EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Peppersmacks said:

That part is paid for because these new higher earning individuals are also paying more into the system.  If they are making double, they are paying more in income tax and if you're hypothesis is correct that inflation would up all of their extra money they are also paying double sales tax.  But again, the issue isn't whether people will need subsidizing.  Someone will always be down on their luck and part of being in a society is lifting people up in their time of need.  That will never change.  But a corporation can still turn a healthy profit paying their employees a liveable wage.  The only thing you are subsidizing right now is corporate profits.  McDonald's could pay all of their employees $15 an hour and would still be profitable.  They may raise prices a bit but even they know that they are close to their ceiling for how much anyone would pay for that crap.

More pay , more consumer spending , it would all equal out .

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh.  Great guy.  But I’d rather eat all the money this year and let him go when we can.  No need to push some of his money down the road.  Who cares what role he fills next season.  We’re gonna stink anyway.  

Unfortunately, we're going to have to restructure at least a couple people that we'd over prefer to just let go just to be cap compliant.  Graham seems as reasonable a choice as anyone to do it with (because we have to do it) since he's been relatively healthy and plays a position that rotates players so at least he'll still have use even when he starts breaking down.

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

More pay , more consumer spending , it would all equal out .

Correct.  Trickle down economics is a complete fallacy.  This is rightly the opposite theory.  

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  I vote for this conversation to go to CVON.  This can and will easily venture into a divisive political debate and this isn’t the place.  VABeach Eagle and the creator of this thread has said so numerous times.  Along with dozens of other posters.  Move it along and let’s talk about Mac Jones and arm talent.  

Agreed!

Minimum wage is meant for minimum skills and entry into the workforce jobs.  Fast food. Grocery store cart kids. Etc... Any physically and mentally able adult should be able to start on that first rung and work their way up into better paying jobs as their skills and education increase.   Any adult that chooses to not climb the ladder, deserves to continue to be paid a beginning wage.  

Advance skills - pay increase

Advance education - pay increase

Learn trade - pay increase 

Be lazy with no motivation to grow your earnings - minimum wage

Just now, Peppersmacks said:

Correct.  Trickle down economics is a complete fallacy.  This is rightly the opposite theory.  

More pay , more tax revenue 

9 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

It's easy to have that view from an individual stand point. But there HAVE to be people who work minimum age jobs under our current system. Not everyone can work a better paying job. We need to have a system in place that supports everyone. People have to work these jobs, and they should be fairly compensated for it. It needs to be a livable wage. Taking money from these billion dollar companies would improve the economy for everyone, too. It goes right back into the system. You can't have the top 1% have all the wealth. 

yeah they are called kids and unskilled labor. the least valuable, most fungible and easiest to replace with other people or technology. the low pay functions as an incentive to do more/better. its not intended to support a family. so no, a "living wage" is nonsense. 

taking money is theft, plain and simple, especially when done via the coercive power of govt. and it doesnt improve the economy because of prices/inflation. they are fairly compensated for their low value labor. not everyone is valuable to the system. many are a net drain

I love when people who aren't economists try to discuss economic theory and practice.

I'll just guide y'all to the current volume of the Journal of Economic Perspectives, which is a journal of fairly accessible review articles by top guys in the field, there's a symposiuim on

the minimum wage.

https://www.aeaweb.org/issues/623?to=13998

1 minute ago, What The F said:

Minimum wage is meant for minimum skills and entry into the workforce jobs.  Fast food. Grocery store cart kids. Etc... Any physically and mentally able adult should be able to start on that first rung and work their way up into better paying jobs as their skills and education increase.   Any adult that chooses to not climb the ladder, deserves to continue to be paid a beginning wage.  

I know Mexicans who work for very little , who would wear your ass out in a days work 

minimum wage doesn’t mean lazy

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  I vote for this conversation to go to CVON.  This can and will easily venture into a divisive political debate and this isn’t the place.  VABeach Eagle and the creator of this thread has said so numerous times.  Along with dozens of other posters.  Move it along and let’s talk about Mac Jones and arm talent.  

The Minimum Wage is raised to $15 an hour with a rider that Howie is fired.

6 minutes ago, What The F said:

Let's assume everything you say is true - why shouldn't the minimum wage still be a liveable wage?

Speaking of wages 

Most career earnings in #NFL history Drew Brees - $269.7M

Tom Brady - $263.5M Ben Roethlisberger - $253.3M

8 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

I know Mexicans who work for very little , who would wear your ass out in a days work 

minimum wage doesn’t mean lazy

Ok. Pay your Mexican laborer $15, and I'll tell my entry level EMT son that's making $17 an hour to quit his job.  Get your untrained, uneducated, but good at manual labor friend to save your life when you crash your car......

6 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

Let's assume everything you say is true - why shouldn't the minimum wage still be a liveable wage?

Liveable wage for who?  Making the minimum wage $15 only serves to devalue those who worked and learned to make that, or slightly more unless you're also increasing their wage accordingly.  

1 minute ago, What The F said:

Ok. Pay your Mexican laborer $15, and I'll tell my entry level EMT son that's making $17 an hour to quit his job.  Get your untrained, uneducated, but good at manual labor friend to save your life when you crash your car......

2 wrongs don’t make a right

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I bet if the OP locked the thread for a few hours you dingleberries would get the point.   

Lol says the guy who was engaging a page ago 

20 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I love when people who aren't economists try to discuss economic theory and practice.

I'll just guide y'all to the current volume of the Journal of Economic Perspectives, which is a journal of fairly accessible review articles by top guys in the field, there's a symposiuim on

the minimum wage.

https://www.aeaweb.org/issues/623?to=13998

I love when lawyers lecture people on healthcare, medicine, education, science, and employment opportunities, but that’s never stopped you.

1 hour ago, John_C said:

This is one of those rare times, I totally disagree with you.  Keep raising the minimum wage and you will eliminate jobs.  Companies haven't automated things yet that aren't high enough priority to justify.  Raise labor cost high enough, and the equation changes.  The payback on automation investments get a lot more attractive.  Small businesses won't pay it.  They will make cuts and squeeze more out of everyone else.  They will also look at automation options.  Big companies, for many types of jobs... they will invest in technology.  This doesn't apply to EVERY job, like your truck driver example (though as you noted, this is not a "minimum wage" job).

Minimum wage was never supposed to be a "living wage."  Your kids get jobs for "minimum wage" when they are old enough to work.  People take 2nd or part time jobs for "minimum wage."  Someone with competence and a skill set might start at "minimum wage" and moves up the ladder as they take on new responsibilities or move into a new role.  As they gain experience, they may move to a different organization for a higher paid position. 

I don’t know that minimum wage is quite the job killer you suggest but I do agree that it is not meant to be a living wage.  I do think it should be raised but doubling it is crazy.  First off, a nationwide minimum wage or even a statewide minimum wage is just dumb if it is meant to be a living wage.  The cost of living is not uniform across the nation.  There is a value for labor measurement that has to be considered.  Just like we don’t pay the same to an entry level employee as we do to an experience employee.  A $15 minimum wage doesn’t allow for the progression. I also does limit part time jobs for teenagers and possibly seniors.  As a base it makes sense.  I also think if the do away with server wage that tips go down as does the tax cheating that accompanies that and hurt those people so much when applying for unemployment right now.

Minimum wage below a certain point is unethical.  Minimum wage above a certain point is a job and economy killer.  No one has the answers to exactly what that point is.  Anyone who pretends to know is misleading you to fit their agenda.  

No one wants an unethical living wage and no one wants to destroy the economy.  

Just leave it at that and move on to Eagles football.

10 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

2 wrongs don’t make a right

But 2 Wright's make an airplane. 

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I love when lawyers lecture people on healthcare, medicine, education, science, and employment opportunities, but that’s never stopped you.

I'm also a Ph.D. economist with 3 academic books, peer reviewed papers, management consulting reports, valuation studies and working papers to my credit.

But I know my limitations, when it comes to something like the minimum wage, I refer to the literature, because it's not my area of expertise.

When you deal with a topic, it's important to avoid "cherry picking" papers you agree with, if you're conservative, you can find a position paper from the Heritage Foundation, if you're liberal, Center for American Progress, and so on. I ignore ideological "think tanks". In the profession, there are ongoing "conversations" on various issues that extend over decades, it's too much for an outsider to follow, which is why I referenced one of the flagship journals where you can read review articles that give you a sense of that conversation.

Economics is not "science" in the sense of physics, it's more amorphous, because there are so many factors, many of which are unmeasured, some may be unknown, but failure to account for them means econometric studies are rarely definitive, and economic theory is violated more than followed (theory is based on numerous unrealistic assumptions).

A good economist should be humble, the history of economic predictions should chasten any practitioner of the dark arts.

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Looking more and more like Kyle Pitts at #6

Archived