Eagles players to skip voluntary OTA's

Procus

No big deal.  This isnt the 80's and 90's anymore.  It's a different era.

Most of the players already workout, stay in shape, improve their skills, etc on their own time during the offseason.  They don't need voluntary workouts.

Most of the teams will be doing the same anyways.

If they want to skip OTA'S, whatever. Players do it all of the time. My problem is trying to use covid as an excuse for why they are doing it. I'd be shocked if each and every one of these guys isn't vaccinated by then. This, to me, is a whole bunch of NFL players league wide using covid to try to collectively bargain less practice time while in the middle of a current deal they agreed to. Anyone with half a brain can see right through it and it's a bad look when the average person making less than six figures is currently working and has been working for most if not all of the pandemic.

Do we have any bonuses tied to showing up? If they don't, does that bonus money revert back to the cap since it's unspent/unearned?

12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Do we have any bonuses tied to showing up? If they don't, does that bonus money revert back to the cap since it's unspent/unearned?

I thought those bonuses were for the mandatory camps?

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I thought those bonuses were for the mandatory camps?

I read something (non-Eagles related but still related to the NFLPA telling players not to show up) that some players had large bonuses to show up. To my thinking, a bonus would be an incentive to do something that you don't have to. Mandatory camps are mandatory, so why pay a bonus to have them do something that they're required to do anyway?

• Like 1

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I read something (non-Eagles related but still related to the NFLPA telling players not to show up) that some players had large bonuses to show up. To my thinking, a bonus would be an incentive to do something that you don't have to. Mandatory camps are mandatory, so why pay a bonus to have them do something that they're required to do anyway?

I wonder if the league will exempt them because majority of the teams aren't doing them again

Just now, Mike030270 said:

I wonder if the league will exempt them because majority of the teams aren't doing them again

Just found this (this is just a couple of paragraphs of a larger article):

The Eagles players’ response is notable in that the team has a new coaching staff and new systems, so on-field spring work would seem to hold value, even for established vets. There also is the matter of contract workout bonuses, which might be tied to OTAs, though Spotrac.com on Sunday listed the Eagles’ workout bonus payout as 19th in the 32-team league, at $270,000.

Right tackle Lane Johnson is the top prospective bonus-earner, at $150,000. Johnson did not return texts seeking comment Sunday. Only four other Eagles were listed as having workout bonuses. They were as follows: longsnapper Rick Lovato, $50,000; defensive tackle Raequan Williams, $25,000; punter Arryn Siposs $25,000; and defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway, $20,000.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-players-union-ota-voluntary-20210418.html

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

That’s not talent.

I don't think you understand what talent is.  When a player is All-Pro, that's talent.  There isn't a better center in the league than Kelce, not a better guard in the league than Brooks.  Cox is a beast. 

12 minutes ago, Procus said:

I don't think you understand what talent is.  When a player is All-Pro, that's talent.  There isn't a better center in the league than Kelce, not a better guard in the league than Brooks.  Cox is a beast. 

How many of those players were all pro in 2020?  ZERO.  So by your own definition, that’s not talent.  

Kelce is nearly gone.  Brooks is only as good as Nate Herbig, considering that’s who our RG will eventually be.  Ditto Lane Johnson.

Cox is great, but he’s not much of a factor in the pass rush anymore...and to whatever extent he does contribute declines every single year.

Every single player you just mentioned is either old, chronically injured, or both.

Thats not talent, not even close.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

How many of those players were all pro in 2020?  ZERO.  So by your own definition, that’s not talent.  

Kelce is nearly gone.  Brooks is only as good as Nate Herbig, considering that’s who our RG will eventually be.  Ditto Lane Johnson.

Cox is great, but he’s not much of a factor in the pass rush anymore...and to whatever extent he does contribute declines every single year.

Every single player you just mentioned is either old, chronically injured, or both.

Dude - the OL was down in 2020.  Can't be All-Pro from the IR list. 

Kelce had a good year last year, but had no other starting linemen to work with for most of the year.

Brooks is the best guard in the league when healthy.

Newsflash - you can still be over 30 and be a very good player.

Stop smoking crack!

Personally, I just think NFL players in general are getting softer. There's less money for players this season and the NFL is adding a game (which will help a lot in bringing in more revenue for the players next year and beyond). But any excuse to work less for the pay they will receive is a "win" to today's athlete. I'm disappointed. IMO, our biggest problem last year was lack of preparation. Now we're headed into another season with mostly the same players that weren't prepared enough last year and with a new coaching staff and system to learn. Yay team! Team's that stick together to not practice together, lose together. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Cox numbers were actually the same or better then last year in some areas. 

You guys got this all wrong. They are all on the same page. All of them agreed not to practice. Their working as a cohesive unit!!!

21 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

You guys got this all wrong. They are all on the same page. All of them agreed not to practice. Their working as a cohesive unit!!!

You mean, "As a cohesive unit, they are not working," or, "They aren't working together."

This is going to kill Hurt's MVP run. 

His biggest area is to learn to read defenses and go through progressions in a West Coast offense. He can play catch with his WRs all he wants, but without an actual defense on the other side of the field he can't improve his greatest deficiency. 

I don't really care but ultimately I don't really get why teams are opting to not hold OTAs? I mean I thought the NFL had come up with a way of making things as safe as possible for the players? 

Am I missing something?  Vet players skip OTA's every damn year anyway, it's literally for ass kissers and rookies, this is less than a non story.

Our win loss record isn't going to be affected because JJAW didn't do a fitness check in May while the QB's did some pro day throws and the lines pushed the crap out of some sleds.

18 hours ago, wyote said:

"Yeah, hey, so we've got this voluntary program right in the middle of your vacation. You're not going to be paid, but you'll be working and getting better at your job." 

"I'm sorry, I'm in Xaxilinsafgar and the reception here is terrible. How much did you say I'm getting paid?" 

"Nothing." 

[Muffled] "Hey, kids, be quiet, this is an important call. I need to hear what the man is saying. Hey go get the guy and tell him I need more margaritas. These pitchers aren't as big as they look. Yeah, scram. No, all of you. One in each hand. Okay, so, yeah, sorry about that, I'm just spending some time here with my family. So, I didn't get to hear how much you're going to pay me to work on my vacation." 

"Nothing."

"Nothing what?" 

"Nothing dollars. No dollars." 

"Uh huh. Is this thing working? I really don't think I'm getting good reception here. I can't understand what you're saying. Let me call you back later...." 

Sure I would whine about being paid, when I get a kazillion dollars a year otherwise.

4 hours ago, kentwo said:

This is going to kill Hurt's MVP run. 

His biggest area is to learn to read defenses and go through progressions in a West Coast offense. He can play catch with his WRs all he wants, but without an actual defense on the other side of the field he can't improve his greatest deficiency. 

Not sure if serious ... | The funny, Seriously, Pop culture

Even though there is usually pressure on players to attend, I get it these are indeed "voluntary".  And it would be more of a concern if the Eagles were the only team or one of few to plan to skip these.  But it still stinks.  Training camps have gotten progressively less rigorous over the years and limitations on the amount of time they are able to engage in practice have been put in place, so I've always felt these OTAs have been pretty important in getting players ... especially rooks and vets that are new to the team ... accustomed to the schemes in which they'll be working.  Being one of the few teams with an entirely new coaching staff and therefore completely new schemes in which ALL players will need to get acclimated.  I don't know, I agree with those saying this team is going anywhere in 2021 anyway, but I grew tired of watching them on that downward trend since the '17 season and was hoping to see signs that the needle was beginning to point up, that we were heading for better days.  Not saying we still won't see that, but participating in these surely would have been a help.  

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't really care but ultimately I don't really get why teams are opting to not hold OTAs? I mean I thought the NFL had come up with a way of making things as safe as possible for the players? 

It's the same as people who sit at a table in a restaurant who have both food and booze in front of them being safe from being infected by the virus while others who only order booze are at risk ... the virus knows people at voluntary OTAs are susceptible to being infected but those at mandatory TC are not.   :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It's the same as people who sit at a table in a restaurant who has both food and booze in front of them being safe from being infected by the virus while others who only order booze are at risk ... the virus knows people at voluntary OTAs are susceptible to being infected but those at mandatory TC are not.   :P

Absolutely! In fact in the UK as long as you had a scotch egg you were safe. And if you left the pub by 10pm you were safe but if it was after that then you were in grave danger. 

• Haha 1

Funny I haven't missed a day of work since this whole crap show started. I'll bet a lot of them have been other places where they sure as hell were less protected.

• Like 4

This has nothing to do with work ethic, getting soft or COVID. This is an unexpectedly contentious issue between the NFL and the NFLPA.  Players from virtually every team have announced they're skipping phase one of the voluntary OTAS. The Eagles players are trying to stand with their NFLPA brethren.

And not every player will sit out - guys with workout bonuses will come in as will guys who will have to fight to make the roster. Phase one is only conditioning, anyway so who cares? Let the lawyers sort it out and get everyone in for Phases 2 and 3 when they start working on actual football.