Eagles players to skip voluntary OTA's

Procus

The quality of play has really deteriorated since the NFL went along with the NFLPA's demands for less off season work. Is it too much to ask for guys getting paid millions of dollars to show up for a few practices over the off season? Can't they work their friggin vacations in between the end of the season, OTA's and training camp? JFC wish I got paid as much as they do for 6 months of work.

• Like 2

Wouldn't have an issue with this if it was truly, 100% about COVID. It's clearly not and they're using it as an excuse. It's a trend by the players, not just the Eagles, that they don't want to participate in these workouts. 

But hey, if/when they start out 0-4/1-3 and we get to hear the excuses internally about how they're behind the curve because they have a new coaching staff and didn't have workouts, we can all sit back and laugh. 

• Like 1

Mandatory = You SHALL be there or suffer consequences.

Voluntary = You can be there if you want, or not be there if you don't, with no consequences.

The workouts are voluntary. Let it go.

Unless they're taking over a powerhouse, 1st year HC's almost always struggle mightily, especially rookie HC's. A probable 3-14 season is on tap anyway. Just hope Wentz plays 75%+ snaps in a bad season for the Colts and that the Dolphins implode. Could have 3 top 10 picks next year, which quite frankly, they need. If they trade back from12 into the 20's they could garner a fourth 1st round pick for next year. Fine with me, since the elite prospects will be gone by 12, and this team needs young top shelf talent added at many positions.

I don't want them to stink. I just think they will for a while, and I would like for them to rebuild an unstoppable winning machine. That takes a lot of elite talent and getting that requires draft dominance. With Howie's track record in the draft, he'll need all the top picks he can get.

3 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Wouldn't have an issue with this if it was truly, 100% about COVID. It's clearly not and they're using it as an excuse. It's a trend by the players, not just the Eagles, that they don't want to participate in these workouts. 

But hey, if/when they start out 0-4/1-3 and we get to hear the excuses internally about how they're behind the curve because they have a new coaching staff and didn't have workouts, we can all sit back and laugh. 

It's for conditioning, coaches are not involved . Most older vets never attend these things anyways. Every year people piss and moan about players not at voluntary workouts. 

• Like 2

Using the excuse of COVID is bad form, IMO.  These guys are out at bars/restaurants and they're worrying about working out in the same building/room and maybe doing some walk throughs learning a new system?  This is more likely the players giving the owners the middle finger for the 17th game with no pay raise for extra work.  If the players came out and said such instead of using COVID as an excuse then I think loads more people would understand and not be all that upset. 

The 17th game is stupid and I don't like it.  Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than the last team the league expanded the schedule from 14 games to 16.  That's another game to get beat up and put in a position to get injured while the owners/League failed to add an extra bye week or make a change to the schedule so teams playing on Thursday (another stupid and greedy thing that I hate) would be coming off their bye week instead of only having 4 days rest.  However, it does seem when practices had more contact and game speed than these lighter practices that exist now that not as many players got hurt because their bodies were better adjusted to game speed and contact.

If you don't think the Vets see this as a way to limit competition with younger players, you are crazy.  The less coaching focus, training, repetition, and directed film study that the younger players get, the better for the old guys.

I can't recall who, but someone on a podcast mentioned that this past season there was a decrease in injuries (all except the Eagles).

That just highlights the NFLPA statement that voluntary OTAs are not required as they keep the players in better health. Of course, it hinders the growth of younger players which makes the veterans happy as it keeps them in jobs for a longer time.

In 2020, there was no on-field offseason work, a shortened training camp with a two-week acclimation period, fewer players in camp and no preseason games. Injuries, including concussions, were reduced with 30 percent fewer head injuries, there was a 23 percent decrease in missed playing time related to injuries and 45 percent decrease in heat-related illness.

Further reality is that from the start of training camp, there were 542 instances of players being placed on reserve/COVID-19 (many because of high-risk contact and not a positive test) with a total of 5,528 missed days. That doesn’t include coaches and other staff that missed work.

11 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This has nothing to do with work ethic, getting soft or COVID.  

It has everything to do with professional athletes getting soft and their general work ethic. Why else would they choose this path? They want to make more money each year and at the same time, work less and take less risks. 

If you want to take less risks, take less pay. 

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It has everything to do with professional athletes getting soft and their general work ethic. Why else would they choose this path? They want to make more money each year and at the same time, work less and take less risks. 

If you want to take less risks, take less pay. 

Union politics.

The NFLPAs position is that voluntary means voluntary but teams pressure players to attend anyway.  They say the first phase of OTAs is strictly conditioning and a lot of guys think their personalized offseason training routines are better than what the teams want them to do. It's also now a 17 game season.  

It's not about risk.  It's about control. 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, greend said:

Sure I would whine about being paid, when I get a kazillion dollars a year otherwise.

"Hero dollars? Did you say hero dollars?" 

"Zero dollars." 

"Princess, honey, run up to the hotel room and bring daddy the bottle with the pirate on it. They're not making these margaritas right. -- Because hero dollars is what I should get paid to come to work in the middle of my vacation." 

"We pay you a lot of money the rest of the year." 

"And I appreciate that too, boss. How much are you paying me to give up the middle of my vacation?" 

"Think of all the people who'd love to make the kind of money you make."

"You know, maybe it's my CTE acting up again, but now that my kids are all off fetching booze, I think we can be honest with each other. Hookers and blow ain't as cheap as they used to be, boss. You gotta help me out a little here. Even the guy that cleans my pool wants a tip. What am I supposed to do?" 

Sports suck now. NBA players don't play games and are as soft and lazy as hell. Old school players would clean their f ing clocks. Now football players are starting THEIR soft ass BS. Professional athletes? Drop the word professional. Sports suck these days due to these sissies acting like children. Wussies- all of them.

Edit: Did I mention they get paid a gazillion dollars to play a game- yet they cry like bishes??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, DBW said:

The collective finger they, along with 18 other teams, are giving is to the NFL for adding the 17th game.  Covid is a convenient excuse. But I believe they just don’t want to have another week of work.  That’s why these OTA were voluntary to begin with, the nfl can’t force them to do more than their contract says. Now it says 17 games. Which is another week in the weight room, another week of hitting, another week of damaging their bodies, and another week of recovery.  Oh and they aren’t getting any extra salary for the 17th game, just forced to do more work for the same amount of money.  Imagine your boss said you can’t take that week of a vacation anymore, ever, but you have to work 4 extra hours a day for one month for the rest of your employment, and you won’t get any extra payments.  But he or she also wants you to voluntarily come in on Saturday’s for a week on top of that.  You know, for extra "professional development” work.  

I don’t blame them for skipping it.  

On one hand you are right ... But NFL teams also take public funds to build stadiums. At what point does obligation to the public begins? From the players? from the team? Players and team pretend they care about children..by building playgrounds..and the next moment they are Disrespecting the same fans that in the long run are paying their salaries. Sure they have rights as individuals..but at some point when they cross the line into a public figure ..they loose their right to privacy..and the right to be an A-hole by showing a finger to the public.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:47 AM, Hawkeye said:

This has nothing to do with work ethic, getting soft or COVID. This is an unexpectedly contentious issue between the NFL and the NFLPA.  Players from virtually every team have announced they're skipping phase one of the voluntary OTAS. The Eagles players are trying to stand with their NFLPA brethren.

And not every player will sit out - guys with workout bonuses will come in as will guys who will have to fight to make the roster. Phase one is only conditioning, anyway so who cares? Let the lawyers sort it out and get everyone in for Phases 2 and 3 when they start working on actual football. 

Prime time QBs demand to be traded.. Player Union demands -whatever. It sounds like the beginning of the end for the NFL. What's Next??? Because changes will only escalate and they will not stop until public looses interest to watch some Rich players wine about how hard it is, and the salaries decline.  

On 4/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, PoconoDon said:

Mandatory = You SHALL be there or suffer consequences.

Voluntary = You can be there if you want, or not be there if you don't, with no consequences.

The workouts are voluntary. Let it go.

Unless they're taking over a powerhouse, 1st year HC's almost always struggle mightily, especially rookie HC's. A probable 3-14 season is on tap anyway. Just hope Wentz plays 75%+ snaps in a bad season for the Colts and that the Dolphins implode. Could have 3 top 10 picks next year, which quite frankly, they need. If they trade back from12 into the 20's they could garner a fourth 1st round pick for next year. Fine with me, since the elite prospects will be gone by 12, and this team needs young top shelf talent added at many positions.

I don't want them to stink. I just think they will for a while, and I would like for them to rebuild an unstoppable winning machine. That takes a lot of elite talent and getting that requires draft dominance. With Howie's track record in the draft, he'll need all the top picks he can get.

So he can trade down and acquire more mid to later in the first round picks to screw up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So he can trade down and acquire more mid to later in the first round picks to screw up.

Unfortunately so yes! He will trade picks, he will acquire more because ultimately he can sell it as part of the rebuild that this team needs. And so Lurie will give him the time to start that rebuild and then Howie will make further moves that help to solidify his position within the organisation.

6 hours ago, wyote said:

"Hero dollars? Did you say hero dollars?" 

"Zero dollars." 

"Princess, honey, run up to the hotel room and bring daddy the bottle with the pirate on it. They're not making these margaritas right. -- Because hero dollars is what I should get paid to come to work in the middle of my vacation." 

"We pay you a lot of money the rest of the year." 

"And I appreciate that too, boss. How much are you paying me to give up the middle of my vacation?" 

"Think of all the people who'd love to make the kind of money you make."

"You know, maybe it's my CTE acting up again, but now that my kids are all off fetching booze, I think we can be honest with each other. Hookers and blow ain't as cheap as they used to be, boss. You gotta help me out a little here. Even the guy that cleans my pool wants a tip. What am I supposed to do?" 

Middle of my vacation thats 5 months long. Yeah, yeah, they work out during that time too. So do I. 

It is voluntary,  but let's not act like the poor guys don't get enough vacation. Almost anyone would trade them in a heart beat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greend said:

Middle of my vacation thats 5 months long. Yeah, yeah, they work out during that time too. So do I. 

It is voluntary,  but let's not act like the poor guys don't get enough vacation. Almost anyone would trade them in a heart beat.

About 7 billion of those people would trade places with me too, but I'm not doing volunteer work for my boss in the middle of my vacation.

The argument that they ought to want to win so badly that they show up makes some sense. I mean, heck, I've even paid out of my own pocket for things that were supposed to make me better at my job (or make worth higher pay at least). But just saying, hey, they're already privileged -- well, so the owners are even more privileged. When, say, Jerry Jones starts giving away gas for free during a blackout, maybe we'll talk. Maybe. 

• Haha 1

Some of you aren't going to watch the Eagles because they bailed on OTA's?

Or because they might suck?

Hand in your fan club memberships. You clearly do not have what it takes to be an Eagles fan.

Fair weather-fagolas.

7 hours ago, greend said:

On the other hand, these guys are elite athletes and don't lie in the hammock all winter with a can of Bud Light.  Their workouts are insane. They have body coaches and trainers and nutritionists.  Frankly based on the Eagles injury history they might be better off training with their own guys instead of the team mandated conditioning program. 

11 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Prime time QBs demand to be traded.. Player Union demands -whatever. It sounds like the beginning of the end for the NFL. What's Next??? Because changes will only escalate and they will not stop until public looses interest to watch some Rich players wine about how hard it is, and the salaries decline.  

And yet we all or most of us donated money to keep this board alive so we can keep complaining about these players making all this money lol. They are not going anywhere 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And yet we all or most of us donated money to keep this board alive so we can keep complaining about these players making all this money lol. They are not going anywhere 

Dichotomy. What do you do when you loving dog..randomly pisses on your leg? You complain.. you spend money ..LOL a lot like you are describing..but at the end of the day you will still love it. My obsession with the Eagles since 1979 has no rational explanation, but through good times and bad it is still there.

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

On the other hand, these guys are elite athletes and don't lie in the hammock all winter with a can of Bud Light.  Their workouts are insane. They have body coaches and trainers and nutritionists.  Frankly based on the Eagles injury history they might be better off training with their own guys instead of the team mandated conditioning program. 

If they were training to be individual athletes..perhaps. But if they are trading to be a team...cohesiveness is essential.

6 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Dichotomy. What do you do when you loving dog..randomly pisses on your leg? You complain.. you spend money ..LOL a lot like you are describing..but at the end of the day you will still love it. My obsession with the Eagles since 1979 has no rational explanation, but through good times and bad it is still there.

Cool

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

If they were training to be individual athletes..perhaps. But if they are trading to be a team...cohesiveness is essential.

I agree but they aren't allowed to practice or even talk football with the coaches until later in the program.  This phase is strictly about conditioning.  Even Tom Brady skipped this part of the OTAs at times.   

I would certainly prefer everyone show up to at least begin the process of building this team but considering everything from union politics to health and safety, I'm not too concerned.