Devonta is special

Uscg-green

We've had such poor WR play that a WR getting open and making catches is now "special."   :lol:  It's like Goedert getting YAC and fighting for a 1st down we throw a parade because Ertz can't do that.

I did like seeing him take some good hits so far this year and not shy away from contact.  Everyone knew he was a solid WR prospect and had the accolades from college, the issue was his size and durability.  Only 4 games in, lots more to see and evaluate.  But happy with him so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's like Goedert getting YAC and fighting for a 1st down we throw a parade because Ertz can't do that.

Yo, Ertz has been getting Yac the last few games! Leave him alone!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

He's the best receiver we have had in years already. And he's only four games into his career. 

Ive been disappointed with the contact that the refs have been letting DBs get away with and at the same time Smith and reagor and Watkins need to not let those corners give them the business.

The toss to reagor when he stepped out could have been illegal contact, the toss to Smith where he stepped out could have been illegal contact and the toss to Watkins in the back of the end zone where the DB pretty much tackled him should have been illegal contact.

I don't watch enough of other games around the league to see if the refs let DBs league wide get away with as much contact but it seems to me so far the refs are swallowing their whistles when it comes to contact against eagles WRs.

19 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yo, Ertz has been getting Yac the last few games! Leave him alone!

I saw one of those.  It only took him what, 8 years?  :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Ive been disappointed with the contact that the refs have been letting DBs get away with and at the same time Smith and reagor and Watkins need to not let those corners give them the business.

The toss to reagor when he stepped out could have been illegal contact, the toss to Smith where he stepped out could have been illegal contact and the toss to Watkins in the back of the end zone where the DB pretty much tackled him should have been illegal contact.

I don't watch enough of other games around the league to see if the refs let DBs league wide get away with as much contact but it seems to me so far the refs are swallowing their whistles when it comes to contact against eagles WRs.

Interesting enough the Reagor and Smith plays were reviewed. It’s a shame penalties or lack of calls aren’t part of replay, but perhaps those players also need to do a better job of selling the penalty and not allow themselves to be pushed out of bounds to begin with. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

Smith is on pace for just a hair over 1,000 and Quez is just a hair under.

When's the last time we can say we had two WRs that are 1000 yard receivers?

Maclin and Jackson?

PFF is reporting that he has 30 targets and zero drops so far this year.  Didn't he have a couple drops against SF?

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

PFF is reporting that he has 30 targets and zero drops so far this year.  Didn't he have a couple drops against SF?

I guess it depends what they deem a drop and what they mark down as a poor throw and as such don't put the stat against the WR?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, NOTW said:

We've had such poor WR play that a WR getting open and making catches is now "special."   :lol:  It's like Goedert getting YAC and fighting for a 1st down we throw a parade because Ertz can't do that.

I did like seeing him take some good hits so far this year and not shy away from contact.  Everyone knew he was a solid WR prospect and had the accolades from college, the issue was his size and durability.  Only 4 games in, lots more to see and evaluate.  But happy with him so far.

Smith is special but needs to bulk up or he will not last.

18 minutes ago, rickospia said:

Smith is special but needs to bulk up or he will not last.

No he doesn't, this is the prevalence of heavier receivers in the NFL being trumpeted as evidence that small guys get bullied out of the NFL, when the reality is guys Smiths size don't tend to play football college or NFL and there's no physiological basis for more muscle mass making you less susceptible to injury, in fact I'll bet cash money that trying to put significant pounds on his frame will ruin his career quicker by slowing him down and making him less elusive.

He was the best receiver in Alabama's history as he is now, why you gotta try and turn him into Anquan Boldin? Bulking up is for linemen.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No he doesn't, this is the prevalence of heavier receivers in the NFL being trumpeted as evidence that small guys get bullied out of the NFL, when the reality is guys Smiths size don't tend to play football college or NFL and there's no physiological basis for more muscle mass making you less susceptible to injury, in fact I'll bet cash money that trying to put significant pounds on his frame will ruin his career quicker by slowing him down and making him less elusive.

He was the best receiver in Alabama's history as he is now, why you gotta try and turn him into Anquan Boldin? Bulking up is for linemen.

Did you see a LB pick up in the air on a tackle last week he will not last until he gets in that weight room .

44 minutes ago, rickospia said:

Did you see a LB pick up in the air on a tackle last week he will not last until he gets in that weight room .

It was a good form tackle from a DB. Smitty will be fine. He doesn't need to add too much to his frame. Marvin Harrison played at 175 lbs for 13 seasons and he did just fine.

10 minutes ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

It was a good form tackle from a DB. Smitty will be fine. He doesn't need to add too much to his frame. Marvin Harrison played at 175 lbs for 13 seasons and he did just fine.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of effort it has taken in a few of those catches for guys to bring Smith down. Sometimes the dude has 2 or 3 guys hanging on his back and he is still fighting through it.

I'm not as concerned about his weight as I once was. He is clearly stronger then his weight would indicate

• Like 4

On 10/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, Uscg-green said:

What's the statute of limitation on that one? We taking whole career out just this season? Lol

Forever dude.  It's on you. 🤣

15 hours ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

Smith needs to get in the weight room .

I was told, here on this board, he wasn't alpha enough...Wasn't that right @Ray75?

I like Smith don’t get me wrong but I just don’t see an alpha dog, a true No.1 receiver.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

I was told, here on this board, he wasn't alpha enough...Wasn't that right @Ray75?

That's so silly.  I don't even follow college football but coming out as a prospect his coaches and teammates and scouts all said what a leader he is.  He achieved so much in college, you don't excel especially at his size without being tough and having strong work ethic.  The knock on him coming into the NFL is his size but the scouts also said that was never a problem for him before.  But not "alpha" enough?  How do fans even know that or what that means?  Does he have to piss on his corner in the locker room to mark his territory and steal someone's girlfriend?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

That's so silly.  I don't even follow college football but coming out as a prospect his coaches and teammates and scouts all said what a leader he is.  He achieved so much in college, you don't excel especially at his size without being tough and having strong work ethic.  The knock on him coming into the NFL is his size but the scouts also said that was never a problem for him before.  But not "alpha" enough?  How do fans even know that or what that means?  Does he have to piss on his corner in the locker room to mark his territory and steal someone's girlfriend?  :lol:

Well that answers my questions on where another poster gets all their nonsense from

50 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yeah that was my point in the Smith thread, and I was kinda told to just STFU, which is fine...But I'm not going to forget that statement, and not hold it against you when he proves you wrong.

I was literally laughing as he put defender after defender on skates. His moves and routes are pristine. He creates cushions of 5, 10, 15 yards, which is ridiculous in the NFL. Imagine what he does as a more mature player? He could become a great one. And no- I don't believe the superstitious BS that to say a player is really good, the football demons come injure that player. If he is going to get hurt, it's not because a person created a post on a message board in cyberworld. 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rickospia said:

Smith needs to get in the weight room .

Has been in the weight room since signing with the Eagles, and getting better every day.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, Uscg-green said:

He's the best receiver we have had in years already. And he's only four games into his career. 

He litterally is like open 80% of the time, Shame our QB is king of checkdowns and bails out of clean posckets.   Some day maybe we might get a NFL caliber QB to throw him the ball. He could have had 4 EASY Td's last sunday. 

5 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Yeah that was my point in the Smith thread, and I was kinda told to just STFU, which is fine...But I'm not going to forget that statement, and not hold it against you when he proves you wrong.

Yeah that's a goofy line to keep bringing up to him.  :lol:

In the Dallas game he took a couple big hits and handled it well and if I recall, he fought to extend the play to a 1st down pulling the defender with him.  I thought that was a great example of his toughness.  I think I remember an interview with him where he said he's been told his whole life he's too small so he's probably worked hard to prove people wrong, and that kind of "dog in him" like Dawkins used to say is what will drive him to perform.  I like him so far, excited to see how he develops.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, Swoop said:

The closest I can recall in recent memory was DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin early in their careers with Philly, but I don't think they ever both got 1000 yards when playing together. Maclin finally had his 1000 yard season after Jackson was cut and signed with the Redskins. 

2010 when Michael Vick was the comeback player of the year is probably the closest though: Jackson 1056, Maclin 964

On 10/4/2021 at 1:29 PM, Swoop said:

God really? I didn't realise that Quez was on pace for nearly 1000 yards?

I can't even remember the last time we had one WR close to a 1000 yard season... 😅

• Like 1