Head Coach Carousel

CouchKing

I wanted Todd Bowles for Philly.  I still think it would have been the better choice.  We would have been running the ball from day 1 , I can tell you that for sure..

19 hours ago, CouchKing said:

NFL World Reacts To Tuesday’s Kellen Moore News (msn.com)

Dallas OC Kellen Moore interviewing with Denver and Miami

I'd like Quinn and Moore to leave Dallas and then McCarthy to get fired.

If Kellen Moore gets a HC job over Bienemny or Leftwich the pitchforks will be out and rightfully so.  Same goes for freakin Jonathan Gannon over the likes of Flores, Bowles and Raheem Morris.  Most years it feels like teams have logical reasons to not hire the top black candidates, but not this year.  There is no way in hell at least half of these spots shouldn't go to a field of Black top tier candidates which is very clearly stronger than the field of white coaches.

I think that there are/were/was 1 or 2 premium guys in Harbaugh and maybe Pederson (I think I'm a little biased/too much of a fan of Doug, but he beat the Patriots 41-33 in the SB).

Then there are coaches with HC experience. Doug could fit here too, along with Flores, Bowles, Raheem Morris. Lots of former NFL coaches. They are thrown away like used tissues.

And, then there are OC / DC coordinators and whiz kids. There is always someone getting hyped. These guys get a shot as owners want the next great head coach.

The Rooney Rule gets a black coach an interview. Usually, just one. This year, maybe some teams interview more than one black coach. That would be positive. 

NFL teams work around the Rooney Rule and do what they want. They go through the motions of an interview.

Some black coaches get a real shot.

Mike Tomlin, Tony Dungee have lead top flight franchises. Art Shell with the Raiders. Dennis Green with the Vikings.

In order to get a HC position some of the black coaches have coached the worst franchises in the NFL. This does not in turn help their resume.

Flores should get a shot. Bowles maybe(is he tired of winning SuperBowls with TB?). Maybe Morris.

Then the whiz kids. Good news is that a couple black coaches Bienemy and Leftwich (he will miss TB as well) are being considered for their first shot.

I think more black coaches are getting opportunities as OC / DC and more shots at HC jobs. It's been an uphill battle.

what I meant to say is that 3 GM candidates for the Giants all like Dan Quinn for HC of Giants, reportedly.

31 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

I still don't understand how Gannon is desired lol.

Maybe he'd be a better head coach than defensive coordinator.

6 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

He's killing it at interviews.  Probably a great kisser too.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Maybe he'd be a better head coach than defensive coordinator.

That's an interesting take. He does seem bright.

I don't understand the fascination with getting the next underqualified wunderkind HC.  When was the last time one of those actually won the SB?  Mike Tomlin? Sean Payton?  All I see is the likes of McDermott, LeFleur, Zac Taylor and McVay underperforming in the biggest spots with the best rosters in football.

Maybe the NFL owners and GMs use external consultants to help identify coaching prospects across former HC's, OC & DC, college HC, and whiz kids

Former HC's have been exposed. Flaws are known.

Then NFL orgs want the best minds, best leaders, best player development coaches, potential winners . . . lots of speculation, like a lottery

16 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

The Texans were dumb enough to hire David Culley so… shouldn’t be a surprise. 

38 minutes ago, nipples said:

The Texans were dumb enough to hire David Culley so… shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Culley did a good job with what he had to work with. They gave him the worst roster and he won 4 games.

19 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Maybe the NFL owners and GMs use external consultants to help identify coaching prospects across former HC's, OC & DC, college HC, and whiz kids

Former HC's have been exposed. Flaws are known.

Then NFL orgs want the best minds, best leaders, best player development coaches, potential winners . . . lots of speculation, like a lottery

Ohreally?  Then riddle me why 8/10 of the last Super bowls were won by "retread" hires?  Andy Reid/Arians/Bellicheck/Caroll/Kubiak/Coughlin.  Dougie P was hardly a wunderkind, just a vet coordinator who had paid his dues.  You'd have to go back to the Ravens and Harbaugh who was arguably brought in as a wunderkind way back when and won his SB in his 5th year at the helm at age 50.