A trailer tomorrow and series starts on 4th June. My level of excitement is

9cf872b3dcc7727d18b41aafa03a61d6.gif

Is Star Wars the new Walking Dead?

Every new Star Wars show:

0_2oWn-xaBhJXqxS44.jpg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Is Star Wars the new Walking Dead?

It would be a more interesting twist than another property where Jedii/Mando/Grogu/Omega/AN other are being hunted by something evil.

6 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

0_2oWn-xaBhJXqxS44.jpg

Good news, Disney is doubling down

The Force Awokens.

I'm optimistic. I watched a couple brief interviews with director Leslye Headland. She's been a lifelong SW fan, she loved the originals and wanted to be respectful of that world and what Lucas did, while doing something set in a different era. She used to write fan fiction. 

Sci-fi should have diversity with different cultures, planets, creatures, etc. Simply having a diverse cast isn't by itself "woke." It becomes a bit much when they are obviously putting so many female characters and minimizing the male characters. But the trailer has some cool looking fighting and lightsaber stuff so we'll see. 

She said she was inspired by Obi-Wan's line of Vader being "seduced" by the dark side and as a teenager thought why would he use that word, so she kind of laughed and said she wanted to explore what it would mean for a female Jedi to be seduced to the dark side. So we'll see how that plays out. :lol: 

Some of memes of the launch poster are great

GJIrUQ9WQAAcloE?format=jpg&name=medium

GJAqREpXwAA4Kb6?format=jpg&name=large

My favourite is

GJH5mbUXQAAGE2K?format=jpg&name=medium

It took me a 2nd look to notice the issue here.  LOL

And they put that into the trailer.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

FB_IMG_1712934786218.jpg

What time period is the new show set in?

I have no issue at all with a racially diverse cast. It's good for kids to see heroes in sci fi and fantasy that look like them. It's when it becomes distracting from the story telling or even worse, when it just destroys any semblance of a story at all like it did in TLJ. Like, we have to make sure we give more screen time to women characters story be damned. The women characters have to be stronger than any of the men, even if it makes no sense story wise (ex: Rey the Mary Sue is more powerful in the force than Luke or Anakin because reasons). Or my favorite... let's have a diverse cast but make sure the baddies have no diversity at all and are just all pasty white guys.

4 hours ago, Gannan said:

From wiki: "The Acolyte is set at the end of the Star Wars franchise's High Republic era, approximately 100 years before Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)."

5 hours ago, Gannan said:

I have no issue at all with a racially diverse cast. It's good for kids to see heroes in sci fi and fantasy that look like them. It's when it becomes distracting from the story telling or even worse, when it just destroys any semblance of a story at all like it did in TLJ. Like, we have to make sure we give more screen time to women characters story be damned. The women characters have to be stronger than any of the men, even if it makes no sense story wise (ex: Rey the Mary Sue is more powerful in the force than Luke or Anakin because reasons). Or my favorite... let's have a diverse cast but make sure the baddies have no diversity at all and are just all pasty white guys.

There should be a lot of diversity in sci-fi, including aliens and creatures. I thought the prequels missed an opportunity for the main characters. Obviously we knew what existing characters needed to be. I liked Plo-Koon, he was done well in the Clone Wars TV show later. A character like that could have been more prominent instead of Qui-Gon or Mace Windu, to feature a non-human character more. They also started out well with Padme/Amidala being a strong feisty character (suitable as Leia's mother). By the end of the trilogy that had her just barefoot and pregnant and crying. 

Having a female lead is welcomed and needed, but it's going to be rare in a "man's world." There just aren't as many female warriors in general. TV shows often do this with equity of women cops to men and that sort of thing. Rogue One had a female lead which came out a year after The Force Awakens. Obi-Wan had to have a female lead Inquisitor, Ahsoka had 3 female lead heroes and 2 female villains. The Acolyte now will have 2 female Jedi heroes and the main villain is female. They overcorrect and make it forced.

They also usually make the female characters already built in with abilities and they don't go through the typical hero's journey. Rey touched Luke's lightsaber, then figured out how to use the force on her own with no training. She also didn't face failure. Poe had to realize his attempts in the beginning of TLJ cost lives and he had to learn a lesson. Rey just waltzed through the series. There is absolutely no way she could have held her own for 2 seconds against Kylo Ren in that first battle, he would have destroyed her. Same with Finn, he should have died, Kylo Ren was well trained and powerful. 

Have diverse casts, just write and develop them better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NOTW said:

They also usually make the female characters already built in with abilities and they don't go through the typical hero's journey. Rey touched Luke's lightsaber, then figured out how to use the force on her own with no training. She also didn't face failure. Poe had to realize his attempts in the beginning of TLJ cost lives and he had to learn a lesson. Rey just waltzed through the series. There is absolutely no way she could have held her own for 2 seconds against Kylo Ren in that first battle, he would have destroyed her. Same with Finn, he should have died, Kylo Ren was well trained and powerful. 

Have diverse casts, just write and develop them better.

Agree.  It's sad that South Park managed to distil Disney Star Wars into a single meme and it can apply to each property they make.  I suspect The Acolyte will be ok, but the trailer alone will put people off because the female/diversity part is so unsubtle nowadays. It's using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

I do think there is serious diversity fatigue out in the real world now - which is why so many older TV programs are being watched on streaming services and new ones aren't. Suits was a hit last summer on Netflix. Suits 🤣

Does anyone think Bad Batch is dragging a bit now?  It's been decent, but it's had episodes that are just fillerific for the sake of it. 14 (?) episodes feels way too much now

On 3/20/2024 at 4:02 AM, iladelphxx said:

0_2oWn-xaBhJXqxS44.jpg

So supposedly the right hates Disney cuz of the ghey & the left hates Disney cuz of Gaza. I call B.S. on both sides , if the Star Wars movies & shows were any good nobody would give a F.

I just realized something about the final battle scene from the original Star Wars movie... 

Screenshot_20240420_141321_Google.thumb.jpg.393014c8992b8ecf87c065e381c83ff5.jpg

However:

Screenshot_20240420_141257_Google.thumb.jpg.69e5c7e7d86df05092fd265d85acf7ef.jpg

Remember, they flew the Death Star to Yavin knowing that the Rebel base was on the planet, it's not like they were caught off guard.... Why did they show scenes of people running around like it was a surprise attack?  Why weren't the pilots already in their ships ready to go? 

Also, why did they only send 0.1% of their Tie Fighters to defend the Death Star? 

Why didn't they send any of those other ships to attack the Rebel base? 

I never realized how stupid this was 🤣

On 4/19/2024 at 6:29 PM, dawkins4prez said:

So supposedly the right hates Disney cuz of the ghey & the left hates Disney cuz of Gaza. I call B.S. on both sides , if the Star Wars movies & shows were any good nobody would give a F.

I want good Star Wars. I'd even take average Star Wars at this point.  If you make something good and neutral, people will watch it.  The House of the Dragon pulled in a bunch of people like me who were 100% done with GoT after season 8, because it was just so good.  If they make another great one in Season 2, they will have memory holed season 8 completely.

2 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I just realized something about the final battle scene from the original Star Wars movie... 

Screenshot_20240420_141321_Google.thumb.jpg.393014c8992b8ecf87c065e381c83ff5.jpg

However:

Screenshot_20240420_141257_Google.thumb.jpg.69e5c7e7d86df05092fd265d85acf7ef.jpg

Remember, they flew the Death Star to Yavin knowing that the Rebel base was on the planet, it's not like they were caught off guard.... Why did they show scenes of people running around like it was a surprise attack?  Why weren't the pilots already in their ships ready to go? 

Also, why did they only send 0.1% of their Tie Fighters to defend the Death Star? 

Why didn't they send any of those other ships to attack the Rebel base? 

I never realized how stupid this was 🤣

It was

104e1ceff6eec4f8ecad30ad03a51ae436ce3931

and a neat story to tell. But on paper, looks dumb as F

It's silly to dissect the original movie. Lucas was making essentially an indie sci-fi movie that drew from things he grew up watching with pirates, samurai and westerns. It was a fairly simple story repackaged in space. There are mistakes in it such as a stormtrooper hitting his head on a door and Luke's blue milk cup changing hands. Empire even had the infamous ice cream maker. Lucas didn't originally plan for Luke & Leia to be twins. Some things he made up as he went along. 

• Like 2