Free agency: Howie is shopping for bargains

Rob331

44 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

Think learning from his mistakes. 3 year deal for him to make it or break it for him also I believe. Think will actually build a foundation for the team. All the signings ate 1 or 3 year deals. Even with extention in hot water.

3 year deal for him to buy himself more time. It's what Howie does best. He buys time, he finds ways for Lurie to blame the HC and others. 

2 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Myles Garrett/Denzel Ward will be a Eagle within the next 72 hours. The cap space being opened with Cox and Slay shows something is coming . I’d expect Hargreave to give a new contract soon as well. I’m guessing we’re providing cap relief for a new contract extension and trade. That’s why Cox was not worried about the market and wanted to come back. 
I also think Patrick Peterson will be a Eagle soon. Maybe past his prime as a number 1 but can still cover number 2s better than Nelson 

So your gut is we have Slay, Ward and Peterson? 

6deeaa0e-3502-4970-a4e5-ad8ef5e34271_tex

• Haha 5

Roseman got them in cap trouble with some bad contracts and the market is overpriced........$21 million a year for Christian Kirk???  WTF?  Aaron rodgers $200 million, 4 yr fully guaranteed contract??   Things have become ridiculous and it's become even more obvious that building thru the draft is the most economical way to being competitive.  

I suspect Howie will continue to stockpile draft picks by either trading down, trading players or allowing guys who want a huge contract to walk in FA, to get comp picks.

That's why I think there is NO WAY he uses all 3 first rounders this year......he'll trade down or trade for picks next year.

The only guys he signs in free agency at this point, will be one year prove it deals to fill a hole.

I really thought the Eagles would get significantly better during free agency. With almost all of the players who would help us gone the Eagles are just a bit better. No question, Reddick is an upgrade over Barnett. But that's it. 

On the other hand, the Birds entered free agency with about $24M in cap space. The cap hit for Kelce's new contract is about $7M leaving $17M. Figure the Reddick;s hit this year is about $5M after the Howie magic, that leaves $12M. Herbig cost us $2M - leaving $10M. Draft picks will cost about $9M leaving $1M. And then there's Ward and Chachere - which takes us to the cap. Apparently, they saved about $3M be cutting and re-signing Fletcher Cox and there's a report we re-structured Slay for a few more million. So, what else could they have realistically done.

An example: Robert Woods goes from the Rams to the Titans for a 2023 6th round pick. That's an unbelievable bargain, Right? Wrong! Woods is due about $20 million this year.  My guess is that this has been a consistent story sine free agency started last Wednesday. 

Bottom line - I'm disappointed but I understand (sort of).

Sorry folks, posted this in the wrong place. It should have been in talk about the Eagles. 

• Like 2

everyone is comparing reddick to barnett but i actually think reddick will replace both barnett and Avery and share time between the two positions based on alignment. not limiting them from selecting some defensive ends in the draft or even still making a run at someone like clowney or even that vikings guy that could get traded. 

planty of exciting times still to come this off-season 

I would have liked a vet WR but (1) there is still plenty of time before the season begins (the new league year is, after all, only a couple days old) - obviously more WRs will shake loose in the coming weeks/months plus there is also the trade route and (2) I don’t want to overpay and hitch ourselves to an aging vet in the process.  

We have 10 picks next month …. hopefully boy wonder makes the best use out of them.  Best way to build a team for sustained success … through the draft.  

• Like 1

Free agency is just to plug holes.  A team is built thru the draft.  Hopefully we have one as good as last year

4 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

everyone is comparing reddick to barnett but i actually think reddick will replace both barnett and Avery and share time between the two positions based on alignment. not limiting them from selecting some defensive ends in the draft or even still making a run at someone like clowney or even that vikings guy that could get traded. 

planty of exciting times still to come this off-season 

Not sure why, Riddick is nothing compared to Barnett. Riddick is a Pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 over/under system where Barnett is a pure 4-3 end. Neither can play the other position with success. Gannon's base last year was the 3-4 under and over so Riddick is a perfect match for the system. he will take over for Patrick Johnson, and Avery who both failed in that role last year. 

8 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I really thought the Eagles would get significantly better during free agency. With almost all of the players who would help us gone the Eagles are just a bit better. No question, Reddick is an upgrade over Barnett. But that's it. 

On the other hand, the Birds entered free agency with about $24M in cap space. The cap hit for Kelce's new contract is about $7M leaving $17M. Figure the Reddick;s hit this year is about $5M after the Howie magic, that leaves $12M. Herbig cost us $2M - leaving $10M. Draft picks will cost about $9M leaving $1M. And then there's Ward and Chachere - which takes us to the cap. Apparently, they saved about $3M be cutting and re-signing Fletcher Cox and there's a report we re-structured Slay for a few more million. So, what else could they have realistically done.

An example: Robert Woods goes from the Rams to the Titans for a 2023 6th round pick. That's an unbelievable bargain, Right? Wrong! Woods is due about $20 million this year.  My guess is that this has been a consistent story sine free agency started last Wednesday. 

Bottom line - I'm disappointed but I understand (sort of).

Sorry folks, posted this in the wrong place. It should have been in talk about the Eagles. 

I was fully expecting us not to make any big FA signings and figured we'd be bargain shopping this year. We're far off from being in a position where a couple good players are going to make a major difference, not to mention we don't have much to leverage in negotiations. I believe the only reason we landed Reddick is because he actually wanted to come for reasons other than the money. This off season was always going to be about the draft or seeing if Howie had any surprises for us. It's a good sign he's remained disciplined. I was afraid that after making the playoffs they would think we're closer to making a run then they actually are.

It looks like Eagles are happy with what they have and this year is all about Jalen Hurts. If the Eagles do bad this year, they will be in a prime spot to go after the future signal caller in the draft. While they have 3 x high first round picks to fix the team from this year and beyond...

On 3/16/2022 at 4:41 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme this off-season that guys just don’t want to come to the Eagles. Seems like players see this roster and they just don’t think they’re capable of winning and that includes all of these quarterbacks people have been fawning over too.

So you are saying free agents see what we see?

56 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

So you are saying free agents see what we see?

Of course they do. 

12 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Will Howie bring back Rodney McLeod? 

Howie  - "Rodney has been a good player with us, and will remain a good player for us the next couple of years. I spoke with nick and Johnathan about going this direction and they were for it. You can't teach leadership, and Rodney has brought that to our locker room since day one. "

• Like 1

People shouldn't really be surprised by this.  I will actually defend Howie's free agency approach in recent years.  He learned his lesson with the "Dream Team."  Since then he's been fairly consistent:

• Retain their own core players, usually extending them during the season prior to them hitting free agency
  • No reaches or overpaying for free agents coming from other teams, wait until the first wave is over to get the value deals
  • Occasionally pay for a top tier free agent when it's truly worth it and a position of need:  Brandon Brooks, Hargrave, Reddick

One problem is needing cheap band-aid free agents to plug in as starters because of the poor drafting especially on defense.  He does well on lineman in both draft and free agency for the most part though.

The other problem has been extending/restructuring some players that are too old for such long contract extensions,  Part of that was trying to keep the Super Bowl team together.  But the other part is they've tried drafting replacements who haven't been ready.  Then he's got cap space taken up with guys on IR or dead money to players that were cut 1-2 years ago.

Also worth noting that any cap savings from Cox's new deal can't be spent before June 1st, even though we resigned him.

16 hours ago, Thing3 said:

I was fully expecting us not to make any big FA signings and figured we'd be bargain shopping this year. We're far off from being in a position where a couple good players are going to make a major difference, not to mention we don't have much to leverage in negotiations. I believe the only reason we landed Reddick is because he actually wanted to come for reasons other than the money. This off season was always going to be about the draft or seeing if Howie had any surprises for us. It's a good sign he's remained disciplined. I was afraid that after making the playoffs they would think we're closer to making a run then they actually are.

16 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

It looks like Eagles are happy with what they have and this year is all about Jalen Hurts. If the Eagles do bad this year, they will be in a prime spot to go after the future signal caller in the draft. While they have 3 x high first round picks to fix the team from this year and beyond...

A couple of guys out there wo would still make this a "plus" free agency period.

WR - Jarvis Landry

S - Terrell Edmunds

Maybe restructuring Slay on Saturday is a hint that something is coming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

A couple of guys out there wo would still make this a "plus" free agency period.

WR - Jarvis Landry

S - Terrell Edmunds

Maybe restructuring Slay on Saturday is a hint that something is coming. 

I'd love to see Landry as an Eagle but have a feeling he will end up back in Cleveland. Jabril Peppers would be a good pick up if they went the safety route again in FA. 

16 minutes ago, Walkdawalk said:

I'd love to see Landry as an Eagle but have a feeling he will end up back in Cleveland. Jabril Peppers would be a good pick up if they went the safety route again in FA. 

I agree with both - good call

• Like 1

Remember a few years ago Howie said he wasn't just signing 1 year band-aid contracts to free agents?  Good times.

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

Remember a few years ago Howie said he wasn't just signing 1 year band-aid contracts to free agents?  Good times.

That was the free agency year that led to the super bowl lol. I remember because people were throwing a fit because he was signing guys to one year after literally just saying he isn't signing band aids lol. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That was the free agency year that led to the super bowl lol. I remember because people were throwing a fit because he was signing guys to one year after literally just saying he isn't signing band aids lol. 

I thought I remembered it being a couple years after that but you're probably right.    

32 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I thought I remembered it being a couple years after that but you're probably right.    

I'm sure he has made the comment a few times. There was a poster on here every single day biotching about hiring Doug and signing Alshon to a one year deal and Blount and I think Chris long was originally just a one year deal. 

I forget the posters username, I just know he put me on ignore because I kept busting his balls every time he posted because the eagles kept winning with the band aids he was throwing a fit about. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm sure he has made the comment a few times. There was a poster on here every single day biotching about hiring Doug and signing Alshon to a one year deal and Blount and I think Chris long was originally just a one year deal. 

I forget the posters username, I just know he put me on ignore because I kept busting his balls every time he posted because the eagles kept winning with the band aids he was throwing a fit about. 

I think it was the fact that Howie said he's not going to just sign band-aids, then did exactly that a short time later.  Teams have to sign temps sometimes or prove-it deals that's fine.  It's just Howie gets himself caught in these phrases like QB factory or band-aids then says he wished he'd never said them.