Minshew Looked Good.

EazyEaglez

Certainly understanding that well this was the Jets and there were a lot of check down throws and screens, Minshew did his thing today. He also made plays by moving in the pocket and extending drives and allowing his receivers to get open. Also limiting the amount of throws to Reagor is always a plus. Despite all the good throws Minshew made today what impressed me most actually was his willingness to give up on a bad screen to play another down. No hero ball trying to make something out of nothing, just throw the darn ball at the feet of the back or Reagor and play another down. It was smart and efficient football from the quarterback today. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

He had a very solid game especially in the first half against a really bad team that was not prepared at all.

Very glad we have a good backup.

• Thanks 2

He found the open guy regularly and made good throws. Threw it away when needed. Solid effort all around. By the second half they pretty much just needed to run it. Minshew had a good game for sure. Nice to see all those completed passes in the first half when the game was close. The offense was enjoyable to watch today, particularly fist half. The D was the opposite.

• Like 4

Yes, it was vs the lowly Jets, who admitted they practiced to face Hurts instead of Minshew.  However, Minshew also only had full reps with the 1s for the latter half of the week as it was reported they were splitting reps earlier in the week.  I'm sure he was a bit rusty and still hadn't had a great chance to develop chemistry with his receivers.  I do think in the 2nd half that Siri went a little simpler with the O to try and eat the clock and reduce the chance of TOs to swing momentum.  So while Minshew and the O looked mostly outstanding in the 1st half, all they had to be was effective enough in the 2nd half.

He gave most of us what we wanted to see and that's how a QB who can see the field, anticipate routes and open receivers, and move subtly in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield looking to make a play with his arm first and legs second instead of doing ballerina pirouettes.  Now we can image what Siri's O will look like with a competent QB.  And yes, most of us also know Minshew is not the long term answer, but he is one of the best backups in the League and can hold down the position for a short while until we get a potential franchise QB.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

He had a very solid game especially in the first half against a really bad team that was not prepared at all.

Yup. now all we need to do is find our starting QB of the future.  Minshew will make a great backup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is Minshew signed for next year? he is a good backup

• Like 2

It was good to see that even without Hurts, and Howard, we still ran the ball well today. 

1 minute ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I think we have him this and next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

This is why I loved the trade for Minshew... he's under contract for one more year on a cheap deal. Very solid back-up option.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, shlo said:

This is why I loved the trade for Minshew... he's under contract for one more year on a cheap deal. Very solid back-up option.

Yeah, he’s 25 and on a sixth round rookie deal.

20 minutes ago, Infam said:

18 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Yup. now all we need to do is find our starting QB of the future.  Minshew will make a great backup.

True. But since they are both backup calibre guys and Minshew is clearly better than the other he should probably be the guy that plays. 

• Like 4

Just as I have been saying I’m not making too much out of any performance by Hurts, good or bad, I’m going to apply the same logic to Minshew.  

Good day today, but let’s see if he can do it consistently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Just as I have been saying I’m not making too much out of any performance by Hurts, good or bad, I’m going to apply the same logic to Minshew.  

Good day today, but let’s see if he can do it consistently.  

I agree. But to find that out he needs to start more than one game.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Right now Minshew is a better backup QB than Hurts.

Plays the part well...  even was dressing like Goose.  Ideal wingman.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I agree. But to find that out he needs to start more than one game.

I doubt they play him much again unless Hurts is hurt. Howie will try to avoid the 6th rd pick he gave up for him turning into a 5th.

He looked okay, threw accurate short passes but under-threw every single mid to long pass.

But he passed it better than Hurts has since the first half of the DEN game.

• Like 2

Lurie wants Hurts to play. Minshew had good production with a horrible Jags organization. He is a low end starter and much better than Hurts right now.

• Like 1

I’ve been constipated this week, so Minshew was exactly what I needed. A strong #2

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The Factory is in business.

And Minchew strikes me as a Detmer (if either one starred in Boogie Nights).

I think he could at least be a Feeley.

58 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Right now Minshew is a better backup QB than Hurts.

After one game? This game was similar to the ATL game where hurts also balled as a passer. Short memory?

• Like 1