Head Coach Carousel

CouchKing

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Ohreally?  Then riddle me why 8/10 of the last Super bowls were won by "retread" hires?  Andy Reid/Arians/Bellicheck/Caroll/Kubiak/Coughlin.  Dougie P was hardly a wunderkind, just a vet coordinator who had paid his dues.  You'd have to go back to the Ravens and Harbaugh who was arguably brought in as a wunderkind way back when and won his SB in his 5th year at the helm at age 50.

If you take Belichick off the list, how many do you have left.  Like Brady, he's the outlier.  Not really useful to build this argument.

Yeah...it tends not to work out, but fans are probably more excited about fresh blood, rather than bringing in someone else's show.

Reid and Coughlin were two coaches that are rarely available.  Just timing.  Those kinds of coaches are not available every offseason.

Caroll was a disaster in NY.  I never thought he'd be back in the NFL.  That was a gutsy call the Seahawks made.

That's all I got.

53 minutes ago, Vee said:

If you take Belichick off the list, how many do you have left.  Like Brady, he's the outlier.  Not really useful to build this argument.

Yeah...it tends not to work out, but fans are probably more excited about fresh blood, rather than bringing in someone else's show.

Reid and Coughlin were two coaches that are rarely available.  Just timing.  Those kinds of coaches are not available every offseason.

Caroll was a disaster in NY.  I never thought he'd be back in the NFL.  That was a gutsy call the Seahawks made.

That's all I got.

That's the point, Belichick is the rule not the outlier.  Retreads are winning ALL the SB's.  You have yet to explain Kubiak or Arians, two grey haired OC's that bounced as HC's and then won on 2nd stints.  As retread as retread gets.

Some retreads are good, but not all former HC get a chance to HC again. Because they suck.

Off topic, but these articles, sports or otherwise, need to stop with these "The world reacts to _____"  articles.  It's cheap.

9 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Sean Payton explains stepping away from Saints: Biggest takeaways from coach's farewell to New Orleans (msn.com)

But where will he go? I hope not Dallas.

But didn't the Eagles beat the Saints this year?

Hope about Al Michaels going back to ABC and pairing Payton with Michaels for MNF and getting rid of that awful announcing crew currently in place?

7 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Off topic, but these articles, sports or otherwise, need to stop with these "The world reacts to _____"  articles.  It's cheap.

Yes. damn clickbate headlines. Click here to get news about so and so. 

that's not how you write headlines, damn it

On 1/24/2022 at 9:22 AM, dawkins4prez said:

That's the point, Belichick is the rule not the outlier.  Retreads are winning ALL the SB's.  You have yet to explain Kubiak or Arians, two grey haired OC's that bounced as HC's and then won on 2nd stints.  As retread as retread gets.

Kubiak won because of Denver's defense - not because of Peyton Manning or Kubiak's own coaching acumen.  Another coach could have won the SB with that team that year.

Arians won because he's got good players and Brady pushed the team over the top.  Arians is also a good coach.

Reid is far from a retread - it's not like he's been in and out coaching jobs for years.

Dougie was no coaching retread.  The Eagles were his first pro head coaching job.

I still don't get your point.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:22 PM, CouchKing said:

Sean Payton explains stepping away from Saints: Biggest takeaways from coach's farewell to New Orleans (msn.com)

But where will he go? I hope not Dallas.

But didn't the Eagles beat the Saints this year?

Maybe it’s different with coaches, but couldn’t the Saints technically refuse to let him coach anywhere else because he still had another year on his contract? I know with players, if they "retire” then want to come back, they’re still held to their previous contract if they had one. New Orleans should hold his rights as long as he never completed his contract. 

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Maybe it’s different with coaches, but couldn’t the Saints technically refuse to let him coach anywhere else because he still had another year on his contract? I know with players, if they "retire” then want to come back, they’re still held to their previous contract if they had one. New Orleans should hold his rights as long as he never completed his contract. 

It depends what was in his contract. He may have an opt out, a clean break. He may have no restrictions on where he goes or what he does.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Yes.  If the Cowboys want Payton for '22 they will have to negotiate a draft pick to the Saints.  I don't see any reason for the Saints to be bashful about asking for a 2nd day pick.

33 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yes.  If the Cowboys want Payton for '22 they will have to negotiate a draft pick to the Saints.  I don't see any reason for the Saints to be bashful about asking for a 2nd day pick.

Or if they reallllly hate the Cowboys they can just tell them to F off. Which would be awesome.