Eagles becoming Free Agents in 2023 - who stays, who goes?

CheesesteakNBeer

With as well as this team is playing, i can't help but think about some of the key contributors within this 6-0 start and how and who you try to keep going forward. Way early to think about this but this offseason could be very exciting. Does Kelce or Graham retire? Both starting DT's and Both Starting Linebackers are playing well, who gets extended? Hurts, Is he the guy? Sure looks like it...Do you extend him now? Do you do it early or pay extra after a deep playoff and hopefully Super Bowl win? Backup QB, Running back, Secondary? There's even a former 1st round pick left tackle? Do you let him walk?

Alot of questions coming...What a great roster Howie assembled, but this off season might be his most important.

Screenshot_20221017-095229_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Holy crap that’s a lot of guys and a lot of guys that are really contributing. They need to get some of them back.

• Like 4

One caveat, I haven't really looked at cap space and how much we have to work with, but off the top of my head, here's what I'm thinking...

• Hargrave = top priority to res-ign. Opeta, top reserve priority to re-sign (can never have too much oline depth). Lovato should be back on a vet minimum deal.
  • Bring back Graham and Kelce if they want to come back and they're willing to sign team-friendly deals. I'd let those two stay as long as they're mildly productive and reasonably priced as they're central to the identity of the team. Breaks my heart, but would probably let Cox walk and turn the position over to Hargrave & Davis + depth.
  • White, CGJ & Bradberry could all be in line for a big payday and I don't think we'll be able to retain all of them. I'd prioritize in this order: 1. CGJ, 2. Bradberry, 3. White -- and most likely only expect to be able to retain CGJ.
  • Seumalo has proven he's willing to take a team friendly deal, so I'm optimistic we could make that happen. 
  • If Sanders is willing to do a reasonable deal, bring him back. Otherwise let him walk. (I don't expect the market to be too crazy for RBs, so this is a real possibility). Same with TJ Edwards.
  • The others I don't really care.
  • I'd wait one more year to extend Hurts, with the understanding that we'd need to essentially break the bank if he proves to be the franchise QB through this season and next. It's a risk I'd be willing to take, and a price I'd be willing to pay if he does prove himself.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Captain F said:

Screenshot_20221017-100406_Chrome.jpg

I have a sneaking feeling that Graham has come back so strongly from injury that he will want to come back next year, and at 35 we might snag him around 4-5m$ with incentives

• Like 2

Howie certainly has his work cut out for him........but he has some trade assets and high draft picks that could be used to replace some guys.  

After watching mediocre to bad LB play for so many years here, I want to see them resign White and Edwards.

It'll be interesting to see how Howie goes about this.....

• Like 4

I would expect some extensions during the season which they've done a lot of in the past, then others a wait and see in free agency.  

Definitely keep these guys:

• Bradberry
  • Seumalo
  • Kyzir White
  • Edwards
  • Gardner-Johnson
  • Lovato

The rest will depend on their decisions to retire, leave for more money or if the Eagles want an upgrade.  Cox and Sanders will be gone but they'll want to re-sign some others for continuity on the roster.  

30 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Howie certainly has his work cut out for him........but he has some trade assets and high draft picks that could be used to replace some guys.  

After watching mediocre to bad LB play for so many years here, I want to see them resign White and Edwards.

It'll be interesting to see how Howie goes about this.....

Hard to believe we actually like the LB group and want them retained after so many years of bad LBs.  Howie has really done a nice job the last couple years fixing the roster.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Hard to believe we actually like the LB group and want them retained after so many years of bad LBs.  Howie has really done a nice job the last couple years fixing the roster.

So true about the LBs.......and it's been fun watching 2 really good CBs too.

And it's true that Howie has fixed this roster......the talent level hasn't been this high for some time.  

A lot is going to depend on who they resign and who they sign in free agency as to what the priorities are in the draft.  Although Driscoll seems to do a good job when Johnson is out, I still think the eagles need to get that other "bookend" for the future.  

And a monster defensive end would be fun too.  But I'm just going to enjoy this season right now.....

• Like 1

It's going to be hard to retain both White and Edwards. Both of them are going to want a nice payday, as they should. They've both been terrific, but we also have Nakobe Dean waiting to step in and be the future.

Howie definitely has some tough decisions to make.

• Like 2

I'd prioritize CGJ and Bradberry. It feels great to finally have a good secondary. TJ Edwards needs to stay being the captain of the defense. Hopefully BG wants to stay for a few million only. 

I don't see how Howie could make room for Sanders, White, Seumalo, Hargrave and Cox. Kelce will most likely retire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

It's going to be hard to retain both White and Edwards. Both of them are going to want a nice payday, as they should. Both of them have been terrific, but we also have Nakobe Dean waiting to step in and be the future.

Howie definitely has some tough decisions to make.

Yeah, as much as I'd like to keep White and Edwards, I'd be shocked if we retained both with a cheaper alternative waiting in the wings and a long list of UFAs that we'll have to make decisions on. 

• Like 1

I don’t see how we can afford Bradbury and CGJ. They’ll both break the bank. We were lucky to get Bradbury on a one year and he’s definitely earning that next huge contract. Would like to keep one of Kyzir or Edwards. As stated earlier it’s nice to have good LBs again. If we win, sadly I think Kelce 100% going out on high note. If we get close, we may get one more year. BG def coming back and will probably sign at reasonable price for year or two. Cox needs to go. Not worth his paycheck anymore, which sucks, but that’s football. All rbs and Minshew will be gone for sure for other opportunities unless they get no action on market. Fine either way. Def want to keep oline depth even if it costs a little. 

Im of mind we need to sign Hurts earlier vs later. Might even be able to get him to take longer deal with more pumped up value but not gut the salary cap like a Rodgers does ever time he resigns. I think he wants to win as much as he wants to get paid and will be reasonable. Plus market price skyrockets every single year you wait unless he falls apart. 

In Howie we trust, it will make for a interesting offseason, especially coming off the Super Bowl win😁.  I'd love to keep them all but the better they play the less of a chance we can afford them. Great discussion.

10 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

In Howie we trust, it will make for a interesting offseason, especially coming off the Super Bowl win😁.  I'd love to keep them all but the better they play the less of a chance we can afford them. Great discussion.

I wonder if some of these older guys just retire if the Eagles win another ring. Cox, Graham, Johnson, and Kelce at that point have no more to prove. They would have cemented themselves in a different stratum for Eagles players. I could also see Howie trading down with the Saints pick to acquire more future picks to keep the roster stocked with younger talent. They’re going to need to find a way to keep the costs down especially if they’re truly sold on Hurts, because they’re going to have to pay him soon too. 

• Like 1

The 3 i really dont want to see walk:

kelce cjgj bradberry

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

They should trade Dillard by the deadline.

Depth for our playoff run.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

kelce cjgj bradberry

I think Kelce will be done after this year. Almost certainly if they win a SB.

I love Bradberry, but I think he is going to be too expensive after this year. I think Howie has a plan in place to keep CJGJ, or they wouldn't have traded for him.

I'd hate to bust up our LB core, but I think we only keep one of TJ and Kyzir. Hopefully, Dean steps up next year and we can still have good LB play.

My guys to extend 

Lavato- when you have one of the best player at a position you don’t let them walk away.

James Bradberry - guy has been a revelation. Is always around the ball and his instincts are some of the best I have seen coming off his coverage and  baiting QBs for INTs. Just phenomenal job he has done. 

C.J Gardner Johnson - he’s not the best tackler but he is a amazing ball hawk. He was traded for a reason and he’s a for we Gator so Howie will make sure he stays. 

Sua Opeta - RFA and a very good guard that can play both sides. Each time he comes in he fill in just fine. He could also compete to start at RG. 

Kyzir White - T.J will get paid by someone and it could be us but we do have Nakobe Dean and he has range, physical strength, and a dominant pass rusher. A lot of people thought he was the best value of the draft. He also knows how to play off Davis. I love T.J but I think he will get a way bigger offer than we can afford.

Zach Pascal - is a excellent role player and doesn’t complain about anything. Is a great blocker and also frees other WRs so they can get easy balls there way. 

Janarius Robinson- the guy is a amazing athlete and if he can continue to develop we may have another steal from FSU. Josh Sweat is the same mold and if he can learn from him we could have a steal on our hands. 

Marcus Epps- if we can get him on a team discount I would love to bring back our entire secondary. That way we can solely focus on the DLine in the draft so we can get great talent added for cheap 

12 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

kelce cjgj bradberry

Like seriously, what are we going to get that’s worth more than a swing tackle in a 6-0 season that’s already had a plethora of Oline injuries.

”Looks like Johnson’s concussion is much worse than we thought and Mailata has another contusion, but thank god we got that conditional 5th rounder.”

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, Captain F said:

Screenshot_20221017-100406_Chrome.jpg

Take that goddamn red line off BG’s name. Graham is an Eagle until the day he retires. And I don’t think he’s hanging it up after this season unless they win the SB. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

My guys to extend 

Lavato- when you have one of the best player at a position you don’t let them walk away.

James Bradberry - guy has been a revelation. Is always around the ball and his instincts are some of the best I have seen coming off his coverage and  baiting QBs for INTs. Just phenomenal job he has done. 

C.J Gardner Johnson - he’s not the best tackler but he is a amazing ball hawk. He was traded for a reason and he’s a for we Gator so Howie will make sure he stays. 

Sua Opeta - RFA and a very good guard that can play both sides. Each time he comes in he fill in just fine. He could also compete to start at RG. 

Kyzir White - T.J will get paid by someone and it could be us but we do have Nakobe Dean and he has range, physical strength, and a dominant pass rusher. A lot of people thought he was the best value of the draft. He also knows how to play off Davis. I love T.J but I think he will get a way bigger offer than we can afford.

Zach Pascal - is a excellent role player and doesn’t complain about anything. Is a great blocker and also frees other WRs so they can get easy balls there way. 

Janarius Robinson- the guy is a amazing athlete and if he can continue to develop we may have another steal from FSU. Josh Sweat is the same mold and if he can learn from him we could have a steal on our hands. 

Marcus Epps- if we can get him on a team discount I would love to bring back our entire secondary. That way we can solely focus on the DLine in the draft so we can get great talent added for cheap 

I agree with these… except I don’t think they can afford both Bradberry and CJGJ after Hurts gets his extension. 

Lot of money potentially coming off this year with Cox, Hargrave, Seumalo, Kelce, Barnett & Graham (would keep for cheap deal). I think we can keep the secondary/defense mostly intact without a problem. Will address D- Line/O-line in draft cheaply. Howie will know how to stagger all of this, as usual, if he wants to keep you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jojodancer said:

Lot of money potentially coming off this year with Cox, Hargrave, Seumalo, Kelce, Barnett & Graham (would keep for cheap deal). I think we can keep the secondary/defense mostly intact without a problem. Will address D- Line/O-line in draft cheaply. Howie will know how to stagger all of this, as usual, if he wants to keep you.

Howie still has draft picks in his back pocket, and if the Saints keep it up he’s going to have a top five pick in the draft. He could probably trade down and make that pick turn into even more picks. Some of these guys aren’t going to return, but Howie is going to have draft picks ready to replace them too. Resigning guys to me isn’t as important as Howie doing a bang up job drafting players over the next few years. I agree with you about the secondary though. I don’t think it’s going to be as difficult to lock up some of these guys as people are making it out to be every year. Howie always finds ways to make the cap numbers work even when we were strapped with the Wentz contract he did that.