Anyone still *believe* JJAW will actually be good?

FastFreddie

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The original thread title was using ‘’hope’’ interchangeably with ‘’faith’’. 

I hope JJAW will be good.

I have no belief that he actually will be, and I choose to not have faith in conflict with my belief.

This is fun... and might be one of our last opportunities to even bother talking about a potential dud of a player. HOPEfully not.

I think he'll make the team this year, be buried on the depth chart and get little to no run this season, and miss the cut next year.

20 hours ago, judunno said:

Holding out hope. I think he can turn into something. At least a possession move the chains red zone type of guy at the very least. 

I think the Eagles have changed their philosophy to more of a speed offense, so I don't think they are looking for possession WRs now. Their TEs provide that. I think they want WRs to stretch the field.

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I think the Eagles have changed their philosophy to more of a speed offense, so I don't think they are looking for possession WRs now. Their TEs provide that. I think they want WRs to stretch the field.

speed doesn't kill as much in the red zone though. thats where the size comes in

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

The team turned to speed this off-season after observed the KC winning with speed on offense.  They went heavy on the draft and UDFA, plus a trade for Goodwin.  With that many additions, the possession WR is now a minority, which increases JJAW's value.  Ward at the slot may also be a possession WR option.  It is the opportunity for JJAW to make something happened this pre-season, and he better works hard on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The team turned to speed this off-season after observed the KC winning with speed on offense.  They went heavy on the draft and UDFA, plus a trade for Goodwin.  With that many additions, the possession WR is now a minority, which increases JJAW's value.  Ward at the slot may also be a possession WR option.  It is the opportunity for JJAW to make something happened this pre-season, and he better works hard on it. 

Ertz and Goedert may function as the possession WRs.  Hopefully the Eagles have learned that you don't need possession WRs if you are going to run 12 personnel.

I mention this a lot and it is always controversial, but it's not going to be easy to keep both Ertz and Goedert on this team long term.  If they part ways with one of them at some point, JJAW could step into some of those routes from the slot.

He'll have an opportunity, but he's got a looooong way to go.

I'm not optimistic but I'm not giving up on him either. To me, him, Hightower, and Watkins are lottery tickets and if one of them works out great, if two of them do it's gravy.

I don' think he will be a complete bust, but I don't think he is more than a 400-550 yd WR.

Not really. I think there's even a possibility he gets cut at the end of preseason,  if he gets outperformed by the rookies we drafted. 

3 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

JJAW was supposedly drafted to take Alson's role. Alshon won't be playing for likely the first half of the season, maybe longer. Here's his chance.

3 hours ago, Swimm said:

Not really. I think there's even a possibility he gets cut at the end of preseason,  if he gets outperformed by the rookies we drafted. 

If he can be outperformed by rookies that nobody drafted last year, including a TE, then there's a chance he can be outperformed by rookies we drafted this year.

At this point, I am not sure what to expect out of JJAW.  I hope he succeeds!! But I have doubts. 

You only get so many chances in the NFL. I suspect he will end up buried on the depth chart, so he likely will not have a chance to show anything in Philly. We would be smart to trade him if he shows something in the pre-season.

Really don’t think so. No speed, no quickness, and didn’t seem to have the foggiest idea about how to run a route, when to sit, anything. And he dropped the ball. And that was before this interview where he whined about injuries that never showed up on the injury report. Yes he had bad coaching but come on. Nothing there ..

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Sure, I have hope. I still have hope that Reggie Brown will be a good receiver, though. Hell, I still have hope that Victor Bailey will pan out and be a good receiver... 

Of course those two never did pan out. But they're the 'vibe' that I've gotten from JJ, will he just be another name on the list of disappointing WR's over the decades?

I still have hope for Chris T. Jones. So don’t feel bad 

13 hours ago, eglz1 said:

JJAW was supposedly drafted to take Alson's role. Alshon won't be playing for likely the first half of the season, maybe longer. Here's his chance.

Alshon’s timetable was early September. Now obviously it could be longer than that - Mills took longer, but it’s perfectly possible he’s ready in September.

In year 2 he should be vastly improved. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:59 AM, eagle45 said:

IMO, his upside...and for the offense...is that he replaces some of Ertz's routes in the slot after 2020 and becomes a red zone weapon in traffic.  He's too slow to be anything other than that.  Too slow to be on the field every down.  They knew this when they drafted him, yet they did it anyway.

To be clear straight off I'm not saying JJAW is a good receiver, but he runs a shade under 4.5 40 flat out, that's plenty fast enough to play professional football, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald would both struggle to run a 4.5 40 going downhill, Antonio Brown only managed 4.55, the only way Anquan Boldin breaks 4.5 is if he runs it off a 35 metre cliff.  

The obsession with speed on this board has got worse and worse based on one decent DJax performance against an absolutely putrid Washington defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

To be clear straight off I'm not saying JJAW is a good receiver, but he runs a shade under 4.5 40 flat out, that's plenty fast enough to play professional football, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald would both struggle to run a 4.5 40 going downhill, Antonio Brown only managed 4.55, the only way Anquan Boldin breaks 4.5 is if he runs it off a 35 metre cliff.  

The obsession with speed on this board has got worse and worse based on one decent DJax performance against an absolutely putrid Washington defense.

JJAW running a 4.5 on his pro-day is as real as Reagor's 4.22 at his pro-day.  

It's not an obsession with speed.  It's a lack of it.  JJAW is very, very slow.  

When a pro-day 4.49 is considered a surprise, it basically means that scouts think you run worse, in game situations, than the vast majority of draft-able WRs.

And it's fairly disingenuous to cite one Desean Jackson game as the source for the obsession with speed "on this board" when the real source is the Chiefs offense, which has the entire NFL scrambling to assemble speed.

37 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

In year 2 he should be vastly improved. 

Here's hoping.

I hated the pick last year and probably gloated just a bit when JJAW failed miserably, which is regrettable.  I still don’t see him as anything more than a role player at this level.  Having said that, I believe he will have a significantly better season in 2020 because there is typically a jump from year 1 to year 2 and the baseline is extremely low in this instance.  

Most college prospects enter the combine fresh and healthy, so the athleticism should be on full display.  When these prospects don’t pop, it can be a cause for concern because NFL players are always banged up.  If a guy is marginal when healthy, what’s the expected output midway through the season when he is 80%?  

I am hopeful that JJAW has a breakout season and the "JJAW is a bust” narrative fades away so that jackleg posters on a message board like me eat crow.  

This guy is going to become a beast for the Eagles and dominate in the NFL :showoff:

That is what I hope for.

What I believe is that he has some positive tangibles, seems to have lacked playing time due to injury and there is a chance a new WR coach can get more out of him. I also believe 1 year in the NFL is premature to judge any player. Some players bloom sooner than others, but that doesn't make late bloomers busts.

• Like 2