Free agency: Howie is shopping for bargains

Rob331

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

I actually will praise Howie here. Got a very good player without breaking the bank and otherwise not reaching or over paying. You build through the draft and only supplement in free agency. 

Of course they don't have as much cap room because of Howie, and don't draft well because of Howie but at least don't overpay in free agency just to satisfy fans wanting action.

Have you met Howie. His drafts suck (last year was decent though)

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

After 42 hours of tampering period you have diagnosed a recurring theme?  As far as we know the Eagles had real interest in two players so far, Reddick, who signed,  and Williams who didn't.   Meanwhile players are flocking to the Jaguars based on their stellar roster and magnificently run organization?  

Money is talking loud and clear should be the main recurring theme.  

If the money the Eagles are offering is allegedly the same as these other teams then how is money the only answer here? With that being the case money is a factor in the sense that the Eagles don’t have as much as other teams and as such can’t improve their roster as much like say that Jaguars can who by the way currently boast a SB winning HC with a young up and coming quarterback while the Eagles have a coach most known for flowers and a quarterback everyone says actually isn’t a quarterback. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Eagles have a bad GM.....and moron at HC and a College QB who can't throw the ball with zip more than 20 yards down the field.....without heaving into it.  

Yeah....such an attractive destination.  

Well the Eagles apparently have been trying to improve the quarterback situation, but due to the other issues with the team have been turned down. The issues aren’t just about money here. On a side note the media and the fan base are also a factor here. Look at the locations Watson is considering and look where Wilson went. None of those places compare to the overall fervor of the media and the fans here and other East coast cities  like Washington. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Philly would be much more of a media circus for him than those other cities....no doubt.  But I can't be convinced that the Eagles aren't looked at in a negative light around the NFL.  People talk. 

You've had:

- Pederson not want to conform and was ok with being fired.

- They interviewed a bunch of candidates and then settled on Sirianni out of nowhere?

- Wentz asking out.

- Schwartz "retiring".

- Watson not willing to waive his NTC.

- Wilson not willing to waive his NTC.

- A report on how Howie is perceived by agents around the NFL.  

We are all Eagle fans and are too close to the situation to see it for what it is, or don't want to see it.  The front office is not a good one.  This is hardly the gold standard.  

I agree with all these things, but I also see the Ben Simmons saga and the Fultz situation and how these guys couldn’t even operate in front of our fans. It’s all a combination to go with the bad FO. 

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If the money the Eagles are offering is allegedly the same as these other teams then how is money the only answer here? With that being the case money is a factor in the sense that the Eagles don’t have as much as other teams and as such can’t improve their roster as much like say that Jaguars can who by the way currently boast a SB winning HC with a young up and coming quarterback while the Eagles have a coach most known for flowers and a quarterback everyone says actually isn’t a quarterback. 

Who says the money is the same?  Did they offer Kirk 18 million a year?  The report is the money was  close for Williams, but close could be 5 million less bonus money, could be couple million less annually.  If two mediocre teams are offering me the most I take the one that is offering more.  Baltimore is not a legit contender with a legit QB.

As for the Jags, Doug did win the SB but was mediocre to bad the following 3 seasons.  These guys didn't go to the Jags because Doug is a great coach. 

Trevor is a maybe at QB.  Not saying he doesn't have more as a QB than Hurts,  but is still a maybe at QB.  Certainly didn't show much last season.

I'll contend the money was the deciding factor for both Kirk and Williams.   Harbaugh and Lamar move the needle some but Baltimore has zero chance of a SB in the AFC.

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Then you must not have been paying attention to both Simmons' and Fultz's time in Philly.  They were both cheered and welcomed with opened arms.  With all of their faults...when Fultz knocked down shots....the place went nuts for him.  When Ben hit a 3....the place went nuts for him.  Neither one of them were booed while they were in Philly.   Both of them are a product of their generation....soft children who play the mental health card when it serves them.  Fultz was a moron and went BMX'ing while under contract and Fed his arm up.  That was his downfall....not the fans.  Simmons is quitter and lacks the fortitude to compete and work at his craft...that was his downfall...not the fans.  

That is a soft, tired and weak arse excuse....You watch too much ESPN.  

See this ish @HazletonEagle @Khani1

You haven’t been paying attention to the narrative. Listen to Rivers, Danny Green, and a few others. Look at how Simmons is basically blaming the organization and the fans. People can cheer (most of them were sarcastic cheers anyway) these guys in the stands, but they were getting ripped in the media on talk radio and in print. I’m not saying it’s all fair how the fan base has been treated, but to ignore the fact we play a part in this makes no sense. Heck you just got finished burning the entire organization, but as a fan you claim innocence? Maybe it’s time we as fans own up to our stuff too instead of assuming it’s always just the player, cause some of these guys (to include former Eagles) seem to leave Philly and look pretty decent in front of other fans and media. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Eagles have a bad GM.....and moron at HC and a College QB who can't throw the ball with zip more than 20 yards down the field.....without heaving into it.  

Yeah....such an attractive destination.  

Eagles have their +/-, like most teams.   I'm saying money is talking.  If we offer Kirk 18 million and Williams 16 million both could be Eagles.  Of course, we'd all be killing Howie for giving a slot receiver 18 million.  Williams at 16 we might be able to swallow, but 70 mil for 5 years is a lot of $$ for a safety.  I'd rather trade up for Hamilton and draft a WR in the 2nd-3rd.

40 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I know the narrative.  And Rivers and Danny Green are WRONG!!!  Rivers looks like a complete moron after he told us to "cherish and celebrate him".  Then a few weeks later he quit on the team and then Rivers quit on him.  Green was forced to backpedal.  So thanks for proving my point.  You watch too much ESPN.  

Yeah...I can rip the organization...because I have zero ability to affect any outcome or change.  To blame the fans is such a soft and weak play.  The generation, one where you seem to be a part of, is soft as F.  

What player that you're talking about has looked "pretty decent" since leaving Philly?  Fultz?  

You still don’t get it. It doesn’t matter what you think and you can claim they’re wrong, but that doesn’t ignore the narrative. That’s why people are still talking about booing Santa Claus. Why should anyone who doesn’t have to deal with the Philly nonsense ever want to come here? To think that isn’t a factor is daft. Funny man Philly fans talk all this trash about people being soft, but cry like school girls when people call them out on their own crap. Maybe you shouldn’t be so soft and own your own bs. Bottom line is Philly isn’t for everyone and that’s fine, but to claim it’s all the organizations fault and only them for players not coming here is weak. Jones and we can Douglas are two players who left here and played better for their new teams. Most people here just called them bums. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freshmilk said:

Who says the money is the same?  Did they offer Kirk 18 million a year?  The report is the money was  close for Williams, but close could be 5 million less bonus money, could be couple million less annually.  If two mediocre teams are offering me the most I take the one that is offering more.  Baltimore is not a legit contender with a legit QB.

As for the Jags, Doug did win the SB but was mediocre to bad the following 3 seasons.  These guys didn't go to the Jags because Doug is a great coach. 

Trevor is a maybe at QB.  Not saying he doesn't have more as a QB than Hurts,  but is still a maybe at QB.  Certainly didn't show much last season.

I'll contend the money was the deciding factor for both Kirk and Williams.   Harbaugh and Lamar move the needle some but Baltimore has zero chance of a SB in the AFC.

There’s a huge difference in 5mil in NFL money. That’s hardly close. That’s basically an additional player so no one would call 5mil close which means the Eagles money was on par with what the Ravens offered. The Ravens are 37-12 with Jackson as their quarterback. Frankly they have been world beaters ahead of the Eagles under that same span and the Eagles have been in the trash NFC East. Wilson refused to waive his NTC to come here. That’s not money related, because it’s the same. Watson refused to waive his NTC to come here. Again not money related. It’s obviously more going on here than just money. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s a huge difference in 5mil in NFL money. That’s hardly close. That’s basically an additional player so no one would call 5mil close which means the Eagles money was on par with what the Ravens offered. The Ravens are 37-12 with Jackson as their quarterback. Frankly they have been world beaters ahead of the Eagles under that same span and the Eagles have been in the trash NFC East. Wilson refused to waive his NTC to come here. That’s not money related, because it’s the same. Watson refused to waive his NTC to come here. Again not money related. It’s obviously more going on here than just money. 

Wilson and Watson have not waived it for a lot of teams.  Other players have come, so there has to be a reason they do sign.  

Now, this is not to say I'm a Howie fan at all.  Nor am I a Hurts fan, but I think in this FA money has meant the most.  This is conjecture, but wouldn't be surprised the reason Reddick signed is because it was the best deal offered.

They tried for Marcus Williams and offered similar money but he chose the Ravens instead. 

Schefter on 97.5 this morning seemed to be hinting no more big signings from the Eagles.  Kept citing the new deals given this past season to Mailata, Sweat, Maddox and Goedert as a part of their free agency signings being able to retain them so we shouldn't expect much more. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

You haven’t been paying attention to the narrative. Listen to Rivers, Danny Green, and a few others. Look at how Simmons is basically blaming the organization and the fans. People can cheer (most of them were sarcastic cheers anyway) these guys in the stands, but they were getting ripped in the media on talk radio and in print. I’m not saying it’s all fair how the fan base has been treated, but to ignore the fact we play a part in this makes no sense. Heck you just got finished burning the entire organization, but as a fan you claim innocence? Maybe it’s time we as fans own up to our stuff too instead of assuming it’s always just the player, cause some of these guys (to include former Eagles) seem to leave Philly and look pretty decent in front of other fans and media. 

Wrong

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greend said:

Have you met Howie. His drafts suck (last year was decent though)

Of course. I say that all the time. Our only hope is for Howie to stick to the draft board and not reach or get cute.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well the Eagles apparently have been trying to improve the quarterback situation, but due to the other issues with the team have been turned down. The issues aren’t just about money here. On a side note the media and the fan base are also a factor here. Look at the locations Watson is considering and look where Wilson went. None of those places compare to the overall fervor of the media and the fans here and other East coast cities  like Washington. 

Not to mention quality of life. Hmmm, I have a choice of Denver or Philadelphia. Such a hard choice to make.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Kelce's cap hit is only $6.5M for 2022.  There are 3 dummy years (2023-2025) added to spread out the prorated bonus.  

Thanks, I didn't know that. I called it $5M in the post, so your info makes it $1.5M worse

15 hours ago, downundermike said:

Where did you come up with this number ??

Based on last years numbers for rookies, our draft picks are projected to cost 15.7 million

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Thanks - my number was a pure guestamate. If you're right that puts the Eagles in a terrible cap position as of now. 

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  Phillies and Sixers really struggle getting big names.  Must be a different set of fans that cheered for Harden and Harper.  

You literally used Fultz and Simmons as an example of how fans treat players in Philly.  Like ESPN, you have zero credibility.   

The Phillies have been a .500 team for over a decade. The Sixers had to do the process, because nobody wanted to come here and make a big three. What was the last big free agent signing for the Sixers? Heck people are already starting to rip Harden, and people were ripping Harper before his MVP season. Heck people ripped Schmidt and he’s the greatest 3rd basement all time. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Wilson and Watson have not waived it for a lot of teams.  Other players have come, so there has to be a reason they do sign.  

Now, this is not to say I'm a Howie fan at all.  Nor am I a Hurts fan, but I think in this FA money has meant the most.  This is conjecture, but wouldn't be surprised the reason Reddick signed is because it was the best deal offered.

Reddick’s deal with the Eagles was probably his best deal although it’s hard to say cause he was swooped up so fast. The Eagles moved in to get him while the Panthers were focused on Watson. Ultimately the point isn’t that the Eagles are the only team that could be considered undesirable, but there’s a lot of factors involved and it isn’t just about the finances here. 

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Wrong

Okay bud. Philly fans always treat their players great! 🙄

• Haha 1

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Heck. Harden wasn’t a feee agent.  He had to have agreed to be traded here and wanted to be here.  Heck Free agency is not that big of a thing in the NBA.  

Again…heck zero credibility.  

Jimmy Butler had to agree to a trade here and he was gone in less than a year. Don’t count your Harden cookies just yet. 

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Because the Sixers decided not to offer him a Max deal and did so with Ben while going after Harris.  Butler wanted to stay in Philly.  He loves it in Philly.  JFC.  It’s nice to know that you don’t just spew BS when it refers to the Eagles.  Holy Hell.  

@HazletonEagle

@e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

I has to bring some other guys into this.  Wow. Talk about grasping for straws.  

I was told by a coach who was on the Sixers staff during that time (connections to university of Arizona program ) that if the Sixers would’ve offered him a fifth year max he would’ve stayed in Philadelphia. They didn’t offer him a fifth year max. at that point he was going to get the same amount of money from Miami or Philadelphia in terms of a 4 year max so it made more sense for him to go to Miami where there’s no state tax, better coach in spolestra and he didn’t have to deal with Brett Brown and Ben Simmons.

22 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

howie can go F a goat!!! moved to be made and he is sitting their with his thumb up his butt!!! 🙂

Howie can go f*** Brady??

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I was told by a coach who was on the Sixers staff during that time (connections to university of Arizona program ) that if the Sixers would’ve offered him a fifth year max he would’ve stayed in Philadelphia. They didn’t offer him a fifth year max. at that point he was going to get the same amount of money from Miami or Philadelphia in terms of a 4 year max so it made more sense for him to go to Miami where there’s no state tax, better coach in spolestra and he didn’t have to deal with Brett Brown and Ben Simmons.

Also, Jimmy Butler himself said that he got pissed when a coach or front office staff was talking about if they can "handle" him. When he was being a great teammate here. 

Butler leaving had absolutely nothing to do with the fans. 

• Like 1

One of the biggest parts of my prayer life.... starts right before Howie  gets involved in the draft.....

Day 2 is almost over. Nothing new. Prices are going down and Howie is holding firm.