Flores sues NFL for racism in hiring process

wrestlevessel

2 hours ago, Toty said:

Sorting themselves out, meaning, to hire based on race?

There are 32 NFL teams, so until at least 22 of them have black head coaches there's something fundamentally, systemically wrong?

All of this in spite of the fact that black men make up 14% of the US population. So, they're overrepresented by a factor of 5 as players, by a factor of 3 as assistant coaches, but somehow that gap between 9% and 14% is some kind of travesty.

I think the 14% is the total population. Someone on WIP said 12% total, 6% male.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think what they probably expected was the owners to take it as a cue to finally sort themselves out, currently 69% of NFL players are non white, but only 35% of assistant coaches and 9% of head coaches are. That is an impossible ratio to arrive at based on skills and aptitude alone, it just is.

African Americans are 12% of the population and are, by your numbers, about 35% of assistant coaches and 9% of head coaches for 2021.  So the head coaches are just a bit under what you'd expect at the assistants are far over.

Football has the most wide appeal of any sport in the country, best representing a normal sampling of the population.  So why are we saying that African Americans are under-represented as NFL head coaches?  Simply because they are over-represented as players?  Well, is that a problem that we should look into?

On 2/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, DBW said:

I’d also say that bill didn’t accidentally send him those texts, it was intentional to give him the heads up.  He was forewarning Flores that he wasn’t getting the job.  This crap is deep and I hope that Flores doesn’t back down from anything.  

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Belichick updates contacts: White Brian Black Brian GIF NFL'

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Toty said:

But the Rooney rule is token interviews. That's the whole rule. You have to go find a black guy to interview. What did they expect? The rule doesn't say who you have to hire.

Correct it doesn’t say who they have to hire, but if I’m not mistaken, I’d you hire a black coach then you get compensated in the form of extra picks, so they are incentivized to hire them, which is telling that even being compensated they don’t hire them.  Either they’re super racist or they truly don’t feel they’re the best candidates.  

this brings up a whole nother debate, outside of football, in various businesses and industries similar things happen and similar incentives exists.  For example, if you’re a minority or woman owned business, in certain industries you get weighted more heavily in public procurement bids.  So all else being equal, businesses or government agencies will favor MWE and award bids to those companies because they get tax breaks and/or kickbacks or other perks.  It happens all the time.  It’s actually incredibly unethical in every way, except it’s overlooked because they’re helping MWE businesses.  And on the flip side, if I was a woman or minority and only getting business because of that and not because I’m qualified or have a better product, or did a better pitch, then I’d feel less about myself.  I wouldn’t want anything given to me because of that.  

Just now, DBW said:

The internet will never tank. This is fantastic! 

Yeah. All these years and I never realized they kinda look alike lol.

18 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

Yeah. All these years and I never realized they kinda look alike lol.

Maybe you’re still drunk too?  They both kinda look like Emma Watson if you’re drunk enough  😂 

12 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Whoa there hoss, 70 years after baseball decided that it was racist, you want to start football's **** League? In the year of our lord 2022?  This is a joke right?

I couldn't give a crap if John Mara claims to have black friends out the wazoo, if they had offered Daboll the job before they interviewed Flores they were ass covering about the Rooney rule rather than applying it and they should be called out on it, and I think Howie and the Eagles should have been called out more seriously for giving Duce token interviews in '16 and '21, and before anyone tries to point to what Duce said about his interview process with the Eagles, I'd refer you to the 'uppity Flores should've gone along to get along and not killed his career' posts running through this thread, the NFL did call the Eagles about the 2016 interview being a Rooney rule get out.

Black America today is different than Black America when we had **** Leagues.  What am throwing out there is that if a group of high powered black businessmen and sportsmen got together and formed a professional football league largely owned by black interests, it could be a very entertaining league if there was decent enough start up money to lure away some star power.  Would not surprise me if a sweet TV deal could be had, or some other medium.  The AFL and AAFC demonstrated that the best way to beat the NFL is go against them and have them absorb the league after a few years.  Who out there doesn't think that this could be something very interesting and entertaining to follow - especially in contrast to Goodell's No Fun League.

The Giants put out a pretty definitive statement. They basically told Flores and his knucklehead lawyers to go kick rocks. 

• Haha 1

Late to this convo, but good for him for risking his future as a coach for something bigger. He def has validity to his claim and I hope it marks real change 

4 hours ago, homerpat said:

Late to this convo, but good for him for risking his future as a coach for something bigger. He def has validity to his claim and I hope it marks real change 

Way too late, this board has apparently determined that the NFL is racist to white people.

I think it’s a good thing to shine a light on the Rooney rule which while it seems was implemented with the best of intentions, it doesn’t seem to have had the desired result. 

The one claim I have an issue with is claiming that the Broncos executives appeared hungover. If any of us suggested a future or current boss was hungover how well do we think that would go ? Also, the broncos put out a statement pushing back on his claims and said amongst other things that the interview slot was the only one they could get, so presumably there’s communications between the broncos and Flores team to back that up. it’s that there is likely evidence to back up with the broncos have said in their statement.

The Giants are setting out their interview timeline and Blaming miserable Bill for making Flores think there was some shady business.

2 hours ago, EaglesIreland said:

I think it’s a good thing to shine a light on the Rooney rule which while it seems was implemented with the best of intentions, it doesn’t seem to have had the desired result. 

The one claim I have an issue with is claiming that the Broncos executives appeared hungover. If any of us suggested a future or current boss was hungover how well do we think that would go ? Also, the broncos put out a statement pushing back on his claims and said amongst other things that the interview slot was the only one they could get, so presumably there’s communications between the broncos and Flores team to back that up. it’s that there is likely evidence to back up with the broncos have said in their statement.

The Giants are setting out their interview timeline and Blaming miserable Bill for making Flores think there was some shady business.

The Broncos literally just had a black head coach before Fangio coach.... So they are racist this time but not the time before? 

Rooney rule is the problem here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The Broncos literally just had a black head coach before Fangio coach.... So they are racist this time but not the time before? 

Rooney rule is the problem here. 

I think that teams are allowed to technically abide by it but not actually using it as intended.

reading through the allegations, I'm not sure Flores has a case based on racial bias...

in the case of Miami, it seems that the endgame was to tank regardless of who was steering the ship, and to engage in collusion..to which Flores , rightfully, refused to participate in..IOW he wouldn't do what his boss wanted despite the unethical/illegal nature of the actions
...as such... "You're Fired!!" (sound familiar?)

as far as Denver and NYG....

Denver's actions were disrespectful and the Giants were indeed fulfilling a directive ordered by the league....so in either case I'm not sure that bias exists..he might have felt disrespected...but that doesn't immediately indicate racial bias..at least on the surface...it seems like a tough position to litigate....

let me be clear that I am completely ignorant in regards to litigation and judicial matters...

Also i know it’s a class action lawsuit so others can join but maybe Hue Jackson isn’t the best person to say he was also offered money to lose games as HC of the browns, and given that only won 1 game in just over two seasons doesn’t help. He was being a lot of money to WIN games and didn’t do that. 

This could throw a monkey wrench into the lawsuit - and remember that arbitration proceedings are conducted in secret.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/arbitration-clause-could-quickly-derail-the-brian-flores-lawsuit/

Arbitration clause could quickly derail the Brian Flores lawsuit

Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2022, 11:14 AM EST

If tanking gets exposed as a widespread phenomenon..then the NFL would have to switch to the lottery system that the NHL currently uses....

12 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

If tanking gets exposed as a widespread phenomenon..then the NFL would have to switch to the lottery system that the NHL currently uses....

True.  Ever since the NBA put in the lottery tanking has all but been eliminated.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I know everybody wants to pile on the Rooney Rule but what is the alternative?  going back to black coaches not even getting an interview?  I have to say the Flores lawsuit rings true to me, something is definitely wrong.  Why is there such a huge trend of hiring 30 something coahces but the only black guy to get hired underqualified like that EVER is Mike Tomlin?  Why do black HC's almost never get a 2nd shot while white HC's get recycled like Fuji water bottles?  White HC gets chances all over the spectrum while black HC have to put their dues in for an extra decade, get a shot with a bad rebuliding team and then get axed back into coordinator status forever?

it's been like this for decades, it's not coincidence.  And to top it off black HC's have pretty much the exact same failure/success rate as the white ones.  WTF gives?

• Like 1