Eagles becoming Free Agents in 2023 - who stays, who goes?

CheesesteakNBeer

On 11/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, EagleVA said:

Howie's got it my arse, he's responsible for getting us in this situation, by missing on so many picks he has to resort to spending Lurie's money on UDFAs and if any of them turn out to be worth a damn you have to pay a zillion dollars a year to keep them.

To be clear: you don't think Howie has done well building this team?  Some might argue that "this situation", with its deep, talented roster and basket of quality draft picks is the best in the league.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

To be clear: you don't think Howie has done well building this team?  Some might argue that "this situation", with its deep, talented roster and basket of quality draft picks is the best in the league.  

It all depends on what you call well, for instance, after the SB year they were horrible.......from my perspective doing well builds sustained winning.

You don't build a team that sustains winning via FA signings, let's see how well the team does after not being able to keep all of his FA signings this year.

• 2 months later...

As the Super Bowl nears, it should play a pivotal role in deciding our offseason approach. I still firmly believe that defenses win championships. The defense that the Eagles put together this year is about as good as a team can hope for in this era. We are facing a very good offense that has demonstrated that they don't get rattled easy even when they get behind. Their QB has abnormal passing abilities and all the confidence in the world. Both teams will be motivated to have their best game. 

This defense was put together for this situation. If it can't make things hard for Mahomes and the Chiefs Sunday, it will be hugely disappointing. If such a thing happens, the Eagles should not be afraid to let any of our UFAs sign elsewhere. Right now, I'm hoping to retain as many key guys as possible.  But if the Chiefs somehow put on an offensive clinic in the biggest game of the year, we shouldn't be afraid to cut our losses.

For the record, I believe our defense will rise to the occasion. There just seems to be a little bit of a discussion lull on the EMB heading into the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

As the Super Bowl nears, it should play a pivotal role in deciding our offseason approach. I still firmly believe that defenses win championships. The defense that the Eagles put together this year is about as good as a team can hope for in this era. We are facing a very good offense that has demonstrated that they don't get rattled easy even when they get behind. Their QB has abnormal passing abilities and all the confidence in the world. Both teams will be motivated to have their best game. 

This defense was put together for this situation. If it can't make things hard for Mahomes and the Chiefs Sunday, it will be hugely disappointing. If such a thing happens, the Eagles should not be afraid to let any of our UFAs sign elsewhere. Right now, I'm hoping to retain as many key guys as possible.  But if the Chiefs somehow put on an offensive clinic in the biggest game of the year, we shouldn't be afraid to cut our losses.

For the record, I believe our defense will rise to the occasion. There just seems to be a little bit of a discussion lull on the EMB heading into the Super Bowl. 

Well as more and more leaks are coming out that the front office is looking to extend Hurts this off season rather than next, we will have to watch some free agents walk regardless. I also think there's some guys like Hargrave, Bradberry and maybe even Edwards that might cash in big elsewhere with teams that have a huge amount of cap space and willing to over pay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Well as more and more leaks are coming out that the front office is looking to extend Hurts this off season rather than next, we will have to watch some free agents walk regardless. I also think there's some guys like Hargrave, Bradberry and maybe even Edwards that might cash in big elsewhere with teams that have a huge amount of cap space and willing to over pay.

It's a given that a deal with Hurts is the #1 priority. Every year you wait, the bar gets moved up for franchise QBs. Herbert and Burrow are due for their extensions and whichever camp is last to agree will pay the most. 

Ideally, you want to keep a successful team together and you never want to become just an offensive or defensive team. You want to be as complete as possible. Because of our current cap situation, what happens in this game will probably dictate the rest of the offseason priorities. The offense will already remain mostly intact. Decisions will have to be made for Kelce, Seumalo, and Sanders. Of the 3, only Seumalo doesn't have a clear replacement already on the roster. 

That's why I believe if the defense falters, we might prioritize keeping the offense fully intact --- work out a deal with Kelce for 1 more season, bring back Seumalo, and attempt to keep Sanders after he tests his market value. 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:13 AM, brkmsn said:

The Eagles have a large sum of their offensive players locked up for some time as it is, but they have a lot of defensive holes. I believe they will try and bring a couple players back if they can, but they also have multiple first round picks to work with also so I see the potential of them trying to move at least one of those picks for at least one more future first. The only way to combat the rising cost of Jalen’s contract would be to have as many controllable assets as possible and the best way to do that is with drafting players. Kelce is one of the greats, but they have already drafted his replacement and he’s learning behind him now. The Eagles might need to make some difficult decisions on some players. Kelce might be one of those guys along with Cox, and Brandon Graham. 

Here is how I see things shaking out.

1) The aging DLs.  Cox, Graham, Linval, Suh, Joseph and Quinn are all well into their 30s.  These are not long-term solutions to any roster spots.  If Cox or Graham want to come back on a one year deal at a price that reflects their age and declining skills, then the Eagles will likely get that done, but otherwise all these guys will probably be let go.

2) The aging but valuable defensive pieces.  Hargrave and Bradberry are a little trickier -- they are still valuable pieces, but Hargrave just turned 30, and Bradberry is not young either (29.5) at a position which tends not to age well.  The Eagles will probably make a legitimate attempt to sign both these guys on 2 or 3 year deals, but if the players are determined to get top dollar, they too will likely be gone.

3) The LBs.  Kyzir White and TJ Edwards are good players at 26 years old, but these are linebackers and wth the Eagles' philosophy that LBs are a dime a dozen they are not going to break the bank at that position, especially with Dean waiting in the wings.  They will probably kick the tires on a 3 or 4 year deal with these guys, and will probably play them off each other and sign one.

4) The safeties.  CJGJ and Epps are both in their prime (25 and just 27 respectively) and the Eagles do not want to lose either of them and certainly not both.  They are likely to go very hard after CJGJ to try to lock him up for 4 or 5 years and will also try to sign Epps (with more urgency if they cannot sign CJGJ).

5) The RBs.  The Eagles have enjoyed Sanders' services at a very cheap price (about $1.7M per year).  They do not believe in paying RBs, so they will likely let Sanders walk, start Gainwell and draft another guy.  OTOH, Boston Scott can still be had cheap and they will probably bring him back on a cheap contract.

6) The O-line pieces.  Jason Kelce is 35 and seems very likely to retire after the Super Bowl, and his replacement is lined up on the roster already.  Seumalo is 29 and a pretty valuable piece though not unreplaceable - they will likely try to sign him to a longer term contract at a reasonable price but let him go if he is too expensive.  Dillard is 27 and seems like he is geared up to test the free agent market, especially now that he has shown some good film playing the interior that will add to his value - they are probably willing to bring him back but not at the price he will command, so he is probably gone.

7) Long Snapper.  Lovato is 30 and good at his job and will not break the bank, so they will likely sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal.

😎 Backup QB.  Minshew will undoubtedly test the waters in the free agent market - if he does not see a place with a better opportunity to start than the Eagles, it would not be shocking to see them sign him back at a backup QB price.

9) The rest.  WR Pascal, TE Tyree Jackson.  They are probably open to bringing both of these guys back, but neither are a priority.

Finally, I will just add that the vast majority of these players were not on the roster or even on the radar screen last year at this time.  If it seems like we are losing a lot of the roster, rest assured that Roseman will continue to scan the market and pounce on values to add good players at reasonable prices where they are to be had like he did with many of these players last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles have a large sum of their offensive players locked up for some time as it is, but they have a lot of defensive holes. I believe they will try and bring a couple players back if they can, but they also have multiple first round picks to work with also so I see the potential of them trying to move at least one of those picks for at least one more future first. The only way to combat the rising cost of Jalen’s contract would be to have as many controllable assets as possible and the best way to do that is with drafting players. Kelce is one of the greats, but they have already drafted his replacement and he’s learning behind him now. The Eagles might need to make some difficult decisions on some players. Kelce might be one of those guys along with Cox, and Brandon Graham. 

They've already told Kelce he's welcome back as long as he wants to play. It would be cool if he finished his career with a Chris Long-like contract, understanding our cap situation. He's worth so much more, though. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

They've already told Kelce he's welcome back as long as he wants to play. It would be cool if he finished his career with a Chris Long-like contract, understanding our cap situation. He's worth so much more, though. 

It’s probably up to him, but they did already draft his replacement. At some point he’s going to need to play to see what he can do. Kelce’s been flirting with retirement for multiple years now. If he wins another SB he has little more to prove. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s probably up to him, but they did already draft his replacement. At some point he’s going to need to play to see what he can do. Kelce’s been flirting with retirement for multiple years now. If he wins another SB he has little more to prove. 

Kelce isn't playing to prove anything. He's playing because he still loves playing. That is the deciding factor when he retires. 

I know we drafted his replacement. That doesn't really mean anything. His replacement can't outplay him yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Kelce isn't playing to prove anything. He's playing because he still loves playing. That is the deciding factor when he retires. 

I know we drafted his replacement. That doesn't really mean anything. His replacement can't outplay him yet. 

You know what they say. This is a business. Kelce’s having fun right now sure, but they don’t have a blank check for him especially when a) they have to pay the quarterback and b) they already drafted his replacement. His replacement doesn’t have to be ready to outplay him. He just needs to be ready to go when he’s called on. There’s going to be a lot of difficult choices made on some key veterans for this team. It’s possible they let Seumalo walk and move the kid to guard till Kelce is ready move on too. I just wouldn’t be so quick to think he’s a lock to be here next season despite how he may feel about playing. For all we know he may want to go play for his old coach and with his brother. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

You know what they say. This is a business. Kelce’s having fun right now sure, but they don’t have a blank check for him especially when a) they have to pay the quarterback and b) they already drafted his replacement. His replacement doesn’t have to be ready to outplay him. He just needs to be ready to go when he’s called on. There’s going to be a lot of difficult choices made on some key veterans for this team. It’s possible they let Seumalo walk and move the kid to guard till Kelce is ready move on too. I just wouldn’t be so quick to think he’s a lock to be here next season despite how he may feel about playing. For all we know he may want to go play for his old coach and with his brother. 

Sirianni: (Jan 20, 2022)

"I sent him two kegs of beer yesterday. You know what, he's awesome and I've told him how much we want him back. He's an unbelievable leader. Everything you hear about—if you don't know Jason Kelce personally, everything you hear about him is as advertised. He's awesome, he's a great leader, he's a great player.

"He's the backbone of this team, he's so smart as a football player, like he makes us go as a team. As long as Jason wants to play. I think in the middle of the year I said, 'You got five more years in you?'

"As long as he wants to go, we want him to go. And I'll be trying to convince him every single day that I can, to come back and play, and we'll see how it goes. Ultimately, Jason has to do what's best for himself and what is best for his family, but we would love the opportunity to have Jason Kelce back on this football team to help us lead the way again."

Kelce: (Mar 5, 2021)

"I'm having fun and as long as I'm having fun and I feel I'm playing at a level I want to play at, I'm going to keep doing it,"

(Feb 4, 2022)

"I think the competitive side really wants to keep playing. There’s no question about that. But it is getting harder every single year, and the league has changed so much. I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep playing this long if Wednesdays weren’t significantly scaled down, if we were hitting every single day. That’s why a lot of these guys are going to play for much longer than guys have ever played.”

Kelce continued, "So we’ll see. I think, to answer your question, I want to. But I gotta make sure it’s the smart thing to do and that I still can do that and be a good teammate, a good leader, and a good player. As long as I can do all three of those, then I’m definitely coming back.”

(Feb 12, 2022)

"We’ll see. I don’t know where I’m at to be honest with you,” Kelce told Clark. "I’m all over the place in my head but I do love playing, I love my teammates, I love the city. If I’m going to stop doing that, it better be worth it.”

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Sirianni: (Jan 20, 2022)

"I sent him two kegs of beer yesterday. You know what, he's awesome and I've told him how much we want him back. He's an unbelievable leader. Everything you hear about—if you don't know Jason Kelce personally, everything you hear about him is as advertised. He's awesome, he's a great leader, he's a great player.

"He's the backbone of this team, he's so smart as a football player, like he makes us go as a team. As long as Jason wants to play. I think in the middle of the year I said, 'You got five more years in you?'

"As long as he wants to go, we want him to go. And I'll be trying to convince him every single day that I can, to come back and play, and we'll see how it goes. Ultimately, Jason has to do what's best for himself and what is best for his family, but we would love the opportunity to have Jason Kelce back on this football team to help us lead the way again."

Kelce: (Mar 5, 2021)

"I'm having fun and as long as I'm having fun and I feel I'm playing at a level I want to play at, I'm going to keep doing it,"

(Feb 4, 2022)

"I think the competitive side really wants to keep playing. There’s no question about that. But it is getting harder every single year, and the league has changed so much. I probably wouldn’t have been able to keep playing this long if Wednesdays weren’t significantly scaled down, if we were hitting every single day. That’s why a lot of these guys are going to play for much longer than guys have ever played.”

Kelce continued, "So we’ll see. I think, to answer your question, I want to. But I gotta make sure it’s the smart thing to do and that I still can do that and be a good teammate, a good leader, and a good player. As long as I can do all three of those, then I’m definitely coming back.”

(Feb 12, 2022)

"We’ll see. I don’t know where I’m at to be honest with you,” Kelce told Clark. "I’m all over the place in my head but I do love playing, I love my teammates, I love the city. If I’m going to stop doing that, it better be worth it.”

"We’ll see. I don’t know where I’m at to be honest with you,” Kelce told Clark. "I’m all over the place in my head but I do love playing, I love my teammates, I love the city. If I’m going to stop doing that, it better be worth it.”

I don’t know like the Eagles not paying enough? Playing for the guy who drafted you and with your brother? Furthermore this is all from 2022. It is now a year later. Things can change just like they did with Brian Dawkins who the Eagles were so sure he was coming back were promoting a cruise with meeting him. Then he didn’t come back. 

Warning: Super Bowl overreaction possible.

Let this defense burn. Let'm all walk. They simply weren't good enough to stop a good offense, so why spend cap on this crap?

I'd let Bradberry's sorry arse walk after this!!!!!!!! I can see why Giants let him walk!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Warning: Super Bowl overreaction possible.

Let this defense burn. Let'm all walk. They simply weren't good enough to stop a good offense, so why spend cap on this crap?

More people are angry with the coaches than the players. With that being the case this is a business and you know they can’t pay everyone. Some of these guys won’t be back. 

8 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I'd let Bradberry's sorry arse walk after this!!!!!!!! I can see why Giants let him walk!!!!!!!!!!

He’s been one of their better defenders all year. In some ways much better than Slay’s been too. He’s not the only guy who struggled in this game too, because Maddox looked lost all game. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He’s been one of their better defenders all year. In some ways much better than Slay’s been too. He’s not the only guy who struggled in this game too, because Maddox looked lost all game. 

Burn it all down.

4 minutes ago, Chester Copperpot said:

Burn it all down.

Well some difficult choices will need to be made. They can’t pay everyone. A lot of these guys could be wearing different uniforms next season. The priorities on defense should be Hargrave, CJGJ, Bradbury, and maybe Edwards if the price is right. Remember though Howie has been great at plucking an obscure guy entering his prime on a different team and that guy turning out great like Brooks, Barwin, and Hargrave before. Let’s see how it plays out before everyone is ready to give up on the future of this team. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Well some difficult choices will need to be made. They can’t pay everyone. A lot of these guys could be wearing different uniforms next season. The priorities on defense should be Hargrave, CJGJ, Bradbury, and maybe Edwards if the price is right. Remember though Howie has been great at plucking an obscure guy entering his prime on a different team and that guy turning out great like Brooks, Barwin, and Hargrave before. Let’s see how it plays out before everyone is ready to give up on the future of this team. 

Hargrave and CJGJ…yes.

F Bradberry and Edwards.

Bradberry should be burned at the stake.

Just now, Chester Copperpot said:

Hargrave and CJGJ…yes.

F Bradberry and Edwards.

Bradberry should be burned at the stake.

For the right money I’d like to see all four back. I’m not ready to go back to the Cary Williams/Carroll/Nelson era of corners just yet. 

I'll be happy if we keep one between White and Edwards.

I would love to see CJGJ back and, if cheap, Epps too.

Hargrave is a must, can't let all the DT walk.

Graham and Kelce to keep if they want.

Bradberry (age), Cox (he'll ask too much), Seumalo (we have picks and Stoutland), Sanders (personally I'll never pay a RB again) and the others can go.

40 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Every single one of the guys you listed will only return for more money (a lot more money) than they played for this year. In the biggest, most important game of the season, none of them made a difference. We could have been just as effective in that 2nd half with scrubs. This year's defense lacked a true leader and none of the current starters appear to be that type of guy. 

IMO, keep only the players we have under contract and start from there. We'd surely get several decent comp picks for next year's draft that we can then use to retool for cheap. There is no reason to overpay anybody on this defense.

• Like 1