Anyone still *believe* JJAW will actually be good?

FastFreddie

I didn't see the upside of the pick at the time because I thought we needed young with speed. Not what we got which was slow and big. Hell he might turn it around but after the limited amount I saw I wont be banking on it. Stanford WRs like USC WRs are usually misses with very few hits sprinkled in. 

I liked him in college and I liked the pick. but I’ve never seen a WR struggle in his rookie the way he did and turn out to be even a decent WR. And yes, that statement includes Agholor. At least he got open. JJAW couldn’t even do that.

A lot of draft profiles had noted negatives with speed, route-running, beating press, and separation. And we saw all of that and more his rookie season. He will need to become an excellent route runner to generate separation at the NFL level. It is all on him. I never thought he profiled to be successful playing outside in the NFL, so I never viewed him as an Alshon replacement. Alshon has been a #1 WR during his NFL career, although injuries have definitely sapped his athleticism over the years.

Eek.  Hoping for big leaps from both the 1st and 2nd picks last year.  Not sure it's going to happen.  I will choke down the injury excuse and hope for big improvement under Moorehead's tutelage.  Not much else to do but see how year 2 pans out, right?

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

JJAW running a 4.5 on his pro-day is as real as Reagor's 4.22 at his pro-day.  

It's not an obsession with speed.  It's a lack of it.  JJAW is very, very slow.  

When a pro-day 4.49 is considered a surprise, it basically means that scouts think you run worse, in game situations, than the vast majority of draft-able WRs.

And it's fairly disingenuous to cite one Desean Jackson game as the source for the obsession with speed "on this board" when the real source is the Chiefs offense, which has the entire NFL scrambling to assemble speed.

The Chiefs offense is good because they have good players and a Coach / OC that can pull the odd imaginative play out of their book before week 15, we have Doug who treats pre season like touch football with your buddies and then keeps his playbook locked up tight until the season is almost done, it's got nothing to do with speed, Kansas had a top ten scoring offense when it was Alex Smith with Maclin and Avant as receivers, it's about playing to the players you have, Doug appears to have a midas touch for suiting nobody at wide receiver since he rolled up here.

I've said it before but Chip Kelly's worst year of offense was better to watch than 3 of Doug's 4 seasons so far.

Yes I have hope. He has a good head on his shoulders. I blame Groh.

35 minutes ago, Jenkins27 said:

Yes I have hope. He has a good head on his shoulders. I blame Groh.

Why Groh though? He was pretty good with WRs?

A good video of JJ against the Dolphins. It shows that he was able to get open at times against press coverage, but that his windows are going to be pretty tight because he doesn't have elite speed.

https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1257767300704489472

I think he can get better as he improves his route running and as Carson learns to trust him. I think his biggest problem was that he was on the field with Ertz, Alshon, Ward and Goedert for a lot of the season, and they are all pretty much the same kind of receiver. If you add Desean and Reagor to the mix, he will do a lot better.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why Groh though? He was pretty good with WRs?

From what I’ve read he was making JJAW learn every WR position on the field and not letting him know which position he was going to play that week till game day. I know the kid is from Stanford but it’s not hard to see that the guy isn’t a slot WR. Why was Groh making him learn how to play a position he will likely never play lol.

I think/hope the guy will shine this year. But if it’s another stinker I’d move on next year. Sometimes it takes rookies longer than others. The talent is clearly there, we saw it in the preseason last year. Just needs to get chemistry with Wentz. Unfortunately this offseason/pandemic is doing him no favors.

Based on what we saw, he's a bust so far.  Our 3 starters were injured, Hollins was cut, Matthews was brought back, they scoured the practice squads for receivers...JJAW had a huge opportunity, rookie or not.  And he had 10 catches.  Ward came off the practice squad and we were so used to crap at WR he looked good, and made JJAW look bad.

I'm personally tired of the argument of giving guys 3 years to develop.  I get that rookies will have to all learn and grow, but a 2nd round pick should be able to step up when all 3 starters are injured and you are getting guys off the street to play.

Having said that, I don't believe he will do much.  I expect him to get cut like Hollins.  However, I hope the new coaches and all the competition with the new rookies and Goodwin and a healthy Jackson makes the WR group great and JJAW steps up.  But it won't surprise me at all if after his 2nd year he's cut.

• Like 1

I do not.  As the great philosopher Hugh Douglas once said" If they don't bite when they're puppies, they're not going to bite when they're grown dogs"

• Like 1

I never thought he was good. I watch PAC 12 football all the time and while he did make some great plays I knew it would not translate to the NFL.

But I am hopeful that he proves me wrong lol

The WR pickups this offseason makes me think the team doesn't *believe* he will actually be good.

Just now, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

The WR pickups this offseason makes me think the team doesn't *believe* he will actually be good.

I disagree. The WR moves this off-season makes me believe that they are doubling down on Whiteside being a good big WR and Alshon's replacement

Howie and the Eagles Scouts definitely found the needle in the haystack with Whiteside

At least we can always fall back and say he has great character and is a quality teammate

Now you have something against Eagle Scouts? Dang, bro.

35 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Howie and the Eagles Scouts definitely found the needle in the haystack with Whiteside

At least we can always fall back and say he has great character and is a quality teammate

Like that other 2nd Rd pick we jus got...ok I'll stop

9 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

Now you have something against Eagle Scouts? Dang, bro.

i never made it out of cub scouts. i kept getting caught eating the brownies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Like that other 2nd Rd pick we jus got...ok I'll stop

I'm talking WRs. but nice try

14 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i never made it out of cub scouts. i kept getting caught eating the brownies.

What you did there, I see it. 

• Like 1

I'm still willing to give him some leeway.  WR is the second hardest position to learn and he showed flashes in college of hard inside breaks to gain separation.  But it was just flashes and deep down I know he's just a big WR who can sky up for a ball.  I'm glad the Eagles stayed away from contested catch receivers this year.

Bad sign that this kid is playing the "but I was hurt” card, real bad sign.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, eagle45 said:

My expectations have transitioned from modest to zero.  He has the physical talent (or lack of) where everything else needs to be perfect for him to excel.  

It's crazy how the narrative shifts from, midseason, that he can't get on the field because they only want him to learn one position and bring him along slowly....now, he's saying he was hurt and didn't know what position he was going to play.  Throwing up all those excuses under cover of an interview in a different language does not speak to someone who is going to push through early career adversity.  

I'm not blaming the coaches on this one.

There's a difference between an excuse and a reason.  Some people can't make the distinction, like you.  And then you take that "excuse" and you turn it into a lack of resiliency of the guy. 

Some players truly try to break down why they struggle and then try to make adjustments and refocus how they're going to get better.  And it's how effective coaches try to upcoach a young player.  First, by identifying the reasons or issues that may have effected development.  Then analyzing them and figuring out what to do different to improve performance. And then dedicating time and effort on those things, setting goals and working hard to get there.

Your expectations mean little when you have so little understanding of how players learn and develop.  Didn't you ever play or coach?  If you struggle with some something, do you just throw in the towel?  Do you listen to people, who have little understanding of your work, criticize and doubt you?  C'mon, think a little past your nose....

• Like 1