Eagles players to skip voluntary OTA's

Procus

I cannot think of a more loyal and rabid fan base than fans of the Philadelphia Eagles.  Most of the fan base have families to support and go to work every day, often under less than ideal circumstances.  The players just effectively gave the fans the collective finger.  NFL football just got a lot less interesting in my book.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/18/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-nflpa-voluntary-workouts-boycott/

Eagles latest NFL team to announce they're skipping voluntary offseason workouts

Eagles-skipping-voluntary-offseason-workouts-Miles-Sanders.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

April 18, 2021 10:03 am

The Philadelphia Eagles have joined a growing list of teams that have agreed to skip voluntary offseason workouts amid uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.

18 other teams have now expressed similar concerns about in-person onfield workouts amid health concerns.

In the statement, it says they feel it’s "unnecessary at this time for players to be volunteering to put themselves at risk for in-person workouts,” considering players are currently training on their own across the country and doing so safely.

Players won’t be required to attend team workouts until mandatory minicamp begins in June, with all OTAs and prior sessions being completely voluntary.

last month https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-spotted-working-out-free-agent-wide-receiver

disingenuous. Bull crap. 

This team sucks and now theyre not taking opportunities to get better. 

They better be at the first voluntary camp since they have a new coach. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Procus said:

NFL football just got a lot less interesting in my book.

Because of voluntary workouts?

A25B234B-160F-40C0-9676-BEC6C208EAC3.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

giphy.gif

This season is a lost cause anyways, and no amount of OTAs is going to change that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

giphy.gif

This season is a lost cause anyways, and no amount of OTAs is going to change that.

I disagree my friend.  We have a new coaching staff installing a new system.  The Eagles players will be drowning in 2021 - and it didn't have to be that way.  The management decided not to blow up the team.  There is talent on this squad.

18 minutes ago, Procus said:

I disagree my friend.  We have a new coaching staff installing a new system.  The Eagles players will be drowning in 2021 - and it didn't have to be that way.  The management decided not to blow up the team.  There is talent on this squad.

the players and coaches arent allowed to have any contact. So that has no bearing on this story. However, it is still BS that they can organize their own camps, and work out at various other performance facilities, and then say its unsafe for them to come lift weights at the team facility. They are using COVID as an excuse, when convenient, to be controlled less by the team and have more free time in the already long offseason.

"Yeah, hey, so we've got this voluntary program right in the middle of your vacation. You're not going to be paid, but you'll be working and getting better at your job." 

"I'm sorry, I'm in Xaxilinsafgar and the reception here is terrible. How much did you say I'm getting paid?" 

"Nothing." 

[Muffled] "Hey, kids, be quiet, this is an important call. I need to hear what the man is saying. Hey go get the guy and tell him I need more margaritas. These pitchers aren't as big as they look. Yeah, scram. No, all of you. One in each hand. Okay, so, yeah, sorry about that, I'm just spending some time here with my family. So, I didn't get to hear how much you're going to pay me to work on my vacation." 

"Nothing."

"Nothing what?" 

"Nothing dollars. No dollars." 

"Uh huh. Is this thing working? I really don't think I'm getting good reception here. I can't understand what you're saying. Let me call you back later...." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wyote said:

"Yeah, hey, so we've got this voluntary program right in the middle of your vacation. You're not going to be paid, but you'll be working and getting better at your job." 

"I'm sorry, I'm in Xaxilinsafgar and the reception here is terrible. How much did you say I'm getting paid?" 

"Nothing." 

[Muffled] "Hey, kids, be quiet, this is an important call. I need to hear what the man is saying. Hey go get the guy and tell him I need more margaritas. These pitchers aren't as big as they look. Yeah, scram. No, all of you. One in each hand. Okay, so, yeah, sorry about that, I'm just spending some time here with my family. So, I didn't get to hear how much you're going to pay me to work on my vacation." 

"Nothing."

"Nothing what?" 

"Nothing dollars. No dollars." 

"Uh huh. Is this thing working? I really don't think I'm getting good reception here. I can't understand what you're saying. Let me call you back later...." 

That is why they are getting paid on average 850k a year. Average people in the US will take 17 years to make that much, so it's not a vacation. It's about doing their job and improving.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Procus said:

I cannot think of a more loyal and rabid fan base than fans of the Philadelphia Eagles.  Most of the fan base have families to support and go to work every day, often under less than ideal circumstances.  The players just effectively gave the fans the collective finger.  NFL football just got a lot less interesting in my book.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/18/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-nflpa-voluntary-workouts-boycott/

And yet those same fans would **** and moan when we can barely field a team because of injuries or covid.

5 minutes ago, Madriver said:

And yet those same fans would **** and moan when we can barely field a team because of injuries or covid.

Why wouldn't we be able to field a team if a player got covid in May or June? 

The collective finger they, along with 18 other teams, are giving is to the NFL for adding the 17th game.  Covid is a convenient excuse. But I believe they just don’t want to have another week of work.  That’s why these OTA were voluntary to begin with, the nfl can’t force them to do more than their contract says. Now it says 17 games. Which is another week in the weight room, another week of hitting, another week of damaging their bodies, and another week of recovery.  Oh and they aren’t getting any extra salary for the 17th game, just forced to do more work for the same amount of money.  Imagine your boss said you can’t take that week of a vacation anymore, ever, but you have to work 4 extra hours a day for one month for the rest of your employment, and you won’t get any extra payments.  But he or she also wants you to voluntarily come in on Saturday’s for a week on top of that.  You know, for extra "professional development” work.  

I don’t blame them for skipping it.  

2 hours ago, Procus said:

You had me until the end

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DBW said:

The collective finger they, along with 18 other teams, are giving is to the NFL for adding the 17th game.  Covid is a convenient excuse. But I believe they just don’t want to have another week of work.  That’s why these OTA were voluntary to begin with, the nfl can’t force them to do more than their contract says. Now it says 17 games. Which is another week in the weight room, another week of hitting, another week of damaging their bodies, and another week of recovery.  Oh and they aren’t getting any extra salary for the 17th game, just forced to do more work for the same amount of money.  Imagine your boss said you can’t take that week of a vacation anymore, ever, but you have to work 4 extra hours a day for one month for the rest of your employment, and you won’t get any extra payments.  But he or she also wants you to voluntarily come in on Saturday’s for a week on top of that.  You know, for extra "professional development” work.  

I don’t blame them for skipping it.  

That extra week means increased TV revenues which translates into a higher cap which translates into higher salaries.  Do you honestly believe this would have been approved if the players did not receive a benefit from the extra week?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

You had me until the end

Miles Sanders, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, Dallas Goeddert, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Darius Slay, Anthony Harris, Eric Wilson.

I repeat, there is talent on this squad.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Procus said:

That extra week means increased TV revenues which translates into a higher cap which translates into higher salaries.  Do you honestly believe this would have been approved if the players did not receive a benefit from the extra week?

Show me the list of all the salaries that were bumped this year and all the contracts that were torn up and rewritten to pay the players under contract More money now that they went to 17 games.  

10 minutes ago, DBW said:

Show me the list of all the salaries that were bumped this year and all the contracts that were torn up and rewritten to pay the players under contract More money now that they went to 17 games.  

It's 86 and sunny in Miami Beach on a Sunday and I live in an oceanfront condo.   I have better things to do than mollify your curiosity because you were proven wrong again.😂

This goes to future cap, not past cap.  Try and think before you type.

7 minutes ago, Procus said:

It's 86 and sunny in Miami Beach on a Sunday and I live in an oceanfront condo.   I have better things to do than mollify your curiosity because you were proven wrong again.😂

This goes to future cap, not past cap.  Try and think before you type.

Thanks for the weather report.  Here’s the skinny....anybody making over 4.5m base salary for contracts negotiated before the 17th game being added will make less money than their usual game check for the 17th game because it’s capped at $250,000.  So there are some pissed off players making less for the 17th game.  Unless they negotiated their contract after the 17th game became official. Which isn’t many players.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/report-17th-game-would-mean-an-extra-game-check-capped-at-250000/amp/

29 minutes ago, Procus said:

Miles Sanders, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, Dallas Goeddert, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Darius Slay, Anthony Harris, Eric Wilson.

Can they stay healthy though?

I don’t care what they do in the offseason with voluntary activities.  When they win 4 games again, they’ll all be held accountable with boo’s and lost jobs.

But skipping OTAs is their right, so it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

That’s not talent.

Meh. This team is Fed regardless of how much they do or don't practice. Just one more reason to not watch them this year.