It's time to give up on season

gameshowfan91

Just now, Kz! said:

Honestly this season has gone about as well as anyone should have expected. We're coming off a 4-11-1 season. We've beaten a bad team (Falcons), a somewhat bad team (Panthers), and lost a really close game to a decent team (Niners), lost competitive games to two really good teams (Chiefs, Bucs) and gotten blown out by one (Cowboys). Unless you had totally unrealistic expectations coming in, you shouldn't be all that disappointed with the results. 

I mean this is the truth of it, I didn't expect more than 3 or 4 wins looking at our schedule and our performances outside Atlanta are pretty much at this level.

Until this team has Offensive Linemen that can play more than 3 consecutive games and actual NFL quality linebackers we are what we are, we need another couple of solid drafts to refresh the roster, unfortunately what we're likely to get is Howie drafting a QB high in a god awful QB class, then ignoring the big holes in the roster for back ups at positions of strength, but we can live in hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean this is the truth of it, I didn't expect more than 3 or 4 wins looking at our schedule and our performances outside Atlanta are pretty much at this level.

Until this team has Offensive Linemen that can play more than 3 consecutive games and actual NFL quality linebackers we are what we are, we need another couple of solid drafts to refresh the roster, unfortunately what we're likely to get is Howie drafting a QB high in a god awful QB class, then ignoring the big holes in the roster for back ups at positions of strength, but we can live in hope.

I expected 4 or 5 wins going into this season!

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

One bad game?  

giphy.gif

He needs a hair cut

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Minshew

Oh yeah great thats going to work out so well. I mean honestly this Minshew hype is pretty ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh yeah great thats going to work out so well. I mean honestly this Minshew hype is pretty ridiculous.

To be fair, he was vastly better on a much worse roster.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh yeah great that's going to work out so well. I mean honestly this Minshew hype is pretty ridiculous.

Could you imagine if Minshew had played against Chiefs... and won? Minshew could have been QB of Eagles going forward. Eagles had no chance to beat Chiefs with Hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Could you imagine if Minshew had played against Chiefs... and won? Minshew could have been QB of Eagles going forward. Eagles had no chance to beat Chiefs with Hurts.

Hurts put up 30 points was it? Had 3 TDs taken off the board? And kept up with a high powered offense that crushed our defense. And Hurts was the problem? KC scored 6 TDs on 7 offensive drives and it was Hurts that was the issue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts put up 30 points was it? Had 3 TDs taken off the board? And kept up with a high powered offense that crushed our defense. And Hurts was the problem? KC scored 6 TDs on 7 offensive drives and it was Hurts that was the issue?

7 of those points were garbage time.

3 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Could you imagine if the Eagles just scored more points than the other team every game, they'd be undefeated!  Making up imaginary things is fun.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

7 of those points were garbage time.

And 3 TDs taken off the board. Going to ignore that are we?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a ridiculously easy remaining schedule according to most outlets so I am not ready to give up on the season yet... however, if we lose one of the next 2 I think the season will be over from a playoff point of view.

31 minutes ago, Walkdawalk said:

We have a ridiculously easy remaining schedule according to most outlets so I am not ready to give up on the season yet... however, if we lose one of the next 2 I think the season will be over from a playoff point of view.

image.jpeg.a9d33a2189cd087240536dd1fbb3a3ed.jpeg

and

Rick James was right: Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Fight ends with man  stabbed

• Haha 1

Give up, should be not.  At this point of the season with this W-L record, can't be too excited.  Better to use the season to evaluate the players on the roster.  Give the PT to the promising players and develop them for the future. 

I had a little hope that Sirianni and Hurtz could have at least given us an element of surprise this season and pull off some unexpected wins. That hope has been lost. We are who most thought we would be with no surprises other than both coaches and Hurtz may be further in over their head then some thought.

We need to give Hurtz more playing time to make a better assessment. I don't follow college ball closely but it sure sounds like this QB draft class is not the greatest. I'm thinking it may be a smart move to trade down this year and horde higher picks for the following draft. Besides, no point bringing in another young QB with so little to surround them with, not to mention questions surrounding coaching. I would focus on other needs after this season. If Hurtz fails to progress then I'd like to see what Minshew can do. Maybe give him some playing time late this season and see where that takes us next season. By the end of next season we should have a better idea if Sirianni is NFL material and know much more about our current QB situation. We'll hopefully be younger and in better cap shape. At that point we build around the chosen future at QB and coaching staff.

This is pretty much the same plan I saw going into this season. I was always expecting at least 2-3 years of mediocrity while we shed cap and got younger. After next season, when we've hopefully spent our time wisely in the wilderness, we should be through the worse of the growing pains. Even if we're not greatly improved, we may be able to bring in higher caliber coaches in that situation then we were after last season, if coaching is still considered a need.

TLDR:

There was little hope for this season at the start

Trade down this draft and focus on other needs instead of QB (bank higher picks for next draft)

Next season continue to shed cap and acquire draft picks and make final assessment of current QB(s) and coaching staff

Go into the following draft with no questions about who the coach will be for at least 2-3 seasons, settle on a QB and start building around that QB.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Swoop said:

To be fair, he was vastly better on a much worse roster.

What?

James Robinson is better then any RB the Eagles have including Sanders. He also had Dede Westbrook, Chris Conley, Shenault and Keelan Cole. Their offensive line was stable for most of the year as well.

The Eagles have better TEs (they had Eifert and a JAG) then he had and Devonta Smith is better then any of their other WRs, but as a group his WRs were vastly superior to what is here now.

I almost wish we had a brutal remaining schedule. I can see us going on a win streak against some bad teams and sneaking into the playoffs as a 7 seed. Not saying we should be there or that we would have a shot but with the schedule remaining it's possible it happens.

There’s like five new threads a paragraph each whining about the same stuff. All these things should be merged into one whining thread. 😂

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It’s a waste of time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s like five new threads a paragraph each whining about the same stuff. All these things should be merged into one whining thread. 😂

Especially when these threads are started by guys who pop up once a month thinking they have thread worthy topics.

29 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Especially when these threads are started by guys who pop up once a month thinking they have thread worthy topics.

Part time fans!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

What?

James Robinson is better then any RB the Eagles have including Sanders. He also had Dede Westbrook, Chris Conley, Shenault and Keelan Cole. Their offensive line was stable for most of the year as well.

The Eagles have better TEs (they had Eifert and a JAG) then he had and Devonta Smith is better then any of their other WRs, but as a group his WRs were vastly superior to what is here now.

He didn't have James Robinson in 2019. He didn't have Shenault in 2019. Westbrook was promising and his career is flirting with being over at this point. Conley and Cole are JAGs. Their TEs are worse. Their OL, albeit solid, is worse. Their defense was in the bottom third 2019 and arguably the worst in 2020.

I stand by what I said. At best, it's a wash.

1 hour ago, Vileborg said:

I almost wish we had a brutal remaining schedule. I can see us going on a win streak against some bad teams and sneaking into the playoffs as a 7 seed. Not saying we should be there or that we would have a shot but with the schedule remaining it's possible it happens.

I think it’s a stretch for this team to make the playoffs. They are after all one of those bad teams too. As long as the DC is coaching zone all the time, the HC isn’t running the ball, and the quarterback missing easy NFL throws this team isn’t going anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think it’s a stretch for this team to make the playoffs. They are after all one of those bad teams too. As long as the DC is coaching zone all the time, the HC isn’t running the ball, and the quarterback missing easy NFL throws this team isn’t going anywhere. 

They have an outside chance just because their roster does ease up. I don't think they will and I don't think it is likely but there's a chance they do. 

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They are going to continue ignoring these points you are making. It doesn't matter....there are some on here who are not going to like nor back Hurts no matter what....forget and ignore that the idiotic coach not running the ball and the woeful defense is not helping him out in the slightest bit. This SO reminds me of when McNabb was the QB....so no matter what you say, you are going to get that in here....but I really applaud your effort here....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They have an outside chance just because their roster does ease up. I don't think they will and I don't think it is likely but there's a chance they do. 

The coach has to do more to protect his defense and his quarterback. It just feels like Chip Kelly, Doug, and now Sirianni we’re all just worse versions of Andy Reid’s philosophies. The extremes this team is taking not to run the ball is borderline insanity. 

• Like 2