Head Coach Carousel

CouchKing

On 1/10/2022 at 9:56 AM, Mike030270 said:

There was a link saying Gannon could be sought after for a HC job. Doesn't make any sense but still lol

It's really about who Doug hires as coordinators

Well, fans don't hire head coaches.  Gannon is a young, upcoming coach with good experience and is well thought of in NFL coaching circles, if the reports are true.   He came to an eagles team with a defense that had huge issues and eventually got them playing well.....they're a playoff team and his chances will go higher if the eagles defense performs well.

6 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, fans don't hire head coaches.  Gannon is a young, upcoming coach with good experience and is well thought of in NFL coaching circles, if the reports are true.   He came to an eagles team with a defense that had huge issues and eventually got them playing well.....they're a playoff team and his chances will go higher if the eagles defense performs well.

Are they playing well or is it that just haven't played any good offenses?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That's overblown.  There are certain things the defense is doing now, some different players and some changes that Gannon has made that have improved the results.  We can't tell what those changes would have meant in the beginning of the year.

New defensive schemes usually show results after 6-8 games when guys become very clear on what they're required to do......and with the way the eagles schedule fell it's too simple to just assume that they only got better because of it.

The way the NFL is a high scoring event now, with loads of passing, there are about 4-5 plays a game where a defense can make the difference between a win and a loss.  Whether it be a turnover, critical sacks, no assignments missed, not taking stupid penalties and limiting 3rd down conversions, they all contribute to winning.  Not to mention offensive ball control.  The eagles didn't run the ball earlier in the season.....which forced Hurts to pass, and he wasn't as efficient as he is now.  The defense spent too much time on the field.

Those things have changed. Confidence gets built.  The eagles have the best rushing offense in the league.....and it give the defense a chance for more rest and defending a long field

We'll find out alot this weekend......they're healthy and Sirianni should run the ball a ton.  But Brady can carve any defense up.  That's why they have to keep him on the bench as much as possible. 

That doesn't make any sense.  Broncos would fire defensive guy for not getting the O rolling but did a mighty fine job on D...to get another defensive guy?

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I think it’s pretty clear why the Eagles are in the playoffs. Look at the last 8 games of the season (when they made their run). They went against THIRD string QBs 3 times (Giants, Saints, WFT), one rookie (Jets Wilson) and 4 starters (2-2 in those games with losses to Daniel Jones and Dak). The Broncos, Saints, and WFT (2Xs) defenses were ravaged by injuries. Feel free to toss out the second Dallas game, but they most likely would have kicked your butt regardless of who played. 

Congrats on the turnaround, but there was some luck involved. 

17 hours ago, JohnB said:

My perception of an article I read was that it was more of a personality conflict/clash than it was performance. 

I may have read the same article, it was on NFL.com I believe. I no longer see it. The gist of the article is that there was a power struggle between Flores and Chris Grier, the GM. Here's another article that I found interesting because there seem to be parallels between Grier/Flores and Roseman/Chip Kelly though Flores doesn't seem like a jerk, unlike Chip.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article257184862.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon confirms the Denver Broncos’ interest in him (msn.com)

Gannon is a candidate. Denver.

Gannon and Denver GM George Paton were both with Vikings 2014 to 2017.

Uh oh, better get Fangio on speed dial.

Regardless of whether or not Gannon is qualified, I suspect he interviews really well.  And when all else is said and done, that very well may carry the day.

My guess is that if the Eagles advance, he could very well be gone.

17 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I think it’s pretty clear why the Eagles are in the playoffs. Look at the last 8 games of the season (when they made their run). They went against THIRD string QBs 3 times (Giants, Saints, WFT), one rookie (Jets Wilson) and 4 starters (2-2 in those games with losses to Daniel Jones and Dak). The Broncos, Saints, and WFT (2Xs) defenses were ravaged by injuries. Feel free to toss out the second Dallas game, but they most likely would have kicked your butt regardless of who played. 

Congrats on the turnaround, but there was some luck involved. 

That part is a lie.  WFt had that one Covid game.  Otherwise you are talking about defenses that were playing pretty darn well when we faced them. Even the Covid game they had Allen and Sweat back.

12 hours ago, Procus said:

Regardless of whether or not Gannon is qualified, I suspect he interviews really well.  And when all else is said and done, that very well may carry the day.

My guess is that if the Eagles advance, he could very well be gone.

Well wait a minute, what if the Eagles advance winning 48-43?  Does he still get the job?  

If he can figure out a way to contain the TB offense to under 20 points?  10 points?  That's a different story.

Now I also don't believe the Eagles can beat Tampa Bay in Tampa....

On 1/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, nipples said:

Did I miss something with Judge? Last I heard the Giants already confidently said they were keeping him for next season. So not sure how Flores will be a Giant. He’s going to get another head coaching job. Probably be the first hire made. 

Whenever there is a GM change, assume the coach is getting canned.  

On 1/12/2022 at 6:58 AM, dawkins4prez said:

IMHO Doug's best fit is Raiders.  They have to think they were headed on the right track having made the playoffs.  With Doug you get a nicer version of Chuckie (same coaching tree/offensive philosophy) who can come in and oversee what they already have in place.  He also kinda fits the Raiders 2nd chances history.

I believe their interim HC is going to be promoted to full time HC.

6 hours ago, Vee said:

Well wait a minute, what if the Eagles advance winning 48-43?  Does he still get the job?  

If he can figure out a way to contain the TB offense to under 20 points?  10 points?  That's a different story.

Now I also don't believe the Eagles can beat Tampa Bay in Tampa....

Never know… supposed to be rainy with high winds. If it turns into a game where both teams are forced to run the ball, it plays into the Eagles hand perfectly. 

6 hours ago, Vee said:

Tampa scored 30+ points in all 4 playoff games last year.  Brady has scored 30+ in 11 of his last 14 playoff games.

Culley canned by the Texans.  Great result for the former Eagles WR coach.  He gets to leave that sheet show in Houston, pocket a few million, and if he wants to, kick back and take it easy in his golden years.  Wish him well.

7 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I believe their interim HC is going to be promoted to full time HC.

That team would be bonkers to do anything different.  The players seem to want to play for him, why upset the apple cart.  You could really do so much worse.

I'd sign him to a contract tomorrow!

• Like 1

The A list coach candidates should still talk to the Texans, but demand guaranteed multiyear money.

Predicting The Hires For 8 NFL Head Coaching Vacancies (msn.com)

Pederson to the Dolphins?

David Culley: NFL down to one Black head coach as Houston Texans fire head coach after just one season (msn.com)

Maybe it's just a coincidence that Flores and Culley get let go. Lots of coaches get let go. Their biggest sin is working for bad teams / organizations.

Article above predicts 3 coaches of color Bienemy, Leftwich, and Flores. 

The Texans are going to pay $22 million for 1 year of David Culley as head coach (msn.com)

Texans owe Culley $17mil over next 3 years. I'm crying for him. Poor guy.

Maybe Culley should consider a college program for a few years.

Maybe he should be an NFL analyst for FOX, CBS, ESPN, etc.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:40 AM, CouchKing said:

Predicting The Hires For 8 NFL Head Coaching Vacancies (msn.com)

Pederson to the Dolphins?

David Culley: NFL down to one Black head coach as Houston Texans fire head coach after just one season (msn.com)

Maybe it's just a coincidence that Flores and Culley get let go. Lots of coaches get let go. Their biggest sin is working for bad teams / organizations.

Article above predicts 3 coaches of color Bienemy, Leftwich, and Flores. 

The Texans are going to pay $22 million for 1 year of David Culley as head coach (msn.com)

Texans owe Culley $17mil over next 3 years. I'm crying for him. Poor guy.

Maybe Culley should consider a college program for a few years.

Maybe he should be an NFL analyst for FOX, CBS, ESPN, etc.

If Culley is owed $17 mil over the next 3 years, maybe he should consider a rocking chair. 66 years old and has coached for 45 years? Time to take a break if it were me. Maybe coach some sort of youth league or high school if he still enjoys it.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:16 PM, Vee said:

That team would be bonkers to do anything different.  The players seem to want to play for him, why upset the apple cart.  You could really do so much worse.

I'd sign him to a contract tomorrow!

Absolutely.  Or as soon as the Rooney Rule requirements are met. 

On 1/10/2022 at 8:36 AM, CouchKing said:

Bears Fire Head Coach Matt Nagy After Four Seasons (msn.com)

"Ohh, the humanity" (Quote from video of Hindenburg crashing.)

It's firing season in the NFL. Vicious. Non nonsense. "It's Monday. We need to let you go."

Not sure what happened in Chicago was Nagy's fault, but maybe he should have started Nick Foles.

I think Harbaugh has been linked to the Raiders as well