EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Almost any small business’s biggest expense is payroll. There will be less jobs. Jobs like cashiers won’t exist and there will be less employees just working more hours. 

Either way, I don’t think raising the minimum wage is nearly as big of a deal is the banks controlling the cost of living which is insane. In Baltimore city a townhouse that cost $80K 20 years ago now cost about $400K. My buddy’s house in Florida went from $150K to $250K in 5 years. Salaries are not increasing at that rate but cost of living is through the rough. 

A few years ago I managed a business in a an area I couldn’t afford a 1 bedroom apartment in. I managed 6 people, worked over 40 hours per week, did payroll, in charge of hiring and firing, had to be on call, etc... 

Lots of jobs will be lost , simply because the pandemic showed companies how much money they can save . I have been in box stores that everything is self checkout , and it worked fine  , no need to pay tellers  .

Commercial real estate about to get hurt , large companies won’t need their office space , pandemic showed them working remote works fine and saves them big rent money,

but we’re worried about 15 per hour ? Cosco just raised their hourly rate to 16  , said employees are happier more productive , and less turnover .

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mom and pop restaurants are the lifeblood of many small towns all across the country.

Not sure they are on their way out anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Iggles25 said:

Mom and pop restaurants are the lifeblood of many small towns all across the country.

Not sure they are on their way out anytime soon.

You underestimate the will of leftist authoritarians

7 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

the mom and pop shops I am referring to were well established restaurants that were fixtures in San Jose for decades. 15 dollar an hour decimated the lower paying wage jobs ...same is true in Seattle when they implemented...this has nothing to do with chains and box stores...it has to do with restaurants cutting lower skilled positions in order to survive because of an artificial obstruction in market systems

Just not in Cali , happening everywhere , was a place near temple ,  in philly , draught horse saloon , loved that place , it’s closing its doors after 20 years .

times are changing , people need to go back to school , learn a new way to make a living .

Ok the politics are getting a bit out of control now... 

So when is Foles coming back? Seriously sick of this clown Hurts already.

Super Bowl MVP >>> 52% completion percentage 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Lol youre delusional. It took him to be on those guys’ level Crosby missing 121 games, Kane missing half a season of games just to be just slightly ahead of them. Convenient you don’t mention that when you say he finished ahead of them. Meanwhile points per game he was still behind Crosby during that time  

let me re-iterate what my original point was in Crosby, ovechkin and Kane’s primes he was not close to their levels in his prime  

Crosby 5 best year window: 509 points 

Kane best 5 year window: 465 points 

ovechkin best 5 year window: 529 points 

Giroux best five year window: 386 points 

Yeah Giroux really close to those guys in their prime years vs. his prime years.... mathematically that’s 79 points, 123 points and 143 points he was behind them  

we can go a step further. Let’s just use the 5 best years of each of their careers

kane: 477 points  (missed double digits games) and 1.21 points per game

crosby: 538 points (missed double digit games) and 1.35 points per game

ovechkin: 529 (missed double digit games) and 1.34 points per game

giroux: 442 points (missed 5 games) and 1.09 points per game 

so the only one he’s close to is Kane and it’s a 35 point difference. if Kane played those games it’s likely a larger gap. The other two he’s 96 points and 87 and they played less games then Giroux. That’s why those guys ovechkin and Crosby were superstars in their primes and he’s a star  

there’s more. let’s go to Giroux’s first full season in the league 13 years ago. Guess who are the top 3 point getters are? You guessed it ovechkin, Crosby and Kane. Crosby played 100 less games then Giroux and nearly everyone and has the most. Crosby (791 games) 987 points, ovechkin (924 games) 985 points and Kane (914 games) 984 points. Meanwhile Giroux sits 8th at 829 points (904 games). So yes those guys I’d consider better. Even if you did the 2010s guess who the top 3 guys are? Kane, Crosby and ovechkin. Giroux is 4th by played way more games then Crosby and half a season more than Kane  

again you are the flyers fan that thinks prime Giroux was on their level when they were at their peaks. And he only was when those guys had down type of years due to injuries besides ovechkin who was still scoring 50 goals. Wow impressive when those guys were at their peaks for a 5 year stretch against Giroux best five year stretches they way eclipsed Giroux’s best numbers (386) by 79, 100+ Points and 100+ points

Where did i say above average? I said he was a star/very good just not a superstar like those guys. I know cause it’s right there in the first paragraph you quoted me. Conveniently you decide to make the narrative i said he was above average. Legitimate i wrote very good and I’d say a star in the first quoted you used 

In your mind he’s apparently a superstar but we use the excuse it’s everyone else’s fault for him not performing in the postseason since 2012. Interesting so he’s a superstar thats underperforms cause of everyone else. There’s the possibility that better talented players early and not having the pressure of being THE GUY helped him more than you think in those runs. Not being the top line or the guy yet definitely helped cause when he became THE GUY and the captain he has yet to come close to those numbers. And it’s not a small dip in numbers. These are dramatically big dropoff. before becoming captain in January 2013 played 50 playoff games had 56 points. Since becoming captain 18 points in 35 games. But i forgot it’s everyyyyyyyone else But Giroux for that. Naw some of this is directly on Giroux 

I just gave you a ton of stats proving hes overall not on their level in his and their primes.  yet you still ignore it all cause a 5 year stretch due to circumstances of injuries for two of those guys. Maybe it’s you, not everyone else who says he was very good/star just not Crosby, ovechkin and even Kane in their primes. I’m betting you probably think Giroux is which is laughable. I’m sorry Giroux is a star/very good player but in his prime he wasn’t what Crosby, ovechkin and Kane were in their primes (5 year windows you like to talk about they blow his numbers out of the water). 

Giroux isn't as good as Crosby (great scorer who turned himself into a Selke candidate), Ovechkin, great goal scorer who can run hot or cold.

However he's been a better player than Kane, who can score but is a liability on defense, Giroux has been a solid defender, top PK guy as well as a scorer.

I heard this the other day and agree 100%.

$7.25 minimum wage is for entry level jobs.  I make $18 an hour as my years of learned skills and ability make my employer value me 2.5x higher than an entry level employee.  If the minimum wage is doubled,  then my salary should also be doubled.  If not,  than I am being devalued.  There isn't much difference between $15 and $18 an hour.  You will run into a major shortage in skilled workers by making $15 the entry level pay.  There will not be any motivation for people to learn skilled trades.  Id rather make $15 working at McDonald's then spend years learning a skilled trade for $18 an hour.  

44 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Giroux isn't as good as Crosby (great scorer who turned himself into a Selke candidate), Ovechkin, great goal scorer who can run hot or cold.

However he's been a better player than Kane, who can score but is a liability on defense, Giroux has been a solid defender, top PK guy as well as a scorer.

Just point out over the 2010-2020 Patrick Kane led the NHL in points in that period of time. Giroux was fourth and played more games. Giroux might be better defensively but Kane makes that up by having the most points in the entire nhl that decade. Last 7 years top points in the nhl. Last 5 season kane was 4th in points and Giroux 18th. Last 3 seasons kane is 3rd and Giroux is 33rd. 

he’s also won the conne smythe, hart, Ted lindsay and art Ross trophy. All things Giroux hasn’t. 9x all star to Giroux’s 6x all star. 

52 minutes ago, John_C said:

In your gran's generation... at least over here... your Grandpa could work a 9-5, working for someone else, and provide a nice life.  Nice home (which they owned), 2 cars, vacation or two per year.  Money to raise the kids.  Your grandma could stay home, take care of the house, raise children.  Certainly never work.  This was "average" or expected lifestyle.

Things sure have changed.  So many families need two incomes, multiple jobs, etc. just to make ends meet.  Many, many reasons for this obviously but we don't have to get into it.  Just noting the difference.

Not necessarily. We have a young couple two doors down. 3 kids aged about 2 to10 or 12. He works she stays home with the kids. I'm pretty sure he isn't making any great income, I think he works construction. They have nice vehicles but nary a BMW to be seen. They live in a townhouse, probably about 1500 sq. ft. They're not "keeping up with the Jones" people but their kids don't seem deprived. So yeah, it is possible and I'd bet on their kids amounting to more than kids raised in more affluent circumstances whose raising is either contracted out or more or less left to their own devices.

6 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Ok the politics are getting a bit out of control now... 

So when is Foles coming back? Seriously sick of this clown Hurts already.

Super Bowl MVP >>> 52% completion percentage 

Foles fluffer! 

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I'm not belittling what slavery was, but in 2021, white privilege is a myth.   Economic/social class privilege is a different story however.  Just like you can't help what skin color you're born with you also can't help who is bringing you into this world.  Where I grew up there were lots of trailer parks (white trash as we're allowed to say without a 2nd thought).  Those kids had the same uphill battle as any minority growing up in a poorer area.  When I got to prep school and college that's where I met plenty of AA who came from higher social classes and were doing great for themselves.  Most of them now are also doing great professionally.  

You're going to stand your ground and I'm going to stand mine.  While there are struggles, work ethic, drive and persistence are some of the best qualities to have to help you get where you want to be.

Problem is the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, red lining, etc. have a lot to do with your current social class. The more money your parents have, the more likely you are to have money (not just inheritance, but grow up in better neighborhoods, better schools, better social network). There are lots of studies that show if poor families can move to middle class neighborhoods, their children will perform better in school and life. Problem is most middle class neighborhoods fiercely oppose any sort of public housing, which is why you have Ghettos. Look where highways were located in cities, usually where they walled off the poor, especially the colored poor, from the rest of the city and created pockets of poverty and despair. Mass transit was also routed away from those areas, so residents often had to take two buses to get to work, and forget trying to buy car insurance.

Actually, we're seeing the same dysfunction in white exurbia and rural areas that is commonly associated with colored ghettos, single mothers b/c what's the point of marrying a man who can't find or hold a job, drug abuse, suicide, etc. The reason, the decline in jobs for HS graduates and jobs in general in those areas.

Report: Amazon in talks with the NFL to carry Thursday Night Football games *exclusively* on Prime Video

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

You're going to stand your ground and I'm going to stand mine.  While there are struggles, work ethic, drive and persistence are some of the best qualities to have to help you get where you want to be.

I don’t know if standing ground is accurate.  You and I are of different generations and I did grow up in the South. There is no way public schools were equal and I don’t the are today.

I do think we have made inroads on diversity.  But we are not to a point that work this, drive and persistence, regardless of your appearance gets you the job,  You actually state that with the job opportunity for which you were passed over. So you feel discriminated against because you weren’t able to offer diversity 

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

Here are his rankings for 2019:

1. Kyler Murray

2. Drew Lock

3. Dwayne Haskins

4. Ryan Finley

5. Jarrett Stidham

6. Daniel Jones

7. Clayton Thorson

8. Will Grier  

Where's Minshew? 

+1 my take

2019 is a cautionary tale about QB prospects. 

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

2019 is a cautionary tale about QB prospects. 

I want to say in 2016 people were claiming that 2017 was a weak class so we should go get wentz and watson you might not be able to acquire if you wait. Meanwhile goff and wentz are no longer with their original teams and Dak is the best QB of the bunch. Meanwhile mahomes and watson were in next year with Trubisky. 

not saying they were wrong just how much of a inexact science it is. 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I want to say in 2016 people were claiming that 2017 was a weak class so we should go get wentz and watson you might not be able to acquire if you wait. Meanwhile goff and wentz are no longer with their original teams and Dak is the best QB of the bunch. Meanwhile mahomes and watson were then next year with Trubisky. 

Just for fun I looked at one of those too early mock drafts they do right after the current draft ends. Matt Miller had

1. Watson

4. Brad Kayaa (went 6th round)

21. Mason Rudolph to the Chiefs, which would have just been hilarious in hindsight

25. Luke Falk

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I want to say in 2016 people were claiming that 2017 was a weak class so we should go get wentz and watson you might not be able to acquire if you wait. Meanwhile goff and wentz are no longer with their original teams and Dak is the best QB of the bunch. Meanwhile mahomes and watson were in next year with Trubisky. 

I said dak would end up top QB of that class, prior to draft

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Just for fun I looked at one of those too early mock drafts they do right after the current draft ends. Matt Miller had

1. Watson

4. Brad Kayaa (went 6th round)

21. Mason Rudolph to the Chiefs, which would have just been hilarious in hindsight

25. Luke Falk

Mahomes not even in the first is pretty amazing as he became the best QB in the league. 

Just now, Original Sin said:

I said dak would end up top QB of that class, prior to draft

Good call. I didn’t mind Dak in the 3-4th cause i thought bradford wasn’t the answer even thought people glorified his 7 game stretch. I wanted the eagles to build up the team and wait for watson the following year and roll with bradford til then. Worked out as wentz played like a mvp the second year and they won a super bowl. However watson turning out to be a top 10 and potentially 5 for the next decade. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Mahomes not even in the first is pretty amazing as he became the best QB in the league. 

Yea, his Sophomore year was good too. I know he was thought of as a raw prospect but it's funny to see those other guys like Kaaya so high.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, his Sophomore year was good too. I know he was thought of as a raw prospect but it's funny to see those other guys like Kaaya so high.

I feel like he got pegged down due to Texas tech’s offense and probably used the big 12 defenses against him. 

7 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

wilson has been my fav QB from the start , Mond is my sleeper

Mond is interesting to me. My concern is off-platform throws. I feel like he'll struggle with accuracy if he isn't able to plant and deliver with the exact mechanics every single time.

Guys here’s some interesting vid of Patrick SurtainII VS Kyle Pitts and Grimes of Florida. 

It’s only like 5-6 plays but Pitts beats him on the slant and the go route (bad pass by Trask). 

Also the TD given up by Surtain is a head scratcher. He’s in position but does nothing. I don’t see Surtain worth a 6th pick 

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Mond is interesting to me. My concern is off-platform throws. I feel like he'll struggle with accuracy if he isn't able to plant and deliver with the exact mechanics every single time.

He has shown the ability to improve over last cpl years , and less reliant on his legs .

he gives you lots to work with , won’t be shocked if he is a top 45 pick .

Archived