Dick Vermeil On Todays NFL Soft Training Camps

Talonblood

I was a big critic of the soft camps last year but the Eagles did have their best injury luck in years so they get the benefit of the doubt with this until the results end up being otherwise.  That said though the team did struggle to find itself early on in the season and that goes hand in hand with a lack of practice and participation in preseason games for starters. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I took note of when he talks about teams having MORE injuries due to soft camps.
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/dick-vermeil-todays-nfl-practices-id-be-cheating-my-players

Discuss. 

Ive said the same many times for years. Being an ex player for an extremely short period in the NFL, lol(One preseason till I was cut) but full 4 years of Div 1 college I know how much you need to get your body ready for a contact sport. The more soft practices you have the harder it will hit you come reg season when your going full speed hits. Camps should start off soft but gradually have more and more hitting. Same goes for speed and cutting etc. If you are going from 25-50% speed and go into week 1 at 100% your going to get hurt. By the end of preseason you should be going 90+ %. These teams just are too scared. Just like the world we live in, the game of Football has gone soft. 

its also why i don;t believe in sitting your players in preseason either. The good teams normally will still use the process of 1Q week 1, 2Q week 2 and 3Q week 3 then rest week 4(Which now is a full league rest week anyways. Lets be honest by week 3 you know who your final roster spots are going to. One week 4 game with all 3rd/4th string players is not going to impact your team. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure it really matters.  Either you harden your players in camp and lose a few to injury, or you go easy on them, come out soft and then lose a few to injury in the first few regular season weeks.  Feels like six in one, half dozen in the other to me. 

• Like 1

This isn't the 80's anymore.   Time to let go of what life used to be like. That sheet was 40 years ago. 

49 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This isn't the 80's anymore.   Time to let go of what life used to be like. That sheet was 40 years ago. 

Na, CBA BS got serious with it in 2002, after a player died of heat stroke, not the 80's. Learn your football before ya run your mouth.

1 minute ago, Talonblood said:

Na, look at all the Eagles injuries the last 7 years or so.

Ok but this past year has been the best it's been in the last 7 years. Either way they ain't going back to how it used to be.  so no point in wasting energy on it. 

34 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Ok but this past year has been the best it's been in the last 7 years. Either way they ain't going back to how it used to be.  so no point in wasting energy on it. 

And they didn't beat a winning team all year. So there's that. Save injuries with a soft camp, and get your asses kicked all year by any decent club you play. Got it, thanks. 🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

And they didn't beat a winning team all year. So there's that. Save injuries with a soft camp, and get your asses kicked all year by any decent club you play. Got it, thanks. 🤣

No one practices hard anymore the same teams that beat them like a drum didn't practice hard either.... The whole league is doing it not just the eagles. So there goes that narrative. Vermeil even states he doesn't know if he is right about it 

😂😂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Probably had more to do with a sheety QB and crap defense that you have been complaining about all off season. So is it that or is it not practicing hard enough. Make up your mind 😂 ,did they get their sheet stomped by the BUCS in January because they didn't practice hard in July  Is that what you are saying? 

48 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Probably had more to do with a sheety QB and crap defense that you have been complaining about all off season. So is it that or is it not practicing hard enough. Make up your mind 😂 ,did they get their sheet stomped by the BUCS in January because they didn't practice hard in July  Is that what you are saying? 

Yes

54 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No one practices hard anymore the same teams that beat them like a drum didn't practice hard either.... The whole league is doing it not just the eagles. So there goes that narrative. Vermeil even states he doesn't know if he is right about it 

😂😂

Wrong. Siri took it to extremes. Look it up. Softest camp in the league.

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Yes

Wrong. Siri took it to extremes. Look it up. Softest camp in the league.

🤷

36 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

🤷

sup

6 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I was a big critic of the soft camps last year but the Eagles did have their best injury luck in years so they get the benefit of the doubt with this until the results end up being otherwise.  That said though the team did struggle to find itself early on in the season and that goes hand in hand with a lack of practice and participation in preseason games for starters. 

Are soft camps why hurts sucks? 

• Haha 1

I have an idea. Let's get once a year full contact, 3 hour game, Player Union Lawyers vs. League Lawyers. It will be a best seller. LOL.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Allhaildawk said:

Are soft camps why hurts sucks? 

Nah, he just sucks for sucks sake.

5 hours ago, judunno said:

With the knowledge of CTE. Soft is fine.

Understood- but he, let's just give them skirts and get it over with. 🤣

Most injuries occur from week one, to week four, and then it’s a steady decline.  2020 saw way less practices and preseason due to Covid but weeks 1-4 injuries were much worse than previous seasons because the players weren’t ready or in shape.    
 There has to be a middle ground, the Eagles using 6 out of 13 OTA’s may work and Siriani’s 1 hour TC camp may be the wave of the future,  on Mars. 

10 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Understood- but he, let's just give them skirts and get it over with. 🤣

I have no problem with backing off on elite athletes to reduce collisions during the off-season. It's the least that can be done for people that grind their brain into a pulp for our entertainment purposes. If you equate that to skirts, so be it tough guy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, judunno said:

I have no problem with backing off on elite athletes to reduce collisions during the off-season. It's the least that can be done for people that grind their brain into a pulp for our entertainment purposes. If you equate that to skirts, so be it tough guy.

Then they shouldn't sign million dollar deals to play this sport. It's called football, not ice skating. Guys like you will want to ban this violent sport next. Fine. Ban it. It IS a dangerous sport. Everyone knows that going in. Either ban the sport, or stop whining about it and man up and play. Tough training camps are good for players, according to a 2 time Super Bowl winning coach. But I should listen to YOU more than him. Got it, soft guy. Snowflakes....  🤣💩

12 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

Most injuries occur from week one, to week four, and then it’s a steady decline.  2020 saw way less practices and preseason due to Covid but weeks 1-4 injuries were much worse than previous seasons because the players weren’t ready or in shape. 

You got a source with data for that?

This is always an interesting discussion. I don't believe for a minute that practicing less is better for football. Are we seeing less injuries by limiting OTAs?  It doesn't appear so to me. If your philosophy is to spend less time preparing your team (mainly your starters) to lower the chances that an injury might occur during the "preparation" and you go into the season not playing particularly well and dig a hole early, you are forcing your starters to take less rest during games and exposing them to more snaps, more contact, more physical stress during the season. Even if your team remains mostly healthy, but they are struggling to execute their assignments, the team goes nowhere, so what was gained from "staying healthy?"

Unfortunately, due to the CBA, teams are now extremely limited with what they can do to prepare for the season. That's why I totally disagree with the concept of taking it easy and skipping any of the limited opportunities and also not getting the starters some work during the preseason. Yes, an injury can happen ... more than 1 even --- but that's why we have more than 22 players on the roster. All I'm saying is that health gains you nothing on the football field if you aren't prepared. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2022 at 10:04 PM, brkmsn said:

This is always an interesting discussion. I don't believe for a minute that practicing less is better for football. Are we seeing less injuries by limiting OTAs?  It doesn't appear so to me. If your philosophy is to spend less time preparing your team (mainly your starters) to lower the chances that an injury might occur during the "preparation" and you go into the season not playing particularly well and dig a hole early, you are forcing your starters to take less rest during games and exposing them to more snaps, more contact, more physical stress during the season. Even if your team remains mostly healthy, but they are struggling to execute their assignments, the team goes nowhere, so what was gained from "staying healthy?"

Unfortunately, due to the CBA, teams are now extremely limited with what they can do to prepare for the season. That's why I totally disagree with the concept of taking it easy and skipping any of the limited opportunities and also not getting the starters some work during the preseason. Yes, an injury can happen ... more than 1 even --- but that's why we have more than 22 players on the roster. All I'm saying is that health gains you nothing on the football field if you aren't prepared. 

I agree with this. It may just be me, but I seem to see allot more injuries since they cut down on practice time. I can remember people saying they have never seen so many ACL and Hamstring injuries after this agreement.....

On 7/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, Talonblood said:

Then they shouldn't sign million dollar deals to play this sport. It's called football, not ice skating. Guys like you will want to ban this violent sport next. Fine. Ban it. It IS a dangerous sport. Everyone knows that going in. Either ban the sport, or stop whining about it and man up and play. Tough training camps are good for players, according to a 2 time Super Bowl winning coach. But I should listen to YOU more than him. Got it, soft guy. Snowflakes....  🤣💩

Which coach is that? Vermeil only won once, and it happened to be with a team that most considered "soft".