The Home Theater Thread

iladelphxx

So while the guys at the store told me this Saturday (yesterday) for my install when I purchased last weekend… including the guy who works at the store and was planning on picking up/buying my current TV once their install team dismounts and re-boxes it… turns out my actual install date is Saturday the 24th <_<

So I’m without 75” for another 2 weeks and spent my Friday night getting things disconnected and cleared out just to put it all back (with some re-arrangement) this weekend :lol: 

This morning I notice the TV planned for this Saturday is now an additional $200 off, so I go through the BB web chat price exchange to get that $200 + tax refunded.

In doing so, I notice that the Q90T, which is last years model (lacking the NeoLED tech and rechargeable remote), is advertising a $400 GC. With the new price match applied, the list price is for this is only $100 less ($500 if factoring in GC). Not sure if that's a big enough difference, but while QN90 reviews are great, there are some comments that some sets could cause some blooming issues, so I'm a bit worried about 1st year technology implementation.

I see that the Q90T as an "Excellent" condition Open Box is about $2100... so that plus the $400 GC (which I didn't think would apply, but I added TV to cart and low and behold it did!) now makes it like an $1100 price difference (plus sales tax) which was enough for me to make the purchase. Website wouldn't let me schedule an in-home delivery on an Open Box item so I will go to the store on lunch hour today and try to get that all worked out. Fingers crossed... even if I lose my install slot and preferred install guy, I think an $1100 savings is worth the switch. 

What are you driving these days that's going to fit an 85" TV box? A u-haul?

32 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

What are you driving these days that's going to fit an 85" TV box? A u-haul?

I'm up-sizing to a 75", but BB pretty much delivers any TV over 55" for free these days and I am in this new Beta Program they have, so I also get free installation benefits. 

• Like 1

So this was a wash. For some reason that specific open box item could not be delivered to home. So I would have to rent a van or something and have people help me load and unload the damn thing.

Additionally, for it being an "Open Box Excellent" condition, which always means its comes with all original cables/paperwork/etc. (aka, people take it home, pull it out the box, and immediately decide its too big or too small and bring it back to the store).. the thing was BUBBLE WRAPPED!!!

As in, no box. Just wrapped in a F-ton of bubble wrap. So now I'd have to come up with transportation where a bubble wrapped 75" glass screen is just sort of chilling over ever bump and turn?!? I asked how can an Excellent condition not have a box, and guys said "that's what we do with display TVs"... so who knows how many thousands of hours this thing had been running for. So I cancelled that with the quickness. 

I forgot I also had a 2018 (I think... maybe it was 2019?) TCL listed for sale, and a guy messaged me yesterday then came over last night and bought it.

Looks like a different guy will swing by this evening to buy the 65" Q90R... only downside there (Best But is coming Saturday) is that now he and I will have to pull the damn thing off the wall. Not the most arduous task, but 10x better when you can just let professional do the work, for free, while you sit back and chill.

But assuming no surprises happen, I'll have pocked $1,200 off two TVs in the span of 24 hours, one of which has sat in a box since November of 2020 and prior to then got turned on maybe 2-3x a month. 

Sold the 65" Q90R last night and the 55" TCL (I think 6-series) from 2018 the night before. $1,200 combined between the two. 

7 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Sold the 65" Q90R last night and the 55" TCL (I think 6-series) from 2018 the night before. $1,200 combined between the two. 

I want this rat out of this thread. 

8 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

I want this rat out of this thread. 

giphy.webp

It takes about 10 minutes to hang a screen. Bragging that someone comes and does it for you isn't really that great. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BFit said:

It takes about 10 minutes to hang a screen. Bragging that someone comes and does it for you isn't really that great. 

post video of you hanging 75" by yourself please. kthxbai

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Buy me a 75" tv and I'll post the video :lol:

17 hours ago, BFit said:

Buy me a 75" tv and I'll post the video :lol:

no deal

21 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I can hang 6".

22 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I'm sorry you have no friends there yet buddy.  If I were in Minneapolis, I would help you.

1 hour ago, The_Omega said:

I'm sorry you have no friends there yet buddy.  If I were in Minneapolis, I would help you.

I sold my previous 65" Q90R to a guy for $925 about a week ago and that took us less than 10 seconds to pull the release tabs on the mount, left the tv up and off the wall mount bracket, and get the bottom of the tv set down into the Styrofoam piece in the base of the box. Having that 2nd person you can easily rely on is the key. I drilled, leveled, and installed the mount for the 55" in my bedroom a week or so before (while on a phone call) before putting the 55" on the mount. And that was at a higher elevation with some bulky dressers in the way! The difficulty level is not the limiting factor lol. 

19 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I sold my previous 65" Q90R to a guy for $925 about a week ago and that took us less than 10 seconds to pull the release tabs on the mount, left the tv up and off the wall mount bracket, and get the bottom of the tv set down into the Styrofoam piece in the base of the box. Having that 2nd person you can easily rely on is the key. I drilled, leveled, and installed the mount for the 55" in my bedroom a week or so before (while on a phone call) before putting the 55" on the mount. And that was at a higher elevation with some bulky dressers in the way! The difficulty level is not the limiting factor lol. 

I know it. The bigger ones are more awkward (that’s what she said). My 55” I hang myself, but my 65” and 75” I get one of my boys to help with. There’s just no sense in taking any chances.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have to hang my 85 inch TV this week in the basement and I am pretty nervous to be honest. I have hung numerous 65 inchers and I will have help. Still not looking forward to doing it lol.

Don't be afraid to suck it up, swallow your pride and just take it on the chin.

5 hours ago, Boogyman said:

I have to hang my 85 inch TV this week in the basement and I am pretty nervous to be honest. I have hung numerous 65 inchers and I will have help. Still not looking forward to doing it lol.

What mount? If you don’t need to extend the tv any significant distance from the wall or angle it left/right excessively, this thing is perfect and so reliable/simple. Comes with a template to tape to the wall for proper hole drilling and verifying level, and the arms attach to the back of the TV super easily and the attach/detach from the wall bracket takes seconds 

9 hours ago, Agent23 said:

What mount? If you don’t need to extend the tv any significant distance from the wall or angle it left/right excessively, this thing is perfect and so reliable/simple. Comes with a template to tape to the wall for proper hole drilling and verifying level, and the arms attach to the back of the TV super easily and the attach/detach from the wall bracket takes seconds 

Yeah I know how to do it. It's just...big lol. I'm sure it won't be an issue. The mount I have extends away from the wall, I wanted to be able to turn the TX, the kids have a play area near the theater area and I figured if they wanted to watch a movie while playing it would be nice to be able to turn it.

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

How does the template verify level?

2 hours ago, BFit said:

How does the template verify level?

because you can place/hold the level flush with the top edge of the template, allowing you to mark/drill the holes for the anchor bolts in the correct orientation to ensure the mount itself gets installed level. Obviously you re-check the mount with the level when its up, but you don't blindly mark where the holes will be drilled and then break out the level for the first time once the mount is up there.