EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Do you think that Carson would still be here, and he would have played better with the line in shambles with those guys to throw to ??

Maybe.  With those WRs and how bad the rest of the division was, maybe we are more competitive and are less likely to pull him with 4 games left.

Then the whole vibe changes if we win the division with an 8-8 record.  It would be another rinse-repeat scenario this offseason.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Maybe.  With those WRs and how bad the rest of the division was, maybe we are more competitive and are less likely to pull him with 4 games left.

Then the whole vibe changes if we win the division with an 8-8 record.  It would be another rinse-repeat scenario this offseason.

I bet you a million dollars that won't happen!

23 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I hope not

Interesting discussion in the Jalen Hurts thread, thought I would post here.

Jalen Hurts has a career average of 69.3 yards rushing per game in his starts, which would rank #1 all time.

Here is the list before he was a starter.

Wolford does not really count with his 1 game, so Hurts is rushing for more than 25 yards per game more than the #3 QB.

image.png.1d54f8eff9f03bee0084cfc129922316.png

Just now, downundermike said:

Jalen Hurts has a career average of 69.3 yards rushing per game in his starts, which would rank #1 all time.

Wolford does not really count with his 1 game, so Hurts is rushing for more than 25 yards per game more than the #3 QB.

I wish we would.have drafted Tuffy on name alone or Trippi

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Newton (MVP 2015), Vick, and Jackson (MVP 2019) have all been successful in the league. Murray looks like the MVP this year. So we are saying Hurts has a 50% chance of being successful? Thanks for the insight.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

#1 all time after 6 games. You need a bigger data set to make a valid case.

2 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Yes, he needs to regress to the mean, and needs to improve as a passer.  Do you think that will happen ?? Or is he a running QB that will not evolve as a passer ??

4 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

The data basically says he is either going to be successful or not our problem next year. It’s really just irrelevant to stress about at this point.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, he needs to regress to the mean, and needs to improve as a passer.  Do you think that will happen ?? Or is he a running QB that will not evolve as a passer ??

I don't think he looks as 1 dimensional as some. My worry is the processing thing. Can he read the D on a high level and work his progressions. If you watch a lot of other games, he doesn't look bad in comparison to many other QBs for the first two games. In the niners game, the D couldn't get them off the field. I agree that a QB cannot be successful running that much. Not because QB runs shouldn't be a threat to a D but because every play devolves to the "QB does what he wants play" -- Michael Vick is the poster player. It ruins the game plan.

I found my new absurd take, courtesy of ESP. 

Hurts not throwing intermediate or over the middle of the field is because of analytics. The Eagles, being one of the more analytical driven teams in the league, are adopting the analytics of the NBA. They are building an offense around layups and three pointers, and abandoning the mid range aspect of the game as the NBA has done. 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hurts not throwing intermediate or over the middle of the field is because of analytics. The Eagles, being one of the more analytical driven teams in the league, are adopting the analytics of the NBA. They are building an offense around layups and three pointers, and abandoning the mid range aspect of the game as the NBA has done. 

Perhaps the analytics of football might be more appropriate, ESP you nitwit.

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

I bet you a million dollars that won't happen!

44 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I hope not

I was referring to 2020.

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

...I've actually heard something like that from more than ESP.

I think Ben Solak posted something about that with Russel Wilson's pass chart from week 1. Something about the short/intermediate passes in the middle are through too much traffic with LBs/Safeties so it's deep only in the middle. Sidelines it's mostly short with a few deep and intermediate shots. 

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

More like the analytics of MLB with strikeout (more often) or HR (less often) which is ruining baseball.  And the NBA sucks.  ANALytics/numbers without context is a flawed and dangerous weapon. 

20 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

I don't think he looks as 1 dimensional as some. My worry is the processing thing. Can he read the D on a high level and work his progressions. If you watch a lot of other games, he doesn't look bad in comparison to many other QBs for the first two games. In the niners game, the D couldn't get them off the field. I agree that a QB cannot be successful running that much. Not because QB runs shouldn't be a threat to a D but because every play devolves to the "QB does what he wants play" -- Michael Vick is the poster player. It ruins the game plan.

Also the reason the Ravens have been pushing Lamar Jackson to become a better pocket QB. It benefits everyone if he develops more as a passer

19 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

...I've actually heard something like that from more than ESP.

I think Ben Solak posted something about that with Russel Wilson's pass chart from week 1. Something about the short/intermediate passes in the middle are through too much traffic with LBs/Safeties so it's deep only in the middle. Sidelines it's mostly short with a few deep and intermediate shots. 

I disagree with that but that is a much more sane way of viewing it as opposed to absolutely no middle, either short right or bombs down the sidelines. I think Wilson is an outlier QB who can somehow make that work, but it's not something that the leagues shifting to. 

Kermit's breakdown of Dickerson's game.  Wasn't as bad as I thought he was and I'll give him a pass for being thrown in after just being activated and such.  Honestly looks no worse than some of the games Seumalo had in his first games.  The best thing I saw on the film was the tight end screen to Goedert.  He moved well, finished his block and then he got rolled up on and popped right back up.  For a guy with his injuries, it's nice to see him be able to get up right away.  Small but important. 

What I want to see moving forward are some of the traits that made him a 1st round prospect that Howie couldn't pass up on in the 2nd.  I want to see this nasty streak we heard about, an aggressive offensive lineman who finishes every block through the whistle.  I want to see him use his 6-6 330 lb frame and man handle opposing players.  He needs to stand out on film, not just get it done.  If he truly had a 1st round grade, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't expect that.  

40 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

😂

The most "efficient" throw in the NFL is in the middle of the field. 

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

😂

The most "efficient" throw in the NFL is in the middle of the field. 

The most efficient throw is where the defense ain't.

Depends on the team you're playing each week, if they play zone but have fast LBs with cover skills, they can take away the seam pass and crossing routes. But it's rare you have LBs who can do that and also be effective against the inside run. Though the Eagles could use a power back to punish undersized LBs and safeties.

If they have CBs who can play man, they leave the outside running lanes open for Hurts, I have no problem with his running if he's getting 8 yards a touch without getting hit.

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think there's an arm strength reason.  I think it has to do with what has been called and Hurts' preference.  

It will be interesting to watch as the season unfolds.   All I know is that if you cut the field into 9 pieces...  

Deep Left         =     Deep Middle          =       Deep Right
Intermediate Left = Intermediate Middle =   Intermediate Right
      Short Left        =.     Short Middle.        =       Short Right

And his throws are almost all in the Short Left, Short Right and Intermediate Right pieces... this will turn into a very long season.  The entire field needs to be threatened, not heavily used, but certainly threatened.   At the current rate of things, we could be seeing a ton of single high safety, shaded to the right side of the field with an 8 man box almost all the time.  That will make running harder, and they will be jamming up on those WR screens hard.   And the middle LB would have almost no pass defense responsibilities.  

Wasn't the pass to Smith deep middle? Thrown late but nice 50 yard spiral.

If you have a single high safety, you're not throwing deep middle very often.

If teams put 8 in the box and focus on the run, then play action allows TEs to get behind the LBs into open space.

Let's wait a few games before we jump to conclusions?

Archived