Anyone still *believe* JJAW will actually be good?

FastFreddie

I actually don’t. Golden opportunity last year, and he wasn’t just disappointing... he was absolutely useless. 

Worst rookie in 2019 in yards per route run...

**Corrected title of thread to indicate difference between "hope" and "belief" - an underrated distinction, possibly.

I think he can be but I don't think he's the kind of wr that compliments Wentz. Same thing with alshon. 

• Like 1

Honestly he is sort of an afterthought for me.

• Like 3

He can be if the coaching staff does one or both of two things

1- Use his strengths. Howie did make a mistake in drafting Whiteside. He didnt make a mistake cause hes not a good player. He made a mistake because he does not fit what scheme/system Doug plays. Whiteside is a jump ball player. If anyone watches his college film, he jumps for every pass, even when he doesnt need to. hes a post up player like in basketball. grown up in a pro basketball family. his football game was used the same way. So instead of having him run routes that he never ran before , the dink and dunk crosses, slants, drags, etc. Use him in the corner routes, deep Digs and Outs. Fades and mid posts. the well known saying by Andy Reid" I need to put my players in better position to make plays and win" Doug needs to learn that lesson. Put Whiteside in a position that makes him comfortable and gives him the best chance at success. 

2- Moorehead and the coaching staff works night and day with Whiteside and pushes him in learning the routes that Doug wants to run in his dink and dunk system. Don;t even let him run plays at first. Just run routes all day, every day for weeks and nit pick the crap out of every one of his tries till he fine tunes it exactly how it should be run. Open up that route tree and make it a strength. We have to hope Whiteside is up for that type of coaching and can adapt.

I have faith in Whiteside if one of the two above happens. 

• Like 2

I think he can be that 700-800 yard kind of guy for us. A big body who collects 3rd downs when Ertz or Goedert aren't options underneath. I think he'll be a fixture in the redzone also. 

He absolutely had a terrible year, this is likely the cause though.

https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1256991871055941633

• Like 3

Jjaw needs to work his arse off and be ready to go when the injury bug hits the wr corp.  his audition to be a starter ended in failure last season. Back to the bench you go.  

if he gets outworked and out played by any of the new wr’s on the roster in tc/practice  wentz wont so much as look in his direction other than a last option. 

Why would any Eagles fans not "hope" that he's good? That's just insane. You may think he won't be, but to actively hope he's not is kinda criminal.

• Like 11

Holding out hope. I think he can turn into something. At least a possession move the chains red zone type of guy at the very least. 

I absolutely have hope, I want the guy to succeed cause if he doesn't it hurts the team. I am just not very confident he can do it

• Like 2

I haven't written him off.  It's still possible.  But I'm not counting on anything.

If he shows something, then he does.  Otherwise, I rarely even consider his existence when I think about the WR group.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Why would any Eagles fans not "hope" that he's good? That's just insane. You may think he won't be, but to actively hope he's not is kinda criminal.

I think he meant more do you have any hope left that he can turn it around. If you believe he can.

I have my doubts, but I won’t say he can’t. 

1 hour ago, New Zealand Eagle said:

I think he can be that 700-800 yard kind of guy for us. A big body who collects 3rd downs when Ertz or Goedert aren't options underneath. I think he'll be a fixture in the redzone also. 

He absolutely had a terrible year, this is likely the cause though.

https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1256991871055941633

After reading about that interview, I actually have new found hope for the kid.  

Everyone reading this thread should take a look at that tweet/interview. 

• Like 1

I don't think so - but I do remember how Agholor came around after he had a decent WR coach.  So the jury is still out in my mind.

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Moorehead and the coaching staff works night and day with Whiteside and pushes him in learning the routes that Doug wants to run in his dink and dunk system.

That's hard to do in this pandemic.

He probably wasn't as ready as he thought he was last season. The early mistakes seemed to affect his confidence. I expect him to improve a lot over the next couple seasons.

IMO, his upside...and for the offense...is that he replaces some of Ertz's routes in the slot after 2020 and becomes a red zone weapon in traffic.  He's too slow to be anything other than that.  Too slow to be on the field every down.  They knew this when they drafted him, yet they did it anyway.

3 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Reading is fundamental. 

Hell, I’m Mr. Sunshine. I hope a lot of things. But logic and evidence haven’t shown me that this player will be reasonably good. 

I'm not going to give up on him after one year i know that. But I'm also not going to go in to this team with this hope that he's going to come along and become a starter. 

I have some hope, I have zero expectations is probably how I'd summarise it. 

Sure, I have hope. I still have hope that Reggie Brown will be a good receiver, though. Hell, I still have hope that Victor Bailey will pan out and be a good receiver... 

Of course those two never did pan out. But they're the 'vibe' that I've gotten from JJ, will he just be another name on the list of disappointing WR's over the decades?

• Like 1

I absolutely do.......he'll play a role similar to Jeffrey's role.  Lat year, because of all the WR injuries, Pedersen mentioned that JJAW was moved around too much and it hampered his development.  Plus Wentz, who was struggling with his own confidence, never was real confident in JJAW.  He's a possession type receiver who uses his body similar to Jeffrey but he never got big separation....which is why Wentz, and his struggling confidence to hit small windows, didn't thow his way.  Wentz got passed that issue later in the year,  and hopefully continues that this year, which will give JJAW more chances.

There are legitimate reasons why he struggled besides the typical philly fan idiotic reaction "he sucks".

In typical philly fashion, fans are giving up on the guy after one f------ year. He was drafted to file a certain role, things didn't go as planned and he didn't progress as hoped. But the talent is there, and with the new WR coach, the additional skill players, and maybe more chemistry with Wentz, I think he'll be a nice piece to the WR corps.

• Thanks 1

There is always hope... Especially because of the new coaches, that we have. But..with the speedy receivers we did draft...JJ future does not look that good. No separation..possession type skills maybe will limit his field time...and future with the Eagles.