Top Gun: Maverick

The_Omega

I just realized that the last time I went to the movies was in 2013 to see American Hustle. 

19 hours ago, Agent23 said:

in that 3 month window, if you started with Strange, you'd also get Top Gun, Jurassic World, and Thor (as 4 movies I assume would be guarantees for you?). Also in theaters (still at the time of Strange's release, and def during that 3-month window), that would essentially be "free" that are films I wouldn't be shocked if you checked out: 

Ambulance, Morbius, Northman, Nic Cage film, Elvis, Nope, Bullet Train

Up in the airs would be Lightyear, Sonic 2, The Batman probably still being shown on the big screen (re-watch), Bob's Burgers 

in that window it would only be strange, top gun and thor. jurassic world we'll probably wait for a digital release. probably rent the nic cage film. rest are pretty meh. like i said, we really dont go to the movies but a handfull of times a year. 

plus the AMC and Regal closet to us are trashier and further away than the theater we go to. 

The trailer shows Goose's son looks exactly like he did in the 80s (mustache, hair, Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses) is that some homage he's doing for his Dad or are we supposed to believe it's a coincidence?

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The trailer shows Goose's son looks exactly like he did in the 80s, is that some homage he's doing for his Dad or are we supposed to believe it's a coincidence?

i mean, why wouldnt he look like his dad? i look like my dad

1 hour ago, BFit said:

i mean, why wouldnt he look like his dad? i look like my dad

I'm talking about the style.  The mustache, the hair, the Hawaiian shirt, the sunglasses, he's copying his look not just genetically looking like him.  The trailer also shows them singing in the bar at the piano like they did in the original.  

I don't think it too far fetched that a kid who grew up hearing about his dead hero father that he's never met would go out of his way to emulate him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I'm talking about the style.  The mustache, the hair, the Hawaiian shirt, the sunglasses, he's copying his look not just genetically looking like him.  The trailer also shows them singing in the bar at the piano like they did in the original.  

Idk, just doesn't seem too odd to me. I look and dress like my dad and I know a bunch of guys that do the same. Not trying or anything, but I think you probably pick up a lot of stuff from your dad, even if it's just from pictures

13 hours ago, The_Omega said:

I don't think it too far fetched that a kid who grew up hearing about his dead hero father that he's never met would go out of his way to emulate him.

Right?  Plus a lot of the 80s styles are way back in style.  High school kids dress like idiots 

On 6/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, NOTW said:

The trailer shows Goose's son looks exactly like he did in the 80s (mustache, hair, Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses) is that some homage he's doing for his Dad or are we supposed to believe it's a coincidence?

You know this is a sequel right? With characters tied to previous characters, right?  It is not a reboot. I repeat. It is not a reboot.  

Just saw it. Loved it!  Will grow a mustache and buy aviators this week. 

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, NOTW said:

he sings and plays great balls of fire in the piano too. [\spoiler]

don’t watch it, you probably will hate it. 

34 minutes ago, DBW said:

You know this is a sequel right? With characters tied to previous characters, right?  It is not a reboot. I repeat. It is not a reboot.  

Uh yeah i know. I was asking if they mention he is copying his dad's 80s look on purpose to pay homage. 

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Uh yeah i know. I was asking if they mention he is copying his dad's 80s look on purpose to pay homage. 

You’re putting way too much thought into it. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Not sure it matters either way

they also stole an F-14 the same Jets he flew in the 80s. And he wore a similar bomber jacket,  there was an older Porsche at the end of the movie (Charlie drove a Porsche), and he also said "talk to me goose” while rooster said "talk to me dad.”  You’d almost think these movies are somehow related.  

🤣 [\spoiler]

1 hour ago, Weaponx01 said:

You’re putting way too much thought into it. 

Seems they put much thought into nostalgic elements copying things exactly. I've heard great things about the movie though so hopefully it's well done not just copying and pasting things. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:43 PM, mikemack8 said:

Right?  Plus a lot of the 80s styles are way back in style.  High school kids dress like idiots 

Mullets and stashes 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:13 PM, NOTW said:

Seems they put much thought into nostalgic elements copying things exactly. I've heard great things about the movie though so hopefully it's well done not just copying and pasting things. 

It's not the Force Awakens... tho EVERYONE on these boards, other than me, was deepthroating that film when it was in theaters. I stated that I like TFA and thought it was going to have the highest rewatchability of the (numbered) SW films, but EVERYONE was jumping on me for not joining them behind the wall at the gloryhole. Then for 5+ years now I've just watch every single one of those people crap on TFA 10x harder than anything I've ever said/critiqued on that film. 

TG: Maverick is, upon reflection, everything you all wish TFA was, and what you all thought TFA was during that initial nostalgia viewing. 

On 6/4/2022 at 9:25 PM, DBW said:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:13 PM, NOTW said:

I didn't think you were putting too much thought into it. Stuff like this annoys me as well. 

Apparently they sing/play Great Balls of Fire on the piano again in this. Maybe that moment will clear this up and acknowledge that they're paying respect/whatever. "hey kid, did you ever know what your dad's favorite song was?" and then ease into it.  If Miles Teller just decides to sit down and start playing that song, of all songs on the piano, and doesn't mention anything about Maverick/his mom mentioning it was a song his dad used to play, that will absolutely be annoying. 

Seeing it later tonight, will report back tomorrow on this important issue. 

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Just saw it - incredible 

image.gif.09cc0d0c70e08b0b32545c9e43a4ed89.gif

• Haha 2

On 6/4/2022 at 10:13 PM, NOTW said:

I thought the same thing during the trailer but I was fine with that though

After watching it you see the nostalgic side plus a lot of new stuff

It was a great movie

If you haven't seen it yet then I'd recommend going to see it in something other than a regular theater. Go see it in IMAX or the Dolby Cinema, or some other one that adds the additional experience

This is definitely one of those movies to pay a little extra to see it 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Penny is Penny Benjamin.  The Admirals daughter, referenced in the first film.   Didn’t pick up on that, when we saw it.  

I didn’t either but figured they had a history of some sort. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 4:40 PM, JBENT87 said:

I didn't think you were putting too much thought into it. Stuff like this annoys me as well. 

Apparently they sing/play Great Balls of Fire on the piano again in this. Maybe that moment will clear this up and acknowledge that they're paying respect/whatever. "hey kid, did you ever know what your dad's favorite song was?" and then ease into it.  If Miles Teller just decides to sit down and start playing that song, of all songs on the piano, and doesn't mention anything about Maverick/his mom mentioning it was a song his dad used to play, that will absolutely be annoying. 

Seeing it later tonight, will report back tomorrow on this important issue. 

yeah, so this was actually a very small thing. I thought this was going to annoy me a lot more than it did. But it happened so early on and lead Maverick to acknowledge it and reflect on Goose which is I guess all I wanted and expected. 

Cruise killed it in this, as did Teller. For someone who saw Top Gun late in life with the 80s charm worn off, I didn't expect to like this as much as everyone else going into it. But they did a great job in modernizing it, especially w the plane scenes. And then there was a great third act that I wasn't sure we were going to get. Really just an overall great movie. 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Also, Jennifer Connely looks like a completely different person.  Great looking woman, but a lot hotter back in the 90’s early 00’s.  I wouldn’t have known it was her If I didn’t know in advance that she was in the movie.  

So a 51 year old woman was hotter in her 20s? 

Go figure 

• Haha 1