Free agency: Howie is shopping for bargains

Rob331

Howie doesn’t have money in his piggy bank to go on a shopping spree.  

we are going to build with the draft and we will fill out the roster with bargain bin guys who get cut during camps. 

everyone worried about Boston scott for example, Howie knows that Jordan Howard isn’t going to be picked up or sign anywhere so that’s a guy we will get back at a minimum salary.  Sanders, gainwell, Howard and a rookie draft pick at RB.

similar sorry with singleton.  He’ll be back but no reason to tender him when we can probably get him for less after he tests the market.

The smart play is to not overpay for skill positions right now when you don’t even know if jalen is the long term guy and if you need to draft a qb you want to build from that spot out, not build the offense for a guy you don’t even know if he exists yet. 

• Like 1

If there are free agents you think Howie should've signed but didn't have enough cap room...that answers why his approach to the contract extensions and restructures has been an issue. 

To follow up previous poster. I’m ok with them not overspending, nightmares like Byron Maxwell still exists. I’m only nervous about them not addressing safety yet

36 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

To follow up previous poster. I’m ok with them not overspending, nightmares like Byron Maxwell still exists. I’m only nervous about them not addressing safety yet

Re-sign McLeod and draft a safety in the 1st.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Meh

Of the remaining free agents left, who do you want him to sign? 

20 hours ago, b_west3 said:

He led the team in tackles but had a rough season by his standards.  The team transitioned to a 3-4 defense so a switch back to a 4-3 should help him.  I think he'll garner a lot of attention and we have limited funds but it would be nice. 

Hes a steeler now. Of course who else. Fml

13 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Philly would be much more of a media circus for him than those other cities....no doubt.  But I can't be convinced that the Eagles aren't looked at in a negative light around the NFL.  People talk. 

You've had:

- Pederson not want to conform and was ok with being fired.

- They interviewed a bunch of candidates and then settled on Sirianni out of nowhere?

- Wentz asking out.

- Schwartz "retiring".

- Watson not willing to waive his NTC.

- Wilson not willing to waive his NTC.

- A report on how Howie is perceived by agents around the NFL.  

We are all Eagle fans and are too close to the situation to see it for what it is, or don't want to see it.  The front office is not a good one.  This is hardly the gold standard.  

Define gold standard? Philly won the sb not so long ago. The team attracted quite a few free agents that played a big part.

22 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This would be the 50th time I would have had to respond to the "we won the SB in 2017” argument.  No crap.   

They have been a average team or worse the past 4 seasons and have bundled everything.  If you don’t see the downward trend this team has been on since 2017, mostly because of Lowie’s decisions, then you’re just being a blind homer.  You like RPS?  

2017 was Fools Gold 

I just try not to waste my time whining and hope for the best. 

You and others like you, yall do you.

8 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Terell Edmunds

Honey Badger

Jayron Kearse

There are some guys still on the market

Howie's inactivity has nothing to do with limited cap...it's solely he has a number for each position he's willing to go to and so far only Reddick was in his price range. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So you waste your time whining about other posters opinions and then telling us how you don’t waste your time.   Got it.  

Hope for the best.  Ok.  I’ll write that down.  No conjecture or opinion.  Just hope.  

Asking to define gold standard = whining.

K.  Should probably take some time off EMB

I realize I'm in the minority and believe me I get just as impatient as the next fan.  but it's really obvious to me that Roseman has learned several difficult lessons to come up with the current version of himself.  If this was 5 years ago he would've traded 1 or 2 of those first round picks like money burning a hole in his pocket.  I so badly wanted him not to do that and it seems he's possibly going to comply with my wishes.  Also this slower approach to free agency is smart, there's no 2 ways about it.  Ever done a auction fantasy football draft?  Every one of those goes the same way.  2 or 3 teams out of the whole league save all their money and then sweep up good players in the latter half for a much lower price.  I think they hung in there on Chandler Jones as long as they could but at that price it's probably best they backed off.  They could still land Patrick Peterson probably at a bargain.  Howie may actually turn Gardnew Minshew into a 2nd round pick as the QB pool gets more desperate.

Julio Jones would be nice fit, particularly if Siriani picks his spots and load manages him.

If Minshew gets traded is there any chance at all Foles returns to the Birds as #2 or has he said he doesn't want that?

Those 3 1st rounders could set us up for years on defense if Howie's board is on top of their game.

Let me not go away without mentioning that I start a new thread here like every 6 weeks at most, but every single time there is a squad of gatekeepers who need to trash every thread I start as terrible.  The worst offenders are downundermike (the worst by far) and bwestbrook, I have them ignored but one can't point out ENOUGH that those 2 and others like them by their lonesomes cause this board to be rated like a 1 when it could be a 10.  Someday the powers that be may wise up and remove that element from the premises so they have a board for all Birds fans but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maybe we can sign a few High School safeties to play for us. They would be better than what we currently have.

21 hours ago, JP HOF said:

I realize I'm in the minority and believe me I get just as impatient as the next fan.  but it's really obvious to me that Roseman has learned several difficult lessons to come up with the current version of himself.  If this was 5 years ago he would've traded 1 or 2 of those first round picks like money burning a hole in his pocket.  I so badly wanted him not to do that and it seems he's possibly going to comply with my wishes.  Also this slower approach to free agency is smart, there's no 2 ways about it.  Ever done a auction fantasy football draft?  Every one of those goes the same way.  2 or 3 teams out of the whole league save all their money and then sweep up good players in the latter half for a much lower price.  I think they hung in there on Chandler Jones as long as they could but at that price it's probably best they backed off.  They could still land Patrick Peterson probably at a bargain.  Howie may actually turn Gardnew Minshew into a 2nd round pick as the QB pool gets more desperate.

Julio Jones would be nice fit, particularly if Siriani picks his spots and load manages him.

If Minshew gets traded is there any chance at all Foles returns to the Birds as #2 or has he said he doesn't want that?

Those 3 1st rounders could set us up for years on defense if Howie's board is on top of their game.

Let me not go away without mentioning that I start a new thread here like every 6 weeks at most, but every single time there is a squad of gatekeepers who need to trash every thread I start as terrible.  The worst offenders are downundermike (the worst by far) and bwestbrook, I have them ignored but one can't point out ENOUGH that those 2 and others like them by their lonesomes cause this board to be rated like a 1 when it could be a 10.  Someday the powers that be may wise up and remove that element from the premises so they have a board for all Birds fans but I'm not getting my hopes up.

yes, yes, yes spot on, this is why teams that overspend on one or two players fail every time because then you have to rely on your picks being good, if they are not, it will drag the team down. you want your holes to have as much experienced players as you can, just in case the picks dont work out. that's why relying just on the draft to fix your team is a death sentence.

Even the Phillies are out performing Howie in Free agency. That's pretty sad. 

4 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Even the Phillies are out performing Howie in Free agency. That's pretty sad. 

Howie’s biggest free agent acquisitions are Reddick, himself, and bringing back/extending his own guys. His next phase will be to bring in veterans who think they should be paid, but won’t get the money they’re asking for. More Nelson, Harris, and Flacco type moves. Hoping one or two of these guys pan out for a season or two.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

the notion that Howie is a Cap genius and always "figures it out" is complete bullish.  

You got that right, the only "always" I see is the Eagles near the bottom in cap space........I don't know why Lurie puts up with his ineptness, I guess it's a case of inept Owner and GM.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On what basis?

Think learning from his mistakes. 3 year deal for him to make it or break it for him also I believe. Think will actually build a foundation for the team. All the signings ate 1 or 3 year deals. Even with extention in hot water.

• Like 1

Myles Garrett/Denzel Ward will be a Eagle within the next 72 hours. The cap space being opened with Cox and Slay shows something is coming . I’d expect Hargreave to give a new contract soon as well. I’m guessing we’re providing cap relief for a new contract extension and trade. That’s why Cox was not worried about the market and wanted to come back. 
I also think Patrick Peterson will be a Eagle soon. Maybe past his prime as a number 1 but can still cover number 2s better than Nelson 

1 hour ago, XoqTionR said:

For once I think Howie is playing things right. 

Concerning FA, he doesn't have a choice due to no money to blow, unfortunately he can still blow the draft, let's see how he does there.