Flores sues NFL for racism in hiring process

wrestlevessel

Apparently they hired that Bills guy and the interviews with Patrick Graham and Brian Flores were fake. Flores is pissed and firing a lawsuit against the NFL. I knew the Giants were racist because they have never had a black start QB or black head coach.

Get your popcorn out folks.  This one should be a doozie!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33194862/brian-flores-sues-nfl-others-former-miami-dolphins-coach-alleges-racism-hiring-practices

Brian Flores sues NFL, three teams, as former Miami Dolphins coach alleges racism in hiring practices

Marcel Louis-JacquesESPN

Brian Flores has sued the NFL and three teams -- the Dolphins, the Broncos and the Giants -- alleging discrimination regarding his interview processes with Denver and New York and his firing last month by Miami.

The 58-page lawsuit was filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday and seeks class-action status.

In it, Flores claims Dolphins owner Stephen Ross attempted to incentivize him to "tank," or purposely lose games, shortly after he was hired in 2019, with Ross allegedly offering Flores $100,000 for every loss that season. Flores says that as the team won games late in the season, Dolphins general manager Chris Grier told him Ross was "mad" that Flores' on-field success was "compromising [the team's] draft position."

Additionally, Flores claims Ross pressured him into recruiting a "prominent quarterback" at the end of the 2019 season, which Flores refused so as not to violate the NFL's rules on tampering. Ross then allegedly invited Flores onto a yacht for lunch in the winter of 2020, where he informed him that the quarterback was "conveniently" arriving at the marina for an impromptu meeting.

Flores again refused the meeting and left the yacht. Afterward, Flores claims he was "treated with disdain and held out as someone who was noncompliant and difficult to work with."

Brian Flores Sues NFL, 3 Teams

r968706_600x400_3-2.jpg

Former Miami coach Brian Flores has sued the NFL and 3 teams -- the Dolphins, Giants and Broncos -- alleging racism in hiring practices. Among his allegations: Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered him $100,000 per loss in 2019 to help with the team's draft position, and that the Giants and Broncos conducted "sham" interviews with him in order to comply with the Rooney Rule. The full lawsuit can be found here.

He was eventually fired on Jan. 10, 2022, despite recording the franchise's first back-to-back winning seasons since 2003 (10-6 in 2020; 9-8 in 2021).

Flores also alleged the Giants interviewed him last month for their head-coaching vacancy for no other reason than compliance with the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates for their open positions.

Flores claims he interviewed with the Giants on Jan. 18, prior to the team hiring former Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen as its GM on Jan. 23. He claims that the next day Schoen finalized his interview date for Jan. 27 and Giants co-director of player personnel Tim McDonnell texted Flores, saying he hoped he would "come in and win the f-ing job."

However, hours later, Flores' lawsuit alleges, he received a series of text messages from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, under whom Flores worked for 10 years in New England. In those texts, Belichick told Flores he had heard from "Buffalo and NYG that you are their guy."

Flores then asked Belichick to clarify whether he meant to talk to him or Brian Daboll, who was also in the running for the Giants' job. Belichick then acknowledged his error and informed him that the Giants wanted Daboll.

"Sorry -- I f---ed this up. I double checked and misread the text. I think they are naming Brian Daboll. I'm sorry about that," Belichick texted.

Flores alleges that his ensuing interview with the Giants was a "sham." New York hired Daboll, the former Bills offensive coordinator, several days later.

Flores also claims a similar scenario occurred when he interviewed with the Broncos for their open head-coaching job in 2019. Flores alleges that then-Denver general manager John Elway, among others, arrived to the interview an hour late and hungover -- as he claimed they had been "drinking heavily the night before."

The Giants, Dolphins and Broncos all responded separately to the allegations later Tuesday.

The Giants said they are "pleased and confident" with the process.

"We interviewed an impressive and diverse group of candidates," the team said. "The fact of the matter is, Brian Flores was in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour. Ultimately, we hired the individual we felt was most qualified to be our next head coach."

The Dolphins "vehemently" denied the allegations against them," while noting they are "proud of the diversity and inclusion throughout our organization."

"The implication that we acted in a manner inconsistent with the integrity of the game is incorrect," the team said.

And the Broncos detailed their Jan. 5, 2019, interview with Flores, noting it started promptly at 7:30 a.m. in Providence, R.I., lasted 3.5 hours and was conducted with five team executives.

"Pages of detailed notes, analysis and evaluations from our interview demonstrate the depth of our conversation and sincere interest in Mr. Flores as a head coaching candidate," the team said. "Our process was thorough and fair to determine the most qualified candidate for our head coaching position.

"The Broncos will vigorously defend the integrity and values of our organization -- and its employees -- from such baseless and disparaging claims."

Denver ultimately hired Vic Fangio for the position.

In the lawsuit, Flores' law firm, Wigdor Law LLP, said the coach hopes to "shine a light on the racial injustices that take place inside the NFL."

Among the areas he said he'd like to see addressed:

• Increase influence of Black individuals in hiring

• Increase the objectivity of hiring/terminating GMs, head coaches and coordinators

• Increase the number of Black coordinators

• Incentivize hiring/retention of Black GMs, head coaches and coordinators

• Transparency of pay for GMs, head coaches and coordinators

The lawsuit also seeks unspecified damages from the league, which responded to the lawsuit later Tuesday.

"The NFL and our clubs are deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices and continue to make progress in providing equitable opportunities throughout our organizations," it said in a statement. "Diversity is core to everything we do, and there are few issues on which our clubs and our internal leadership team spend more time. We will defend against these claims, which are without merit."

Flores, who turns 41 later this month, also had been tied to head-coaching vacancies with the Houston Texans and New Orleans Saints since his firing by the Dolphins. New Orleans interviewed him for its head-coaching vacancy Tuesday, per ESPN's Mike Triplett.

"God has gifted me with a special talent to coach the game of football, but the need for change is bigger than my personal goals," Flores said in a release put out by the Wigdor firm. "In making the decision to file the class action complaint today, I understand that I may be risking coaching the game that I love and that has done so much for my family and me. My sincere hope is that by standing up against systemic racism in the NFL, others will join me to ensure that positive change is made for generations to come."

The Rooney Rule was created to give more minority candidates opportunities to become a head coach and reward teams who develop them.

In 2020, the NFL amended the rule to stipulate teams must interview at least two minority candidates not associated with their own team for a head-coaching vacancy. Also, one minority candidate has to be interviewed for coordinator positions as well as high-ranking positions in the front office, including the general-manager role.

According to the lawsuit, only one of the NFL's 32 teams currently employs a Black head coach, only four of them employ a Black offensive coordinator and only 11 employ a Black defensive coordinator.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

The crap is hitting the fan! 

He says Elway and owner were hungover during his interview.

claims Dolphins owner Stephen Ross asked him to tamper to try to get Brady there. Also says he offered $100k for every loss to entice him to rank and get a higher draft pick.   

he’s never gonna work again.  But damn, good for him to speak out and air all the dirty laundry. 

1 hour ago, DBW said:

He says Elway and owner were hungover during his interview.

THAT SUCKS AND NO EXCUSE FOR IT.  MAN IS COMING TO INTERVIEW FOR AN IMPORTANT JOB, HE SHOULD BE TREATED RESPECTFULLY

claims Dolphins owner Stephen Ross asked him to tamper to try to get Brady there. Also says he offered $100k for every loss to entice him to rank and get a higher draft pick.   

CAN YOU BLAME ROSS FOR TRYING TO TANK FOR JOE BURROW?  SHOULD HAVE NO BEARING ON THE RACISM CLAIM EITHER.

he’s never gonna work again.  But damn, good for him to speak out and air all the dirty laundry. 

HE WILL SETTLE FOR A VERY LARGE SUM.  FLORES MUST HAVE BEEN ONE PITA TO WORK WITH.  I CAN SEE WHY HE WAS FIRED.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Procus said:

This season he was also being pressured to sit Tua and was trying to be baited into saying if they traded for Watson that he would immediately be the starter.  He held to his word and kept Tua when healthy and didn’t bite on the Watson crap.  He was treated poorly even taking race out of it.  

As a black man, I often wonder what it is about the NFL as an institution that keeps my brothers and sisters invested in it. Look, I can get down with supporting the individual players as a justification; after all, they've worked their butts off to fulfil their childhood dreams and support their often poor families.

But why pour time and money into it? Why celebrate an American institution that is so steeped in its disregard for black people, and by extension its black stakeholders, that they would deprave players and coaches of their right to fair employment? And mind you, this is done all while they maintain this veneer of inclusivity and diversity in the form of empty rhetoric and symbolism. To ignore all the microagressions, the gaslighting, the racism...and instead reward them with your time and attention? I can only speak for one person -- myself -- and I'll repeat what I posted a year or more ago in explaining my long absence: the NFL is not for me.

It's been a while since I engaged regularly with folks on here. If there are any other brothers and sisters on here, the floor is yours.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rstarter said:

As a black man, I often wonder what it is about the NFL as an institution that keeps my brothers and sisters invested in it. Look, I can get down with supporting the individual players as a justification; after all, they've worked their butts off to fulfil their childhood dreams and support their often poor families.

But why pour time and money into it? Why celebrate an American institution that is so steeped in its disregard for black people, and by extension its black stakeholders, that they would deprave players and coaches of their right to fair employment? And mind you, this is done all while they maintain this veneer of inclusivity and diversity in the form of empty rhetoric and symbolism. To ignore all the microagressions, the gaslighting, the racism...and instead reward them with your time and attention? I can only speak for one person -- myself -- and I'll repeat what I posted a year or more ago in explaining my long absence: the NFL is not for me.

It's been a while since I engaged regularly with folks on here. If there are any other brothers and sisters on here, the floor is yours.

If you want to see a more diverse group of nfl coaches and gm’s I think you Will need to get some black nfl owners come into the fold. And further more have success in the league.   

until then it really is a  good ole boys network for the most part

Regardless of that,  i still haven’t heard a where he was discriminated against in this specific instance  

.  All I’ve heard is a bunch of in-house dirty laundry being aired out by a recently fired head coach who obviously isn’t so much interested in working in the nfl again.  

I mean if your going to risk your career and call out Owners and gm’s you betting bring something juicier to the table than elway was drunk or the owner wanted to lose games for a higher draft pick or that they really really wanted Tom Brady.   That isn’t enough of a hand to throw all your chips in

jesus man.  He is committing professional suicide.   

The NFL deserves this mess and I hope Flores wins his case... The Rooney rule is a joke and in my opinion insulting to minority candidates... I agree everyone deserves a fair shot but they went about it wrong... Personally if I were a minority candidate im not even sure id want to go for an interview simply because I wouldn't want to question if they felt I was a viable choice or they were just trying to satisfy the Rooney rule... It needs to go... The right person should be hired regardless of race or even gender... The only thing I think is a bigger joke now is being awarded draft capital for hiring minorities or gender... I'm really starting to hate the NFL more and more... All that being said I thought Flores was a pretty good coach... By far and away better than that clown Adam Gase 

Wonder if that’s why Broncos are up for sale.

Broncos announce they are officially on the market

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos are looking for a new owner in what’s expected to be the most expensive team sale in U.S. sports history.

The Pat D. Bowlen Trust announced Tuesday it’s in the "beginning of a sale process” for a franchise that’s valued at $4 billion and is expected to draw heavy bidding that could push the sale price well beyond that figure.

The highest price paid for a U.S. sports franchise is the $2.35 billion Alibaba Group cofounder and Canadian billionaire Joe Tsai paid for the Brooklyn Nets in 2019. The last NFL team to go up for sale was the Carolina Panthers, whom David Tepper bought for $2.275 billion.

The trustees who run the Broncos hope to have a new owner in place by the start of next season.

Just now, Talkingbirds said:

Wonder if that’s why Broncos are up for sale.

Broncos announce they are officially on the market

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos are looking for a new owner in what’s expected to be the most expensive team sale in U.S. sports history.

The Pat D. Bowlen Trust announced Tuesday it’s in the "beginning of a sale process” for a franchise that’s valued at $4 billion and is expected to draw heavy bidding that could push the sale price well beyond that figure.

The highest price paid for a U.S. sports franchise is the $2.35 billion Alibaba Group cofounder and Canadian billionaire Joe Tsai paid for the Brooklyn Nets in 2019. The last NFL team to go up for sale was the Carolina Panthers, whom David Tepper bought for $2.275 billion.

The trustees who run the Broncos hope to have a new owner in place by the start of next season.

Broncos are up for sale because Bowlen kids are fighting over it. His daughter is interested in buying them still. It's a shame a good organization like the Broncos will be sold to some jagoff. Hopefully his daughter gets a piece of the team and Peyton gets a good chunk

• Like 1

Flores might as well take a settlement. Clearly the chips were stacked against him landing another head coaching job. The lawsuit will make sure he never works in the NFL again.

It's about time somebody called out the sham process of the Rooney Rule. It's a shame Flores had to tank his career to get anyone to pay attention.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rstarter said:

Spoiler

R.501f88b38ae7cb851328c69fab56cdf7?rik=V

So if I have this straight.....

Giants settle on their guy

Giants keep a sham interview Flores to fulfil the requirement of interviewing a minority candidate

Flores finds out and sues the NFL

This seems like this was the most logical end game of the Rooney Rule.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GA4M said:

Boogy, are you still angry over that last game?

The last Giants game? Why would that have angered me, it was hilarious.

6 minutes ago, paco said:

So if I have this straight.....

Giants settle on their guy

Giants keep a sham interview Flores to fulfil the requirement of interviewing a minority candidate

Flores finds out and sues the NFL

This seems like this was the most logical end game of the Rooney Rule.

there are definitely issues with the Rooney Rule. and the Giants should go down for getting caught making a mockery of it, trotting this guy in there when 3 days prior he got the wrong text from Belichick, intended for Daboll, congratulating him on the job. But lets play along with this Rooney Rule anyway, waste this black guys time and embarrass him, and sometimes even show up an hour late or hungover to these things. It's disrespectful and insulting and not what the rule was intended for. So anyone who wasn't taking it seriously (NYG, DEN) needs to get a nice fine and penalty for it. 

• Like 1

Idiot.

You don't sue the NFL and then get a job in the NFL.

Kapernick sued the NFL, right? Anyone hear from him lately?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

there are definitely issues with the Rooney Rule. and the Giants should go down for getting caught making a mockery of it, trotting this guy in there when 3 days prior he got the wrong text from Belichick, intended for Daboll, congratulating him on the job. But lets play along with this Rooney Rule anyway, waste this black guys time and embarrass him, and sometimes even show up an hour late or hungover to these things. It's disrespectful and insulting and not what the rule was intended for. So anyone who wasn't taking it seriously (NYG, DEN) needs to get a nice fine and penalty for it. 

Problem is, in general, that is tricky to prove.

I thought I saw something where there was a noticeable uptick in assistant coaches who are black.  So maybe it is working, just not the immediate results some are hoping for?

11 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Idiot.

You don't sue the NFL and then get a job in the NFL.

Kapernick sued the NFL, right? Anyone hear from him lately?

He was also a lousy QB who thought he deserved to be a starter and refused to take a backup job.

Flores, however, did a pretty damn good job righting the ship in Miami.  His firing was head scratching at the time and now this sheds light a little more on the obstacles there.  

Who wants to bet that the NYG accusation gets swept under the rug but the (fact?) that Miami tried to incentive him to tank will cause the Dolphins to face repercussions?

• Like 1

I would think the NFL has its hands full here.  The league has to juggle the court of public opinion with what goes on in a court of law.  There MAY be a lesser standard to pass in court, but the league would have to reconcile that with the image it portrays in public.  At the end of the day, the numbers don't lie here.  And that's irrespective of whether or not any one of us believes, or whether the legal standard requires, minimum race based hired standards.  The NFL portrays itself as a progressive organization that instituted the Rooney Rule to promote the hiring of black head coaches and executives.  It's clear that the rule by and large is abused and for the most part, under the current head coaching numbers in the league, is a sham.  I think when all of this shakes out, at the very least, the league will have a lot of egg on its face.  At worst,  a hornets nest with financial and labor turmoil.