Did we clone lito, sheldon and dawkins and I missed it?

eggs

16 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Both Stevens and Johnson project to LB. They also drafted two last year, made a great find with Alex Singleton and signed Eric Wilson. 

Yeah I am much more concerned about the secondary than I am LB.  I think Harris will be a good player for us but he is only signed for 2021.  Hoping if he does play well and fits in nicely they can extend him.  McLeod is likely in his last year here.  Maybe Wallace is a replacement.  Other than Slay we have no one (other than STers) at outside corner.  Maddox should either be nickel or moved to safety.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I am much more concerned about the secondary than I am LB.  I think Harris will be a good player for us but he is only signed for 2021.  Hoping I’d be does play well and fits in nicely they can extend him.  McLeod is likely in his last year here.  Maybe Wallace is a replacement.  Other than Slay we have no one (other than STers) at outside corner.  Maddox should either be nickel or moved to safety.  

The biggest concern at this point is who starts week one alongside Harris? Oh and of course who plays opposite Slay.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The biggest concern at this point is who starts week one alongside Harris? Oh and of course who plays opposite Slay.

I expect another FA at CB2 unless McPherson balls out. With Harris it’ll be Wallace or Jacoby Stevens. 

Just now, Outlaw said:

I expect another FA at CB2 unless McPherson balls out. With Harris it’ll be Wallace or Jacoby Stevens. 

I mean Wallace with Stevens is a worry right? I mean if Stevens beats out Wallace then that's a real concern. 

Howie all but directly said they'll make a move at CB. They have to. I think Stevens is playing LB.  We signed both Harris & Adams at S.  Adams isn't a good starter but he's passable (barely). 

15 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I loved the RB pick - really good value at that point.

But it’s not like anyone was saying the Eagles got a steal with Dickerson. If say Vera-Tucker dropped that would have been different.

I just think it was absolutely the wrong pick. What if next year Hurts doesn’t work out? Then the Eagles probably need to use their firsts on a new QB. What if next year Howie has more OL or WR at the top of his board? At what point do you say we really need to address the D here and it’s not okay to go into a season with Avante Maddox as your CB2 and nothing behind him.

That’s how I feel. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I imagine McLeod is ready to go and starts opposite Harris.  

Just now, time2rock said:

I imagine McLeod is ready to go and starts opposite Harris.  

I don't think so... He suffered a pretty major injury late in the season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Howie all but directly said they'll make a move at CB. They have to. I think Stevens is playing LB.  We signed both Harris & Adams at S.  Adams isn't a good starter but he's passable (barely). 

Completely forgot about Adams. Will be him and Wallace. Stevens does project more as a LB. 

4 minutes ago, eggs said:

That’s how I feel. 

If Hurts doesn’t work out, then we are gonna be towards the top of the draft anyway. 

I agree we haven't spent enough premium picks on defense through the years and I agree that the risk of Dickerson is very high.  But beyond that it comes to hitting on the picks.  If he hits on 3 or 4 of these picks this year then that reduces your draft needs next year.  If they only hit on 1-2 then Howie shouldn't be making the picks again next year (I know).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I agree we haven't spent enough premium picks on defense through the years and I agree that the risk of Dickerson is very high.  But beyond that it comes to hitting on the picks.  If he hits on 3 or 4 of these picks this year then that reduces your draft needs next year.  If they only hit on 1-2 then Howie shouldn't be making the picks again next year (I know).

Agreed. I mean look with Dickerson there's a real upside there no doubt. But there's such a risk that it doesn't work out because of those injuries. 

15 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I think he hits on DeVonta, Milton Williams, Gainwell, and I like Zech McPherson. The round 6 and 7 guys, if any of them pans out it’s a huge plus. And Landon of course is all about his health. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think he hits on DeVonta, Milton Williams, Gainwell, and I like Zech McPherson. The round 6 and 7 guys, if any of them pans out it’s a huge plus. And Landon of course is all about his health. 

I think it's sneaky important to hit on WIlliams or a late DL. Can't keep butchering these 3rd rd picks. Have to hit on them sometimes and it's way beyond that time

22 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I think it's sneaky important to hit on WIlliams or a late DL. Can't keep butchering these 3rd rd picks. Have to hit on them sometimes and it's way beyond that time

I like him a lot. He’s freaky athletic. Only concern is small school transition. And I’m betting between Tuipulotu, Stevens, Jackson and Johnson that at least one of them turns out to be a player. I also really like the Jamie Newman and Trevon Grimes UDFA pickups. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weko said:

The problem has been our spectacular failure at evaluating players.  We have been one of the worst drafting teams in the league.  So we constantly need help at the premium positions that determine who wins games, ie. QB, LT, CB/DE, RT, DT.  Take away our 3 vets on the O line and 2 on the D line and a 31 year old Slay, and we have next to no talent on the team.  We seem to have done better this draft.  If so we'll have picks for LB going forward.  

Yeah that's a fair point, we do always need help at the premium positions because of terrible drafting.  But it's been such an absurdly long time that we have neglected that position I think if we were stacked with talent we still wouldn't take a blue chip LB. 

9 hours ago, weko said:

So we constantly need help at the premium positions that determine who wins games, ie. QB, LT, CB/DE, RT, DT.  

That's just not at all true outside of CB.  We've probably been one of the most stable teams at QB, LT, DE, RT & DT for the past few years. 

• Like 1

Jeff and Howie believe in strong O&D line play,  all positions on offense and D line to be built through the draft, FA covers everything else on defense. 
 If they aren’t overpaying guys like Alshon and DJax, they’ll have the money to get FA’s like Malcolm Jenkins who ended up being the on the field D Coordinator and making sure everyone was in the right spot, plus making plays himself.  Hopefully next offseason they can get two Malcolms, instead of one. 

IMO, the first 3 rounds of the draft need to be starters for the upcoming season, drafting Davian Taylor in the 3rd round, a project and who knows if they even had the right people in place to teach him, especially with a guy like Schwartz who has HIS guys. Hurts in the 2nd round?  Not a starter,  Wentz was and unless Hurts is a solid starter for the Eagles, they’ll never get the value out of him that they put in. Every other team has no issues finding an old vet to come in and hold the clipboard. 

This year, they drafted a starter in Smith, a likely player in Dickerson because our O line is oft injured (Kelce retiring) and Williams, who may play DT or DE,  but again Howie believes in strong line play on both sides of the ball and if Dickerson somehow stays healthy, they got a great kid who’s likely a future Pro Bowler. 
  Next offseason when they’re way under the cap they’ll spend the money on a safety and possibly a corner. To be honest if Gannon told Lurie and Howie that he wants to play a lot of 4-2-5  they both probably jizzed because neither of them believe the position of linebacker, should even exist. 

Potentially having a high first rounder next year and two other first round picks will help.

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I am much more concerned about the secondary than I am LB.  I think Harris will be a good player for us but he is only signed for 2021.  Hoping if he does play well and fits in nicely they can extend him.  McLeod is likely in his last year here.  Maybe Wallace is a replacement.  Other than Slay we have no one (other than STers) at outside corner.  Maddox should either be nickel or moved to safety.  

Hybrid LB who can cover tight ends at Sam position, and ILB are areas of need..Opposite to Singelton..Currently we have bodies ..not proven starters. 

5 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Hybrid LB who can cover tight ends at Sam position, and ILB are areas of need..Opposite to Singelton..Currently we have bodies ..not proven starters. 

I understand skepticism about the current group but this is the season to find out what we have. One of these guys might emerge...or not.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, eggs said:

We have worst dbs in football and poor slay will be trying to cover the entire field. I hope we have have some clones coming out of argentina to play this year. Otherwise, slay will need to be superslay and cover the entire field - with no LB help. 

What a disaster. 

Howie's holding out for a CB prospect with at least 4 injuries in his college career.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I understand skepticism about the current group but this is the season to find out what we have. One of these guys might emerge...or not.

Agreed - I'm not even a huge fan of Singleton, but we have 3 players who we know can at least start in the NFL at LB (and only 2 who will play regularly) and behind them we have a relatively high pick from 2020 who they were always looking at contributing in 2021 rather than last year. It's not good in any way, but we can live with it.

Corner is a joke. We have a number 1 CB in Slay, but even Slay is ageing and started to get niggling injuries. After that? Maddox is just flat out bad on the outside. The others should all be lucky to be on a practice squad. McPherson by all accounts wasn't a bad pick in the 4th round, but 4th rounders are usually special team players and depth pieces. You don't throw them into a starting role by default.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed - I'm not even a huge fan of Singleton, but we have 3 players who we know can at least start in the NFL at LB (and only 2 who will play regularly) and behind them we have a relatively high pick from 2020 who they were always looking at contributing in 2021 rather than last year. It's not good in any way, but we can live with it.

Corner is a joke. We have a number 1 CB in Slay, but even Slay is ageing and started to get niggling injuries. After that? Maddox is just flat out bad on the outside. The others should all be lucky to be on a practice squad. McPherson by all accounts wasn't a bad pick in the 4th round, but 4th rounders are usually special team players and depth pieces. You don't throw them into a starting role by default.

Yeah CB is a mess.

At LB between Avery, Taylor, Bradley, Stevens, Johnson, Bachie and Rashad Smith and the 3 presumed starters Singleton,Wilson & Edwards you can emerge with a decent group.  That's far from guaranteed but there's a lot of 'talent' to try.  You can't even come close to saying that at CB

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah CB is a mess.

At LB between Avery, Taylor, Stevens, Johnson, Bachie and Rashad Smith and the 3 presumed starters Singleton,Wilson & Edwards you can emerge with a decent group.  That's far from guaranteed but there's a lot of 'talent' to try.  You can't even come close to saying that at CB

Don't forget Bradley within the LB group. 😁

• Like 1