DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

On 1/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, Outlaw said:

I see the top 5 going like this:

1. Lawrence- JAX

2. Fields- NYJ

3. DeVonta- MIA

4. Wilson- ATL

5. Sewell- CIN

That leaves Chase as BPA in my opinion.  Of course the Jets could go Sewell or Smith if they stick with Darnold for their new coach, and that throws my whole projection off.

If that's how it winds up going, I hope we trip over ourselves to run up to the podium and take Micah Parsons. 

1 hour ago, hukdonfoniks said:

If that's how it winds up going, I hope we trip over ourselves to run up to the podium and take Micah Parsons. 

That ain't happening.  

17 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Yeah... waste a 6th on the least important non-special teams position there is. No. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Yeah... waste a 6th on the least important non-special teams position there is. No. 

Hard to know what priority LB will be with a new defensive coordinator, staff, and scheme coming to Philly.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

Hard to know what priority LB will be with a new defensive coordinator, staff, and scheme coming to Philly.  

I’m just talking in general. It can be argued that the linebackers are the bottom of the "importance” list for the NFL in general. OLine, DLine, and QB obviously at the top. Next tier is WR/TE and secondary. Last tier RB and linebackers. 

• Like 2

I’d much rather try and go the LB route in 2nd round, there should most likely be a couple good players there

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I’d much rather try and go the LB route in 2nd round, there should most likely be a couple good players there

I’d rather go CB on the second if there is someone on the board that makes sense on that spot. My ideal draft is Chase (if he’s gone then Smith) at #6, then Asante Samuel Jr in the second. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I’d rather CB round 2 but if we went Chase then Moses I wouldn’t be upset. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nipples said:

I’d rather go CB on the second if there is someone on the board that makes sense on that spot. My ideal draft is Chase (if he’s gone then Smith) at #6, then Asante Samuel Jr in the second. 

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Sorry I’m not meaning that I want LB in 2nd, I’d prefer a CB in 2nd also if we go with Chase or Smith or basically not CB in first round. But if they do address LB in 2nd I’m ok with it because the value should match the need. LB isn’t as high on my priority list because I want to see how Davion Taylor & Shaun Bradley progress, I also like TJ Edwards. But most importantly I think Alex Singleton deserves a starting LB spot next year. 

20 hours ago, Outlaw said:

IIRC Moses missed all of 2019 with a torn ACL.  Did he bounce back OK this past season?  

17 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Sorry I’m not meaning that I want LB in 2nd, I’d prefer a CB in 2nd also if we go with Chase or Smith or basically not CB in first round. But if they do address LB in 2nd I’m ok with it because the value should match the need. LB isn’t as high on my priority list because I want to see how Davion Taylor & Shaun Bradley progress, I also like TJ Edwards. But most importantly I think Alex Singleton deserves a starting LB spot next year. 

I agree on Singleton and Taylor has a high ceiling but he’s gonna be a project still this season. I like Edwards but he’s more of a steady Eddie not a playmaker. 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

IIRC Moses missed all of 2019 with a torn ACL.  Did he bounce back OK this past season?  

Moses 2020

On 1/16/2021 at 3:35 AM, nipples said:

I’m just talking in general. It can be argued that the linebackers are the bottom of the "importance” list for the NFL in general. OLine, DLine, and QB obviously at the top. Next tier is WR/TE and secondary. Last tier RB and linebackers. 

Generally yes, I agree. But stud LB play can change defences. Like what Luke Kuechley did for Panthers or Willis for 49ers after being drafted high. If they are absolutely convinced Parsons is that level, can’t miss - get him. Otherwise I’d rather they pick a more important position.

50 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Generally yes, I agree. But stud LB play can change defences. Like what Luke Kuechley did for Panthers or Willis for 49ers after being drafted high. If they are absolutely convinced Parsons is that level, can’t miss - get him. Otherwise I’d rather they pick a more important position.

I’m just opposed to taking two positions in the top 10: RB and LB. Those positions IMO are easier to fill later on. 

• Like 1

When people start throwing around terms like "generational" to describe a prospect, teams should consider moving  conventional wisdom aside. Luke Kuechly, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher --- two of them were top -10 picks and Lewis, knowing what we know now, obviously would have been. The impact they had on their teams was huge.

A play-making 3-down LB that isn't a liability in coverage, that can also rush the passer is a fit in every defensive scheme. It can be the difference between having a top10-15 defense and having the #1 defense. 

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

When people start throwing around terms like "generational" to describe a prospect, teams should consider moving  conventional wisdom aside. Luke Kuechly, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher --- two of them were top -10 picks and Lewis, knowing what we know now, obviously would have been. The impact they had on their teams was huge.

A play-making 3-down LB that isn't a liability in coverage, that can also rush the passer is a fit in every defensive scheme. It can be the difference between having a top10-15 defense and having the #1 defense. 

Funny the most recent example you’ve given was drafted 8 years ago. Tell me who the great game changing linebackers today are.  

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Funny the most recent example you’ve given was drafted 8 years ago. Tell me who the great game changing linebackers today are.  

Again, people are using the word "generational" to describe him. Today, Wagner is still that type of player (game changing). D. Leonard is in the same mold, but younger. I'm not sure why it matters when (how long ago) a player was drafted. If the guy is going to be a perennial All-Pro during his career and end up in the HOF when his career is over, I doubt using a top-ten pick on him can be considered a waste. 

45 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Again, people are using the word "generational" to describe him. Today, Wagner is still that type of player (game changing). D. Leonard is in the same mold, but younger. I'm not sure why it matters when (how long ago) a player was drafted. If the guy is going to be a perennial All-Pro during his career and end up in the HOF when his career is over, I doubt using a top-ten pick on him can be considered a waste. 

Just want to note the two examples you just gave for linebackers were not 1st round picks let alone top ten. 😉

10 minutes ago, proveagle said:

Just want to note the two examples you just gave for linebackers were not 1st round picks let alone top ten. 😉

Yeah. I was answering a specific question. Nobody would let Wagner or Leonard slip out of the top ten in any draft if they knew they would turn out like they have. Earlier, I listed Urlacher and Kuechly as top -10 examples that did pan out. Sadly for Kuechly, concussions were  devastating and he had to leave football way too early. 

7 hours ago, nipples said:

Just looking at guys drafted in top 10 

-Khalil Mack, nothing needs explained here.
-Devin White put on a showing against New Orleans and I would say was the biggest factor in Tampa Bay winning that game. 

-Bradley Chubb had a great rookie season but was hurt this year.
-Josh Allen was a productive rookie, not sure how 2020 went for him. 

-Leonard Floyd is a bust

-Roquan Smith is a stud

-Devin Bush is a rising star in the league, got hurt with ACL though. Not sure how he bounces back

-Isaiah Simmons didn’t have much of an impact this year, but I remember he made some big plays against Seattle. 

But guys like Leonard, Warner, Wagner are better than all these guys minus Mack. So yeah, don’t go LB in 2nd round. It’s still a valuable position that can have big impacts in a game, but I don’t want them going LB in top 10 given Parsons has character concerns. 

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Just looking at guys drafted in top 10 

-Khalil Mack, nothing needs explained here.
-Devin White put on a showing against New Orleans and I would say was the biggest factor in Tampa Bay winning that game. 

-Bradley Chubb had a great rookie season but was hurt this year.
-Josh Allen was a productive rookie, not sure how 2020 went for him. 

-Leonard Floyd is a bust

-Roquan Smith is a stud

-Devin Bush is a rising star in the league, got hurt with ACL though. Not sure how he bounces back

-Isaiah Simmons didn’t have much of an impact this year, but I remember he made some big plays against Seattle. 

But guys like Leonard, Warner, Wagner are better than all these guys minus Mack. So yeah, don’t go LB in 2nd round. It’s still a valuable position that can have big impacts in a game, but I don’t want them going LB in top 10 given Parsons has character concerns. 

Mack isn’t really a LB, more an Edge Rusher. My point is more so that the 4-3 LB is not nearly what it used to be. With the changes in the game, defensive success is primarily based on the defensive line and secondary. Even those names you mentioned... yeah good players but not household names. It used to be that linebackers were much more important and at any given time you’d have a handful of guys that are well known among even the casual fan. You just don’t see that anymore. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

And that’s a different discussion. I hate the word "generational” when describing a prospect. You hear it way too often. By definition, you can’t have multiple players at the same position that you deem a "generational” talent. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, nipples said:

And that’s a different discussion. I hate the word "generational” when describing a prospect. You hear it way too often. By definition, you can’t have multiple players at the same position that you deem a "generational” talent. 

I agree. Reggie White was a generational talent in that everyone who saw him play will never again see his equal among DE's. They will die before another comes along.

Smith has everything you want in a WR prospect except the body mass to suggest he will survive the physicality at the pro level. It's his only drawback. If he were 195 -205 lbs., you could pick him without a care in the world. As it is, at 175 lbs., I worry for him. He has a Todd Pinkston build and that's a potentially a big problem.