EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

52 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Well, I thought the ITB "Q & A" podcast was an excellent listen (as one or two posted).  I did watch it and wonder if the traditional Philly media are missing out on perspectives from a younger demographic in their coverage of the Eagles.  It felt relevant and was fresh to listen to.

Agreed, Mikell and Avant had some good insights, Avant was the last guy I expected to talk about it being hard to play hard when the QB isn't looking your way

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, greend said:

Get rid of their owner. Starting to think we should too

Yeah. I'm sure there are plenty of Norman Bramans out there making so much bank off the pandemic they need a new home for all their new-found capital. It's amazing to me, what one losing season can do in this town.

13 hours ago, Original Sin said:

Sissy , if you aren’t whining or saying false you aren’t posting .

False

9 minutes ago, RLC said:

I think Philadelphia fans follow their team more closely and consequently react faster and with more articulated opinions, and emotion. Ultimately all cities will have expectations; and Carson will still have to deal with them.

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Please, some team sign JP to an $8 million a year deal and keep him all season playing on the OL.  Comp pickzzz

4 minutes ago, macgregor said:

I think Philadelphia fans follow their team more closely and consequently react faster and with more emotion. Ultimately all cities will have expectations; and Carson will still have to deal with them.

I think Philadelphia fans are mostly idiots that think they are wayyyy smarter about sports than what they really are. Well known for running good players out of town with their ridiculous expectations.

1 minute ago, greend said:

I think Philadelphia fans are mostly idiots that think they are wayyyy smarter about sports than what they really are. Well known for running good players out of town with their ridiculous expectations.

In the Lurie years? Before for sure.

Will be interesting to see how many people now jump on the Kellen Mond train now that Chris Simms rated him above Lance and Fields. Let the games begin. lol

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

Well, I thought the ITB "Q & A" podcast was an excellent listen (as one or two posted).  I did watch it and wonder if the traditional Philly media are missing out on perspectives from a younger demographic in their coverage of the Eagles.  It felt relevant and was fresh to listen to.

The Trotter story about him getting cut and taking out Thomas Tapeh in a no contact drill was hilarious..., well not for Tapeh I guess. 

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Will be interesting to see how many people now jump on the Kellen Mond train now that Chris Simms rated him above Lance and Fields. Let the games begin. lol

Probably tacky to do but I'm quoting myself here.  

OK, I really think Carson can regain his 2017 form and don't wish to trade him.  However, if they can get a 1st and change for him that is very hard to turn down.

If that's the case I hope they don't go QB with either of their round 1 picks.  They should get an impact player on both sides of the ball.  You can get a top WR with pick 6 and maybe a linebacker with the 2nd 1st.

A guy I like in the 3rd-4th is Kellen Mond from Texas A&M. He just competed and made plays for the Aggies during his career.  If they are trading Carson then they are eating a ton of money.  To have a starter in Mond or Hurts for 3-4 years on a rookie salary will go a long way in easing that dead cap pain.

I'll get some flack for this but I also really like Ian Book in the later rounds as a backup.  To me, he's the perfect backup quarterback.  He would come in and make some bad plays but also make plays to spark the team.  

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I still like Newman, but Mond has that innate ability to throw dirt balls like Donovan did, maybe he’ll have Donovan’s careeer.  Seriously, if a farmer hired the kid just to throw footballs he could rest his plow for the year. 

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Probably tacky to do but I'm quoting myself here.  

OK, I really think Carson can regain his 2017 form and don't wish to trade him.  However, if they can get a 1st and change for him that is very hard to turn down.

If that's the case I hope they don't go QB with either of their round 1 picks.  They should get an impact player on both sides of the ball.  You can get a top WR with pick 6 and maybe a linebacker with the 2nd 1st.

A guy I like in the 3rd-4th is Kellen Mond from Texas A&M. He just competed and made plays for the Aggies during his career.  If they are trading Carson then they are eating a ton of money.  To have a starter in Mond or Hurts for 3-4 years on a rookie salary will go a long way in easing that dead cap pain.

I'll get some flack for this but I also really like Ian Book in the later rounds as a backup.  To me, he's the perfect backup quarterback.  He would come in and make some bad plays but also make plays to spark the team.  

3rd or 4th round would be fine, but I can see him moving up boards ONLY because of Chris Simms shinning a light on him. 

I only watched 1 game of his vs Clemson and I was not impressed. A lot of bad throws. His play action fake is horrendous. Now again this was one game but vs a good team that has a feel of a NFL team. I do value Chris Simms views, just not very impressed on the one game that would be the closest to NFL style team he played in college. Alabama will be a good one to watch, maybe Florida as well. those 3 games would have the biggest impact on my view. Not if he wins, but just overall play by him. 

So as a mid round pick, sure. I wouldnt take him in the first 2 rounds which I think could happen when we see a top expert put him on a list and those players start to jump up on boards. 

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

Yep. So much good information. Avant had some especially interesting insight, of which I remember the following:

-- Said that Carson is a net average player with great physical ability who doesn't see the field well in disguised coverages. Said receivers were highly frustrated by Wentz missing reads last year and had to be diligent to stay professional and go all out every play.

-- Implied that Jalen Reagor was a project. The specific line was something like, "I would have taken Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray with that 1st round pick; you can't use that pick on a project." Considering Avant worked with Reagor, I'd love to hear more about where Reagor started and where he ended up.

-- Believed the team desperately needs a power complement to Sanders. Said something like, "At the end of games and in the playoffs, you usually have to run through people, not around them." Believed that "run through people" mentality applied to WR as well.

20 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

He’s my favorite at #6

Crazy to be so far over the cap

The #Saints have restructured three contracts so far (Brees, Onyemata, Lutz), cleared just over $30M with those restructures, but are still $60M over the cap. A lot more to do. Cuts and restructures to the bigger contracts incoming. Money cleared will be cap hits in the future.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There is going to be a major talent shift in the NFL.  In our case, that is straight down.

Yes, two or three "dream teams" will fail.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There is going to be a major talent shift in the NFL.  In our case, that is straight down.

I think it’s going to be a very weird year. Are the major players going to sign long term with the cap situation, or take 1-2 year deals to hit FA when things are back to normal? I expect at least one team to sign a ton of guys to short deals and try to build a dream team and buy a championship. 

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think it’s going to be a very weird year. Are the major players going to sign long term with the cap situation, or take 1-2 year deals to hit FA when things are back to normal? I expect at least one team to sign a ton of guys to short deals and try to build a dream team and buy a championship. 

I think the top free agents will get their money this year , plenty of teams have the cap space to sign the top players to contracts .

10 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Crazy to be so far over the cap

The #Saints have restructured three contracts so far (Brees, Onyemata, Lutz), cleared just over $30M with those restructures, but are still $60M over the cap. A lot more to do. Cuts and restructures to the bigger contracts incoming. Money cleared will be cap hits in the future.

Is there a date the TV deal needs to be signed so it can raise the cap?  I’m guessing raise because of the money they are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Is there a date the TV deal needs to be signed so it can raise the cap?  I’m guessing raise because of the money they are talking about. 

The NFL is looking to finalize frameworks of new TV rights agreements in the next few weeks and wants to do so before setting the 2021 salary cap figure in March, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

that was from February 10 

The 2020 salary cap was roughly $198 million per team. Salary cap analysis website Overthecap.com estimated the 2021 cap number would reach $180 million. One of the people suggested $185 million would be the number, but either way, it will mark the first salary cap decrease since 2011. But that cap is projected to skyrocket to over $200 million for the 2022 season.

As of now, a new cap figure needs to be in place by March 17.

19 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is so stupid 

It’s a fascinating wrinkle that would truly revolutionize overtime and — more importantly — make it fair to both teams.

So essentially they're saying a coin toss is unfair?  

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is so stupid 

Well we have seen worse rules get approved. Still think a team losing a minority promoted to a HC or GM that team gets (2) 3rd round picks is the stupidest rule ever approved by the NFL. When you start approving a racist rule just to try and please and try and look good to one group it is hands down the dumbest rule ever. 

I still think forcing the Redskins to change their name was just as ridiculous. 

I think Earth needs a reboot.

137301.cd96e228-6b6d-4c97-a439-6a8025578

Archived