Did we clone lito, sheldon and dawkins and I missed it?

eggs

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don't forget Bradley within the LB group. 😁

Yeah that was just a miss type. I was thinking of him when I started typing the list 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah that was just a miss type. I was thinking of him when I started typing the list 😀

Not that I think Bradley is going to amount to much in all honesty. 

Too bad Buddy Ryan wasn’t around. Now, that guy could draft defense even in the later rounds. 

On 5/2/2021 at 12:52 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

I defend Howie on a lot of things, but over the past 4 years he has made one pick on the D in the 3rd round proper and used no first or second rounders.

In fact Barnett and Jones have been our only picks in the first or second over the past six  years.

That’s not good enough. We have pretty much zero young talent on the D. It’s not enough to keep saying "Howie will address it next year”

But our real problem hasn't been drafting, it's been player development and coaching. 

For example, we had Press f'in Taylor trying to fix Wentz and Duce yanking the hot hand out of every game. 

Let's give the new coaching staff a chance to see what they can do. We do have some decent players in the LB room, but will they be put in a position to succeed?

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

But our real problem hasn't been drafting, it's been player development and coaching. 

Well we don't know that. I think it's probably been a mixture of the two. I mean how many draft picks have gone elsewhere and been good? Or even decent?

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

For example, we had Press f'in Taylor trying to fix Wentz and Duce yanking the hot hand out of every game. 

Let's give the new coaching staff a chance to see what they can do. We do have some decent players in the LB room, but will they be put in a position to succeed?

Is that UDFA Edwards or UDFA Singleton? 

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

Is that UDFA Edwards or UDFA Singleton? 

Who cares if they were UDFA? What was Gerry, 3rd round? And he's sooooo much better...

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well we don't know that. I think it's probably been a mixture of the two. I mean how many draft picks have gone elsewhere and been good? Or even decent?

A few, but you're right not a ton. But does that speak to their lack of talent or lack of development which could very easily=bad habits through a career?

1 minute ago, Madriver said:

A few, but you're right not a ton. But does that speak to their lack of talent or lack of development which could very easily=bad habits through a career?

I mean yeah it could be how will we ever know whether it was bad talent evaluation or bad coaching? We don't know.

20 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Who cares if they were UDFA? What was Gerry, 3rd round? And he's sooooo much better...

Gerry was a 5th rounder and was also crap. That further emphasizes how ridiculous it is that people blame coaches for 5th rounders and UDFAs for failing as starters.

Of course that doesn’t apply to the sexy WR position though. For that we gotta keep spending top draft picks year after year. Got get us a julio Jones so we can as great as the Falcons and all their great receivers are. Working out great for them not having a defense hey? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Gerry was a 5th rounder and was also crap. That further emphasizes how ridiculous it is that people blame coaches for 5th rounders and UDFAs for failing as starters.

Of course that doesn’t apply to the sexy WR position though. For that we gotta keep spending top draft picks year after year. Got get us a julio Jones so we can as great as the Falcons and all their great receivers are. Working out great for them not having a defense hey? 

I guess you could argue either way, really. If you can't put up points you can't win games. That means focus on offense.

OTOH if you have to score 35 every game just to have a chance because your defense sucks at stops, then yeah. Not good either.

I suppose they are erring on the side of offense to see what they have in Hurts in 2021 or will they have to use one of those 1st rounders on a QB next draft...

On 5/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, eggs said:

We have worst dbs in football and poor slay will be trying to cover the entire field. I hope we have have some clones coming out of argentina to play this year. Otherwise, slay will need to be superslay and cover the entire field - with no LB help. 

What a disaster. 

Who did you want?

On 5/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Madriver said:

Gerry was a 5th. What, the 5th round isn't the place to find world beating linebackers that had been playing Safety for the past 3 years of his college career? Who knew?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SB52 said:

Who did you want?

I wanted one of the Georgia CBs at the top of the second to give us a tall, quality CB across from Slay and Humphries as a reliable C at the bottom of the second, but, I love Devonta and hope Dickerson has better luck with the injuries. 

45 minutes ago, eggs said:

I wanted one of the Georgia CBs at the top of the second to give us a tall, quality CB across from Slay and Humphries as a reliable C at the bottom of the second, but, I love Devonta and hope Dickerson has better luck with the injuries. 

Both Georgia CB’s were off the board.who would you have taken with the actual selection?

I agree that Dickerson, although a great talent, was overly risky given his extensive injury history.

16 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Gerry was a 5th. What, the 5th round isn't the place to find world beating linebackers that had been playing Safety for the past 3 years of his college career? Who knew?

Exactly my point. UDFA, 5th, 3rd,,,who GAF as long as they can play in our system.

22 hours ago, Madriver said:

Exactly my point. UDFA, 5th, 3rd,,,who GAF as long as they can play in our system.

The problem is that strategy has led us to having below average LB performance year after year. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:25 AM, Road to Victory said:

Too bad Buddy Ryan wasn’t around. Now, that guy could draft defense even in the later rounds. 

That was alot easier than. That's when yoi can just go scout guys that would take someone's head off. Buddy ball would get him kicked oit of the league today.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:29 AM, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

lol and Howie will probably take one 4th round CB and no linebackers next year as well. 

Obviously he’s drafting a safety to play corner and another safety to play linebacker. 😂

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, eggs said:

Stokes and Campbell were both gone. I’m not as high as others on Samuel Jr. either. Had Campbell or Stokes or Newsome been there and we took Dickerson, THEN I would have been pissed. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 1:23 AM, Alphagrand said:

There’s another draft being held next year

And Howie will still be there f ing things up, so....

On 5/2/2021 at 1:39 AM, Outlaw said:

Both Stevens and Johnson project to LB. They also drafted two last year, made a great find with Alex Singleton and signed Eric Wilson. 

that's good..but I still want to see them draft the next Jeremiah Trotter...and you aren't going to get THOSE guys in the late rounds...offenses are going to feast on our LB and DB scrubs (as usual)....

2 minutes ago, FlyerDog@Work said:

that's good..but I still want to see them draft the Next Jeremiah Trotter...and you aren't going to get THOSE guys in the late rounds...offenses are going to feast on our LB and DB scrubs (as usual)....

Trot was a 3rd rounder. The days of the big thumper MLB are over man. It’s all about defending the pass now. Edwards is 6’1” 245, Trot was 6’1” 260. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Trot was a 3rd rounder. The days of the big thumper MLB are over man. It’s all about defending the pass now. Edwards is 6’1” 245, Trot was 6’1” 260. 

Not about SIZE...but Skill...Ray Lewis was the same size as Edwards, 6'1" - 240Lbs....we had a BIG LB a while back in Carlos Emmons, 6'5" 255..and he was brilliant in coverage....a friend of mine made a good point, in 2021...five teams drafted an LB with their first pick, including both SB teams...so this concept of devaluing LBs is not necessarily league wide...

On 5/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, FlyerDog@Work said:

Not about SIZE...but Skill...Ray Lewis was the same size as Edwards, 6'1" - 240Lbs....we had a BIG LB a while back in Carlos Emmons, 6'5" 255..and he was brilliant in coverage....a friend of mine made a good point, in 2021...five teams drafted an LB with their first pick, including both SB teams...so this concept of devaluing LBs is not necessarily league wide...

Well, the Eagles haven’t valued the position for the better part of the last 20 years, obviously. I do think the position is less valued than it used to be, however, and with good reason, because the majority of the time you’re playing with one less LB on the field these days. Obviously not every team skimps out on the position like the Eagles, but it’s true that you don’t need as much there as you used to need.