Duce Staley (Eagles Associate Head Coach) — HIRED BY DETROIT

philafan4o8

Ya I am going to be that guy. Duce would be a great head coach. A lot of y’all bozos will say one of the following: 

- "He was a bad RB coach or had terrible RB rotation.” Doug Pederson clearly stated in his Press conferences that he is in charge of play calling and ALL personnel packages.

- "He has never called plays. Head coach doesn’t need to call plays.” You see more head coaches calling plays but that is not requirement. Put good coordinators around him.

- "We just fired Doug why do we want the same scheme?” No one knows what the hell scheme Staley would like to run. He has coached under Reid, Kelly and Pederson. He understands offense and development of players. He would likely hire a OC that would run more than Doug for sure.

- "No one wants to interview him so that says enough.” Not really lol

- "He can’t develop Wentz or QBs.” That’s why you find a good QB coach and good OC...

- "NO” or "Pass” or "Hard Pass.” You just don’t like Duce Staley.

Did I miss anything?

Bottom line is that Duce is a leader of men and that’s what this team needs. They need a HC that they respect. We need a HC that is going to bring the toughness back to Philly and Duce can be that guy.

I’ll wait for all the hate. Go ahead!

I would not be excited about this hire, but he does have the respect of the locker room and is a player’s coach.

Imo if we want a guy to just surround with good coordinators why not Urban Meyer then.

• Like 1

I think the rationale for promoting Duce would be primarily from a culture-building and leadership standpoint as opposed to Xs and Os. I could potentially get behind this with the right OC and DC hire, but would just prefer to hire a successful coordinator or HC to begin with.

Anthony Lynn was the last notable RB coach to be an NFL head coach and after an initial period of success, he's already looking for a job as well with 2 back to back losing seasons. Duce is probably a riskier hire than some of the other guys available, but the Eagles should at least interview him for the position.

I like Duce a lot. I think he's appeared to do a good job with the Eagles and he's been here a long time.

From what we've read and seen he seems to be a popular and respected guy. But I don't think he's a good way to go for our next HC. For me that would be a mistake and would be more of running it back. 

I can see them doing it though. I can see them promoting Duce and promoting Burke and just running it back. I think lurie already planted that seed yesterday because ultimately I think they are going to find it hard to get the outside guy that they want. 

Whether people like it or not, the later we get in the coaching search the more likely Duce will be our guy. I am all for it. He commands respect of the players and he will increase the toughness of this team. With a good OC and QB coach, they can bring in some fresh ideas. A good DC will match the toughness that Duce wants to see with the team. He is not my first choice but he is in my top 3.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Whether people like it or not, the later we get in the coaching search the more likely Duce will be our guy

I might check the odds on this one because I think there's a very good chance is the next HC but I'm sure he's still fairly long odds. 

On 1/12/2021 at 12:56 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think the rationale for promoting Duce would be primarily from a culture-building and leadership standpoint as opposed to Xs and Os. I could potentially get behind this with the right OC and DC hire, but would just prefer to hire a successful coordinator or HC to begin with.

Anthony Lynn was the last notable RB coach to be an NFL head coach and after an initial period of success, he's already looking for a job as well with 2 back to back losing seasons. Duce is probably a riskier hire than some of the other guys available, but the Eagles should at least interview him for the position.

I think the leadership aspect is more important than the Xs and Os part simply because he can hire good coordinators.  I’d love to know who Duce had in mind to fill out his staff should be be offered the job.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think the leadership aspect is more important than the Xs and Os part simply because he can hire good coordinators.  I’d love to know who Duce had in mind to fill out his staff should be be offered the job.

I agree although I'd argue slightly that in the modern nfl the HCs tend to get more involved on one side of the football (mostly offense) and so they do get much more involved in the Xs and Os.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree although I'd argue slightly that in the modern nfl the HCs tend to get more involved on one side of the football (mostly offense) and so they do get much more involved in the Xs and Os.

Every head coach has always been involved in game planning. You just see more HCs now becoming glorified coordinators. Either way Duce Staley has been a part of or seen all offenses during his time as a player and time as a coach. He is more than equipped to make some offense changes for the better. 

The only coach currently on staff that should be getting any kind of hype to be the next HC should be Jeff Stoutland.  He's the only qualified coach we have left that has a long proven history of developing players.  What has Duce done?  Seems to me that Duce had his chance to prove himself this past season as the assistant head coach.  We went 4-11-1.  Where was all this great coaching influence as Doug's #2 in a season where all we needed was 6 lousy wins to take the division and make the playoffs?  It sure didn't materialize in the form of winning. The proof is in the pudding.  And if recent reports are to be believed, he was about to be passed over as OC yet again if Doug remained as HC.  The Duce fanboys must be seeing something that everyone else isn't. 

19 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

The only coach currently on staff that should be getting any kind of hype to be the next HC should be Jeff Stoutland.  He's the only qualified coach we have left that has a long proven history of developing players.  What has Duce done?  Seems to me that Duce had his chance to prove this past season as the assistant head coach.  We went 4-11-1...

😂😂😂

stop the nonsense 

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Every head coach has always been involved in game planning. You just see more HCs now becoming glorified coordinators. Either way Duce Staley has been a part of or seen all offenses during his time as a player and time as a coach. He is more than equipped to make some offense changes for the better. 

Maybe yes. Some guys are able to take different approaches and make it work. Other guys aren't. The fact that he's been passed up on for a couple of different roles suggests the organisation aren't convinced he's the answer. 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe yes. Some guys are able to take different approaches and make it work. Other guys aren't. The fact that he's been passed up on for a couple of different roles suggests the organisation aren't convinced he's the answer. 

Neither am I. I loved Duce as a player, as a RB coach. Not as a HC just yet. Just too much we know nothing about with him. Id like to see him in a OC role first to see how he handles a much larger role. Or even move him around a bit in different positions. Hes only been a RB coach. I know sometimes coaches get a jump from a position coach spot. I just dont feel comfortable going in that direction. Id like a more experienced guy with this hire. 

Thats why Brian Daboll is my top choice. Hes had many different jobs in offense. Different position coaching jobs, OC jobs on multiple jobs. Not to mention he has been around winning organizations for a long time. Patriots with 5 ring, Alabama with 1 championship, now the Bills on there most successful season since the 90's and mainly because of his work. I think that experience is what Im looking for this time around. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He didnt have a legitimate chance in 2016 to be hired. He was used as token interview to satisfy Rooney Rule. He was then passed up for OC because Pederson wanted Groh. The Eagles thought highly of Staley to make him the assistant head coach. But even as the assistant head coach he had little say on the offense. He was passed up again because Pederson wanted to go without an OC. Then we was about to promote Press Taylor before getting canned. 

Duce never had a legitimate chance. Now players are starting to speak out on Staley's behalf and the Eagles are starting to realized that he is a good head coaching candidate.

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Neither am I. I loved Duce as a player, as a RB coach. Not as a HC just yet. Just too much we know nothing about with him. Id like to see him in a OC role first to see how he handles a much larger role. Or even move him around a bit in different positions. Hes only been a RB coach. I know sometimes coaches get a jump from a position coach spot. I just dont feel comfortable going in that direction. Id like a more experienced guy with this hire. 

Thats why Brian Daboll is my top choice. Hes had many different jobs in offense. Different position coaching jobs, OC jobs on multiple jobs. Not to mention he has been around winning organizations for a long time. Patriots with 5 ring, Alabama with 1 championship, now the Bills on there most successful season since the 90's and mainly because of his work. I think that experience is what Im looking for this time around. 

I am so confused. Since Duce has been with the team the RB position has literally been the most stable position on the team year in and year out. This bozo Doug Pederson tried to throw Staley under the bus by saying he controlled the RB rotation but that is not true. Doug Pederson has literally said multiple times in interviews that he controls all playcalls and personel packages on offense. Does is make sense for someone to change personel if they do not know which plays are about to be called? As a former RB Duce understands the importance of RBs getting into a rhythm.

I am not going to say he is the best candidate. I respect everyones opinion if they like other candidate more than Duce. My issue is with people saying that he has not done enough to be a head coach in this league. For whatever it is worth and Im sure it is just a title but Duce has also been the Assistant Head Coach of this team. Duce is not my top choice but i think he has the tools and experience to be a good head coach in this league now!

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Just too much we know nothing about with him. Id like to see him in a OC role first to see how he handles a much larger role.

Problem is... I'm not sure it's going to make a lot of changes to the offense and bottom line that's what this team needs. I think they need fresh ideas from the outside. 

5 hours ago, Macho Grande said:

The only coach currently on staff that should be getting any kind of hype to be the next HC should be Jeff Stoutland.  He's the only qualified coach we have left that has a long proven history of developing players.  What has Duce done?  Seems to me that Duce had his chance to prove this past season as the assistant head coach.  We went 4-11-1.  Where was all this great coaching influence as Doug's #2 in a season where all we needed was 6 lousy wins to take the division and make the playoffs?  It sure didn't materialize in the form of winning. The proof is in the pudding.  And if recent reports are to be believed, he was about to be passed over as OC yet again if Doug remained as HC.  The Duce fanboys must be seeing something that everyone else isn't. 

Well if we want any shot of keeping Jeff Stoutland from going back to Alabama as their OL coach, it may require a promotion to HC.

For what it's worth he was the interim HC for the University of Miami in 2010 and an offensive coordinator for Southern Connecticut from 1988-1992, in addition to all of his experience as an OL coach.

Probably not going to happen, but another alternative if we're going the in-house route.

25 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Well if we want any shot of keeping Jeff Stoutland from going back to Alabama as their OL coach, it may require a promotion to HC.

For what it's worth he was the interim HC for the University of Miami in 2010 and an offensive coordinator for Southern Connecticut from 1988-1992, in addition to all of his experience as an OL coach.

Probably not going to happen, but another alternative if we're going the in-house route.

You dont promote a guy to HC just to keep him coaching the Oline. Yes he is a very good oline coach but Im not promoting him just to keep the oline happy. 

I see a .00001% chance they hire within. So if he decides not to stay with the new coach, so be it. Wish him the best and on to the next man up. 

21 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

You dont promote a guy to HC just to keep him coaching the Oline. Yes he is a very good oline coach but Im not promoting him just to keep the oline happy. 

I see a .00001% chance they hire within. So if he decides not to stay with the new coach, so be it. Wish him the best and on to the next man up. 

LMAO this is getting out of control. I completely agree with you.

I understand people questioning Duce but people want Stoutland as HC? Really? 

48 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

LMAO this is getting out of control. I completely agree with you.

I understand people questioning Duce but people want Stoutland as HC? Really? 

Nobody said they want Stoutland as their first choice for HC.  I said he's the only coach on staff who's worthy of any kind of hype for it.  Because like I said, he's the only coach left on staff with a long proven record of developing players.  And he has the love and respect of the team just like Duce does.  When you compare resumes, it's Stoutland by far, and it's not even close.  Stop the nonsense indeed.  

Look we get it.  You love Duce and you're obviously biased towards him.  But that doesn't mean you have to defend him to the point of making a fool of yourself.  

2 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

Nobody said they want Stoutland as their first choice for HC.  I said he's the only coach on staff who's worthy of any kind of hype for it.  Because like I said, he's the only coach left on staff with a long proven record of developing players.  And he has the love and respect of the team just like Duce does.  When you compare resumes, it's Stoutland by far, and it's not even close.  Stop the nonsense indeed.  

Look we get it.  You love Duce and you're obviously biased towards him.  But that doesn't mean you have to defend him to the point of making a fool of yourself.  

When did i say this? 

Who said Duce is my first choice? Just the simple fact of stating he is a good candidate, please lose their minds. 

Yes, Stoutland has coached for a long time with success in developing players. In Duce's short coaching experience (relatively speaking) has had success in developing players as well. 

but I respect your opinion

IDK, maybe Duce would actually incorporate the running game Ped was eager to give up every game???? Add a pass happy OC and thats a nice mix of ideas/game planning Pointless to have Sanders if you hardly play him

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK, maybe Duce would actually incorporate the running game Ped was eager to give up every game???? Add a pass happy OC and thats a nice mix of ideas/game planning Pointless to have Sanders if you hardly play him

I don't think you can give Sanders a heavy load though. He's a special talent with the ball in his hands no doubt but I don't think he's shown he can withstand a heavy load. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think you can give Sanders a heavy load though. He's a special talent with the ball in his hands no doubt but I don't think he's shown he can withstand a heavy load. 

I think he can, but it would be better for us if he didn't.

There is a fantasy of mine, where Duce becomes HC and we draft Najee Harris for him.. Sanders, Harris and Hurts with Duce would be interesting.

• Like 1