EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Most importantly, Jerry is too old to entertain the thought of starting over.

Dak is a good QB, no question, but does he move the needle as far as W-L?  Not sure about that.  His rookie season he took over a stacked offense when Romo got injured, the past two seasons he has balled out and the team was 8-8 in 2019, and started 1-3 last season before he got injured.  He was pedestrian for much of his other full season before the team acquired Amari Cooper to pair with him.

That’s a huge amount of money for a guy to lead a .500 franchise with very little playoff success.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Everyone? 

Everyone except you whose still Team Chase 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I actually think 4for4 isn’t team WR or TE at 6 

This data isn't incredibly clean, since some of the old articles discuss avg annual salary vs single season bloated cap hits involving roster/signing bonuses.  Whenever possible, I distilled it down to average annual salary.

2000: Salary cap 62m.  Biggest annual contract: Drew Bledsoe: 6m.  9.7%

2005: Salary cap 85.5m.  Biggest annual contract: Vick: 14.17m.  16.6%

2011 (2010 uncapped): Salary cap 120m.  Biggest annual contract: Peyton: 14m.  11.67%

2015: Salary cap 143m.  Biggest annual contract: Rodgers: 22m.  15.4%

2020: Salary cap: 198.2m.  Biggest annual contract (excluding Mahomes, we'll get to that): Cousins 33m.  16.6%

Assuming the salary cap goes back to normal after 2021, Dak will be ~20% of the salary cap.

Now, Mahomes' contract is a bit of an anomaly.  It is so long, for so many years, that the average salary is inflated.  It is much less than Dak's contract over the next 4 years.

I'm no capologist, so there is some play in those numbers.  But it may be time to rethink the QB position a bit.  20% of the cap in one player is a problem.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I thought he was in Camp Trade Up — for this guy:

image.thumb.jpeg.ba539d1d351aac261ae315f46fc5d5ed.jpeg

For @downundermike I think (can't remember if you're a Chazz Surratt guy).  This would be for me too because I was falling in like with Chazz Surratt somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.  It was well documented that his 40 time totally sucked (I think the official time came out at like 4.75).  I wasn't entirely devastated by that since I'd rather my LBs be instinctual and diagnose plays before they happen, (rather than Ernie Sims - blazing speed with the brain of a pigeon). 

However, my friend from TDN was there at that tiny combine this weekend in Florida and told me that Surratt went into his tent and sulked, cried, and whined like a baby for a long time after he ran.  Not good.  

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

But if I had my choice.  I would take Chase or Smith over Pitts.  

I’m for team don’t F up this pick. Lol I’m for getting someone that actually just lives up to the 6 pick or if you trade back. I love chase but i actually think he’s likely gone by 6. I think pitts and Smith will be on the board. If you asked me today i think the first 5 picks are

lawrence

wilson (Jets or someone trades up)

chase

fields/lance

sewell 

Without having any real knowledge of the situation, I suppose this Isaiah Wilson guy reinforces the concept of a locker room cancer.

When a player acts out like that, why even give him and a competing team the chance to get it right?  Drag his ass into camp, make him hold blocking dummies and stand on sleds.  Then cut him on short notice in September or inactivate him all year.

I guess they really didn't want him around their team.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I actually think 4for4 isn’t team WR or TE at 6 

I know, he wants to trade up for Waddle 

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

For @downundermike I think (can't remember if you're a Chazz Surratt guy).  This would be for me too because I was falling in like with Chazz Surratt somewhere in the 3rd or 4th.  It was well documented that his 40 time totally sucked (I think the official time came out at like 4.75).  I wasn't entirely devastated by that since I'd rather my LBs be instinctual and diagnose plays before they happen, (rather than Ernie Sims - blazing speed with the brain of a pigeon). 

However, my friend from TDN was there at that tiny combine this weekend in Florida and told me that Surratt went into his tent and sulked, cried, and whined like a baby for a long time after he ran.  Not good.  

Was he able to run a faster time after shedding all those tears?

Just now, Alphagrand said:

Golf Clap GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I edited.  I wouldn’t want a WR or TE at 6.  But, gun to my head, Smith.   

Ideally I would want to trade down.  If Sewell doesn’t fall to us.  

I’d trade back. I think you have a chance if one of the QBs is still on the board. Not sure how far back you’d go. I think Carolina trades up to try and get a QB. I think San Fran might be willing too. New England i think at 15 you might be moving to far back. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Clapping Rock - GIF on Imgur

Dak has probably been the most scrutinized QB over the last 3 years. It’s about to quadruple. Every single incompletion will be discussed.  

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Dak has probably been the most scrutinized QB over the last 3 years. It’s about to quadruple. Every single incompletion will be discussed.  

Yes Yes! - Album on Imgur

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d trade back. I think you have a chance if one of the QBs is still on the board. Not sure how far back you’d go. I think Carolina trades up to try and get a QB. I think San Fran might be willing too. New England i think at 15 you might be moving to far back. 

It sure would be nice if Lurie shut his mouth and didn't leak his garbage to Mort, because if even 1 team believes that we are committed to Hurts, then chances of trading back just became a little more difficult.    

14 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Sounds like a QB trying to play LB

Not sure how they are coming up with that number with all the other numbers reported, but whatever. 

I remember people arguing with me, saying Dak was stupid to not take the deal last year. I said at the time he was playing it perfectly.

He was always going to get this contract unless he suffered a career-ending injury (and in that event he had the insurance to pay him a massive amount). 

Dak and his agent took Jerry to school., and it was obvious from the beginning. 

23 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wrong Arlington, I was in Arlington, VA, home of the former Robert E Lee plantation and now National Cemetery. I recommend watching the changing of the guard, it's an inspiring moment.

I'm hoping to move back to Texas in the near future, if things work out. Austin is out of the question, the city I loved died a couple decades ago, overrun by California IT people and Republic lobbyists and lawyers. I'm looking at San Marcos, still a college town (Texas State), "a river runs through it" and real estate hasn't skyrocketed yet.

If I make that move, someday I have to get into my car and do the grand tour, I wrote a book on Texas Oil, but never got a chance to visit the places I wrote about - so I'd like to go see Tyler, Texas (East Texas oil field), Spindletop of course, and the Permian basin, as well as a few other ones like the Ranger field. I've driven too many highways, time to slow down and travel some byways.

Have you been to San Marcos recently?  My sister retired to Canyon Lake in Coval County. So when I travel, I go through there fairly often (although it has been almost 3/4 of a year because of the pandemic).  I35 from north of Austin all the way down through San Antonio seems as populated as north Jersey.  Getting expensive to buy property there. I remember when Gruene was pretty much just the Dance Hall.  Now it is surrounded by subdivisions. The quaint river camps and vacation homes are surrounded by hotels on the Guadalupe.  Fortunately a lot of the buildup is close to the I35 corridor. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Not sure how they are coming up with that number with all the other numbers reported, but whatever. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I remember people arguing with me, saying Dak was stupid to not take the deal last year. I said at the time he was playing it perfectly.

He was always going to get this contract unless he suffered a career-ending injury (and in that event he had the insurance to pay him a massive amount). 

Dak and his agent took Jerry to school. 

I didn't think he'd get the money

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Voidable years!! You said the secret word!

image.gif.fc9ae8782bf658d4d3f59ccaa5a1fbd6.gif

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I didn't think he'd get the money

I can’t remember if I said he’d get $40M per year, but he was always going to get a massive, massive contract. What’s surprising is the no franchise tag and no-trade clause. 

Russell Wilson finding out he's not gonna be a Cowgirl:

Temper Tantrums: How to React & Build Emotional Intelligence | Fatherly

Archived