Top Gun: Maverick

The_Omega

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

i have IMAX and Dolby booked, but now I am seeing that Tuesday (if I pay for early access) is during Warriors game 4, and Thursday (which is "free" with my A-List) is during Warriors game 5... so now I further root for a 4-game sweep! I think my current tickets are Thursday and Friday night. 

I recently upgraded to a list. Never been to a Dolby cinema theater. I'm not a big fan of the seats in IMAX

59 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Going to see this in a Dolby cinema theater 

Those jet engines should sound very nice

I'm seeing it with Dolby Atmos as well. 

There is another theatre that has 'D-Box' seats. Basically they're recliners that move with the movie. I'm tempted to book a second session with these because I read that they shot the film with these also in mind. 

Thinking back, Top Gun and Star Trek IV were the first movies I saw after going into the Army. I arrived at Fort Jackson for Basic Training over Memorial Day weekend, so on Memorial Day, they played movies all day in the Day Room. Those were the two movies that I watched that day... then I got detailed to take someone to the post hospital and wound up sitting in the waiting room for a few hours for him to come back out. 

The next day, we met our drill sergeants. Fun times!

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I recently upgraded to a list. Never been to a Dolby cinema theater. I'm not a big fan of the seats in IMAX

IMAX are upright and can be kind of old. Dolby, and i think even the standard theaters, all have the leather electronic-reclining seats 

1 hour ago, Mat said:

I'm seeing it with Dolby Atmos as well. 

There is another theatre that has 'D-Box' seats. Basically they're recliners that move with the movie. I'm tempted to book a second session with these because I read that they shot the film with these also in mind. 

I think D-Box is what I went to in Miami to see the final Planet of the Apes films when I was in Florida getting my dad's house in order after he passed. I just remember the seats moving being trippy as F. AmbuLAnce would have been a crazy film to see, because as the camera rotated the seats were moving in unison with the screen 

10 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

IMAX are upright and can be kind of old. Dolby, and i think even the standard theaters, all have the leather electronic-reclining seats 

I think D-Box is what I went to in Miami to see the final Planet of the Apes films when I was in Florida getting my dad's house in order after he passed. I just remember the seats moving being trippy as F. AmbuLAnce would have been a crazy film to see, because as the camera rotated the seats were moving in unison with the screen 

The standard theaters near me aren't upgraded :sad:

I read that the Dolby theaters are better than IMAX so I wanted to try

It's going to be streaming on Paramount + in July. I'll catch it then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rich Eisen said it was great.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gannan said:

It's going to be streaming on Paramount + in July. I'll catch it then. 

fail

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

It's a private video and isn't shared publicly

Sorry here ya go 

• Like 2

Just confirmed my seats for the 4DX theater with the moving seats and environmental effects. Better be worth it $45 for 2 seats 

It's pretty good. I'm going to go see it again on Tuesday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

He didn't deliver any lines in the movie. 

An AI company compiled all dialogue from every movie and filmed interview he's ever done and they were able to replace his compromised voice with an AI rendering of his voice. 

They plan on using this technology to replace the computerized voice people like Stephen Hawking used. 

• Like 1

Just saw it and I absolutely enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun movie and held up very well to the original. It sucks Val Kilmer only had a small role in the film (for obvious reasons) but it was good that he was able to make an appearance. The guy they got to play Rooster looks damn near like what Goose's son would look like. Good job by the casting department there. 

• Like 2

I got the need for speed tonight 

I hate spending a lot to go to the movies. We have a smaller theater by us thats got real good prices, nice seats and everything is pretty new. Having said that, I might need to go back and see this in imax or 4d. Holy crap that was a great movie. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, BFit said:

I hate spending a lot to go to the movies. We have a smaller theater by us thats got real good prices, nice seats and everything is pretty new. Having said that, I might need to go back and see this in imax or 4d. Holy crap that was a great movie. 

Not sure how far AMC or Regal brands are from you, but there versions of "unlimited” runs around $24/mo with taxes/etc. Since most theaters on non-promotion days seem to be at least $12 a ticket, 2x a month pays itself off. With AMC they include any format, so a Dolby and IMAX ticket probably is $20-22 by itself, so those memberships are awesome. 
I think I saw AMC offering $0.99 for the first month with a 3-month commitment. So about $50 for 3x a week viewing during the peak window of the year where films are dropping. 

On 5/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, Mike030270 said:

It was great at Dolby Cinema

To add onto this it had some great nostolgic moments and a lot of new stuff

Also

Watched it for a second time in the dbox seats, they were pretty great

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Not sure how far AMC or Regal brands are from you, but there versions of "unlimited” runs around $24/mo with taxes/etc. Since most theaters on non-promotion days seem to be at least $12 a ticket, 2x a month pays itself off. With AMC they include any format, so a Dolby and IMAX ticket probably is $20-22 by itself, so those memberships are awesome. 
I think I saw AMC offering $0.99 for the first month with a 3-month commitment. So about $50 for 3x a week viewing during the peak window of the year where films are dropping. 

i dont go to the movies enough for that. we'll go see a new marvel movie on opening night, we might go see a random movie that looks good on a tuesday ($6 movie night) but other than that, we really dont go much. plus, when we do go we have our popcorn pail that they still honor from 2019 so its $6 to fill it and $4 for a drink to split. 

3 hours ago, BFit said:

i dont go to the movies enough for that. we'll go see a new marvel movie on opening night, we might go see a random movie that looks good on a tuesday ($6 movie night) but other than that, we really dont go much. plus, when we do go we have our popcorn pail that they still honor from 2019 so its $6 to fill it and $4 for a drink to split. 

in that 3 month window, if you started with Strange, you'd also get Top Gun, Jurassic World, and Thor (as 4 movies I assume would be guarantees for you?). Also in theaters (still at the time of Strange's release, and def during that 3-month window), that would essentially be "free" that are films I wouldn't be shocked if you checked out: 

Ambulance, Morbius, Northman, Nic Cage film, Elvis, Nope, Bullet Train

Up in the airs would be Lightyear, Sonic 2, The Batman probably still being shown on the big screen (re-watch), Bob's Burgers