Free agency: Howie is shopping for bargains

Rob331

It's been quiet since the Reddick signing and understandably so. The Eagles had about $24M to spend. Kelce got $15M but with Howie's contract finagling it's probably about $5M. Same thing with Riddick's $15M - probably about $5M cap hit this year. So - that leaves about $14M. 

Herbig, Ward, and Chachere probably cost them about $5M total - now we're at $8M

Draft picks are going to cost about $5M - that leaves $3M

$3M is a bit less than the amount teams want to have for contingencies throughout the season. 

Bottom line - they are probably done making splashes. Look for some cap saving gymnastics and a couple of bargain signings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chark going to the Lions for 10 mil was upsetting

• Like 1

Kelce's cap hit is only $6.5M for 2022.  There are 3 dummy years (2023-2025) added to spread out the prorated bonus.  

• Like 2

howie can go F a goat!!! moved to be made and he is sitting their with his thumb up his butt!!! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Howie is doing just fine. Got a premier pass rusher on a relatively reasonable contract. Other teams are going crazy, but lots of good players left at positions of need. Let the market play out.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Jarvis Landry? Myles Jack? Don't interrupt my likely futile hopes 

Jack is available???

I actually will praise Howie here. Got a very good player without breaking the bank and otherwise not reaching or over paying. You build through the draft and only supplement in free agency. 

Of course they don't have as much cap room because of Howie, and don't draft well because of Howie but at least don't overpay in free agency just to satisfy fans wanting action.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Jack is available???

Jacksonville is releasing him. 

2 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

Jacksonville is releasing him. 

Has he not had a good stint there? I wanted philly to draft him. Havent followed JAX at all other than when Foles played.

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

13 mil is what I saw reported.

Apparently the Eagles put in a similar bid as the Ravens for S Marcus WIlliams, but he preferred the Ravens offer.

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

It's been quiet since the Reddick signing and understandably so. The Eagles had about $24M to spend. Kelce got $15M but with Howie's contract finagling it's probably about $5M. Same thing with Riddick's $15M - probably about $5M cap hit this year. So - that leaves about $14M. 

Herbig, Ward, and Chachere probably cost them about $5M total - now we're at $8M

Draft picks are going to cost about $5M - that leaves $3M

$3M is a bit less than the amount teams want to have for contingencies throughout the season. 

Bottom line - they are probably done making splashes. Look for some cap saving gymnastics and a couple of bargain signings. 

Technically Day 1 has not even started yet. Free Agency officially begins tomorrow. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Apparently the Eagles put in a similar bid as the Ravens for S Marcus WIlliams, but he preferred the Ravens offer.

I have a hard time believing this FO would ever spend the kind of money on a safety that Baltimore did (5 yrs/$70M, AAV of $14M).  

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

10 mil and probably won't play the whole season. Good deal for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I actually will praise Howie here. Got a very good player without breaking the bank and otherwise not reaching or over paying. You build through the draft and only supplement in free agency. 

Of course they don't have as much cap room because of Howie, and don't draft well because of Howie but at least don't overpay in free agency just to satisfy fans wanting action.

From trading for every available quarterback to assuming the Eagles we’re signing everyone the fans had ridiculously high hopes for this off-season. A roster full of bad contracts and declining older players can not afford to make a lot of big splashes. Most of the issues are on Howie just as you have mentioned. They told us this was a retool/rebuild. That doesn’t happen in one season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

From trading for every available quarterback to assuming the Eagles we’re signing everyone the fans had ridiculously high hopes for this off-season. A roster full of bad contracts and declining older players can not afford to make a lot of big splashes. Most of the issues are on Howie just as you have mentioned. They told us this was a retool/rebuild. That doesn’t happen in one season. 

Same sheet different season, what else is new? I don't want them signing a bunch of free agents, they need to fix their drafting first if they are going to do this properly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Has he not had a good stint there? I wanted philly to draft him. Havent followed JAX at all other than when Foles played.

He led the team in tackles but had a rough season by his standards.  The team transitioned to a 3-4 defense so a switch back to a 4-3 should help him.  I think he'll garner a lot of attention and we have limited funds but it would be nice. 

11 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Howie is doing just fine. Got a premier pass rusher on a relatively reasonable contract. Other teams are going crazy, but lots of good players left at positions of need. Let the market play out.

Howie is not doing just fine but it is also still very early days. But look the reality is he's not going to be able to add a good FA WR at this point and he sucks at skill positions in the draft. Hardly an ideal situation. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Same sheet different season, what else is new? I don't want them signing a bunch of free agents, they need to fix their drafting first if they are going to do this properly. 

So what you’re saying is you want Howie to NAIL THE DRAFT! 😂🤣😂🤣🤪

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme this off-season that guys just don’t want to come to the Eagles. Seems like players see this roster and they just don’t think they’re capable of winning and that includes all of these quarterbacks people have been fawning over too.

39 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme this off-season that guys just don’t want to come to the Eagles. Seems like players see this roster and they just don’t think they’re capable of winning and that includes all of these quarterbacks people have been fawning over too.

After 42 hours of tampering period you have diagnosed a recurring theme?  As far as we know the Eagles had real interest in two players so far, Reddick, who signed,  and Williams who didn't.   Meanwhile players are flocking to the Jaguars based on their stellar roster and magnificently run organization?  

Money is talking loud and clear should be the main recurring theme.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Where did you come up with this number ??

Based on last years numbers for rookies, our draft picks are projected to cost 15.7 million

https://overthecap.com/draft/

People always massively underestimate what draft picks cost to sign for some reason, I expect Slay and Hargraves deals to be restructured to convert some of their base salary to bonus to give some extra cap room, Brooks will take one of the post June 1st slots for his retirement to ease that burden.

We just signed Reddick, we have Sweat on the books and a good draft at DE coming up,  I think there's a chance Graham takes the other June 1st designation, he's 34 coming off a major injury and is expensive for what looks like will be a rotational role going forward.

26 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

After 42 hours of tampering period you have diagnosed a recurring theme?  As far as we know the Eagles had real interest in two players so far, Reddick, who signed,  and Williams who didn't.   Meanwhile players are flocking to the Jaguars based on their stellar roster and magnificently run organization?  

Money is talking loud and clear should be the main recurring theme.  

Rumors had it we had real interest in Kirk too, just not at these numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Rumors had it we had real interest in Kirk too, just not at these numbers.

My point made then, money talked, not the quality of the team.  I'm sure Kirk had interest from a number of teams who were better than both the Jags and Eagles.  I suspect Tampa, KC, GB, AZ, and more checked in, but 4 years at $72,000,000 is generational money.  He can play to win on his next contract.

• Like 1