Duce Staley (Eagles Associate Head Coach) — HIRED BY DETROIT

philafan4o8

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which is just complete nonsense. The HC should hire his staff as part of his vision not the other way around. 

If they hire a Yes Man like Duce or Kafka I guarantee Howie and Lurie will pick the rest of the staff. If they actually Land one of the top candidates like Brian Daboll I have a feeling they will let him choose his coaches. I think the same thing happened in 2016 when they did not get one of the top candidates and they went with the Yes Man Doug.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Well, you just know that Howie gonna Howie. Only Lurie can stop that now and he thinks Howie is the best ever so, we're screwed sideways.

Yep! The sad reality of this situation is that our owner is as to blame as the GM. And neither are going anywhere anytime soon. 

31 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

If they hire a Yes Man like Duce or Kafka I guarantee Howie and Lurie will pick the rest of the staff. If they actually Land one of the top candidates like Brian Daboll I have a feeling they will let him choose his coaches. I think the same thing happened in 2016 when they did not get one of the top candidates and they went with the Yes Man Doug.

Oh bud I don't disagree with you at all. If they want a yes man then they want to pick the staff. But to me that's just such a flawed way of doing it 9 times out of 10.

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh bud I don't disagree with you at all. If they want a yes man then they want to pick the staff. But to me that's just such a flawed way of doing it 9 times out of 10.

I agree it's not the direction you should go. However I will say it did help us win a Superbowl. Because the front office picked both Jim and Frank. I still honestly think Doug was forced to give Frank more responsibilities after the week 2 loss against Kansas City. That right there won a Superbowl with some luck LOL. However after that it just did not work and I think mainly because Doug refused to use them or they just sucked lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I agree it's not the direction you should go. However I will say it did help us win a Superbowl. Because the front office picked both Jim and Frank. I still honestly think Doug was forced to give Frank more responsibilities after the week 2 loss against Kansas City. That right there won a Superbowl with some luck LOL. However after that it just did not work and I think mainly because Doug refused to use them or they just sucked lol

Yeah I mean I think the planets aligned for us that year. So many freak events that happened and this team just battled through them. I think generally speaking the HC should pick his staff that can implement his vision and scheme. 

On 1/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean I think the planets aligned for us that year. So many freak events that happened and this team just battled through them. I think generally speaking the HC should pick his staff that can implement his vision and scheme. 

... and then either sink or swim with them.  If they fail you can them all and feel good about moving on ... nothing cloudy about it (like what we’ve experienced).  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

... and then either sink or swim with them.  If they fail you can them all and feel good about moving on ... nothing cloudy about it (like what we’ve experienced).  

Exactly. As soon as the HC isn't in charge of hiring, and firing, his staff I think you've got an issue. 

• Like 1

I would be fine if the choice is Duce.  Lots of feel good story there and I think he is a leader of men and could be a good Tomlin/Harbaugh CEO type coach. 

The biggest concern I have is his staff.  If he builds a staff that has at its core a philosophy of innovation from college and pros and regularly rejuvenates with outside hires it would be awesome and high probability for success.

It would also help Duce to learn and grow overtime as an OC and play caller if needed based on churn at OC.

You guys supporting Duce are all lemmings. That’s exactly what Lurie and Howie want fans to do. Drink some more green Cool Aid. 

Duce is a good position coach but has no experience as a coordinator or head coach. No experience with QB’s. What qualifies him to be a head coach? I don’t see other organizations banging down his door to be a coordinator, let alone a head coach. I like Duce and I wish him all the success in the world but he’s by far not the best coaching candidate. 

The Eagles have let the best candidates go elsewhere so they can get "stuck” with Duce. When they hire him they will tell you how Duce was #1 on their list and he was more impressive than the other candidates. In reality, they will only be hiring him to keep control. Then they can control what coaches are hired, who’s on the team, who’s inactive, who they draft, etc. They figure they won a SB with "yes man” Doug so they can do it again with Duce.  

7 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

You guys supporting Duce are all lemmings. That’s exactly what Lurie and Howie want fans to do. Drink some more green I need to find a new cliche. 

Duce is a good position coach but has no experience as a coordinator or head coach. No experience with QB’s. What qualifies him to be a head coach? I don’t see other organizations banging down his door to be a coordinator, let alone a head coach. I like Duce and I wish him all the success in the world but he’s by far not the best coaching candidate. 

The Eagles have let the best candidates go elsewhere so they can get "stuck” with Duce. When they hire him they will tell you how Duce was #1 on their list and he was more impressive than the other candidates. In reality, they will only be hiring him to keep control. Then they can control what coaches are hired, who’s on the team, who’s inactive, who they draft, etc. They figure they won a SB with "yes man” Doug so they can do it again with Duce.  

Seems it is down to Duce or McDaniels (according to most "reports" ... I use the term loosely because it is really nothing more than speculation since no one outside of Lurie and Howie would have any inside info).

I do think Duce is much more likely to be the same "yes man" or "puppet" (that Doug was) than McDaniels and the recent trend of "assisting" the HC with staffing decisions would continue if he is hired.  

It wouldn't bother me as much as some of you if Duce is the one named as Doug's successor.  Having Howie continue to run the show, a really bad cap situation that is going to make it extremely difficult to add talent other than via the draft where we know Howie struggles, a roster with a lot of aging vets that are past their prime that also come with bloated contracts due to kicking the can down the road ... I don't think it matters who is named HC - this team is going to struggle for a couple of years (payment for the "going for it" mentality since 2017).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

You guys supporting Duce are all lemmings. That’s exactly what Lurie and Howie want fans to do. Drink some more green I need to find a new cliche. 

I'm not sure how I'm a lemming. I believe a coach has to be respected by the players and that isn't a problem with Duce. What I like a lot about the idea of hiring Duce is that he won't be married to the idea of play-calling which allows him to be a true HC during games. If we bring in someone like McDaniels, it will be the Doug situation all over again. 

What I want in a HC is someone to lead, prepare and motivate this team. The position coaches can worry about specific positions and the Coordinators can manage the offense and defense on game days. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure how I'm a lemming. I believe a coach has to be respected by the players and that isn't a problem with Duce. What I like a lot about the idea of hiring Duce is that he won't be married to the idea of play-calling which allows him to be a true HC during games. If we bring in someone like McDaniels, it will be the Doug situation all over again. 

What I want in a HC is someone to lead, prepare and motivate this team. The position coaches can worry about specific positions and the Coordinators can manage the offense and defense on game days. 

Thank you! Some people’s qualifications for head coach are laughable. Duce is far from a yes man but no matter who takes this job, they will be a yes man to a certain degree. Howie and Lurie will not give anyone full reign. 

These lemmings keep bringing up the fact that no one else is scheduling Duce for interviews...ok...again Andy Reid did not interview with anyone but eagles. Doug Pederson for what it’s worth didn’t interview with anyone but eagles and he won a damn Super Bowl here.

4 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Thank you! Some people’s qualifications for head coach are laughable. Duce is far from a yes man but no matter who takes this job, they will be a yes man to a certain degree. Howie and Lurie will not give anyone full reign. 

These lemmings keep bringing up the fact that no one else is scheduling Duce for interviews...ok...again Andy Reid did not interview with anyone but eagles. Doug Pederson for what it’s worth didn’t interview with anyone but eagles and he won a damn Super Bowl here.

I also read that the interview with Duce went well and that he went into it prepared --- that he had candidates ready to fill his staff if he gets the job. It's pretty much a joke that people are questioning his experience/qualifications. He's been professional throughout his football career. 

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I think it is laughable that some hold how he handled the RB rotation against him as far as his qualifications for HC.  

Just now, time2rock said:

I think it is laughable that some hold how he handled the RB rotation against him as far as his qualifications for HC.  

As fans, RBBC, kind of sucks --- especially if you draft RBs on your fantasy football team that are part of it. Most of the time (we see a change), I see the RBs raising their hand to come out. I just don't get what the "complaint" is in that regard.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Seems it is down to Duce or McDaniels (according to most "reports" ... I use the term loosely because it is really nothing more than speculation since no one outside of Lurie and Howie would have any inside info).

I do think Duce is much more likely to be the same "yes man" or "puppet" (that Doug was) than McDaniels and the recent trend of "assisting" the HC with staffing decisions would continue if he is hired.  

It wouldn't bother me as much as some of you if Duce is the one named as Doug's successor.  Having Howie continue to run the show, a really bad cap situation that is going to make it extremely difficult to add talent other than via the draft where we know Howie struggles, a roster with a lot of aging vets that are past their prime that also come with bloated contracts due to kicking the can down the road ... I don't think it matters who is named HC - this team is going to struggle for a couple of years (payment for the "going for it" mentality since 2017).  

I agree but the sliver lining could be finally be the end of Howie if they suck real bad and he’s pulling strings. They need to change the formula. Hiring Duce isn’t going to transform Wentz into 2017 Wentz. They need a staff of QB whispers like they had when they won the SB. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

What are his qualifications? RB coach? How many successful head coaches have been elevated from RB coach to Head Coach. I’m not aware of any. 

58 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Andy Reid was the QB coach for the Packers. He helped develop Brett Favre. Many Qb coaches are elevated to HC but very few go from RB coach to HC.

6 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I agree but the sliver lining could be finally be the end of Howie if they suck real bad and he’s pulling strings. They need to change the formula. Hiring Duce isn’t going to transform Wentz into 2017 Wentz. They need a staff of QB whispers like they had when they won the SB. 

It was reported that Duce impressed Lurie with the staff he proposed if hired.  I agree they need a much stronger coach than Taylor to give Wentz the hard coaching he needs, but think that is more likely to come from the position coach (and OC as well) more so than HC (just like when Doug was hired ... it has been said that Reich and Flip had much more to do with Wentz's early development than anyone).  

I do think it is likely we stink the next year or two regardless of who we hire.  So hopefully that silver lining is realized at that point and Howie is swept out and they do it right next time ... hire a new GM who hires a HC.  

38 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I do think it is likely we stink the next year or two regardless of who we hire

Only 1-2?

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Only 1-2?

Minimally.  After that it all depends.  Do they make the right moves this offseason to get rid of those aging vets with bloated contracts to free up cap space (and let the young bucks play).  Does the addition of Dorsey in the evaluation process bear fruit (do we have a higher level of success with our draft picks ... can't get much worse).  Do the new HC hire the right people to serve as OC and DC and do they implement schemes that play to the strengths of our players.  And of course, what is the QB play like.  So many unknowns right now to predict beyond that.  

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Andy Reid was the QB coach for the Packers. He helped develop Brett Favre. Many Qb coaches are elevated to HC but very few go from RB coach to HC.

Since very few go from RB coach to HC means Duce should not be considered or is not able to be a HC. Got it

I think things are falling in to place for Duce to be the next HC. I think the organization realise if they don't give Duce this opportunity then he will leave. And if they think he can be a good HC at some point then they'll want that to be in Philly. 

The biggest factor left is what kind of coaches can they surround him with. He's going to need help on both the offense and defense so they need to find the right people.