Anyone still *believe* JJAW will actually be good?

FastFreddie

On 7/23/2020 at 11:37 PM, brkmsn said:

BTW, Reagor's combine time was slower due to the added weight (12 lbs over his playing weight) 

Yep, that's the story.

If true, I'm thinking he's either stupid or lazy.

Who puts on on weight and not check if it's affecting your 40 time when there's millions of dollars at stake?

If I had to guess, those 12lbs came about simply due to laziness.

7 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Yep, that's the story.

If true, I'm thinking he's either stupid or lazy.

Who puts on on weight and not check if it's affecting your 40 time when there's millions of dollars at stake?

If I had to guess, those 12lbs came about simply due to laziness.

If he had retained his speed with the added weight, it would have been a "plus" to scouts. If Reagor ran a 4.2x second forty at the combine, do you really think it changes where he was drafted with the other WRs available? The scouts all saw his virtual pro day. Acting like they don't count pro-day workouts is pretty naive. Even with the added weight he still put up the second best vertical jump and broad jump at the combine among WRs. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

If Reagor ran a 4.2x second forty at the combine, do you really think it changes where he was drafted with the other WRs available? 

What do you mean by 'available'?  The combine is pre-draft so all WR's would have been available, so yes, I believe he would have been drafted higher.

13 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

What do you mean by 'available'?  The combine is pre-draft so all WR's would have been available, so yes, I believe he would have been drafted higher.

So which WR(s) that was/were drafted ahead of him would he have been drafted before?

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

So which WR(s) that was/were drafted ahead of him would he have been drafted before?

He is going to say any recievers that ran slower then a 4.3

On 7/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, EagleVA said:

I was listening to some guys on the internet comparing him to K.J.Hamler

One of these guys will not be a good NFL player, and its not Reagor.

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

One of these guys will not be a good NFL player, and its not Reagor.

He watched film 

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

FYP.  

Everyone knows that running a 4.2/4.3 automatically makes you the best player in the league. 

1) JJAW-   

Pros- Big strong WR, good hands, Large Catch radius, very good body control, can literally box out smaller defenders, good get off, tracks ball well, high points ball well, supposedly intelligent

Cons- Limited Route Tree, had trouble getting on same page with Wentz last year, not elite speed, nor elite vertical leaping. Was injured? Abdominal ? 

Love his upside at the x, coaching staff/situation did him little to no favors last year making him learn all 3 positions, while working on routes and injuries certainly didn't help Way too early to give up on a guy who has his size, can box out defenders like he has, and has decent hands and a large catch radius he has

2) Reagor - 

Pros- Elite speed, play making ability, explosive athlete with great vertical leaping ability and unique body control skills. Legacy NFL player who wont feel out of place, the game wont be too big for him, nor will he lose focus.

Cons- Smaller framed, lacks blocking skills, Can drop passes at times (can be coached up) 

No doubt in my mind Reagor if healthy will make a Miles Sanders type of impact by end of his rookie year, biggest issue is not much in way of training camp this year- same boat as everyone else, but that can lend to elite athletes making more of those physically gifted plays, as teams struggle to scheme things up to mitigate those plays. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He is having a real nice camp so far and is the starter at the X position. So at this point things are positive.

It seems Wentz is starting to look for him more and throw passes that maximize his size advantage.

One nice thing is that he is earning his playing time, and nothing has been handed to him, in contrast to previous years when wrs like Agholor and DGB have been handed starting jobs based solely on draft position. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside said he’s "night and day different” this season.

"I look back and I'm not even the same guy, so I'm not even going to worry about what happened last year,” Arcega-Whiteside said. "Definitely going to be different this year.” Arcega-Whiteside was one of the worst receivers in the league as a rookie, catching just 10 of his 22 targets (45.5 percent catch rate). Jalen Reagor looks like a lock to start on the outside with Alshon Jeffery (foot, active/PUP) questionable for Week 1, and John Hightower has been playing over Arcega-Whiteside in three-wide sets. The Eagles offseason moves and the first few days of training camp suggest Arcega-Whiteside isn’t in their plans.

saw this on rotoworld today

3 minutes ago, pangbun said:

JJ Arcega-Whiteside said he’s "night and day different” this season.

"I look back and I'm not even the same guy, so I'm not even going to worry about what happened last year,” Arcega-Whiteside said. "Definitely going to be different this year.” Arcega-Whiteside was one of the worst receivers in the league as a rookie, catching just 10 of his 22 targets (45.5 percent catch rate). Jalen Reagor looks like a lock to start on the outside with Alshon Jeffery (foot, active/PUP) questionable for Week 1, and John Hightower has been playing over Arcega-Whiteside in three-wide sets. The Eagles offseason moves and the first few days of training camp suggest Arcega-Whiteside isn’t in their plans.

saw this on rotoworld today

This sounds largely inaccurate based on what we’re hearing from the Philly reporters.

37 minutes ago, Thrive said:

This sounds largely inaccurate based on what we’re hearing from the Philly reporters.

What do you mean?  For the most part, I thought they've been pretty positive with his progress so far this week.  

Also, I am not holding my breath.  At this time last year, he was about to look like an all-pro in the week 3 preseason game against the Ravens.  

3 minutes ago, hputenis said:

What do you mean?  For the most part, I thought they've been pretty positive with his progress so far this week.  

He was responding to the rotoworld article, which had JJAW behind Hightower. That is untrue, and was likely the result of Hightower getting reps when JJAW was not participating in practice the first few days.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jsb235 said:

He is having a real nice camp so far and is the starter at the X position. So at this point things are positive.

It seems Wentz is starting to look for him more and throw passes that maximize his size advantage.

One nice thing is that he is earning his playing time, and nothing has been handed to him, in contrast to previous years when wrs like Agholor and DGB have been handed starting jobs based solely on draft position. 

He practiced 2 days and caught a few passes not exactly anything to write home about. They have been raving about Reagor and JJ is starting over him anyways, after a horrible rookie season and not practicing basically all week. I would say that is handing him the starting job. 

.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE

The bar was low for JJAW coming into camp following such a disappointing rookie season. He hasn’t looked amazing by any means but he has made some nice catches over the past couple days after missing practice due to injury earlier in the week. The Eagles are lining up JJAW as their first team X receiver. He’s on track to start for them against Washington in Week 1, though Reagor rotating in can/will eat into his playing time.

Wentz has consistently worked to be a better QB and one of the take aways from last year was that he had no choice but to throw to PS receivers. Wentz had serious trust issues with a lot of receivers and for good reason but he seems to be holding on to what he picked up from last year which was sling it and trust the receiver to do their job. Hightower, Watkins, Reagor and JJAW all seem to be reaping the benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we will see a lot of Ertz but it's nice to know he has a corp of young receivers who can actually catch the ball. It wouldn't hurt to give a defense more legit options to cover either.

The team activates the new WR Fulgham, who has a wide wingspan and good size.  Competition to JJaw, or they are moving away from JJaw?  Either way, notice has been served and JJaw has to step up.  

With all the speedy WRs, having tall one is good balance.  The team also has good TEs as large-body receiver.  Wentz has to establish timing and chemistry with the diverse group of pass catchers.  This passing offense should be good.

46 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The team activates the new WR Fulgham, who has a wide wingspan and good size.  Competition to JJaw, or they are moving away from JJaw?  Either way, notice has been served and JJaw has to step up.  

With all the speedy WRs, having tall one is good balance.  The team also has good TEs as large-body receiver.  Wentz has to establish timing and chemistry with the diverse group of pass catchers.  This passing offense should be good.

Unless he is traded there's no chance they cut Whiteside this year. They don't give up on second round picks that quick otherwise Sidney Jones would have been gone a while ago.

I would think more of a trade would be Jeffrey going out the door. With all the players going out and getting injured Etc I could see someone pulling out of trade to get a veteran if they think it's the final need to make a push towards playoffs come trade deadline.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Unless he is traded there's no chance they cut Whiteside this year. They don't give up on second round picks that quick otherwise Sidney Jones would have been gone a while ago.

I would think more of a trade would be Jeffrey going out the door. With all the players going out and getting injured Etc I could see someone pulling out of trade to get a veteran if they think it's the final need to make a push towards playoffs come trade deadline.

I can’t see anyone trading for Jeffery. The Eagles would have to give something up for a team to take him off their hands. There’s no way he’s active by week one. I doubt he’s available until around mid season at best.