Top Gun: Maverick

The_Omega

Finally got a chance to go see this. Fantastic movie. I went in with high expectations and it easily exceeded them.

• Like 1

Well that was fun!

The blockbuster that simultaneously tugs at your nostalgia strings and shows modern film makers that you don’t need cheesy CGI to make a billion dollar film.

Also lots of little Easter eggs and subtle references. Dark star is clearly SR-72, the crash was clearly based on Chuck Yeager’s crash from The Right Stuff, cobra maneuver by Cruise and falling leaf by the Su-57, the "enemy” obviously heavily based on Iran and Russia.

It won’t win best picture, but this was just a great popcorn summer flick that managed to be what it is and not do too much without being over the top. Five out of five stars for what it is.

• Like 1

Other than cruise and Kilmer are is anyone else from the original in it at all?

11 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Other than cruise and Kilmer are is anyone else from the original in it at all?

Not that I can recall 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got out to see this and it was just plain fun. Obviously a bit formulaic like the first one, but just better execution overall. They took the best parts of the first one and improved on them, while cutting out most of the stuff that made it cheesy and lame, but this still had plenty of eye-rolling moments to be sure. Still liked it overall though, and if you weren't blown away by the first one, you should at least give this one a try because it was far more than lip service to the fans of the original like I initially feared.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:52 AM, JBENT87 said:

yeah, so this was actually a very small thing. I thought this was going to annoy me a lot more than it did. But it happened so early on and lead Maverick to acknowledge it and reflect on Goose which is I guess all I wanted and expected. 

Cruise killed it in this, as did Teller. For someone who saw Top Gun late in life with the 80s charm worn off, I didn't expect to like this as much as everyone else going into it. But they did a great job in modernizing it, especially w the plane scenes. And then there was a great third act that I wasn't sure we were going to get. Really just an overall great movie. 

Yeah, say what you will about the guy's personal life and beliefs, but you can tell he takes his craft very seriously and truly cares about making good movies. Gotta respect that at least. Also, similarly I wasn't a huge fan of the original like a lot of people seem to be, but among so many other things this one does better, the cinematography of those flight scenes is like in another league compared to the first one. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 1:52 AM, TEW said:

Well that was fun!

The blockbuster that simultaneously tugs at your nostalgia strings and shows modern film makers that you don’t need cheesy CGI to make a billion dollar film.

Also lots of little Easter eggs and subtle references. Dark star is clearly SR-72, the crash was clearly based on Chuck Yeager’s crash from The Right Stuff, cobra maneuver by Cruise and falling leaf by the Su-57, the "enemy” obviously heavily based on Iran and Russia.

It won’t win best picture, but this was just a great popcorn summer flick that managed to be what it is and not do too much without being over the top. Five out of five stars for what it is.

I don't think that was a falling leaf, technically. If we're taking about the same thing, I think it was more of a cobra + vertical tail spin combo.

4 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I don't think that was a falling leaf, technically. If we're taking about the same thing, I think it was more of a cobra + vertical tail spin combo.

Could be, I only saw it once. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 6:07 PM, The_Omega said:

Finally got a chance to go see this. Fantastic movie. I went in with high expectations and it easily exceeded them.

I finally saw it last night and I too thought it was great. When I decided to go on active duty in 87, it was because of this movie I chose the Navy. I wanted to be an avionics tech on jets. Ended up working on helicopters instead but it still took my life in a totally different direction. I want to say it was better than the original but I aged with the movie so my perspective at 58 and facing retirement is much different than the 23 yr old me. Cruise is rumored to have turned down requests to make the sequel sooner but he wanted to wait until the time was right. I think the timing was perfect. Much of it was predictable, but they still added a few twists that caught me by surprise. The flying was unrealistic, but the action had me on the edge of my seat a few times. I think they did a good job of mixing the old and new. I wasn’t disappointed with any of it. 

• Like 3

On 12/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, Tnt4philly said:

When I decided to go on active duty in 87, it was because of this movie I chose the Navy.

When I decided to go into the Army in 88, it was because of this movie (in part):

Spoiler

As for Top Gun (the original), it was one of the movies that they had on in the dayroom on Memorial Day 1988 (my 4th day in the Army). I'd seen it before, but because of that, I always associate it with the start of Basic Training. Star Trek IV, too. 

As for the new Top Gun, I've just had zero desire to see it. I've read great things about it, I just can't get into wanting to see it. 

• Like 1