Free agency: Howie is shopping for bargains

Rob331

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I think it was the fact that Howie said he's not going to just sign band-aids, then did exactly that a short time later.  Teams have to sign temps sometimes or prove-it deals that's fine.  It's just Howie gets himself caught in these phrases like QB factory or band-aids then says he wished he'd never said them.  

We all wish he never said them

On 3/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, NOTW said:

People shouldn't really be surprised by this.  I will actually defend Howie's free agency approach in recent years.  He learned his lesson with the "Dream Team."  Since then he's been fairly consistent:

• Retain their own core players, usually extending them during the season prior to them hitting free agency
  • No reaches or overpaying for free agents coming from other teams, wait until the first wave is over to get the value deals
  • Occasionally pay for a top tier free agent when it's truly worth it and a position of need:  Brandon Brooks, Hargrave, Reddick

One problem is needing cheap band-aid free agents to plug in as starters because of the poor drafting especially on defense.  He does well on lineman in both draft and free agency for the most part though.

The other problem has been extending/restructuring some players that are too old for such long contract extensions,  Part of that was trying to keep the Super Bowl team together.  But the other part is they've tried drafting replacements who haven't been ready.  Then he's got cap space taken up with guys on IR or dead money to players that were cut 1-2 years ago.

Howie is killing himself with these contacts with these dummy void years that has guys who have been gone years ago still counting against the Eagles cap. Howie needs to let the veteran players go, but that would be so much easier if he did a far better job with the draft.

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie is killing himself with these contacts with these dummy void years that has guys who have been gone years ago still counting against the Eagles cap. Howie needs to let the veteran players go, but that would be so much easier if he did a far better job with the draft.

Yep….not a fan of his cap management the last few years.

8 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Yep….not a fan of his cap management the last few years.

He’s been ring chasing since 2017. He’s been giving those guys extensions and restructuring their contracts since. He can’t let them go, because he’s done such a poor job finding their replacements. Everything has been a failure. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:43 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Bargains are ok, as long as they're worth the money paid. 

Well said. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mathieu would be a good signing, I also think a cheap deal for AJ Green would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Mathieu would be a good signing, I also think a cheap deal for AJ Green would make a lot of sense.

I wouldn't hate those. I'd question the logic of bringing in Mathieu on a pretty big deal but I like the player.