It's not enough that we have the best receiving corps in the NFL

JP HOF

1. It's not the best WR group in the NFL; they haven't even played together yet
  2. If it is the best WR group in the NFL, why would they be a run first offense?
  3. They ran more last year because of a struggling passing game
  4. Lurie wants an explosive passing offense, he's said that for years
  5. They didn't trade for AJ Brown so he can run block
  6. You do want a solid running game and balance; use the right plays in the right situations. 
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

So who's clone are you? I'm thinking RR

Me?  I'm a RR.   Not me.

I do generally agree with what he's saying.  

But my thinking is that the Eagles will generally win.   And the 2 things I was concerned about recently were.  1) don't lose a game by throwing the ball to Reagor over and over at the end of games and Reagor dropping it all the time.  That was the Giants loss.  2) don't lose a game by not having a goal line plan that involves big players replacing small players and running.   That was the 9ers loss. 

The 1) problem was solved by getting rid of Reagor.  We won't know if the 2) problem is solved until the games.  The Eagles don't have the kind of big back that I like for that goal line situation.  But they do have Jalen Hurts,  great runner,  220+ pounds, bigger than any back the Eagles have.   The Eagles do have a lot of freakbeast players who I'd like to see on the field in goal line situations.  I've mentioned Cam Jurgens the most, he's one of the freakbeast athletes,  he is likely to be sitting on the bench otherwise, he looked great in the preseason and I want to see him on the field, and there is a lot of youtube video showing Cam doing the things we want him to do,  power running, blocking and catching.  I think the other freakbeasts could do the job,  but they might Inot have done that as much as Cam and there isn't the video.  If the freakbeast DTs want to be on the field to block or run for a TD,  I'm in favor of that.  But there is a lot of video of Cam running for TDs and there isn't as much, or any, video of the DTs doing that.  But they're freakbeasts.    Hurts is 222 pounds and runs 4.59.  That's good size and speed for a big running back.   Milton Williams is 285 pounds and runs 4.67.  Jordan Davis,  341 and 4.78.   I don't like to see the little guys on the field 1st and goal from the 2.  I want to see the big freakbeasts.  The Eagles do have big freakbeasts,  they don't have big running backs.  And Cam Jurgens, who this year at least is slated to sit,  does have that excellent versatility,  4th best TE coming out of high school according to ESPN, he could be doing that stuff in a number of different situations,  not just goal line.

59 minutes ago, NOTW said:
  1. It's not the best WR group in the NFL; they haven't even played together yet
  2. If it is the best WR group in the NFL, why would they be a run first offense?
  3. They ran more last year because of a struggling passing game
  4. Lurie wants an explosive passing offense, he's said that for years
  5. They didn't trade for AJ Brown so he can run block
  6. You do want a solid running game and balance; use the right plays in the right situations. 

"If it is the best WR group in the NFL, why would they be a run first offense?"

Because Hurts is a great runner, big and built for running, and most importantly,  the great OL is greatest at run blocking.

My thinking is that the Eagles have good or great players all over the place and they'll be able to move the ball between the 20s with either running or passing.   I'm not as interested in seeing a lot of little wrs out there when Cam Jurgens could be out there, very capable of blocking.    The Eagles are very likely to have Brown, Smith and Goedert out there most of the time.  All pass catching stars.  And Hurts.   And I'd like to see  - using the Ravens as an example - a Nick Boyle blocking TE type and a Patrick Ricard 300 pound FB type out there.   And that's Cam Jurgens.  If it's a too small for my liking RB and Quez in the slot,  I still think the Eagles move the ball between the 20s.   Reagor, who sucked and who was on the field most of the time, is not there.   I'd like Tyree Jackson on the field when he gets healthy.  

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

You don't run 1st in today's NFL if you have a good QB, WR's and TE's. You run 1st if you suck at those positions.

If you have a dominant run blocking OL, and a top of the line running QB,  I see no reason why not run first.

Defenses are not built to stop the run.  Smaller, faster LBs,  more DBs, fewer bigger, stronger LBs.  So teams that are built to run have an advantage.  The media likes to push teams to pass, but that doesn't help those teams.  And the rules were changed to help passing, which was what caused the defenses to stop the pass and not the run.

• Like 1

Just now, Random Reglar said:

If you have a dominant run blocking OL, and a top of the line running QB,  I see no reason why not run first.

Defenses are not built to stop the run.  Smaller, faster LBs,  more DBs, fewer bigger, stronger LBs.  So teams that are built to run have an advantage.  The media likes to push teams to pass, but that doesn't help those teams.  And the rules were changed to help passing, which was what caused the defenses to stop the pass and not the run.

They ran 1st because Hurts sucked, and everyone (except you?) knows it. They HAD to run. That's not how you win playoff games and Super Bowls. Did you watch the playoffs last year? What did you see? ELITE QB play. End of story.

2 hours ago, olsilverhair said:

It’s not nonsense

At this point it is.  Let’s see what happens and revisit after, ya know, a game or two.

57 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Me?  I'm a RR.   Not me.

I do generally agree with what he's saying.  

But my thinking is that the Eagles will generally win.   And the 2 things I was concerned about recently were.  1) don't lose a game by throwing the ball to Reagor over and over at the end of games and Reagor dropping it all the time.  That was the Giants loss.  2) don't lose a game by not having a goal line plan that involves big players replacing small players and running.   That was the 9ers loss. 

The 1) problem was solved by getting rid of Reagor.  We won't know if the 2) problem is solved until the games.  The Eagles don't have the kind of big back that I like for that goal line situation.  But they do have Jalen Hurts,  great runner,  220+ pounds, bigger than any back the Eagles have.   The Eagles do have a lot of freakbeast players who I'd like to see on the field in goal line situations.  I've mentioned Cam Jurgens the most, he's one of the freakbeast athletes,  he is likely to be sitting on the bench otherwise, he looked great in the preseason and I want to see him on the field, and there is a lot of youtube video showing Cam doing the things we want him to do,  power running, blocking and catching.  I think the other freakbeasts could do the job,  but they might Inot have done that as much as Cam and there isn't the video.  If the freakbeast DTs want to be on the field to block or run for a TD,  I'm in favor of that.  But there is a lot of video of Cam running for TDs and there isn't as much, or any, video of the DTs doing that.  But they're freakbeasts.    Hurts is 222 pounds and runs 4.59.  That's good size and speed for a big running back.   Milton Williams is 285 pounds and runs 4.67.  Jordan Davis,  341 and 4.78.   I don't like to see the little guys on the field 1st and goal from the 2.  I want to see the big freakbeasts.  The Eagles do have big freakbeasts,  they don't have big running backs.  And Cam Jurgens, who this year at least is slated to sit,  does have that excellent versatility,  4th best TE coming out of high school according to ESPN, he could be doing that stuff in a number of different situations,  not just goal line.

You are definitely the RR I was talking about lol will never get the "it's okay for my potential franchise QB to be thought of as a runningback" mentality...

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

They ran 1st because Hurts sucked, and everyone (except you?) knows it. They HAD to run. That's not how you win playoff games and Super Bowls. Did you watch the playoffs last year? What did you see? ELITE QB play. End of story.

Hurts and Howard were injured

Hurts was great at  running and solid enough at passing last year.  The Eagles won 5 more games with Hurts than with Wentz.   You're ignoring key facts.

57 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

You are definitely the RR I was talking about lol will never get the "it's okay for my potential franchise QB to be thought of as a runningback" mentality...

I don't talk about "franchise QB"   There is no such thing as "franchise QB".   It's a term made up by the MSM.    There are QBs.   There are starting QBs,  backup QBs.  And then there are adjectives to describe the QBs.   Bad, good, great.   But there is no such thing as a "Franchise QB".   And you're not going to see me using the term "Franchise QB" because it's not a real thing.  So,  that quote thing you did was wrong.   

The Media is Trash,  the MSM is Garbage,  and your comment seems like it it's taken from their playbook.   I don't care what someone is "thought of".   Hurts got wins last year.  Hurts will get wins this year.   Running QBs win.

12 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I don't talk about "franchise QB"   There is no such thing as "franchise QB".   It's a term made up by the MSM.    There are QBs.   There are starting QBs,  backup QBs.  And then there are adjectives to describe the QBs.   Bad, good, great.   But there is no such thing as a "Franchise QB".   And you're not going to see me using the term "Franchise QB" because it's not a real thing.  So,  that quote thing you did was wrong.   

The Media is Trash,  the MSM is Garbage,  and your comment seems like it it's taken from their playbook.   I don't care what someone is "thought of".   Hurts got wins last year.  Hurts will get wins this year.   Running QBs win.

Calm down. Wasn't attacking. I don't see a long term starting QB as something you throw into defenders hands on purpose. Easier for you to digest there?

25 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Hurts and Howard were injured

Hurts was great at  running and solid enough at passing last year.  The Eagles won 5 more games with Hurts than with Wentz.   You're ignoring key facts.

Against losing teams.

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'd like to see our offense progress in the passing department. I never want to abandon the run like teams of past did frequently, but establishing the passing game as just as big a threat as the running game will only make runs more effective. 

This. 100%. 

The days of being a "run first" or "pass first" offense are long gone.  The best coaches in the NFL know that both the passing game and running game compliment each other in the modern NFL and the best game plans/schemes are based on match ups/etc vs being just "run first" or "pass first".  The best game plans/schemes can change from half time to half time, from quarter to quarter and even from drive to drive.  All depending on flow of the game, match ups, etc. 

We saw it last night with the Bills.  Despite 4 offensive turnovers, they still were able to adjust their game plan and win by 21 points.  That's the future of the NFL, imo.  

14 hours ago, JP HOF said:

We must run it a similar amount to how we did when we got on a roll last year.  I suspect Siriani is infatuated with the pass game especially as it stands now and that could be an equalizer for a team where our greatest strength is our power offensive line.  We need to be run first.  I'm pretty sure we won't be.

And we don’t have the best WR group in the NFL.  Vikings and Bengals light years ahead of us.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And we don’t have the best WR group in the NFL.  Vikings and Bengals light years ahead of us.

I think in terms of "talent" and on paper we could have among the best WR groups in the NFL.  (Potentially top 5-10 imo) but just like AJ Brown recently alluded, they're just like anyone else until they execute and perform on the field.  

I don't care if its 45-55 or 50-50 or 55-45 run pass as long as they can run out the clock at the end and exploit the run or pass weakness of whoever is on the schedule.

I don't need 28 carries against the 30th ranked pass D. Just drop 45 on them then run some at the end.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

lol

I would rank the Bengals ahead of us, but "light years" is an exaggeration. They've been together for a year so I'd say they are 1 year ahead of us (whatever that means).

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I think in terms of "talent" and on paper we could have among the best WR groups in the NFL.  (Potentially top 5-10 imo) but just like AJ Brown recently alluded, they're just like anyone else until they execute and perform on the field.  

Counting pass targets were are up there with anyone (counting Goedert and the backs)

I'd take Jefferson or Diggs or Evans or Chase over Brown but I'd take Philly's rest over any of theirs.

Its just really nice being in the conversation for top 10 or top 5 weapons.

13 hours ago, JP HOF said:

huh?  I'm a diehard fan who stopped posting here cause a couple guys trolled my every post.  i blocked them so now I'm back to trying now and again.  my previous name was MathisGone.

My unsolicited advice on this or any message board is to relax, find some value, perhaps a laugh or something intelligent.  And don't assign it too much value in your life.  

--

I would like some balance and not be sure what the hell we are going to do. 

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Its just really nice being in the conversation for top 10 or top 5 weapons.

Yeah it is nice.  In terms of a "pre-season" roster on paper this team seems to have as much talent as the 2004 team (pre-season).  (Ended up with 10 pro-bowlers, 4 All_Pros and a Super Bowl appearance).

The 2017 team looked "good" on paper "pre-season" but what made that team special wasn't the "talent on paper" it's what they did on the field.  (Only 6 pro-bowlers but won the Super Bowl). 

Let's hope this team has the talent of the 2004 team on paper and plays like the 2017 team did on the field.  :Eagle_smiley:

20 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

lol

I would rank the Bengals ahead of us, but "light years" is an exaggeration. They've been together for a year so I'd say they are 1 year ahead of us (whatever that means).

There #3 matched our #1.  

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lurie has said it over and over he wants a prolific passing offense. So no don't expect power running. 

He is talking about @downundermike and I. Yeah he isn't a clone just a clueless thread creator

I still think he’s izdum 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

There #3 matched our #1.  

So we're ranking last year's groups then. I thought we were talking about 2022.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

At this point it is.  Let’s see what happens and revisit after, ya know, a game or two.

Ok, 2 and thats it, no more

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JP HOF said:

huh?  I'm a diehard fan who stopped posting here cause a couple guys trolled my every post.  i blocked them so now I'm back to trying now and again.  my previous name was MathisGone.

Ignore is your friend especially on the gameday threads. Don't let 2 or 3 people ruin your awesome football Sundays.

I'd say welcome back but I just got back too. :Eagle_smiley:

• Like 1