Did we clone lito, sheldon and dawkins and I missed it?

eggs

We have worst dbs in football and poor slay will be trying to cover the entire field. I hope we have have some clones coming out of argentina to play this year. Otherwise, slay will need to be superslay and cover the entire field - with no LB help. 

What a disaster. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

There’s another draft being held next year

lol and Howie will probably take one 4th round CB and no linebackers next year as well. 

• Like 4

You can’t fill every hole in one offseason when you have a roster full of holes. And the draft is about building for the future, not the present. Reaching for "need” picks is how you end up drafting bad players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

lol and Howie will probably take one 4th round CB and no linebackers next year as well. 

Both Stevens and Johnson project to LB. They also drafted two last year, made a great find with Alex Singleton and signed Eric Wilson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eggs said:

We have worst dbs in football and poor slay will be trying to cover the entire field. I hope we have have some clones coming out of argentina to play this year. Otherwise, slay will need to be superslay and cover the entire field - with no LB help. 

What a disaster. 

19 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I defend Howie on a lot of things, but over the past 4 years he has made one pick on the D in the 3rd round proper and used no first or second rounders.

In fact Barnett and Jones have been our only picks in the first or second over the past six  years.

That’s not good enough. We have pretty much zero young talent on the D. It’s not enough to keep saying "Howie will address it next year”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

That’s not good enough. We have pretty much zero young talent on the D. It’s not enough to keep saying "Howie will address it next year”

I agree with you here but I think this year his actions were defendable. 

Firstly they've just hired a new offensive HC and last year their offense was a mess. They probably wanted to give him support and the way the board fell in the first they did what they had to do. 

They invested more on defense in this draft than offense but i agree there were no premium picks. But look it is up to the coaching staff to develop players. 

Now I agree they need to do more on defense and I hope next year they will (though I doubt it). But if they stuck to their board then I can understand to an extent why they went the way they did. 

The one pick I don't like is the Dickerson one. To me that's where they should have gone defense. 

29 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Both Stevens and Johnson project to LB. They also drafted two last year, made a great find with Alex Singleton and signed Eric Wilson. 

6th round tweeners this year, 6th rounder and a 3rd round reach project last year.  I didn't mean literally take none...I meant we'll never actually draft a highly touted, stud LB in the 1st or 2nd round. 

5 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

6th round tweeners this year, 6th rounder and a 3rd round reach project last year.  I didn't mean literally take none...I meant we'll never actually draft a highly touted, stud LB in the 1st or 2nd round. 

No we won't draft a LB in the first two rounds.  It's not a premium position.  You don't need to draft them that high.  If we were good at drafting we'd have good LBs taken in rounds 3-5, but we're not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with you here but I think this year his actions were defendable. 

Firstly they've just hired a new offensive HC and last year their offense was a mess. They probably wanted to give him support and the way the board fell in the first they did what they had to do. 

They invested more on defense in this draft than offense but i agree there were no premium picks. But look it is up to the coaching staff to develop players. 

Now I agree they need to do more on defense and I hope next year they will (though I doubt it). But if they stuck to their board then I can understand to an extent why they went the way they did. 

The one pick I don't like is the Dickerson one. To me that's where they should have gone defense. 

We are not too far away from each other. I agree Dickerson was the problem.

The O was a mess last year, but if you look at the talent we have, it’s actually pretty good. Basically Wentz went to pieces and Pederson didn’t help with the play calling.

We have two top 10 TEs, a very good running back. WR we have a lot of young players with potential and added a true number 1 (hopefully) in Smith.

The O- Line that is actually pretty deep. I agree it needed to be addressed but we could have easily brought in a couple of good players in the 4th and 5th (particularly because we have such a good O-Line coach)

On one hand Howie is saying we can’t continue to ignore an injury history. Then he contradicts himself by saying this guy would have been a first rounder if not for the injuries. Well maybe but the injuries are extensive and real.

There was a lot of defensive talent on the board at 37. He should have gone D - no question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The O was a mess last year, but if you look at the talent we have, it’s actually pretty good. Basically Wentz went to pieces and Pederson didn’t help with the play calling.

I don't agree but then adding Smith and the new RB I do like the potential now of the O. I mean Smith can be a legit #1. That takes the pressure off of Reagor who could now be what he was drafted to be (a take the top off WR with after the catch ability). 

Sanders is really good if he can stay healthy. The new RB addition could be a weapon. And then if the OL stays relatively healthy then there's a chance. 

But this defense is a concern. I mean there are some good players of course but there's areas for concern. The secondary is a mess if I'm being honest and I don't know what to expect there. 

But look if they didn't see the value when they were on the board and they stuck to their board then I'm OK with that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't agree but then adding Smith and the new RB I do like the potential now of the O. I mean Smith can be a legit #1. That takes the pressure off of Reagor who could now be what he was drafted to be (a take the top off WR with after the catch ability). 

Sanders is really good if he can stay healthy. The new RB addition could be a weapon. And then if the OL stays relatively healthy then there's a chance. 

But this defense is a concern. I mean there are some good players of course but there's areas for concern. The secondary is a mess if I'm being honest and I don't know what to expect there. 

But look if they didn't see the value when they were on the board and they stuck to their board then I'm OK with that.

I loved the RB pick - really good value at that point.

But it’s not like anyone was saying the Eagles got a steal with Dickerson. If say Vera-Tucker dropped that would have been different.

I just think it was absolutely the wrong pick. What if next year Hurts doesn’t work out? Then the Eagles probably need to use their firsts on a new QB. What if next year Howie has more OL or WR at the top of his board? At what point do you say we really need to address the D here and it’s not okay to go into a season with Avante Maddox as your CB2 and nothing behind him.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

But it’s not like anyone was saying the Eagles got a steal with Dickerson. If say Vera-Tucker dropped that would have been different.

I just think it was absolutely the wrong pick. What if next year Hurts doesn’t work out? Then the Eagles probably need to use their firsts on a new QB. What if next year Howie has more OL or WR at the top of his board? At what point do you say we really need to address the D here and it’s not okay to go into a season with Avante Maddox as your CB2 and nothing behind him.

I disagree about Dickerson. If he stays healthy then he's a steal. But at this point that's a big if and it's a big red flag. 

My issue is that the Eagles seem to do this with their second round picks. Last year they used a second round pick on a back up QB. 4 years ago it was on an injured Jones. 3 years ago it was on a back up TE. The second round pick is supposed to be a really good player and a day one starter. The Eagles seem to miss that most of the time. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree about Dickerson. If he stays healthy then he's a steal. But at this point that's a big if and it's a big red flag. 

My issue is that the Eagles seem to do this with their second round picks. Last year they used a second round pick on a back up QB. 4 years ago it was on an injured Jones. 3 years ago it was on a back up TE. The second round pick is supposed to be a really good player and a day one starter. The Eagles seem to miss that most of the time. 

I went to the old site tonight PE dot com. And i watched the video's of the press conferences today with Howie and others.  It was striking to me how much they spoke of a player's personality being a determining factor in us selecting him.  Appreciating character is one thing.  Ranking it along side of and equal to talent is another.  They could have traded down and still gotten the o lineman in the 2nd.  The kid has had massive injury problems.  Not sure how they think he can survive the rigors of a 17 game NFL schedule.  We'll see...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Speaking about 2nd round picks, can’t forget the best one in recent years where they took a super talented WR, practically AJ jumpball 2.0 and passed on some bum who is playing in Seattle now - all he did was look like a LB in that photo with his shirt off and run real fast! Good times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Speaking about 2nd round picks, can’t forget the best one in recent years where they took a super talented WR, practically AJ jumpball 2.0 and passed on some bum who is playing in Seattle now - all he did was look like a LB in that photo with his shirt off and run real fast! Good times

From what I understand Metcalf wasn’t on their draft board, the medical staff didn’t give him a passing grade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

If Hurts doesn’t work out, we will be in a position to grab a QB without having to move up most likely. Ideally, Hurts works out and we get Derek Stingley next year in R1. 

• Like 2

Secondary is a mess, mostly, but I don't mind the draft at all. As of now, we have a lot of youth on the offensive side of the ball, both on the line and at the skill positions. Hurts actually becoming something would be great. 

We just drafted a ton for the front 7, especially the DL. Obviously they won't all pan out, but games are won in the trenches. 

I would bet (unless Hurts totally flops and they take a QB early) that they may take a big time DE next year and dump a lot of their picks into the secondary.

We're a bad football team, but we have the bones to have a nice rebuild if we don't completely botch it.

8 hours ago, weko said:

No we won't draft a LB in the first two rounds.  It's not a premium position.  You don't need to draft them that high.  If we were good at drafting we'd have good LBs taken in rounds 3-5, but we're not.

It may not be a "premium" position, but it's still important and sometimes there are really good LB prospects that would be worth a high pick.  Why do you think other teams do it?  6 LBs drafted in the first two rounds this year, 6 last year.  Are those teams idiots?  Or are we the idiots for always having slow, nonathletic LBs that get burnt in coverage, can't hit and can't tackle? 

I mean hell, I'm not saying do it every draft.  How about once every few years instead of just going to the free agency bargain bin or 6th round of the draft and expecting that to work out?  I could almost understand if we still had the secondary mentioned in the thread title.  A defense will almost always have one weak position, so if we had a monster D-line and secondary you could overlook being weak at LB. 

But Howie has the audacity to not only make the LB position an afterthought, he also doesn't seem to care much about the secondary either.  We haven't used a legitimate Day 1 or Day 2 pick on an LB or DB since 2017.  That's 4 drafts ago bud.  Unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

It may not be a "premium" position, but it's still important and sometimes there are really good LB prospects that would be worth a high pick.  Why do you think other teams do it?  6 LBs drafted in the first two rounds this year, 6 last year.  Are those teams idiots?  Or are we the idiots for always having slow, nonathletic LBs that get burnt in coverage, can't hit and can't tackle? 

I mean hell, I'm not saying do it every draft.  How about once every few years instead of just going to the free agency bargain bin or 6th round of the draft and expecting that to work out?  I could almost understand if we still had the secondary mentioned in the thread title.  A defense will almost always have one weak position, so if we had a monster D-line and secondary you could overlook being weak at LB. 

But Howie has the audacity to not only make the LB position an afterthought, he also doesn't seem to care much about the secondary either.  We haven't used a legitimate Day 1 or Day 2 pick on an LB or DB since 2017.  That's 4 drafts ago bud.  Unacceptable. 

The problem has been our spectacular failure at evaluating players.  We have been one of the worst drafting teams in the league.  So we constantly need help at the premium positions that determine who wins games, ie. QB, LT, CB/DE, RT, DT.  Take away our 3 vets on the O line and 2 on the D line and a 31 year old Slay, and we have next to no talent on the team.  We seem to have done better this draft.  If so we'll have picks for LB going forward.  

12 hours ago, Outlaw said:

And what’s funny is that you think that’s sufficient 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUEagle said:

And what’s funny is that you think that’s sufficient 

Nope, just better than they were last year. Just like next season I expect to be better than this season. Eagles philosophy towards LBers has never waivered. Don’t know why people expect it to change. Wilson/Singleton/Edwards is far better than Gerry/Singleton/Edwards. 

13 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

There’s another draft being held next year

Exactly.  And while im almost always wrong,  i think we go heavy heavy heavy on secondary and with the pics we have in out pocket already next year, we just might clean up by getting a stud S AND. A shut down CB. 

Im excited.  We wont beat teams like the rams next year.  Aint gunna happen. So i just want to see this young skilled position group on offense develope chemistry. 

defense is gunna suck next year and give up a lot of points. I have no illusions otherwise 

• Like 1

For this season, we only really need a #2 corner. Assuming Rodney McLeod is ready:

S - McLeod

S - Harris

CB1 - Slay

CB 2 - ???

NIckel CB - Maddox 

Avonte Maddox has shown he can be a good slot corner, but he’s clearly out of place on the outside. I think we’ll eventually pick up another CB either in FA or in a trade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

That's because Howie keeps drafting stiffs at the important positions and has to keep drafting them 

• Like 2