The Home Theater Thread

iladelphxx

7 hours ago, Agent23 said:

because you can place/hold the level flush with the top edge of the template, allowing you to mark/drill the holes for the anchor bolts in the correct orientation to ensure the mount itself gets installed level. Obviously you re-check the mount with the level when its up, but you don't blindly mark where the holes will be drilled and then break out the level for the first time once the mount is up there. 

Oh I gotchya. As long you're still double checking before you tighten it all down. I usually just hold the mount up with a level on it and trace the holes, but the templates work too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BFit said:

Oh I gotchya. As long you're still double checking before you tighten it all down. I usually just hold the mount up with a level on it and trace the holes, but the templates work too

yes, we on the same page now :lol: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you all have looked at the price of receivers lately but, like most things, they are way up.

• 6 months later...

So what are the lights you.put behind you TV that light up the wall behind it called? They change to the dominate color on the screen. My kids want them for their video game TV and I don't want to order the wrong item.

Also, do they need their own HDMI? How do they work and "know" what color to change to?

Thanks in advance.

Are all TV's now made with only two HDMI ports? I need at least 3 and if I had a 4th, I'd use it. 

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Are all TV's now made with only two HDMI ports? I need at least 3 and if I had a 4th, I'd use it. 

Only the poor people ones. I think anything 55” or larger that isn’t a budget brand/model should still have 4

4 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Only the poor people ones. I think anything 55” or larger that isn’t a budget brand/model should still have 4

I've just started looking at them and haven't dug too deeply into them yet. I was on the PX and Navy Exchange sites looking, just to see what they have, and all I saw were two port sets. 

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've just started looking at them and haven't dug too deeply into them yet. I was on the PX and Navy Exchange sites looking, just to see what they have, and all I saw were two port sets. 

In all seriousness, some locations that are intended for lesser sell price (my dad was in the military and later was a vendor delivering to a navy commissary grocery store), it’s quite possible they manufacture versions with a some hardware deductions to further reduce cost/sell price. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, Agent23 said:

In all seriousness, some locations that are intended for lesser sell price (my dad was in the military and later was a vendor delivering to a navy commissary grocery store), it’s quite possible they manufacture versions with a some hardware deductions to further reduce cost/sell price. 

In my casual searching, I found a Sony with 4 HDMI's. 65" for $699 (tax free, free delivery). Also found a Samsung with 3, 75" for $950 (again, tax free and free delivery). 

I haven't decided between a 65" and a 75" though.  There's about 12 to 15 feet between the couch and the TV. Don't want one too big for the viewing area. 

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

In my casual searching, I found a Sony with 4 HDMI's. 65" for $699 (tax free, free delivery). Also found a Samsung with 3, 75" for $950 (again, tax free and free delivery). 

I haven't decided between a 65" and a 75" though.  There's about 12 to 15 feet between the couch and the TV. Don't want one too big for the viewing area. 

The apartment I lived in before my current place was probably in a 12-15ft depth. One of those more traditional/rectangular style living rooms. My 65” was okay but my 75” I upgraded to while living there never felt too big. Now in the townhouse I bought my 75” couldn’t probably be an 95” and not be overwhelming but there’s no resale-value in even the most top of line TVs, so it makes zero sense for me to make a change. 

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

The apartment I lived in before my current place was probably in a 12-15ft depth. One of those more traditional/rectangular style living rooms. My 65” was okay but my 75” I upgraded to while living there never felt too big. Now in the townhouse I bought my 75” couldn’t probably be an 95” and not be overwhelming but there’s no resale-value in even the most top of line TVs, so it makes zero sense for me to make a change. 

Yeah, I'd like to have a 75" but I just think it may be too big for the viewing area. Right now I have a 58" and it's fine. So I know 65" would be also, so that's likely what I'll get. Now, 4k or 8k? lol Probably 4k.

Apartment website photos 

5CCB2826-AF67-43FD-9897-DADB606A3AF6.png

1F07B847-7E04-45FF-A31E-983F5C69F93F.png

B955AD0B-9E90-4285-BC78-C6D691191ADA.png

D70BA9DE-E7BF-4924-8BCB-B70F8985C254.png

11 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, I'd like to have a 75" but I just think it may be too big for the viewing area. Right now I have a 58" and it's fine. So I know 65" would be also, so that's likely what I'll get. Now, 4k or 8k? lol Probably 4k.

The 8K content is so lacking (and probably will be like the 3D tv of home theater) so I’d recommend saving the money and just sticking with the standard 4k

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Apartment website photos 

INTERVENTION REQUIRED

screen-shot-2020-08-13-at-9.42.26-am.png

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I just got out my tape measure. My upstairs family room TV is 13 feet from the couch across from it. I had a 65" when I moved in and upgraded to a 75" for that room. Both actually "fit" fine. The only reason I upgraded is my bedroom TV was 46" and my new room is a lot bigger. So we did a switcheroo there.

Anyhow, my point it the 75 is not too big for the room and the 65 is not too small IMO.

• Like 1

Samsung has OLEDs now I just saw the other day when i stopped in store, but looks like its limited to a single 55" and a single 65" set. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 10:59 AM, Agent23 said:

Samsung has OLEDs now I just saw the other day when i stopped in store, but looks like its limited to a single 55" and a single 65" set. 

What's the new tech to go for in a new tv? Are 8K's worth it?

On 6/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, Mike030270 said:

What's the new tech to go for in a new tv? Are 8K's worth it?

I still don’t see any value in 8K sets. Exponentially more expensive and nobody really makes content that utilizes it. By the time 8K content is readily available, a vastly superior tv will be manufactured at a vastly lesser price than what you’d pay for an 8K set today 

12 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I still don’t see any value in 8K sets. Exponentially more expensive and nobody really makes content that utilizes it. By the time 8K content is readily available, a vastly superior tv will be manufactured at a vastly lesser price than what you’d pay for an 8K set today 

Yeah the only reason I see to buy 8k right now is if you don't care about money and just want to tell people you have an 8k tv

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BFit said:

Yeah the only reason I see to buy 8k right now is if you don't care about money and just want to tell people you have an 8k tv

I bought a 75" Neo QLED a year ago when I was in an apartment. Now I own a townhouse that has a 24ft wide wall (that ends at a massive passthrough window into the kitchen, which is another 9ft wide and feels almost like one open space)... coupled with 9 or 9.5ft high ceiling. My 75" feels "small" now...

But I paidaround $2600 on the thing (plus tax), on sale from like $3200,  and its challenging to find anyone interested in buying a TV for its specs (and not just blindly being like "oh well I can buy a brand new 75" TV from walmart for $700")... so there's zero chance I'm going to sell it for $1000 or less and turn around and buy the identical tv (well, the 2022 model vs the 2021 model) in the 85" size which is like $5000 right now. Tho last years 2021 model (that I own) in 85" is now marked down to $2600 because the 2022s have been released. 

• 6 months later...

OLED vs. QLED vs. NanoCell... what's the difference, which is the most desirable, or is it all basically the same thing only with different names?

12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

OLED vs. QLED vs. NanoCell... what's the difference, which is the most desirable, or is it all basically the same thing only with different names?

Haven't really researched nano, but between q and o, OLED will give you deeper blacks and isn't backlit. QLED is going to be brighter, but the blacks won't be as good, it's also backlit. 

41 minutes ago, BFit said:

Haven't really researched nano, but between q and o, OLED will give you deeper blacks and isn't backlit. QLED is going to be brighter, but the blacks won't be as good, it's also backlit. 

Which would you say, in your opinion, is better?

14 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Which would you say, in your opinion, is better?

Depends where the TV is going. OLED is better, but if it's in a really bright room in direct sunlight, a good QLED might work out better. I have a QLED in my living room and I love it, but my brother has a an OLED his basement and it's great. I haven't watched a movie on his yet, but we watch the eagles games over there. 

3 hours ago, BFit said:

Depends where the TV is going. OLED is better, but if it's in a really bright room in direct sunlight, a good QLED might work out better. I have a QLED in my living room and I love it, but my brother has a an OLED his basement and it's great. I haven't watched a movie on his yet, but we watch the eagles games over there. 

Brighter may be the option that I go for. My current TV is from 2010, a Panasonic Plasma, which is still ok. But now that I'm caring for my mother, she has a hard time seeing things. So I'm looking to get a bigger TV with better picture quality.