Eagles becoming Free Agents in 2023 - who stays, who goes?

CheesesteakNBeer

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Every single one of the guys you listed will only return for more money (a lot more money) than they played for this year. In the biggest, most important game of the season, none of them made a difference. We could have been just as effective in that 2nd half with scrubs. This year's defense lacked a true leader and none of the current starters appear to be that type of guy. 

IMO, keep only the players we have under contract and start from there. We'd surely get several decent comp picks for next year's draft that we can then use to retool for cheap. There is no reason to overpay anybody on this defense.

We traded for CJGJ and he was a difference maker before he got hurt. Where was Cox, Graham or Gannon to right the ship? Cox and Graham are the vets who been there before and Gannon is the coach of the unit. These are the guys with the C on their chest and they were invisible on and off the field. Those are definitely the guys who need to go. The leaders who didn’t lead. 

• Like 3

The eagles pushed too much money and came up short. That isn't going away or getting renegotiated.

Jason Hargrave is UFA the eagles owe him 12 million, so is Jason Kelce. They owe him 11.2 million

Brandon Graham is owed 10 million

Isaac Seumalo is owed 7.5 million

James Bradburry is owed 5 million.

That is 46 million along with an active dead cap of 27.4 million.

That means 73.4 million in dead cap before they make a single roster move.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We traded for CJGJ and he was a difference maker before he got hurt. Where was Cox, Graham or Gannon to right the ship? Cox and Graham are the vets who been there before and Gannon is the coach of the unit. These are the guys with the C on their chest and they were invisible on and off the field. Those are definitely the guys who need to go. The leaders who didn’t lead. 

Gannon is likely gone.  Will be interesting to see who replaces him if he leaves.

Cox and Graham may not be back, and if one or both come back, it's for a last hurrah. 

9 minutes ago, Procus said:

Gannon is likely gone.  Will be interesting to see who replaces him if he leaves.

Cox and Graham may not be back, and if one or both come back, it's for a last hurrah. 

Don’t need to see a run back here. Gannon is only gone if he gets the Cardinals job, but I still doubt there will be much difference in the next hire. 

Please merge if there is one created. Tons of guys entering FA this year. Some will be very hard to let go. We'll se what they do. Scott, Hargrave, Graham, CGJ, Seumalo, TJ, Sanders and Pascal for his pass blocking come back.

Eagles’ 2023 Free Agents

Player Pos. Type Age 2022 AAV
Andre Dillard OT UFA 27 $3,092,646
Boston Scott RB UFA 27 $1,750,000
Brandon Graham DE UFA 34 $13,333,333
C.J. Gardner-Johnson SAF UFA 25 $826,025
Fletcher Cox DT UFA 32 $14,000,000
Gardner Minshew QB UFA 26 $677,721
Isaac Seumalo OG UFA 29 $5,306,000
James Bradberry CB UFA 29 $7,250,000
Javon Hargrave DT UFA 30 $13,000,000
Kyzir White OLB UFA 26 $3,000,000
Linval Joseph DT UFA 34 $2,000,000
Marcus Epps SAF UFA 27 $672,029
Miles Sanders RB UFA 25 $1,337,544
Ndamukong Suh DT UFA 36 $2,000,000
Rick Lovato LS UFA 30 $990,000
Robert Quinn DE UFA 32 $14,000,000
T.J. Edwards LB UFA 26 $2,200,000
Tyree Jackson TE ERFA 25 $755,100
Zach Pascal WR UFA 28 $1,500,000

5 minutes ago, GroundAttack said:

Please merge if there is one created. Tons of guys entering FA this year. Some will be very hard to let go. We'll se what they do. Scott, Hargrave, Graham, CGJ, Seumalo, TJ, Sanders and Pascal for his pass blocking come back.

Eagles’ 2023 Free Agents

Player Pos. Type Age 2022 AAV
Andre Dillard OT UFA 27 $3,092,646
Boston Scott RB UFA 27 $1,750,000
Brandon Graham DE UFA 34 $13,333,333
C.J. Gardner-Johnson SAF UFA 25 $826,025
Fletcher Cox DT UFA 32 $14,000,000
Gardner Minshew QB UFA 26 $677,721
Isaac Seumalo OG UFA 29 $5,306,000
James Bradberry CB UFA 29 $7,250,000
Javon Hargrave DT UFA 30 $13,000,000
Kyzir White OLB UFA 26 $3,000,000
Linval Joseph DT UFA 34 $2,000,000
Marcus Epps SAF UFA 27 $672,029
Miles Sanders RB UFA 25 $1,337,544
Ndamukong Suh DT UFA 36 $2,000,000
Rick Lovato LS UFA 30 $990,000
Robert Quinn DE UFA 32 $14,000,000
T.J. Edwards LB UFA 26 $2,200,000
Tyree Jackson TE ERFA 25 $755,100
Zach Pascal WR UFA 28 $1,500,000

No cap guy but I'd only wanna keep CJ, Bradberry, Hargrave, Isaac, and TJ. In that order

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Don’t need to see a run back here. Gannon is only gone if he gets the Cardinals job, but I still doubt there will be much difference in the next hire. 

My guess is they promote Denard Wilson the passing game and defensive backs coordinator. 

As far as Free Agency and the off season now that the season is ended.

Priority 1-5.

1. Hurts extension, guessing somewhere around 5-6 years 300-325 million, hoping Howie can structure this to a back loaded deal. And take advantage of the increasing salary cap coming.

2. Somehow lock up Chauncey GJ, offer him a fair 4-5 year. I really don't see Howie investing a draft pick and the way he played here just to let him walk, it will be up to CGJ wether he signs it or leaves to be overpaid.

3. Feel out your vets, Kelce, Cox, Graham. Really evaluate there performances this season. Imo they all earned another contract. I'd be suprised to see all of them back though.

4. Hire a new special teams coach, this has been the worst part of this team all year. Elliot and Lovato are fine but they need to bring in a young long term punter.

5. Draft well.

My wish roster next season.

LT Mailata

LG Dickerson G/T Draft Pick

C Kelce

RG Jurgens, G Opeta, C/G FA Vet

RT Johnson, Driscoll, Toth

QB1 Hurts, QB2 FA Mobile Vet QB3 Book

RB1 Gainwell, RB2 Draft Pick, RB3 Scott

WR1 Brown, WR2 Smith, WR3 Draft Pick, WR Quez, WR 5 Covey

TE1 Goedart, TE2 Grant C., TE3 Stoll

DE Sweat, Barnett, Draft Pick, Graham?, Jackson

DT Davis, M. Williams, Cox, Tuipulotu, Draft Pick

LB Reddick, TJ, Nakobe Dean, Patrick Johnson, Davion Taylor

CB Slay, Draft Pick, Maddox, McPherson, Jobe, Scott

S CGJ, Blankenship, Wallace, Draft Pick.

That has us resigning, CGJ, Kelce, Graham, Cox, Scott & TJ Edwards.

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I would probably keep CJGJ, Lovato, and Pascal. Let everyone else walk.

I know.. but I think we are finally at the point where we say thanks but no thanks anymore to Cox and Graham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

My guess is they promote Denard Wilson the passing game and defensive backs coordinator. 

Priority 1-5.

1. Hurts extension, guessing somewhere around 5-6 years 300-325 million, hoping Howie can structure this to a back loaded deal. And take advantage of the increasing salary cap coming.

2. Somehow lock up Chauncey GJ, offer him a fair 4-5 year. I really don't see Howie investing a draft pick and the way he played here just to let him walk, it will be up to CGJ wether he signs it or leaves to be overpaid.

3. Feel out your vets, Kelce, Cox, Graham. Really evaluate there performances this season. Imo they all earned another contract. I'd be suprised to see all of them back though.

4. Hire a new special teams coach, this has been the worst part of this team all year. Elliot and Lovato are fine but they need to bring in a young long term punter.

5. Draft well.

LT Mailata

C Kelce

I mostly agree with this list with the exception of Slay....he has been invisible for just about half the season....he was no play slay a majority of the season.....I pretty much agree with the rest of your wish list

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

No cap guy but I'd only wanna keep CJ, Bradberry, Hargrave, Isaac, and TJ. In that order

CJGJ is the guy to invest in. Young and a playmaker.

I'd let Bradberry and Isaac go. Bradberrys' replacement should be the pick 30 consideration. Isaac is better than people give him credit but their are others on the bench and a mid-round guard should be added in the draft. Keep TJ and let White go -- Dean is his replacement. I would keep Hargrave and let Cox go. Hopefully Graham is up for a team friendly deal.

Keep Pascal and Lovato, they know the system. Let everyone else walk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I mostly agree with this list with the exception of Slay....he has been invisible for just about half the season....he was no play slay a majority of the season.....I pretty much agree with the rest of your wish list

I expected more outta Slay too, but based on Slays back loaded contract it would cost eagle's more to get rid of him. Add that to having to replace 1 corner rather than 2.

• Like 2

A lot will depend on Gannon's decision. He's not changing his scheme, so if he stays we will likely prioritize guys that fit the scheme. Here's to hoping he takes the Zona job.

1. Hurts extension - No explanation needed

2. Re-sign CJGJ - Young player on the rise in an aging secondary. Bringing him back is a must.

3. MAYBE re-sign Bradberry - IF for whatever reason they can't get CJGJ done, then you move to plan B which is Bradberry. You can't afford to lose both.

4. If Kelce wants to be back, Kelce is back

5. If Kelce isn't back, re-sign Isaac, otherwise let him walk and replace him with Jurgens or a mid round draft pick. Just not enough money to go around.

6. 50/50 on Hargrave - Part of me wants to bring him back, part of me doesn't. This is really the only player I am torn on. I guess it comes down to cost.

7. Graham, Cox, Suh, and Joseph can walk - Suh and Joseph were mercenaries for one SB run. Cox is done. I love Graham and IF he came back on a cheap one year deal that would be cool. I wouldn't invest years and money in him though.

8. Good riddance to Miles Sanders, Kyzyr White, and Marcus Epps. No chance I'm paying Sanders especially after his no show last night. White and Epps suck, period. I don't get how more people don't realize this. I would let TJ go too but you can't replace two starting LB's and I think TJ is the better between he and White. Nakobe moves into the starting lineup.

9. Upgrade special teams - This means new ST's coordinator, new return man, and for the love of god find a good punter.

10. Need to nail the draft for the 3rd straight year - Howie needs to be move down from either 10 or 31, preferably 31 to get some extra day 2 picks. They need to get younger at CB, DL, and I think upgrading the slot receiver position is an underrated need. They can add a good RB to play in tandem with Gainwell and Scott somewhere on day three. I would also say to draft a S on day 1 or day 2 but the Eagles simply don't and won't do that. I have a bad feeling they bring back Epps.

• Like 4

My FA priority list goes:

1. CGJ (a must sign)

2. Bradberry (would like back but will be difficult)

3. Hargrave (if Bradberry not re-signed - certainly not enough money to keep both)

4. Graham (1 year backup level deal. Great 3rd DE plus mentor for the team)

5. Cox (1 year deal - if Hargrave who is the better player is not resigned. This still gives a solid rotation with Davis and Williams)

6. Either White or Edwards (LB wont be a priority for this team so this will come down if one of them is willing to take a team friendly team. Howie will prioritise line depth and secondary).

Sanders, Epps, Seumalo, Dillard, Minshew, Joseph and Suh (assuming Kelce is back) can walk

• Like 1

Free Agency

TJ Edwards is the best LB this team has had in years (and has quietly become one of the better MLB's in the league), he's way better than White, he comes back partnered with Dean if they've any sense.

Gardner Johnson needs to stay because he makes the secondary better, Blankenship is good enough to hold down the other slot.

They should cut Slay on a June 1st designation ostensibly to free up some cap space to sign Bradberry, but he should be gone even if we can't afford Bradberry, Slay's cap number is horrible for the next year and he ain't worth near it to watch him doing his 'I can't believe it' smile and head shake when he get's toasted like he did regularly the last 6 games of this year.

Hargrave I'd love but he's one of the most disruptive DT's in the league and our cap situation isn't getting it all done.

If Kelce is willing to do the team a solid on a deal for one last run at it, he's a top 3 center in the league and is going in the Hall you bring him back, Jurgens can replace Seumalo until he moves across.

Cox and Graham are great Eagles and I'd hate to see either in someone elses jersey but Cox has been diminishing returns for a couple of years, he had a bounce this year because the rest of the D Line was elite, but he isn't near what he was, Sportrac lists Graham as a '23 free agent but his contract page says Graham is signed through '23, so who knows.

Sanders just crapped the bed in the biggest game of his career, he probably ain't getting paid what he wants now, maybe he's willing to talk at a reasonable number now, the guy looked like a top end workhorse rusher for one season of his rookie deal, and he still crapped the bed in the big game, do you answer his calls?  Personally I think Scott or Gainwell as lead back would've put up a 1k year this year, I think Sanders is a moneyball rusher putting up big YPC behind an elite line with a reduced workload compared to the genuine bell cow tailbacks.

Nobody else is worth talking too much about, I'd bring back Pascal for the right price because he's a more reliable #3 receiver than Watkins, Epps is decent cover if a bit erratic, if Scott is happy to stay in a change of pace role at that price, that's fine.  Thank you and goodnight for the rest, Seumalo is probably the hardest decision of them all but I think hanging on to vets because they're part of the furniture rather than refreshing the roster is a big part of why the wheels fell off after '17.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Don’t know what it would save to trade him, but wonder if trading Slay would let them instead keep Bradberry. 

I like Slay, seems like a good locker room guy and was great, but he’s hitting the downside of his career now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Priority 1-5.

5. Draft well.

LT Mailata

C Kelce

I’m pretty much OK with that roster but I want Quez off this team. Too many screw ups, including a brutal drop on an absolute dime from Hurts in the big game. 

• Like 3

Telling you all now. Losing Graham at the end this year will hurt more than losing Dawk

• Like 2

There’s so much dead money due this year it’s going to be difficult to keep a lot of these guys. 

I would focus on CJ, TJ and Hargrave. If Kelce wants to come back you have to find a way to keep him as well. 
I would replace Bradberry with one of our 1st rounders, draft a DL with the other. Replace Sanders with Gainwell and a draft pick, maybe re-sign Scott to a reasonable deal. Replace White with Dean. I would love to keep Seumalo but he’s going to get a huge deal from someone who is desperate for OLine help. Replace him with Driscoll and draft someone in the mid-rounds. You can replace Epps with Blankenship. We can also resign guys like Lovato, Pascal to cheap deals. Unfortunately, there’s no way to fit Cox and Graham unless they come back very cheap which is unlikely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Don’t know what it would save to trade him, but wonder if trading Slay would let them instead keep Bradberry. 

I like Slay, seems like a good locker room guy and was great, but he’s hitting the downside of his career now. 

Totally agree with you....I would rather have Bradberry.....

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Slay's cap number for next year is going to be impossible to trade for a 32year old corner who looked gassed down the stretch, cutting him with a June 1st would solve the issue of a $26.2 million dead cap hit, and save $17million in cap space.

Slay is going to have to take a major restructure to survive on the team, he's hit the backload of his contract and he isn't worth it.

I would prioritize CJ Gardner and TJ Edwards.  I am torn on Hargrave because he is already 30 years old old at this point and could be eligible for a monster deal.  For perspective, Cox is 32 and hasn't been the same player for several years now.  That being said, I have heard criticisms that Cox declined so quickly because he didn't take care of his body.

I don't think we will be able to keep Bradberry, and that worries me because it looks like Slay is a rapidly declining player.

I would let Epps, White, Seumalo, and Sanders walk and draft that latter two players' replacements.