DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

1 hour ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Did he ever match up w Stingley Jr? I like him a lot in next yrs draft

I think the appropriate videos have been queued lol. Dude's one of the best WRs to come out of Tuscaloosa since Julio, and his college tape is without question as flawless a showing by a WR as there has been from that school.

If there's one thing that you can dependably rely on in projecting a college prospect, it's production. Not just production, but production against top competition. As draft-eligible WRs go, Smith is as sure a #1 type WR, in my eyes l, as I can see in this year's crop.

• Like 1

Are the Eagles shot at Chase or Smith at #6, only possible with 3 QB selected in top 5? What other legitimate prospects are top 5 worthy?

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

Are the Eagles shot at Chase or Smith at #6, only possible with 3 QB selected in top 5? What other legitimate prospects are top 5 worthy?

Sewell most definitely.  Parsons most likely too.  Surtain possibly.

19 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

There are six blue-chippers that consensus is building around.

Lawrence

Fields

Chase

Sewell

Parsons

Smith.

Maybe a 3rd QB can sneak in the top 6, but as now this is where smart money is going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I'm pretty sure the Bengals will take Sewell, if Miami doesn't take him.  The Bengals just took Higgins who appears to be really solid, so I don't know if they would jump on WR again in Round 1.  They might want Parsons, too. The Bengals' defense isn't great.  

WR will be a need for them though. Green is trending downward and probably gone.

9 minutes ago, judunno said:

WR will be a need for them though. Green is trending downward and probably gone.

True, but a duo of Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd is decent enough for them to wait until Round 2 or 3 for another WR. We don't even have anyone close Higgins or Boyd on the roster when you look at our young WRs. Of course we have DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey for now, but it would be foolish to rely on either as a key contributor going forward due to age and injury risk. 

The Bengals invested in the interior OL in recent years, but can use some serious help at OT.

2 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

True, but a duo of Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd is decent enough for them to wait until Round 2 or 3 for another WR. We don't even have anyone close Higgins or Boyd on the roster when you look at our young WRs. Of course we have DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey for now, but it would be foolish to rely on either as a key contributor going forward due to age and injury risk. 

The Bengals invested in the interior OL in recent years, but can use some serious help at OT.

I'd be surprised if Chase is there and they pass on him given who their QB is.

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

I'd be surprised if Chase is there and they pass on him given who their QB is.

I think it's 50/50. Smart move is protecting the QB with a franchise LT, but this is the Bengals we are talking about and they could certainly create a splash with a WR trio of Chase/Higgins/Boyd while Joe Burrow still runs for his life.

1 minute ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think it's 50/50. Smart move is protecting the QB with a franchise LT, but this is the Bengals we are talking about and they could certainly create a splash with a WR trio of Chase/Higgins/Boyd while Joe Burrow still runs for his life.

They'll go with sexy. I wouldn't be upset with that and some how we land a franchise LT 🙂

1 minute ago, judunno said:

They'll go with sexy. I wouldn't be upset with that and some how we land a franchise LT 🙂

I'd be mildly upset in terms of the OL logjam it would create but can't hate going BPA there with Sewell. Just would need to figure out if Mailata or Dillard can be the RT of the future behind Lane Johhson or if one of those two need to be traded?

1 minute ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'd be mildly upset in terms of the OL logjam it would create but can't hate going BPA there with Sewell. Just would need to figure out if Mailata or Dillard can be the RT of the future behind Lane Johhson or if one of those two need to be traded?

What log jam? Someone will certainly get hurt next year. Probably even before the season the way our guys have been going down.

not saying it is right but I think Smith goes ahead of Chase.

Smith has more body of work behind him. Chase literally had one good year. It was a great year but he has been out of football for a year. Interested to see how this shakes out.

I would be happy with either of them.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, D-Shiznit said:

There are six blue-chippers that consensus is building around.

Lawrence

Fields

Chase

Sewell

Parsons

Smith.

Maybe a 3rd QB can sneak in the top 6, but as now this is where smart money is going.

I think Atlanta goes QB. So if Fields and Lawrence are both off the board, they could go Wilson. 

Is Howie hoping only 1 of the 2 tops WRs are on the board so if they select them no one can come back and say they passed on the other? Lol only for Waddle to be the best of all of them

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Is Howie hoping only 1 of the 2 tops WRs are on the board so if they select them no one can come back and say they passed on the other? Lol only for Waddle to be the best of all of them

Howie could very well just take Waddle at 6 regardless of what happens with the other 2 guys to "add more speed" to the offense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Howie could very well just take Waddle at 6 regardless of what happens with the other 2 guys to "add more speed" to the offense.

He's the smartest man in the room let's not forget. 

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Smith's build reminds me of Pinkston. It's a concern.

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Smith's build reminds me of Pinkston. It's a concern.

Only Pinkston was 6-2, 170 pounds.. He looked like a pencil...

2 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Only Pinkston was 6-2, 170 pounds.. He looked like a pencil...

Smith is 6'1" and 174. Pretty close.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Smith is 6'1" and 174. Pretty close.

Considering the fact that Jaylen Waddle is 5'10 and 183 lbs, I can definitely see why people are somewhat concerned with Smith's weight.

But are weight concerns enough to overlook his productivity at Alabama these past few years and skillset that draws player comparisons to HoF WR Marvin Harrison?

Waddle has similar size and speed to Tyreek Hill (5'10 and 185 lbs) and if last year's draft is any indicator, he could go earlier than people expect. I can see Howie thinking of pairing Waddle with Reagor like how we paired DeSean Jackson with Jeremy Maclin?

I would prefer Smith or Chase, but I can see Waddle being on our radar.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Considering the fact that Jaylen Waddle is 5'10 and 183 lbs, I can definitely see why people are somewhat concerned with Smith's weight.

But are weight concerns enough to overlook his productivity at Alabama these past few years and skillset that draws player comparisons to HoF WR Marvin Harrison?

Waddle has similar size and speed to Tyreek Hill (5'10 and 185 lbs) and if last year's draft is any indicator, he could go earlier than people expect. I can see Howie thinking of pairing Waddle with Reagor like how we paired DeSean Jackson with Jeremy Maclin?

I would prefer Smith or Chase, but I can see Waddle being on our radar.

Taking Waddle over Chase (or even Smith) would be the next in the "Reagor over Jefferson" or "JJAW over Metcalf' series (that dates back to "LJ Smith over Witten").

If Chase is sitting there when pick 6 comes up and we pass on him for Waddle, this place will go ballistic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Taking Waddle over Chase (or even Smith) would be the next in the "Reagor over Jefferson" or "JJAW over Metcalf' series (that dates back to "LJ Smith over Witten").

If Chase is sitting there when pick 6 comes up and we pass on him for Waddle, this place will go ballistic.

Plus they don't need a deep threat guy. Well they may do but they brought Reagor in for that and Watkins flashed a little. They need a reliable receiver for the QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I am a Waddle guy but I would quit if that happened. Chase and Smith are on another level. Waddle is a nice thought if you are picking in the teens.

• Like 1