I think the Detroit game will be a very, very difficult game.

JP HOF

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Was it really tough though?

You are actually asking me that question. Okaaaay. I assume you watched the game, so no need for me to answer. 

3 hours ago, Procus said:

Not an entirely unexpected kind of a game.  In my book, with a preseason of 3 games and a relatively light TC, it takes a team a few weeks to you really see what it's made of.

Hurts looks like Hurts, and AJ Brown looks as advertised.  Otherwise, seems like a version of the 2021 Eagles

We look even worse at LB to be honest. Edwards cannot cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seengreen said:

I hate when coaches outsmart the basics. But, he feels 3rd and short, Scott is small enough to get in the crease for the yardage.

Sanders has had fumbling issues especially in big moments so they probably didn't trust him to close it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

You are actually asking me that question. Okaaaay. I assume you watched the game, so no need for me to answer. 

They were up two scores for most of the game. Slay uncharacteristically dropped a pick that could have sealed it. First game of the year. Easily closed out the game when they had to. Cake walk ;)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sanders has had fumbling issues especially in big moments so they probably didn't trust him to close it out. 

So has the little guy that they gave the ball too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

They were up two scores for most of the game. Slay uncharacteristically dropped a pick that could have sealed it. First game of the year. Easily closed out the game when they had to. Cake walk ;)

4 new starters on D that didn't play together much if at all in preseason.  I'm taking the W and moving on

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, judunno said:

So has the little guy that they gave the ball too.

He had 1 fumble last year and also miles kept running out of bounds last year when we were trying to kill the clock. I'm just guessing why they went with Scott that's all. 

13 minutes ago, judunno said:

I DID like how the closed out the game. That drive was critical, and they got the win. 

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He had 1 fumble last year and also miles kept running out of bounds last year when we were trying to kill the clock. I'm just guessing why they went with Scott that's all. 

Just saying it's not like he's not Mr. Reliable. How's Mr. Sermon with ball security?

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Just saying it's not like he's not Mr. Reliable. How's Mr. Sermon with ball security?

No idea lol. 

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I DID like how the closed out the game. That drive was critical, and they got the win. 

Just get the Ws indeed. Ugly or pretty. Glad Swift ate em up to humble them early. They were smelling themselves a bit. A lot to get on them about this week.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Talonblood said:

did the Lions have the ball with a chance to win or tie?  The Eagles took a sizeable lead in the 2nd,  and there was an anxious moment there at the end,  but the Lions never had the ball in the second half with a chance to take the lead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, judunno said:

Yeah...  they'll clean it up. First two games are like preseason games. Just gotta win and fight the injury bug then hopefully they settle in. Did our new RB even dress today? Having our smallest back run it on short yardage situations just seems weird.

Not having a big back to run it on short yardage situations just seems weird.

There were a number of times where the Eagles needed more size at the skill positions.

The Ravens have big blocking TE Nick Boyle and 300 pound FB Patrick Ricard. 

I've been saying Cam Jurgens for this role since before the Eagles drafted him.  Saying it here, saying "ok, you crazy people who are worried about OL depth in case one of the great OL the Eagles have currently wants to retired,  how about this one,  freakbeast, similar as a Center to Kelce, and was converted from Tight End in college, and he was the #4 TE coming out of high school, and he was a short yardage rusher in high school, and just a normal rusher, looking a lot like a tailback,  he can do that,  the Eagles need that, until Kelce no longer wants to be the starting Center.  Maybe Kelce could do what Cam Jurgens is doing as additional size at End or Back, run for TDs, when Cam Jurgens takes over at the more physically challenging position of Center."  

I've been talking about the lack of size since last year.   There is much the Eagles do have,  the OL itself is tops,  Hurts as a runner is tops,  built the way you'd want.  but the Ravens have those 2 big blockers,  Boyle and Ricard, and they both do help a lot.  Jurgens can do the Boyle and Ricard stuff, and there is a lot of good video of Jurgens running for TDs, and that's something the Ravens haven't been having Ricard do all that much, he didn't have any background in running the ball.  Jurgens does.   That is the thing that Jurgens should be doing.  I'd be in no hurry to push Kelce aside.  I want to see Jurgens do this.  And then, if Kelce wants to do this,  to do some of the things his brother does, I'd be much in favor of that.  

Players like Cam Jurgens and Tyree Jackson present an unusual versatile upside that should be used,  especially in must win games like the playoffs.   Last year, the Eagles were just weakened in the run game in the playoffs, with Howard not running at all and Hurts still not 100% from the ankle injury. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

There were a number of times where the Eagles needed more size at the skill positions.

I've been saying Cam Jurgens for this role since before the Eagles drafted him.  Saying it here, saying "ok, you crazy people who are worried about OL depth in case one of the great OL the Eagles have currently wants to retired,  how about this one,  freakbeast, similar as a Center to Kelce, and was converted from Tight End in college, and he was the #4 TE coming out of high school, and he was a short yardage rusher in high school, and just a normal rusher, looking a lot like a tailback,  he can do that,  the Eagles need that, until Kelce no longer wants to be the starting Center.  Maybe Kelce could do what Cam Jurgens is doing as additional size at End or Back, run for TDs, when Cam Jurgens takes over at the more physically challenging position of Center."  

I've been talking about the lack of size since last year.   There is much the Eagles do have,  the OL itself is tops,  Hurts as a runner is tops,  built the way you'd want.  but the Ravens have those 2 big blockers,  Boyle and Ricard, and they both do help a lot.  Jurgens can do the Boyle and Ricard stuff, and there is a lot of good video of Jurgens running for TDs, and that's something the Ravens haven't been having Ricard do all that much, he didn't have any background in running the ball.  Jurgens does.   That is the thing that Jurgens should be doing.  I'd be in no hurry to push Kelce aside.  I want to see Jurgens do this.  And then, if Kelce wants to do this,  to do some of the things his brother does, I'd be much in favor of that.  

Players like Cam Jurgens and Tyree Jackson present an unusual versatile upside that should be used,  especially in must win games like the playoffs.   Last year, the Eagles were just weakened in the run game in the playoffs, with Howard not running at all and Hurts still not 100% from the ankle injury. 

yet our small backs scored 3 TDs

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

yet our small backs scored 3 TDs

The Eagles have arguable the best run blocking oline in the NFL.

With the best run blocking oline,  you should get good results.   If the results, with the best run blocking oline, and a top tier running QB, aren't dominant,  it's likely the running backs or the lack of big additional blockers.

And what happened,  the Eagles do have top run blocking OL and top running QB, and you had solid results,  the Eagles were able to run at will pretty much between the 20s.  But in short yardage,  it was not as easy as I'd like to see with that top run blocking OL and that tops running QB.   The Eagles won.  There is not failure to point at in a win.   But I don't want a result like last years loss to the 9ers in order to get really pissed off.

I can pull plays from the play by play.

4th & 5 at DET 40

(7:13 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Hurts pass incomplete short right to A.Brown (A.Oruwariye).

Between the 20s,  the run game worked.  This was 2nd and 5 after a 5 yard first down run,
then 3 incomplete passes.

1st & 5 at DET 5

(14:33 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Hurts pass incomplete short middle to A.Brown (T.Walker).
2nd & Goal at DET 5

(14:30 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Sanders left end to DET 2 for 3 yards (A.Bryant).
3rd & Goal at DET 2

(13:46 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Hurts right end to DET 1 for 1 yard (A.Anzalone, M.Rodriguez).
4th & Goal at DET 1

(12:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Hurts scrambles right end for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.J.Elliott extra point is GOOD, Center-R.Lovato, Holder-A.Siposs.

This was a TD.  But I'd prefer that it not go to 4th down after a first and goal from the 5.  Still, it worked.

1st & Goal at DET 4

(0:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Sanders left end to DET 5 for -1 yards (A.Anzalone, M.Hughes).

(0:14 - 2nd) Timeout #3 by PHI at 00:14.
2nd & 5 at DET 5

(0:14 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Hurts pass incomplete short left to K.Gainwell.
3rd & 5 at DET 5

(0:11 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Hurts pass incomplete short right to A.Brown (I.Buggs).
4th & Goal at DET 5

(0:06 - 2nd) J.Elliott 23 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-R.Lovato, Holder-A.Siposs.
passes didn't work at the goal line,  settled for a FG.

1st & 10 at DET 14

(11:08 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Hurts scrambles right tackle to DET 6 for 8 yards (M.Rodriguez).
2nd & 2 at DET 6

(10:45 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Gainwell up the middle to DET 2 for 4 yards (T.Walker).
1st & Goal at DET 2

(10:21 - 3rd) Kenneth Gainwell 2 Yd Rush J.Elliott extra point is GOOD, Center-R.Lovato, Holder-A.Siposs.

This was a good set of plays.  No issues there.

3rd & 1 at DET 40

(1:50 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Scott up the middle to DET 40 for no gain (M.Rodriguez).
4th & 1 at DET 40

(1:06 - 4th) J.Hurts up the middle to DET 39 for 1 yard (D.Barnes).

Would have preferred that there not have to be a 4th and 1 there.

I'm just saying that I'd want dominance at goal line.  With the players that are there, they could achieve that.

Eagles won in a difficult game. If you believe the Eagles would lose to the Lions, then you must believe the Vikings are going to steam roll us at home on Monday Night.

Eagles, Lions and Vikings re all teams that should surpass thier win totals from last year by a good 3-4 games.  No shame in Detroit coming back like that, they have one of the NFC's better offenses and play to the end for their coach so back door covers should be a recurring theme for them.

Eagles & Vikings were the two best NFC teams in week 1.  everything point to these two vying for seedings in december.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Ravens fan here.  All those fullbacks and blocking TE's are no substitute for a beastly offensive line and that was evident in week 1 where the Ravens couldn't get their running game going while the Eagles ran at will.

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

did the Lions have the ball with a chance to win or tie?  The Eagles took a sizeable lead in the 2nd,  and there was an anxious moment there at the end,  but the Lions never had the ball in the second half with a chance to take the lead.

I don't mind if you accept underachieving teams and poor play. 

The Eagles looked a little unprepared. They were shaking off the dust throughout the entire game. And they still put up 38 points. 
The Lions came out swinging. They scored on the opening drive and they kept themselves in the game. Last year, they folded as soon as the Eagles went up on them. This year, they kept fighting back.
The defense needs to tighten up some things. But it will be scary if he Eagles can get firing on all cylinders.