounder in nov/dec to a bottom second rounder as of late. His fast forty should give his stock another boost. Late first - early second is where I had him going from the get go. I think we have a good shot he’ll be there when we’re on the clock.

But...it wouldn’t surprise me that, if the Eagles free up enough money the upcoming week, they’ll sign a veteran CB in FA. Someone like Xavier Rhodes (too old IMO), Michael Davis (LAC), William Jackson (CIN) etc. Anyway...can see them bringing in either a veteran CB, LB or Safety.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

But...it wouldn’t surprise me that, if the Eagles free up enough money the upcoming week, they’ll sign a veteran CB in FA. Someone like Xavier Rhodes (too old IMO), Michael Davis (LAC), William Jackson (CIN) etc. Anyway...can see them bringing in either a veteran CB, LB or Safety.

I wouldn't even be shocked if the Eagles make a "splash" after all and take a shot at Malik Hooker.

40 minutes ago, Infam said:

I wouldn't even be shocked if the Eagles make a "splash" after all and take a shot at Malik Hooker.

I wouldn’t even call that a splash. Hooker has been dealing with injuries his entire NFL career. He’s the definition of a guy you offer a one year prove it deal.

Now signing Anthony Walker would somewhat fit that splash signing more. You need guys who can help Gannon make that transition and Walker would fit that bill perfectly IMO. He’s gonna cost you though. 8 to 10 million annually I guess.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if they sign them both.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I wouldn’t even call that a splash. Hooker has been dealing with injuries his entire NFL career. He’s the definition of a guy you offer a one year prove it deal.

Now signing Anthony Walker would somewhat fit that splash signing more. You need guys who can help Gannon make that transition and Walker would fit that bill perfectly IMO. He’s gonna cost you though. 8 to 10 million annually I guess.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if they sign them both.

I think it could be, yes he was hurt but potential is sky high. And he played for Gannon, is 24...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I think it could be, yes he was hurt but potential is sky high. And he played for Gannon, is 24...

We all think Eagles won’t be players in FA because of their bad cap situation but the fact of the matter is that they can sign whoever they want.

The 17th of march is just a deadline. Once we’re under it, we can do whatever we want and won’t have to worrry about it for a full year.

Next year we’ll have more cap space (won’t have to pay Wentz, maybe they trade a veteran like Cox at the deadline to create even more space for 2022 etc) so signing guys like Walker and/or Hooker won’t be a problem.

So anyone they sign will only result in cap implications for 2022 once Howie manages to get under the cap this week.

I think we’ll be relatively active but I don’t think we’ll sign truly expensive guys who’ll break the bank. Mid tier FA’s, one year prove it deals, that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

We all think Eagles won’t be players in FA because of their bad cap situation but the fact of the matter is that they can sign whoever they want.

The 17th of march is just a deadline. Once we’re under it, we can do whatever we want and won’t have to worrry about it for a full year.

Next year we’ll have more cap space (won’t have to pay Wentz, maybe they trade a veteran like Cox at the deadline to create even more space for 2022 etc) so signing guys like Walker and/or Hooker won’t be a problem.

So anyone they sign will only result in cap implications for 2022 once Howie manages to get under the cap this week.

I think we’ll be relatively active but I don’t think we’ll sign truly expensive guys who’ll break the bank. Mid tier FA’s, one year prove it deals, that kind of stuff.

True, but in the case of Hooker and some others, it is different to these old FAs. At 24, guys like him are as old as the oldest rookies in the draft..

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

True, but in the case of Hooker and some others, it is different to these old FAs. At 24, guys like him are as old as the oldest rookies in the draft..

Indeed and if I’m not mistaken, Walker is also only 26.

5 hours ago, Infam said:

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I think we need to sign a minimum of three free agents. As you say we can get past 17 March and then look at bringing some mid-tier FAs in.

CB - Last year we had two legitimate outside CBs and one of those was our starting safety. Maddox is not an outside corner. We can't rely on a rookie coming in and starting straight away.

S - We have McLeod coming off a serious injury and then nothing else proven. You hope Wallace comes through, but we need to sign a safety.

WR - everybody wants Chase, but we may not get him and even if we do, Hurts could really do with an established vet. We are not going to get Godwin or Robinson, but we should be looking at the second tier like Curtis Samuel and see if we can get decent value. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Me too and that’s the problem.

For some reason Stokes stock has taken a hit the last couple of months. From a late first rounder in nov/dec to a bottom second rounder as of late. His fast forty should give his stock another boost. Late first - early second is where I had him going from the get go. I think we have a good shot he’ll be there when we’re on the clock.

Yup - it's malpractice to rely on rookies to become instant starters and more importantly I don't think it's the best way to train them up as they need the competition and example to follow as they integrate into the league.  I'm all for the 'Jimmy Kempski' ideas of signing a CB and S to 1-year prove it deals, and drafting behind them.  If the FAs works out, that's a good problem - if not, then they are a bridge. 

• Like 1